Dumbest thing...

ParagonAlpha

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dumbest thing...

Well, what else was he going to do? Where there other options available that would have been more effective? Was it just a desperation thing? Did Cap doing it actually make the situation any worse? Serious questions, since I'm only mariginally familiar with Secret Wars. It sounds like he was taking a "what the h**?" shot. If it didn't hurt anything then it was better than standing there not doing anything at all or just giving up (from a purely game perspective, there's no way to tell if some minute damage isn't seeping through from the combined hits and every little bit helps, maybe the Beyonder has Damage Reduction. :) )

If there were other significant options, I agree it was pretty silly for Cap to resort to the shield.

Well, like I said, it was "dogpile on Beyonder." Everybody who was anybody in the Marvel Universe was there. And *everybody* was drawn as getting their perferred licks in. Professor X might have been hurling Ego blasts or whatever he calls them. ;) So it was a a drawing of everyone in the fight doing something they could. The "cap could have done something" idea works if there had been a thought balloon or narration saying something about "One last desperate chance..." As it was, Cap was an extra, looking busy instead of standing there like a pole, which was a good thing. It was particularly galling because later in the free for all battles, characters would be in the midst of a fight, then in the next frame, had been knocked out (Shulkie had that problem). If Cap had nothing to do, keep him off screen to keep him from looking silly.

For comparison, I'm not familiar with Lobo, but I take it that Wolverine was totally outclassed? Similar deal here. I think the howls would have been long and loud if a normal had taken out a cosmic character.

Because mine are burried deeply in long storage, could some one else see if they can find and post the scene in question? If you see the frame, maybe it will make sense.

Then again, what I find absurd unknamed regular poster others will undoubtably find perfectly reasonable. :eg:

Midas

1) Matt Murdock's evil twin skippy Mike Murdock (which was Matt's way of explaining Daredevil's "Secret Identity" for a while).

2) Fascination by Superman writers of coming up special effects for "different colored kryptonite" and "different types of sunlight" to handicap him for various galactic challenges.

3) The whole symbiote storyline(s) in Spiderman as an explanation for a costume change, instead of saying that the artists were tired of drawing all the details on the old costume.

4) The New Warriors ripping off the Avengers' Quin-Jet. (Funny, though.)

5) The Fantastic Four having their very public headquarters in downtown Manhattan -- with other tenants in the same building -- and still being able to afford both rent and insurance premiums...

Matt "Funkiller" Frisbee

My vote is for the retconning of the latest Superboy to be a clone of Superman and Lex g*ddamn Luthor. For the love of somebody' date=' can't people leave well enough alone? And the developing "Kryptonian" powers took away the one thing that made him interesting -- his super telekinesis. I happily would have paid $3.00 an issue for several years to watch The Kid grow up to be his own hero, honoring the Big Blue Boy-Scout but becoming his own man as well.[/quote']That wasn't so much of a "retcon". It was stated from the beginning that they mixed Superman's DNA with human DNA to make the cloning possible.

Being in Metropolis, it only makes sense that Lex had his fingers in Project Cadmus.

Secret Wars was a masterpiece in comic book literature compared to Secret Wars II.

I actually still like Secret Wars. Yeah, it's silly escapism and has a goofy premise even for comic books, but I liked it when it came out and it's still fun to relive those teenage memories.

Secret Wars II, on the other hand, was . . . how do you describe something that features a supposedly omnipotent being who gets taught how to pee by your favorite superhero? That was the time I really stopped buying comics because it was just so asinine.

You know' date=' I realize I forgot to elaborate on just *why* "The Draco" was the dumbest thing. Anyone care enough for me to do a summary for them?[/quote']

I have no idea what the Draco is (except a spaceport tavern in Siberia that I don't think has been turned into a comic)... but sure, I'm game.

Edit: A quick trip to Wiki and... wow. I think I know what you mean, in both senses. But go ahead anyway. :)

I actually still like Secret Wars. Yeah, it's silly escapism and has a goofy premise even for comic books, but I liked it when it came out and it's still fun to relive those teenage memories.

Secret Wars II, on the other hand, was . . . how do you describe something that features a supposedly omnipotent being who gets taught how to pee by your favorite superhero? That was the time I really stopped buying comics because it was just so asinine.

I agree. Secret Wars I was a fun romp, with some truly awesome moments for Doom.

Secret Wars II?

erk.

My vote for "truly stupid" goes to the issue of Marvel Team Up where Hercules towed the island of Manhattan back into place with a *big* chain (someone moved the whole island, but I can't remember who or why or how). IIRC, I don't think the issue was done as parody or humor (like the MTU with Aunt May as Golden Oldie, teamed up with a young Franklin Richards to keep Galactus from eating Earth), and I don't believe it was Assistant Editor's Month either. Just plain dumb.

What Marvel did to the Ultraverse, after they bought it.

The Punisher. Just his existing.

Turning wolverine back into a psycho after his turning samurai. The character final got some growth, and really became interesting and then "RARRRR!" again. Stupid.

Byrne getting rid of Superboy - for what it did to the Legion.

Legion - 5 years later. ick.

Mutant hysteria.... that has been a major plotline for the X people for how long? 40 years... sheesh move on.

I agree about Image itslef existing.

My vote for "truly stupid" goes to the issue of Marvel Team Up where Hercules towed the island of Manhattan back into place with a *big* chain

That was one of the things I liked when the JLA dragged the moon through the atmosphere of earth during the White Martial storyline.... It took all the powerhouses, the chain was from Green Lantern, and the mages where stopping the tidal effects, and holding the moon together. :)

5) The Fantastic Four having their very public headquarters in downtown Manhattan -- with other tenants in the same building -- and still being able to afford both rent and insurance premiums...

