Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

The article about it on The Firearm Blog seemed to indicate that this weapon exists for the sole purpose of demonstrating that the AR gas system DOES, in fact, work just fine with very short barrels.

Also notice that the barrel length is less than the overall length of a 5.56 NATO cartridge and you can see the tip of the bullet poking out the muzzle. :P

The movie prop was built on a Thompson M1A1 and a Remington 870 with a SPAS-12 grip.  It looks like that's what they've done here.

In-universe the M41A fired 10mm explosive tipped, caseless, light armor piercing rounds.  Hard to simulate that level of stopping power with anything current.

.50 beowulf, in an AR10 length action, so you can probably seat the Multipurpose APHE round from the Mk211 and still fit it in the magazine.  Loaded to the highest velocity appropriate...  Though I think that projectile may not detonate reliably at under 1100 fps or some such, so it would be questionable...

The same case, or even a .308 case could be loaded with a 10mm projectile, but the APHE is not available in that caliber, afaik.   There are some interesting military loads for the .338 Lapua and .338 Norma, so those bullets could be loaded.  At about 300 grains, Depending on which action and magazine were chosen, and which case was used, it might be possible to get 2200 fps or possibly even more, but... 

Using the Russian 30mm grenades would, realistically, be more practical than the US/Nato 40mm.   Longer, but narrower and longer effective range.  

The 12 ga explosive shells are of limited effectiveness...

Or 25mm grenades, which exist and aren't too much larger than 12 gauge rounds.

True.  

One thing I did not mention is that the magazine capacity could NOT match the movie with anything more than MAYBE 10mm Auto, and I don't think even then.    It is a very impressive round, and there was a magnum version...

thought you guys might find this interesting a internally supressed urban sniper rifle can use sub or super sonic .300 ammo designed for taking out dogs cameras and other nuisances for stealthy urban operator . video shows just how quiet it is the bolt is louder than the subsonic rounds.

Technical Specifications:
Item Number: BT-SPR300
Caliber: .300 Whisper and .300 AAC Blackout
Barrel Twist Rate: 1:8"
Barrel Length: 250mm
Overall Length: 740mm to 1037mm
Weight: 3.4kg
Sound Pressure Level: 121dBA

4ZUbl1P.jpg.jpg

On the pulse rifle magazine, I was thinking a "casket magazine" or some similar quad-stack arrangement.

Edit: Nope, it just won't work. It's geometrically impossible to get 100 rounds of anything with a 10mm diameter into a magazine with that cross-section. 100 round casket magazines are available for the AR platform, but they're about three times the size of the pulse rifle magazine.

If a Quad stack were used, it would probably be reasonable to put 48-60 cartridges in it, if you used the 10mm Pistol round or even the "Magnum" version that never really saw much use.   I think I only saw it in one of the AMT Automag pistols, maybe the Automag 4 (a quick google says I was right) but It never really went anywhere.   I found an article on it, that is interesting. 200 grain bullets at 1500fps out of an 8 3/8ths inch barreled semi auto.   I suspect it would well do 1700+ out of a Carbine length barrel as used on the Gun in question.  

Just for reference, here is the article. http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt10mag.htm

Taffin writes a lot of good information on loading ammunition, for Handguns Mostly.   If you are actually interested in guns and shooting, I recommend browsing his site.