"All or Nothing" Power Limitation.....

shafti76

Re: "All or Nothing" Power Limitation.....

Just checking opinions on what the modifier should be for "All or Nothing" meaning if someone had 4 levels of Growth, but had to be max height whenever they activated the power. I'm thinking 1/4.

Just to clarify, do you mean that the character has to stay at the full 4

levels of growth size whenever he/she uses that power at all ? Or is it just

that they have to "shoot up" to the full size and then after a phase (or

three) they can modify their growth level ? Because the first example is

(obviously :) ) worth a greater modifier than the second.....

-Carl-

With only 4 levels of growth I think it's basically a -0. It's just not limiting in any significant way since the character only has two real sizes anyhow: 2m and 4m.

If the character had 6+ levels of Growth, then it might be worth -1/4.

With only 4 levels of growth I think it's basically a -0. It's just not limiting in any significant way since the character only has two real sizes anyhow: 2m and 4m.

I never liked that way of thinking (no offence Bloodstone)

The reason limitations work the way they do (By taking a proportion of the points instead of a fixed amount) is that as the power becomes more powerful the limitation becomes more limiting

to use are growth power here, at 20 points of power the character is going to save 4 points, at the 75 point level he will save 15. Of course mister 75 points worth is going to have larger problems, this does not entitle him to a larger limitation, just a larger point savings.

Just my oipinion, ymmv

The problems a 2m vs 4m character run into In Game will vary greatly from game to game.

Overall however, the Power itself is somehow not as fully flexible as an Unlimited version.

But there's more to it - every 5pts of Growth is x2 Mass, at 4 Levels you're character weighs 1600kg, not an insignificant change in mass. So now the character has also 2 Masses only - 100kg and 1600kg.

They now have to pay attention to the weight threshold of the floor they're standing on. I'd call that favoring the side of -1/4.

Just to clarify, do you mean that the character has to stay at the full 4

levels of growth size whenever he/she uses that power at all ? Or is it just

that they have to "shoot up" to the full size and then after a phase (or

three) they can modify their growth level ? Because the first example is

(obviously :) ) worth a greater modifier than the second.....

-Carl-

He has to stay at max height while the power is active. Thanks for all the replys I'm going to go with 1/4.

While I have your attention anymore thoughts on this: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56432

Thanks a lot.

I never liked that way of thinking (no offence Bloodstone)

The reason limitations work the way they do (By taking a proportion of the points instead of a fixed amount) is that as the power becomes more powerful the limitation becomes more limiting

No offense taken.

The power is obviously more limited than plain vanilla Growth, but IMO it's just not that limiting at that level of power.

Could I take the limitation if it was only one level of growth? :sneaky:

There are points where a limitation is such a minor hindrance that it's just not worth points. My bar on this issue is apparently set higher than everyone else...

Mind you, I would like to see the rest of the character to see what the player is going for (and to check if he has flight ;) )

The Character is a basic brick with some growth linked to density increase. His powers are either "on at full strength" or "off". No flight but some Leaping. BTW, I dont think the limitation applies to 1 lvl of a power if your going by the "Spirit" of the rule IMHO.

Any help on the Density link would be awesome, that one has me stumped for a good way to do it.

Thanks again....

No offense taken.

The power is obviously more limited than plain vanilla Growth, but IMO it's just not that limiting at that level of power.

Could I take the limitation if it was only one level of growth? :sneaky:

There are points where a limitation is such a minor hindrance that it's just not worth points. My bar on this issue is apparently set higher than everyone else...

Mind you, I would like to see the rest of the character to see what the player is going for (and to check if he has flight ;) )

My thoughts on the bold

not really, as a power becomes cheaper the less points you are saving, so for the one level of growth you are saving 1 point, hope that skill fam comes in useful as the down sides of being 8' tall and 400 or so lbs