Dumbest thing...

ParagonAlpha

So I was thinking about this. Comic Book writers have done some dumb things. I was wondering what you all thought was the dumbest thing ever done.

One caveat. The thing done can't have been written with the intent of being dumb. It has to have been done with the intent of actually being cool.

I'll go first.

Wolverine regenerating from just one drop of blood in Uncanny X-Men Annual #11.

LAME!!!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dumbest thing...

The Marvel/DC Amalgam crossover, with the fans voting on who would win various confrontations. Lobo vs. Wolverine: they disappear together behind a bar, supposedly tussling. A couple of panels later Wolverine emerges, implicitly victorious. Obviously the comic's creators couldn't think of any credible way to depict such a ludicrous outcome.

Runner up is the conclusion to DC's Armageddon 2001 miniseries, when the identity of the new master villain Monarch is revealed to be the one character who makes absolutely no sense given everything else shown and implied during the series. I spent the next hour after I read it repeating, utterly incredulously, "HAWK?!"

Pssst. Civil War was mentioned back in the 6th post....

Anyhow, my contributions:

Superman was never Superboy post-crisis. Spelled disaster for the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Wonder Woman never appeared in Man's World till AFTER Donna Troy had long been active.

Squirrel Girl beat up Doctor Doom. Squirrel Girl beat up Thanos. It's being used for humor fodder now by Dan Slott in the Great Lakes Initiative (formerly Avengers, formerly Xmen, formerly...) but at the time it was serious work.

Hawkeye dies because he's too stupid to take off his quiver and ditch it before his explosive arrow blows up. Even though he tells people it's going to blow up. So he straps on a kree jetpack and flies up to the Kree ship to blow it up....

Pssst. Civil War was mentioned back in the 6th post....

Carp, I'd missed that. Sorry. It's just that I'd expected a LOT more Civil War gripes, based on previous experience here.

As for my nominee: The Phoenix Force.

The Dark Phoenix story, especially the conclusion, was one of the most poignant and moving in the genre to that point. To throw that away, to say in essence "It didn't really happen that way" just to have Jean available for yet another X-book was just plain stupid.

I liked all the ones posted, but I have to mention...

Killing Supergirl. Then bringing her back as Matrix (which I could forgive if that was the end of it), then merging her into Linda Danvers to reboot her back into a new Supergirl (which again I could almost forgive, even if it is very convenient to find a human who happened to have the same name and simular build to an alter ego that only the fans remember).

And then things got strange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Danvers

Oh come on, Dazzler's fine - as long as she's not in love with Longshot at the time.

My vote would be the third Summers brother.

Or more likely Captain Universe. :thumbup:

I'd agree on Captain Universe.

The recent mini about him reminded me in the clearest way why I hate Silver Age idiocy.

Bleh, boring, mind numbing, juvenile, you name it, it was total crap.

TB

These are probably a little more obscure than most, but it's a tie for me.

Dumbest use of powers by non Plastic Man characters- Flash using his super speed to carry on both sides of a conversation by running back and forth across a room and changing clothes so fast that no one noticed.

Dumbest non use of powers-Robotman gets hit by a car and separated into 2 halves, legs on on side of the road and arms on the other. He braids a rope out of grass and spends hours trying to lasso his legs instead of CRAWLING across the road.

Dumbest thing to happen to a character- Waiting till now to kill Cap. They should have done it years ago, look at all the interest it's created.

I don't recall which issue this was, but a long ago Iron Man fight had his suit frozen/paralyzed. Stuck in the frozen suit, he's about to be hit by the enemy's huge energy blast, when .....

It turns out that the Iron Man suit is really paper-thin micro-chainmail fortified by force fields. So Tony peels himself out the tinfoil-like suit through the back so that the enemy can't see him leave. He then quickly dives into a nearby ditch to avoid the blast, before sneaking around behind the enemy to surprise him.

Right, so I dare you to:

1. peel yourself out the back of your clothes,
  2. without visibly moving your clothes (which are frozen anyway)
  3. without the tear being visible from the front
  4. (and yet still big enough for you to escape through),

and then, hiding behind your clothes, dive into a ditch....without being seen. Oh, and do all this in the time it takes the enemy to gloat a little and charge up an energy blast - a few seconds.