Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running a commando-turned-mercenary in a freeform RPG and I came up with a notion for his carry weapon.

Imagine this; http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Enfield_bullpup_prototype.jpg with plastic furniture, transparent 30-round plastic magazines, rail interface system, scope, under-barrel clip on 40mm grenade launcher. Also it's ambidextrous so southpaws can use it with equal ease. The fore-end of this version has been cut down so it is now 30 inches (actually making it 3 inches shorter than an M4 with the stock extended) and the barrel reduced from 24.5 inches to 20 inches (same as the Steyr AUG rifle) and given an M16A2 flash hider. I'd like it to be threaded too, to accept a sound suppressor, if possible.

I'm running a commando-turned-mercenary in a freeform RPG and I came up with a notion for his carry weapon.

Imagine this; http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Enfield_bullpup_prototype.jpg with plastic furniture, transparent 30-round plastic magazines, rail interface system, scope, under-barrel clip on 40mm grenade launcher. The fore-end of this version has been cut down so it is now 30 inches (actually making it 3 inches shorter than an M4 with the stock extended) and the barrel reduced from 24.5 inches to 20 inches (same as the Steyr AUG rifle) and given an M16A2 flash hider. I'd like it to be threaded too, to accept a sound suppressor, if possible.

Good choice.   A huge missed opportunity, ruined by US/UK politics.   I saw something interesting a couple weeks ago, apparently Palmetto State Armory or somebody is making "SLAP" armor piercing ammo for 6.8 spc and maybe 5.56 cartridges...

I don't recognise the blunderbuss in the second image, but isn't the first pic a "tacticool" version of the Norinco QBZ-95?

Clicking on the link after the first photo... :-) It's a bullpup AK. The second one looks like a cut-down M79, if Google's image search is to be believed. The optical sight identifies it as a South African refurb.

That bullpup design looks to be an improvement over both the AK and QBZ.  The AK has always suffered from a poor sight radius and horrific ergonomics.  The QBZ is obviously much more modern but like most bullpups is tail heavy.  This design fixes most of the AK flaws, and the exaggerated forward rails should help with the overall balance.  It certainly looks better than the QBZ, which is an incredibly ugly gun.

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

I love this thread! :winkgrin:

Here are the firearms my current Pulp heroine, Veronica Dare, uses the most. She's a total gun bunny.

A highly modified version of the Webley MK 3

webley20mark20220189420gr3.jpg

and the SMLE

dx1090ha0.jpg

My current favorite modern arm, the SCAR in 308.

picture220jq8.jpg

and some of my favorite "fantasy" arms. Mostly "Shirow" inspired weapons.

gcx07dr6.jpg

scorpionbykoroneau2.jpg

018sc2.jpg

bsg02eu6.jpg

lotus5uo8.jpg

Edit: I almost forgot my all time favorite.

c969mm1zp1.jpg

I've got a character in my Pulp campaign who uses a Webley.455, but I think that it is the more standard, long barrel version and another who uses a Broomhandle Mauser, yet another who favours a Savage Automatic (the .380 I think) and one who doesn't like to use guns at all (she's a knife girl !)

That bullpup design looks to be an improvement over both the AK and QBZ.  The AK has always suffered from a poor sight radius and horrific ergonomics.  The QBZ is obviously much more modern but like most bullpups is tail heavy.  This design fixes most of the AK flaws, and the exaggerated forward rails should help with the overall balance.  It certainly looks better than the QBZ, which is an incredibly ugly gun.

I

I suspect that once the "tacticool accessories" are added, other bullpups would feel much better balanced.   I think the EM-1 still looks better balanced than most...  

I have actually thought about trying to get blueprints for it.   Make a few changes for modern production, contact a CNC shop I know...

I don't like the looks of the SCAR so much.  I think it looks a bit better in .308, but it looks kind of clunky to me.   I haven't handled one, so it is just a visual impression.   I still think few guns have as good of ergonomics as the M16 family.   The Colt SMG based on it needed better magazines, but was sweet shooting.   My dad has a funny story about it.   His USAR team went to the AASAM competition in the 90s.  On the submachine gun part of the competition, they set new records, despite not having that much time with the guns.   The next year they set higher records.   After that, they don't seem to have gotten invitations.  

Another very accurate weapon was the AUG wit iirc a 14 inch barrel.   The stiff barrel made it accurate.  It needed a more powerful scope, iirc from what he said. 

• 2 weeks later...

A "safety", you mean?  ;)  Underbarrel shotguns are almost always used for breaching as opposed to combat, so the lack of a grip shouldn't be a problem.  If anything I'd be worried about the trigger being way up front by the end of the barrel where your hand might pick up splinters and shrapnel and whatnot.  I like to keep my hands away from the business end of projectile weapons, especially after the one incident.

• 3 weeks later...