Dumbest thing...

ParagonAlpha

Re: Dumbest thing...

My votes are for Batman and Wolverine. The two most over-rated, over-powered, and over-used characters of Marvel & DC. Batman has gone from detective to facing off with Darksied, and Wolverine has gone from barley non-physco to samurai trained super-spy. Lame.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget years later that this was also Gambit's (second lamest X-man ever) horrible secret. That he unlocked the door to the Morlock tunnels.

Are you kidding me?(Seriously, was not aware of that.) That's even dumber. The Morlocks weren't on lockdown or anything and they weren't that well kept a secret either. And The Marauders hardly needed a "key" to reach them. Ugh....my brain hurts...

Rob

One I just mentioned in an earlier post. Secret Wars, dog pile on Beyonder. Hulk and She Hulk are pounding away with every ounce of strength. Thor is throwing Mjollnr as hard as he possibly can. And Captain America decides he can make an iota of difference in the fight by flinging his shield at the Beyonder.

I don't see the problem with that. It's worth a try. Maybe the other guys would have succeeded in battering down the Beyonder's forcefield. Maybe the Beyonder would just turn out to be allergic to vibranium. Champions has coordinated attacks just so weaker characters can in theory contribute versus characters with defenses too high to be hurt, just like in the comic books, right?

How about the plotline where it was revealed that Tony Stark had been the mind-control slave of Kang for several years, then died, then was replaced by a 15 year old version of himself from an alternate dimension?

"Iron Kid" actually lasted in continuity for most of a year before Heros Reborn rebooted him.

And it burned.

I'm going to cast my lot for:

Civil War.

Spider-Clone.

Hawkeye's Stupid Death.

The "Iron Age on Steroids" of the 1990s ("get me a bandoleer and huge shoulderpads a la Liefield please").

Recurrent return of villains/heroes who have been happily dead for decades (Phoenix/Green Goblin, I'm looking in your direction).

(re Captain America trying to take out Beyonder with his shield)

I don't see the problem with that. It's worth a try. Maybe the other guys would have succeeded in battering down the Beyonder's forcefield. Maybe the Beyonder would just turn out to be allergic to vibranium. Champions has coordinated attacks just so weaker characters can in theory contribute versus characters with defenses too high to be hurt' date=' just like in the comic books, right?[/quote']

Really? Don't recall that rule (but I've not studied 5ER to the point of knowing it like I would if running a game).

Story wise, it was way too early in the plot for a surprise like that. And even so, in the next panel, the Marvel Bricks were still pounding away.

OK, Beyonder was a totally, literally, cosmic villain: As much PD and CON as he wanted, knockback resistance of -1000 or so ;) , etc. So after four of the heaviest bricks in Marvel Universe (Thing was there too), did little more than get his attention, what was a glorified hubcab going to accomplish? :rolleyes:

Granted, the shield *could* have done something unforeseen and useful, but even in Superheroic fiction, I wouldn't have bet much on it.

Midas

My votes are for Batman and Wolverine. The two most over-rated' date=' over-powered, and over-used characters of Marvel & DC. Batman has gone from detective to facing off with Darksied, and Wolverine has gone from barley non-physco to samurai trained super-spy. Lame.

And just why is this lame? Is it because they didn't stick with the original "barely non-psycho" part or that they later developed him into a samurai trained super spy?

Honestly folks I'm getting sick of people bashing on Wolvie just because he happens to be a popular character. Yes, they've some done some REALLY dumb things with him (his "Origin" specifically is the one that I don't like) but that can be said for just about every comic book character out there.

Question for ya Liaden, are you upset about the whole "Lobo vs Wolvie" thing because Wolvie won of because they didn't actually show the fight?

Ok, enough ranting about Wolvie . . . sorry guys.

My personal fav is the Punisher that is now "The soldier of God with access to God's arsenal". (Oh and he can't kill people either)

Please Forgive me but I am going to open up my scope a lil bit.

The disasterous 7 who formed IMAGE COMICS (Mostly Artist who must have thought writing was easy) save for Savage Dragon... I found it entertaining if not always tasteful.

Whatever acclaim did to Valiant Comics.

Spider Clone Saga

This New Spiderman is the embodiement of some spider spirit hocus BS!

Anything Infinity after Gauntlet (omg did that get beat into the ground)

uhm canceling Justice League Unlimited (I was enjoying it as I was not a true devotee of the DCU it gave me a very nice overview)

Wolverine back stories which are actually implanted memories.

Endless Retcons...

Ty

Brogahn

And just why is this lame? Is it because they didn't stick with the original "barely non-psycho" part or that they later developed him into a samurai trained super spy?

Honestly folks I'm getting sick of people bashing on Wolvie just because he happens to be a popular character. Yes, they've some done some REALLY dumb things with him (his "Origin" specifically is the one that I don't like) but that can be said for just about every comic book character out there.

Question for ya Liaden, are you upset about the whole "Lobo vs Wolvie" thing because Wolvie won of because they didn't actually show the fight?

