Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Nice catch, freakyboy6117. I would still prefer a Remington 870 in the "Witness Protection" configuration (see spoiler-concealed image below) as my go-to concealable shotgun, but your scattergun would add a touch of distinctiveness to an old-timey gunfighter or new-age survivalist.

Apparently these can actually be legal:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/26/14-mossberg-non-nfa-scattergun/

I just did an image search for "shotgun slug".  There were many images of shotgun slugs.  There were also many images of shotgun slug injuries.  Don't do an image search for "shotgun slug".

Isn't there a way to explicitly omit/cross-out words from search results on a typical search engine?

ballistic gel test of a classic!

Martini-henry .577-.450!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/27/ballistic-gel-test-of-a-577-450-martini-henry/

I wonder how many multiple targets were hit by single bullets at Roarks drift?

Certainly shows why they were effective on heavy game, huge penetration in a straight line. 

Our old.45-70 should perform VERY similarly.    Modern hollowpoints?  yikes. 

sorry for the flood...

This is an amazing comparison of supersonic and subsonic ammo through a suppressor.  

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/26/super-vs-subsonic-9mm-and-22lr/

I should have known better, but I had the impression that the sonic boom of the supersonic ammo would not be as loud as it was. I had heard a lot of rounds going over my head, but at 200-1000 yards, not closer ranges, and those were mostly .308.  

interesting.  

hmmm the can cannon might make and interesting deployment tool for tactical surveillance systems you could launch a unit with a high def video/ thermographic capability over a target with a parachute to give it hang time or shoot one with a self righting system into a room to act as your eyes and ears.

you could even make the thing look like a dented coke can and the chute look like a shopping bag so it can sit on site undisturbed.

hmmm the can cannon might make and interesting deployment tool for tactical surveillance systems you could launch a unit with a high def video/ thermographic capability over a target with a parachute to give it hang time or shoot one with a self righting system into a room to act as your eyes and ears.

you could even make the thing look like a dented coke can and the chute look like a shopping bag so it can sit on site undisturbed.

I like the way you think...

The Russians have a 12.7x55mm round, I think they have a revolver that fires it, but they might have a semi-auto too...Not quite sure why it's possible to get the pressure tolerances on a revolver barrel up to a level where you can fire a .500 S&W but it's too hard to do likewise with a semi-auto...

Unless an unconventional design like the old bushmaster arm pistol is used, normal people can't wrap their hand around a grip much, if any, bigger than a desert eagle. I have shot one, but did not feel comfortable with a one handed grip.

A few of the Coonan .41 magnums pistols might have made it out of the shop before they went under but as iirc it was the failure of their magazine contractor to deliver that killed them.

They are back, but only the .357 magnums.

There are also the .460 Rowland conversions... .44 magnums ballistics in a 1911, though I think they only build them with muzzle breaks to decrease wear on the gun.

I had an afterthought.   You could base the weapon on one of these...

http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/9a-91-e.html

http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/cp-3-cp-3m-vortex-e.html

The basic weapon is in the Russian 9x39mm subsonic.  In terms of power, it is about the same as a hot .45 acp, but it has much better penetration and trajectory.  I suspect the ammo could be loaded hotter, maybe up to 1200 fps or so instead of 950 or whatever.   this would put it into the range of a .44 magnum.   It might even be possible to exceed that, but I have not run the numbers on muzzle energy etc.   

It could also be in standard 7.62x39, I suppose.   Not a super powerful rifle cartridge, but as a pistol...

There are any number of pistol versions based on the AR15, and theoretically one could be chambered in .50 beowulf.   

I don't know if the Kel tec PLR16 could handle that level of power, but it should have no problem whatsoever with .300 blackout, or a number of other cartridges.