Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

So this weekend I am hitting the range and I'll be renting one of these. I've been eyeballing them and the rifle version for a while now and I wander off back to my 1911 fetish for a bit and then for some reason, I keep coming back to these as a carry weapon and the rifle as an all purpose trail gun.

I wish they still made a non-Judge .45colt on the Tracker frame. They now make it as a 5 shot .44 magnum, so it would handle any load I would want to shoot, and it would be a very nice carry gun. Double action, but smaller than, say, my Dad's S&W Model 25...

Not a weapon. An assassination tool.

I think you are making an unnecessary distinction. An assasination tool designed for killing or rendering an opponent incapable of resistance is a weapon. A venn graph would show assassin's tools to overlap the weapons circle. Tools designed for (or against) surveillance, building entry, etc., would be outside the overlap, but a silent gun that shoots bullets intended to kill or cause grievous bodily harm pretty much fits the common definition of a weapon. Why do you believe this device is not a weapon? Yours it the extraordinary claim here, not mine.

In other news, here are some more weapons, not all of which have the primary purpose of killing people (but I suspect the home-made ones do).

My two faves from the above page?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43116[/ATTACH]

Possibly a movie prop from the looks of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43117[/ATTACH]

I think this is a variation on the "harmonica gun", where the chambers (and in this case, the barrels) slide up or down to give subsequent shots before reloading becomes necessary.

A gun in a museum and the description card (written in Russian, I'm guessing?):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43119[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43120[/ATTACH]

ISTR seeing a photo in a book of a similar concept from the Old West that used the frame of a colt or Smith & Wesson with a similar chain of chambers providing up to 14 shots. Given the 19th-Century attitudes towards waste, I imagine almost no consideration was given to speed of reloading. I imagine the chain is kind of an ungainly, heavy accuracy drain that made the extra shots pretty useless except for densely-packed targets. It's still a clever solution to increase capacity, but I can see problems with carry, concealment, and bulk that would be difficult to solve without radical changes to the design.

Oh, I quite concur - my claim, my evidence. Though I hope we're only going on a preponderance therof...

My claim is based upon the number of features of the item that reduce it's utility as a weapon and increase it's utility as an assassination tool. Of course, anything CAN be used as a weapon - I'm simply seeking to show that such is not it's primary function.

First is the device's size, which is very small, reducing it's visibility and increasing it's concealability, but also inevitably reducing it's weight and thus capacity to reduce felt recoil. Second is the tiny capacity, only two rounds, sufficient for a "double tap" to kill a target, but woefully inadequate in a firefight. Third is the extractor system, or rather, the lack of one, requiring spent rounds to be extracted by hand, as an entire clip, before a new clip can be inserted, making reloading slow and potentially difficult - a fatal flaw in a weapon, but aceptable in an assassination tool, as it grants the ability to police your brass with virtually no effort. Adding further to this problem is that the device is designed to be "cocked and locked" - and as a result, the cocking mechanism for the internal hammers is also cumbersome. Finally, the round chosen is low-velocity, granting the assassin quiet due to a lack of supersonic crack, but restricting him to quite short ranges that are not necessarily required by any armed opponents.

Some may argue that any firearm is a weapon, but I would disagree, on the basis of two examples. First, certain models of nailgun utilize handgun charges to drive nails. Second, while the vast majority are pneumatic, some of the "stun guns" used in abbatoirs also use a cartridge to fire the bolt - which does, in fact, often kill the animal, making this also a case of a firearm that is a killing tool, rather than a weapon.

Of course' date=' anything CAN be used as a weapon - I'm simply seeking to show that such is not it's [i']primary function.[/i]

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weapon

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/weapon

So, yeah, it is a weapon. Specialized? Sure, but no more than a rifle with a high power scope and supply of match grade ammunition.

If you're going to go to dictionary definitions, then I'd purport that by at least one of those: An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword, would exclude this. This is not a combat device, but one rather of murder and spycraft.

(To be perfectly honest, I'm just as happy with your Heisenbergian statement of a few posts ago. But Ssgt Baloo gave me a challenge to defend my position, and I couldn't resist.)

If you're going to go to dictionary definitions' date=' then I'd purport that by at least one of those: [i']An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword, [/i]would exclude this. This is not a combat device, but one rather of murder and spycraft.

(To be perfectly honest, I'm just as happy with your Heisenbergian statement of a few posts ago. But Ssgt Baloo gave me a challenge to defend my position, and I couldn't resist.)

Your position contravenes the agreed-upon definition of a weapon, and has devolved into a battle of semantics. I am not convinced that a device designed for assasination is anything other than a specialized weapon, rather than some definition you are proposing the rest of us buy into. It's an assasination tool for close-in by-surprise work, but it's still a weapon, no less-so than a revolver, a rifle, or the Bulgarian Umbrella.

Your position contravenes the agreed-upon definition of a weapon' date=' and has devolved into a battle of semantics. I am not convinced that a device designed for assasination is anything other than a specialized [i']weapon[/i], rather than some definition you are proposing the rest of us buy into. It's an assasination tool for close-in by-surprise work, but it's still a weapon, no less-so than a revolver, a rifle, or the Bulgarian Umbrella.

I disagree completely. As I pointed out, even by one of the definitions stated, it isn't a weapon.

This is, however, why I didn't argue definitions in my position statement. Once that happens, you really are just talking semantics without discussing the actual merits of the proposal at all.