Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

It's just that I see such devices in fiction so often, yet have never heard of such a weapon in reality. Plus, it doesn't seem all that farfetched (to this layman, anyhow).

The video game Dino Crisis had an interesting take on non-dart gun darts: shotgun shell darts. That's right; you could create anesthetic or even poison darts that would fit in a twelve-gauge shotgun. I am only presuming that the needle plus pharmacological/chemical payload were housed in a shotshell, but that makes the most sense given the limitations of a shotgun.

It would probably be possible, but the dosage to incapacitate 75 % or so would probably kill 10%. And that would be within one species. Go to high enough tech, and you could basically put a medicinal in the projectile, that would sense target vitals and administer dosage... it would probably need to be able to administer a counter agent also.

Very spend...

well looking at a manufacturers website doesn't look like they make a multishot item which is unsurprising considering how dangerous Tranq darts actually are outside of movies( you need to measure the drug carefully fir approx body mass of target otherwise it can cause death just like any anesthetic overdose).

the best technique for rapid fire is probably the oldest the Blow gun

hypothetically i'm sure if you used a reduced load and a sabot to keep them steady during firing and the usual tail for level flight. then you could probably put one in a 3" shot gun shell and then use something like a aa 12 or a plain pump action to shoot them.

of course if you allow for some new advance in pharmacology you could easily load paint balls with either a skin absorbing chemical or one that produces a tranquilising gas or vapour on impact .

if you do want to be realistic and not use tranqs shot gun launched Taser rounds do exist for all your long range non lethal take down needs

Yes, I realize that tweaking with dosage is essential for real life administering of drugs via dart gun. However...in a more cinematic setting, such concerns need only be valid if you (as the GM) wish them to be, and if you are using a poison payload, then the subject of safety in regards to the victim pretty much go right out the window.

Plus, the basic mechanism of a multi-shot dart gun, in and of itself, ought to be possible.

---

Anyhow, here is yet another "trick" knife that might help you out of a sticky and deadly situation.

well looking at a manufacturers website doesn't look like they make a multishot item which is unsurprising considering how dangerous Tranq darts actually are outside of movies( you need to measure the drug carefully fir approx body mass of target otherwise it can cause death just like any anesthetic overdose).

the best technique for rapid fire is probably the oldest the Blow gun

hypothetically i'm sure if you used a reduced load and a sabot to keep them steady during firing and the usual tail for level flight. then you could probably put one in a 3" shot gun shell and then use something like a aa 12 or a plain pump action to shoot them.

of course if you allow for some new advance in pharmacology you could easily load paint balls with either a skin absorbing chemical or one that produces a tranquilising gas or vapour on impact .

if you do want to be realistic and not use tranqs shot gun launched Taser rounds do exist for all your long range non lethal take down needs

A revolver could be designed to handle such darts.    Even using compressed air, I suspect. 

Here is a DERRINGER (!) chambered in .45-70.

That hurts just watching it. It's like that guy at the range firing the handcannon, whose barrel ends up nearly pointing behind him, who turns to you and says: "You wanna give it a try?" Nah, I'm good.

ST Kinetics SAR-21

st3.jpg

JUST saw this gun in a movie and was wondering what it was. Thanks. =)

not exactly cool but interesting an improvised shot gun found in Taiwan

Ka2QRCD.jpg

it comes from this site which has a lot more of this sort of thing

Not sure I would want to handle the recoil, but the front heavy structure should help a little.   Reminds me of one of my son's nerf guns, which is what I was thinking about when I mentioned revolvers and tranq darts.  

a cartridge for the AR10 family, that matches a .45-70 with up to 325 gr bullets.  The light 160 grain Barnes Tax-xp copper hollowpoint would be devastating until its horrible ballistics caught up with it.   2950 fps...

http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/performance/

Load it in  The Desert Tech MDR   and there would be 20 rounds of THUMP available.    The .300 grain bullets would probably be the best overall, though if there was no need to shoot targets larger than say caribou, , lighter would work...     

http://deserttech.com/mdr.php

Here's what I came up with:

from http://www.herogames.com/forums/files/file/283-john-wick-6e/

450px-DTA_SRSB.jpg

[5]    DTA Stealth Recon Scout (338 LM):    (Total: 153 Active Cost, 41 Real Cost) RKA 3d6-1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Increased Maximum Range (1,600m; +1/2) (70 Active Points); OAF (SRS-338 LM sniper rifle; -1), STR Minimum 13 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), 5 Charges (.338 Lapua Magnum round; -3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 15) plus +1  OCV with SRS-338 LM (2 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +3 to offset Range modifiers with SRS-338 LM (3 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +1  PER with Sight Group (2 Active Points); Limited Power  Only vs. Darkness Penalties (-1), OAF ( x10 Telescopic Sight; -1), Limited Power Only When Shooter Braces And/Or Sets (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4*) (Real Cost: 1) plus +14 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (21 Active Points); OAF (x10 Telescopic Sight; -1), Limited Power Only When Shooter Braces And/Or Sets (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4*) (Real Cost: 6) plus +14 to offset Range modifier with SRS-338 LM (14 Active Points); Limited Power Only When Shooter Braces And/Or Sets (-1), OAF (x10 Telescopic Sight; -1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to Normal Sight; +1/4) for up to 102 Active Points of SRS-338 LM, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (Flash Suppressor; -1), Limited Power  Only vs. Muzzle Flash (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4*) (Real Cost: 11) plus +1  OCV with SRS-338 LM (2 Active Points); OAF (Folding Bipod; -1), Limited Power Only When Shooter Sets With Bipod (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +2 to offset Range modifier with SRS-338 LM (2 Active Points); Limited Power Only When Shooter Braces With Bipod (-1), OAF (Folding Bipod; -1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)        
(Obtained from target) When used with the Set & Brace maneuvers the combined total bonuses = +3 OCV and +21 vs. Range.  The default Range Modifier @ 2000m = -16.  The weapon's maximum range = 1600m.  The rules for this range do not take into account other extreme ballistic factors like air friction, weather and gravity.

Comments welcome.

HM

• 2 weeks later...

Well, technically even depleted uranium is still somewhat radioactive.  Sadly it is impossible to create an atomic warhead in handgun calibers; critical mass requires a certain... mass.  (At least with current technology; I've often wondered what you could accomplish if you combined Pym particles with enriched uranium.)