My personal fav is the Punisher that is now "The soldier of God with access to God's arsenal". (Oh and he can't kill people either)

Wolverine is so overexposed in marvel (or at least was in the 90's) that it wasn't even funny. And so many x-men problems were solved by the incredible Bub Snikt that it was laughable.

I thought the beastial man becoming a samurai bit was cool.

I'm less enthused by the 100 year old superspy fought alongside everyone throught the ages and is totally unbeatable except when he's not.

I've always wanted to somehow rewrite that Wolverine/Lobo "fight" into a drinking contest - they both realise the whole fight thing is ridiculous, so why not settle it with beer?

Of course, it's still silly that Wolvie wins, but at least that would have been amusing...

This New Spiderman is the embodiement of some spider spirit hocus BS!

It's not new. It goes back to 1979, actually, and has come up since then at least once. I can't comment on how dumb the current implementation might or might not be, since I don't follow Spider-Man.

Spiderman accidently killing Gwen in such a way that it would have required Ol' Petey to have the I.Q. of a bananna peel. Enough said.

Sorry, but that goes all the way back to ASM 120. And for the most part, Peter wasn't aware that he was the one that killed her. He always blamed the Goblin.

Sorry' date=' but that goes all the way back to ASM 120. And for the most part, Peter wasn't aware that he was the one that killed her. He always blamed the Goblin.[/quote']

ASM 120 asserted that the urban myth that a person in a long fall dies before hitting bottom was true, and that Gwen was already dead when Spidey caught her. Under that (pre-retconning) interpretation, Spidey didn't kill her - the Goblin did.

ASM 120 asserted that the urban myth that a person in a long fall dies before hitting bottom was true' date=' and that Gwen was already dead when Spidey caught her. Under that (pre-retconning) interpretation, Spidey didn't kill her - the Goblin did.[/quote']

ASM 121 is where it happens...

When Spidey tries catching her with the webbing (snaring her legs), there is a "snap" sound effect by her head.

And it was the Goblin, not Spiderman or a narrator caption, that was pushing the idea of "dead before hitting bottom," so he was taking credit for the death at least.

It's not new. It goes back to 1979' date=' actually, and has come up since then at least once. I can't comment on how dumb the current implementation might or might not be, since I don't follow Spider-Man.[/quote']

An old bad idea is still a bad idea. Garbage doesn't improve with age after all. But then the again they've given spider man poisonously radative...body fluids in one alternate fluids in one time line...

No. My gripe with Wolvie's change is that he was much more interesting to read back when he was barely psycho. You never knew if the new challenge was going to push him over the edge. When Clairmont/Byrne/Austin were doing this X-men, the series was at its best IMO. I think the writers tried to take a character who growing in popularity thanks to Byrne liking to draw him, and tried to make him into everything cool. Which IMO makes him lame.

If you like Wolvie, great enjoy. I don't.

My vote is for the retconning of the latest Superboy to be a clone of Superman and Lex g*ddamn Luthor. For the love of somebody, can't people leave well enough alone? And the developing "Kryptonian" powers took away the one thing that made him interesting -- his super telekinesis. I happily would have paid $3.00 an issue for several years to watch The Kid grow up to be his own hero, honoring the Big Blue Boy-Scout but becoming his own man as well.

My second nomination has to be whatever crossover storyline DC ran that had the adults become kids and the sidekicks become adults. :P

(re Captain America trying to take out Beyonder with his shield)

Really? Don't recall that rule (but I've not studied 5ER to the point of knowing it like I would if running a game).

Story wise, it was way too early in the plot for a surprise like that. And even so, in the next panel, the Marvel Bricks were still pounding away.

OK, Beyonder was a totally, literally, cosmic villain: As much PD and CON as he wanted, knockback resistance of -1000 or so ;) , etc. So after four of the heaviest bricks in Marvel Universe (Thing was there too), did little more than get his attention, what was a glorified hubcab going to accomplish? :rolleyes:

Granted, the shield *could* have done something unforeseen and useful, but even in Superheroic fiction, I wouldn't have bet much on it.

Midas

Well, what else was he going to do? Where there other options available that would have been more effective? Was it just a desperation thing? Did Cap doing it actually make the situation any worse? Serious questions, since I'm only mariginally familiar with Secret Wars. It sounds like he was taking a "what the h**?" shot. If it didn't hurt anything then it was better than standing there not doing anything at all or just giving up (from a purely game perspective, there's no way to tell if some minute damage isn't seeping through from the combined hits and every little bit helps, maybe the Beyonder has Damage Reduction. :) )

Cap has always been a never give up/go down swinging type. In The Infinity Gauntlet storyline, after the heavy hitters had failed, his sheild was shattered, he still took a swing as Thanos, probably well aware it would do nothing but he was going to die anyway so it was an act of defiance (and probably some desperation as well). That attitude has been one of the things that's helped him triumph against overwhelming odds in the past instead of just sitting out when things look grim. If there were other significant options, I agree it was pretty silly for Cap to resort to the shield.