Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

I don't see .338 Lapua Magnum in there, but it's still awesome.

A fairly popular caliber among gamers, so, yes, it's exclusion hurts the "completeness" of the picture a bit. I will add ".458 Winchester Magnum", as that is becoming a favorite caliber of mine *and* it is a widely accepted hunting round for big game. .700 Nitro Express would also be sweet.

Still, you can't please everybody...unless "everybody" is a minute pool of individuals, anyhow 8-P.

Nor is there a shell of 6.5*55.

Now that is niche :fear:. You've already got 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 Remington Special, which are uncommon enough.

Only in the US, you know. It's pretty common over here, I'm given to understand. If I ever get a hunting license, it will be the caliber of my rifle.

6.5x55 is not super common here, but has its adherents... rabid ones! I bought one for my wife. It is a superb cartridge, and if I could have only one medium caliber RIFLE, it would be in my top 5 choices. .308, .30-06, 7mm mauser or 7.92 mauser would be the others. 6.5x55 and 7mms are probably the best balanced, realistically.

If I could only have ONE centerfire cartridge rifle, the traditional choice would be .375 H&H. Though handloading would be required for some roles;-)

Sorry, rambling digression over

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the followers of this thread.

Assuming cost was not a major factor, If you had to choose just ONE pistol for personal defense what would you choose?

I've been thinking about this one lately. I've narrowed it down to either a S&W M&P 9 or 9c or a hammer-fired pistol like a SIG SP2022 or one of the decocker-only CZ variants that's in the same ballpark size range. ("Compact" for most companies, about Glock 19 size, with a 4-ish inch barrel and a slightly shorter than full sized grip frame.) Though I already have a S&W M&P Shield, so it'd be a second gun. The Shield is flat, but not such a weight-saver given the lower capacity.

Probably one of the Springfield Armory XD series, or the EAA Witness line. Both fit my hand better than most double stack design. One nice thing about the latter is convertible nature, 9mm, .40, 10mm, or .45 on same frame. Steel or polymer versions available.

Though I am pretty happy with my Kimber, .45 cartridge is bulky and low capacity. .40 is IMO a good compromise.

Kahr might be a good option.

I have not had much experience with S&W semi autos.

I can certainly see a role for the Springfield Xds guns, super compact but effective calibers. But they are specialized for concealed carry.

The Beretta 92FS Cenrurion gets my vote.

The fuller M9A1 sits nicely in my hands, but I would be more inclined to constantly carry a smaller variant of the basic Beretta 92 frame if I had to.

I haven't entirely ruled out a newer, slimmed-down Beretta 92. The M9 was a bit too chunky for comfort for me in the military (fortunately, we were still issued 1911s ... mixed blessing that.) I've got shortish fingers, so I'd have to try one on for size. Sharing magazines with the Beretta carbine is also a plus, in case we get invaded by Cylons.

I do prefer a decoker-only to the slide-mounted safety, though. PX4s can be converted to decocker-only, not sure what the offerings are in the 92 line.

• 1 month later...

Question for the followers of this thread.

Assuming cost was not a major factor, If you had to choose just ONE pistol for personal defense what would you choose?

A suppressed 9mm CZ Scorpion Evo 3A1 with short barrel and folding stock.  Hey, you said cost was not a major factor ... and this isn't something I can afford in any variant except the civilian CZ Scorpion Evo 3S1 varietal.  Worth a quick look:

P.S. You said personal defense; you didn't say what kind​ of personal defense!  Obviously this wouldn't be holstered, but belongs more on the homestead.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather go for the original Czech model Skorpion. Smaller, battle-tested design, and I understand significantly more reliable.

Chambered for a significantly weaker caliber. I haven't heard of any reliability issues with the CZ. I was thinking of the carbine version at some point, so if you have links about that, I'd be interested.

No link, a friend of mine has had nothing but trouble with his. Still, could well just be a lemon example - most of the reviews seem positive.

I actually prefer a lighter calibre gun for FA fire (not that I get to all that often) as I'm not that big a guy and I have control issues with heavier rounds and recoil.