Matt "Funkiller" Frisbee

Apartments are cheaper than houses, which saves money for all the devices that Reed Richards keeps building.

Edit: A quick trip to Wiki and... wow. I think I know what you mean' date=' in both senses. But go ahead anyway. :)[/quote']

I also realize that while "The Draco" is a stupid, wretched storyline, the one I was actually thinking of was called "Holy War" ("The Draco" was partially intertwined with it, hence the confusion):

My knowledge of the story is a mix of Wiki and scans_daily, but the upshot of it is that some anti-mutant apocalyptic group tries to convince people that the End Times are coming by a) greasing the skids for Nightcrawler (now a priest) to become Pope for the sole purpose of unmasking him as the Antichrist and B) faking the Rapture by creating fake hosts that would instantly vaporize those taking Communion with them.

I'm not making this up, you know.

Never mind that Catholics do not support the doctrine of the Rapture and that the subset of Protestantism who *does* believe in the Rapture have a strong tendency to believe that Catholics are not Real True Christians (to use Fred Clark's lovely turn of phrase) and therefore would not be raptured up.

I'm actually atheist myself, and do not know Chuck Austen's beliefs, but the phrase "Stop making my side look stupid" comes to mind-- following the groin kick he deserves for inflicting such obnoxious storylines on one of my favorite X-Men.

My vote for "truly stupid" goes to the issue of Marvel Team Up where Hercules towed the island of Manhattan back into place with a *big* chain (someone moved the whole island' date=' but I can't remember who or why or how). IIRC, I don't think the issue was done as parody or humor (like the MTU with Aunt May as Golden Oldie, teamed up with a young Franklin Richards to keep Galactus from eating Earth), and I don't believe it was Assistant Editor's Month either. Just plain dumb.[/quote']

Ahhh yes...add to that the fact that the channel is actually narrower than the island, so it could not be dragged back in, and the fact that the artist drew it dragged in backwards to its original orientation.

It was not Assistant Editor's Month. Years later, Assistant Editors Month revealed this wasn't a real Marvel event, but a tall tale spun by Herc himself.

That wasn't so much of a "retcon". It was stated from the beginning that they mixed Superman's DNA with human DNA to make the cloning possible.

Being in Metropolis, it only makes sense that Lex had his fingers in Project Cadmus.

Uhm, actually no. In the very first issue dealing with that Superboy's origins, it was said emphatically by a member of the scientific team that was responsible, that they could not get a sample of Superman's DNA. Superboy was totally human and his powers were the result of some very sophisticated gene-twanking.

(BTW: I'm cut off from my source material, so could I ask anybody to verify this for me? Thanks!)

But you aren't denying the possibility of Lex somehow being a part of said scientific team?

I can. Shortly after Superboy appeared (Adventures of Superman 501, I believe), Lex was grilling his spy in Cadmus. He was mad as a hornet because he'd been told (by said spy) that Cadmus couldn't clone Superman's DNA. Then the spy explained what Cadmus really did (the readers weren't privy to this information of course).

But you aren't denying the possibility of Lex somehow being a part of said scientific team?

No, I am not denying that Lex "I 0wnz j00" Luthor could have tampered with Superboy's cloning process. I'm just denying that Superman's DNA was used in the mix.

edit: Props to Oruncrest for tracking down some more info.

Ahhh yes...add to that the fact that the channel is actually narrower than the island, so it could not be dragged back in, and the fact that the artist drew it dragged in backwards to its original orientation.

It was not Assistant Editor's Month. Years later, Assistant Editors Month revealed this wasn't a real Marvel event, but a tall tale spun by Herc himself.

At the time, however, they weren't presenting it as a tall tale, but as a real event.

Storm becoming an uber-fighter without her powers. Sure, I can understand that as a street kid you'd need to learn to take care of yourself, but I somehow doubt that your average twelve-year-old urchin is some kind of unstoppable knife-fighter. Bad enough that she managed to beat Cyclops for team leadership of the X-Men, but beating Callisto in a knife fight? WTF?

I guess I could add the whole "Storm getting a mohawk and becoming reckless" schtick as well, but the fighting aspect never made sense.

two things about Storm as uber fighter and this is only opinion....

1.) I think she recieved a lot of off page combat training from Wolverine.

2.) I like how Ra's Al Ghul put it in Batman Begins ".....training is nothing! Will is everything." I think she had some training and she has proven again and again taht she has the will to fight, win, die and overcome.

Brogahn

Storm becoming an uber-fighter without her powers. Sure, I can understand that as a street kid you'd need to learn to take care of yourself, but I somehow doubt that your average twelve-year-old urchin is some kind of unstoppable knife-fighter. Bad enough that she managed to beat Cyclops for team leadership of the X-Men, but beating Callisto in a knife fight? WTF?

I guess I could add the whole "Storm getting a mohawk and becoming reckless" schtick as well, but the fighting aspect never made sense.

Of course Storm was a great fighter without her powers, this was Clairmont and she had boobs!

The ones with the boobs always come out better with Clairmont.

Of course Storm was a great fighter without her powers, this was Clairmont and she had boobs!

The ones with the boobs always come out better with Clairmont.

Yup, she was one of Claremont's many Mary Sues (along with Psylocke, Rogue, Sage, Rachel-Phoenix, etc)... :rolleyes:

Yup' date=' she was one of Claremont's many Mary Sues (along with Psylocke, Rogue, Sage, Rachel-Phoenix, etc)... :rolleyes:[/quote']

Is there a reason to list individual females, as opposed to E84's more accurate "anyone with boobs"?

Boobs are, in Hero terms, a big VPP. Well, two big VPPs, the point values of each apparently being higher as cup size grows.