Post-Apocalyptic Hero -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Re: Post-Apocalyptic Hero -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Going back to the "how long things last" discussion for a moment:

I previously posted a link to a USDA fact sheet on how long canned goods last. Well, a friend pointed out that home canning is an entirely different matter; high-acid foods home-canned in glass jars will last far longer than food in commercial metal cans. Even more helpful, the "pop-up" button on the lid will let you know if/when the jar has gone bad.

So, what you're saying is "country folks will survive"?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to see anything that I would call a good argument in favour of this idea. Just sayin...

The Cold War was global in scale...nearly every country on Earth had picked a side (even if some changed sides a time or two). It boiled up into hot war several times, although on a limited scale, and at any given time at least one side was fought by proxy. Unless "World War" has a requirement to be both hot and global, the Cold War should count. Or at least there's the argument.

More importantly, you didn't comment on the Road Warrior factor. You can't cherry pick your arguments here, archermoo. ;)

The Cold War was global in scale...nearly every country on Earth had picked a side (even if some changed sides a time or two). It boiled up into hot war several times, although on a limited scale, and at any given time at least one side was fought by proxy. Unless "World War" has a requirement to be both hot and global, the Cold War should count. Or at least there's the argument.

More importantly, you didn't comment on the Road Warrior factor. You can't cherry pick your arguments here, archermoo. ;)

I'd say that for it to qualify as a World War there needs to be active fighting that involves a large percentage of the countries in the world. The Cold War was certainly unplesant, but it hadly qualifies as a real war.

And as to the Road Warrior factor, I wasn't arguing against your main statement, just the idea that the Cold War qualifies as World War III. :P

Haven't we learned the errors of our ways? Isn't this the sort of thing that destroyed civilization in the first place?

And so another classic Post-Apocalyptic theme manifests itself once again....

Speaking of which, does anyone know when Jericho's coming back on? Those guys were right in the middle of some errors of our ways when the (stupid, stupid) TV execs ended it.

Speaking of which' date=' does anyone know when Jericho's coming back on? Those guys were right in the middle of some errors of our ways when the (stupid, stupid) TV execs ended it.[/quote']

Mid season. whenever that is.

::sigh:: I keep hearing about more and more great PA books and films and such. As usual I wish I had about twice as much time to research. ;)
Start earlier. You might want to begin running through Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' date=' [i']Babylon 5[/i], the Avengers comics, and similar stuff now, in preparation for The Ultimate Base. ;)

The Home Alone movies might not hurt, either. :D