Dumbest thing...

ParagonAlpha

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dumbest thing...

Civil War with the whole Cap and Shield have a 30 second conversation and then they turn on him ?

Or Speedball surviving and deciding to wear a costume that hurt him ?

Or the idiot end to Civil War with civilians tackling Cap and then Cap surrendering ?

Identity Crisis with the first victim. Somebody somewhere has to have a marriage that works and they don't get hurt. That happens in real life so why not in the comics ? Doing this to Sue was wrong.

Worse was the whole Sue was raped by Dr Light annd then we messed with his mind business to make him incompetant.

And finally Jean Loring becomes Eclipso. Yeah right.

Spiderman is a clone. Drivel.

Norman Osborn is still alive ? Rubbish.

The OMAC robots in Batman.

The retcon that made Maxwell Lord a villain after previous history had said he could not be one.

Scarlet Witch killing off all the mutants.

Turning Hal Jordon into Parallax and then forgiving him. Like no.

Identity Crisis with the first victim. Somebody somewhere has to have a marriage that works and they don't get hurt. That happens in real life so why not in the comics ? Doing this to Sue was wrong.

Emphasis added. This isn't a "comics" issue, it's a "serialized fiction" issue. How many soap opera marriages work and no one gets hurt? Not many, I suspect. Why? Because writers need plotlines. Here in the "real world", I don't have to have something exciting and new happen every day or two to keep the readers/viewers coming back. I doubt a show based on my life would have a wide long-term appeal, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't watch a show based on most other peoples' lives. We're really not interested in filling our escapism time with actual "reality".

To Sue specifically, I was quite taken aback by her death. It was unexpected and, as a consequence, dramatic. Should certain characters be tagged as "off limits"? Many already are - we're not going to see Superman or Lois killed off any time soon. They have too much value as an ongoing property. Of course, that means, when we read the book, we already know that, somehow, they'll make it out OK, and that takes away some of the suspense. Just like we know it's the guy we don't recognize in the Red Shirt who won't be coming back - the bridge crew will all make it out OK.

There's two certainties in serials like this. If nothing ever changes, the fanswill complain about stagnation. If anything changes, the fans will complain about the change. Bottom line: They're going to complain, so do whatever sells the most books/rakes in the most viewers.

I quite liked the idea of making him the new Spectre - he couldn't be a Green Lantern any more, couldn't have a "normal" life any more, but could contribute, and perhaps work his way to some kind of redemption. It actually fit rather well.

But then they ditched that because (I presume) some fan of Hal from the past decided he Must Be Green Lantern Again.

Breaking the 4th wall as a regular schtick. Booo hisss to She-Hulk and Deadpool who are otherwise ok characters.

By the time I started reading She-Hulk, the only real fourth wall breaking type stuff I ever saw was the way her law firm has that big collection of Marvel back issues (authorized serial biographies) to research from. Okay, it's a goofy bit, but it doesn't bug me like a lot of the stuff in the fourth-wall-breaking thread would. Did I miss a period where it was more prevalent/cutesy? I heard about that Comics Code clothing tag bit... Oh well, I really like She-Hulk; hope they don't go quite that far with the schtick again.

By the time I started reading She-Hulk' date=' the only real fourth wall breaking type stuff I ever saw was the way her law firm has that big collection of Marvel back issues (authorized serial biographies) to research from. Okay, it's a goofy bit, but it doesn't bug me like a lot of the stuff in the fourth-wall-breaking thread would. Did I miss a period where it was more prevalent/cutesy? I heard about that Comics Code clothing tag bit... Oh well, I really like She-Hulk; hope they don't go quite that far with the schtick again.[/quote']

John Byrne's run(s) on She Hulk both had the 4-th wall thing as the major schtick. Some of it was actually quite funny...

By the time I started reading She-Hulk' date=' the only real fourth wall breaking type stuff I ever saw was the way her law firm has that big collection of Marvel back issues (authorized serial biographies) to research from. Okay, it's a goofy bit, but it doesn't bug me like a lot of the stuff in the fourth-wall-breaking thread would. Did I miss a period where it was more prevalent/cutesy? I heard about that Comics Code clothing tag bit... Oh well, I really like She-Hulk; hope they don't go quite that far with the schtick again.[/quote']

At one point (issue #3, IIRC), to get across town quickly, she ripped open the panel of the comic and she and her entourage ran through. The next page was a parody of the American Comics ad that you saw in EVERY Marvel Comic of that era, with She-Hulk and co walking across it, then they 'ripped' into the first panel of the next page.

Civil War?

Civil War was fine; It was like the whole mutant idiocy that marvel has been living off for 20 years, but with, you know, common sense.

:saturn:

Er. I'm going to pretend you didn't put Civil War and Common Sense in the same sentence.

:D

Civil War with the whole Cap and Shield have a 30 second conversation and then they turn on him ?

Or Speedball surviving and deciding to wear a costume that hurt him ?

Or the idiot end to Civil War with civilians tackling Cap and then Cap surrendering ?

Worse was the whole Sue was raped by Dr Light annd then we messed with his mind business to make him incompetant.

And finally Jean Loring becomes Eclipso. Yeah right.

Spiderman is a clone. Drivel.

Norman Osborn is still alive ? Rubbish.

The OMAC robots in Batman.

The retcon that made Maxwell Lord a villain after previous history had said he could not be one.

Scarlet Witch killing off all the mutants.

Norman Osborne getting Gwen Stacy Pregnant.

Norman Osborne getting Gwen Stacy Pregnant.

I saw a rumor somewhere that it was supposed to be Pete's kids, but when Editorial actually saw the work they changed it to Osborne.

Which kind of brings to mind what are these editors thinking when they have a story half finished, then start screaming change it? Why didn't they think of this stuff ahead of time?

CES

One I just mentioned in an earlier post. Secret Wars, dog pile on Beyonder. Hulk and She Hulk are pounding away with every ounce of strength. Thor is throwing Mjollnr as hard as he possibly can. And Captain America decides he can make an iota of difference in the fight by flinging his shield at the Beyonder.

FYI, the Beyonder was an intelligent *universe* that happened to notice the Marvel Universe next door, and decided to see what he could do to make it more interesting.

Midas

I saw a rumor somewhere that it was supposed to be Pete's kids, but when Editorial actually saw the work they changed it to Osborne.

Which kind of brings to mind what are these editors thinking when they have a story half finished, then start screaming change it? Why didn't they think of this stuff ahead of time?

CES

Well afaik they looked like Pete and Gwen. Cause kids look exactly like their parent's arch enemies.

And the boy became a Green Goblin. Dunno what happened with the girl

'Cause someone just has to say it...

Pretty much every current plotline in every book DC and Marvel are putting out.

Why I don't read them at all any more. :(

Yeah, yeah, I know, each one of you will point to this book or that and say, "But this one is good!"

To me, those are just the exceptions that prove the rule. The two companies no longer publish comics for the stories; they're just marketing tools to pimp their other stuff (movies, toys, etc.) There's no love for the source material, and it shows... :mad:

Oh...there's been plenty of dumb things in comics...but...as I'm reading this set of issues right now...I'll say this one....Mutant Massacre. A bunch of supposedly great professional killers(who nobody has ever heard of-yeah right) manage to kill a bunch of no-name Morlocks. That's right....read it closely....not a single Morlock with a code name actually dies. Some massacre...and it features annoying things like the "powering up" of Sabretooth(both in terms of actual ability and character importance). At one point he takes a full power blast from Cyclops and gets up in like under a minute. Uh HUH! Right. The brilliant explanation...." that chump didn't count on my healing factor." Yawn....stupid. Too many other annoyances to list here, but it was the start of "events" every year...which we still suffer from today.

Rob

FYI, the Beyonder was an intelligent *universe* that happened to notice the Marvel Universe next door, and decided to see what he could do to make it more interesting.

Midas

Did he ultimately incarnate as Joe Quesada, just to get even with the heroes?

One I just mentioned in an earlier post. Secret Wars' date=' dog pile on Beyonder. Hulk and She Hulk are pounding away with every ounce of strength. Thor is throwing Mjollnr as hard as he possibly can. And Captain America decides he can make an iota of difference in the fight by flinging his shield at the Beyonder.[/quote']

At least it wasn't a Batarang. ;)

Oh...there's been plenty of dumb things in comics...but...as I'm reading this set of issues right now...I'll say this one....Mutant Massacre. A bunch of supposedly great professional killers(who nobody has ever heard of-yeah right) manage to kill a bunch of no-name Morlocks. That's right....read it closely....not a single Morlock with a code name actually dies. Some massacre...and it features annoying things like the "powering up" of Sabretooth(both in terms of actual ability and character importance). At one point he takes a full power blast from Cyclops and gets up in like under a minute. Uh HUH! Right. The brilliant explanation...." that chump didn't count on my healing factor." Yawn....stupid. Too many other annoyances to list here, but it was the start of "events" every year...which we still suffer from today.

Rob

Don't forget years later that this was also Gambit's (second lamest X-man ever) horrible secret. That he unlocked the door to the Morlock tunnels.

One I just mentioned in an earlier post. Secret Wars, dog pile on Beyonder. Hulk and She Hulk are pounding away with every ounce of strength. Thor is throwing Mjollnr as hard as he possibly can. And Captain America decides he can make an iota of difference in the fight by flinging his shield at the Beyonder.

Midas

Secret Wars was a masterpiece in comic book literature compared to Secret Wars II.