Guess the inspiration behind this superteam!

Doc Samson

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Guess the inspiration behind this superteam!

This is a group I wrote up ages past (I kinda wished I still had the sheets) to help new players get used to the game. The founding members of the Avengers are a loose template but not the inspiration for the characters.

Big Man - Growth Brick

Hammer - a hammer wielding Weaponmaster

Twister - a whirling Speedster who can create small tornados to ride on and use mundane object to lasso enemies

Seed - an inventor with the ability to accelerate the growth of flora and direct the growth in any direction or shape he chooses.

Widow (hint: could represent one of a few different sources) - a tough and deadly lady sharpshooter

D'oh! I just got it...

They're all American tall tales! The one that stumped me was also the one that pulled it together for me: Twister is Pecos Bill!

Big Man - Paul Bunyan

Hammer - John Henry

Twister - Pecos Bill

Seed - Johnny Appleseed

Widow - Annie Oakley (though she was real, so not sure)

Nicely done :thumbup:

Ok, I'm going to post one now, one I actually created to be used as a series of villains in D&D many years ago. 1997, in fact.(That's a hint, because this is going to be pretty freaking obscure.) I'll update into Champions villains here.

The Serpent - The oldest of the villains and the leader. An ancient and elusive figure equally at home under water as above land.

The Hunter - A bloodthirsty wolf-like creature that flies through the forest in pursuit of its prey. It goes after anyone, but is particular to young girls.

The Ghost - A frozen spirit from the mountains, this villain summons blizzards and ice to terrify its victims and send them flying.

The Dragon - The most dangerous of the four, the Dragon is a metal clad monster that breathes a devastating stream of fire. Nobody leaves an encounter with the Dragon unshaken.

Ok, I'm going to post one now, one I actually created to be used as a series of villains in D&D many years ago. 1997, in fact.(That's a hint, because this is going to be pretty freaking obscure.) I'll update into Champions villains here.

The Serpent - The oldest of the villains and the leader. An ancient and elusive figure equally at home under water as above land.

The Hunter - A bloodthirsty wolf-like creature that flies through the forest in pursuit of its prey. It goes after anyone, but is particular to young girls.

The Ghost - A frozen spirit from the mountains, this villain summons blizzards and ice to terrify its victims and send them flying.

The Dragon - The most dangerous of the four, the Dragon is a metal clad monster that breathes a devastating stream of fire. Nobody leaves an encounter with the Dragon unshaken.

My first thought was Midgard Serpent, Fenris, Ymir, and Fáfnir, but probably not.

This is a group I wrote up ages past (I kinda wished I still had the sheets) to help new players get used to the game. The founding members of the Avengers are a loose template but not the inspiration for the characters.

Big Man - Growth Brick

Hammer - a hammer wielding Weaponmaster

Twister - a whirling Speedster who can create small tornados to ride on and use mundane object to lasso enemies

Seed - an inventor with the ability to accelerate the growth of flora and direct the growth in any direction or shape he chooses.

Widow (hint: could represent one of a few different sources) - a tough and deadly lady sharpshooter

A collection of Tall Tales:

Paul Bunion

John Henry

Pecos Bill

Johnny Appleseed

Calamity Jane

The inspiration can come from anywhere.

Fast Food Advertising Characters/Mascots

The Man in White - Colonel Sanders KFC

The Man in Black - Del Taco

The Girls - Blonde = Sonic Carhop; Burnette = ? (dont believe this one was shown in the southern US)

The Slacker - ? (dont believe this one was shown in the southern US)

Gidget - Taco Bell Dog - "I think I am going to need a bigger box"

D'oh! I just got it...

Good job with rep on top :) .

A collection of Tall Tales:

Paul Bunion

John Henry

Pecos Bill

Johnny Appleseed

Calamity Jane

You also got it. The last character could have been Annie Oakley, Calamity Jane, Slue-Foot Sue, Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind, or any of the other tough women of folklore/ tall tales.

Fast Food Advertising Characters/Mascots

Um, company spokespersons (using the term loosely), not all fast food.

The Man in White - Colonel Sanders KFC

Gidget - Taco Bell Dog - "I think I am going to need a bigger box"

Yep, those two are correct, and they appeared together in a series of commercials with a third character.

May have to punt on the blonde. I remember seeing Brittany Spears in THAT car hop uniform in a Pepsi commercial, but now cannot find any evidence of it.

The other two were animated in their commercials, but one was vaguely based on a real person.

The campaign for the carhop at Sonic had a character named Katie the Carhop...

The Brittany Spears Pepsi pic was a soccer uniform...

[ATTACH]36452[/ATTACH]

Brittany Spears was with Pepsi for about 8 years, she had a lot of costumes.

I remember, or mis-remember, her in a car hop outfit based on a flight attendant's (or "stewardess" as they were call then) uniform, about the same vintage as this one

Anyway, that was the inspiration for the roller skating blonde.

So you have KFC, Taco Bell, and Pepsi. Figuring out what they have in common will give you a clue to the other three.

Um, company spokespersons (using the term loosely), not all fast food.

Yep, those two are correct, and they appeared together in a series of commercials with a third character.

May have to punt on the blonde. I remember seeing Brittany Spears in THAT car hop uniform in a Pepsi commercial, but now cannot find any evidence of it.

The other two were animated in their commercials, but one was vaguely based on a real person.

there was and animatedversion of col.sanders once done withthe consent of the colnels estate

The inspiration can come from anywhere.

This is a team that I've had for some time but never had a chance to use. Some may be somewhat obscure, but have a common root.

The Man in White: Pale, but not albino, somewhat portly older man. Has white hair and a neatly trimmed white goatee. Wears a white three piece linen suit, carries a white cane. Speaks with a southern accent. Amazingly agile for his weight and apparent age, martial artist with some TK, enough bojitsu to use the cane offensively and defensively.

The Man in Black: Wears black gaucho boots, tight tailored pants and shirt (black), and a black sombrero. Bandoleers of bullets criss-cross his chest, and there are two pistols worn on his belt. Crack shot. Speaks English and Spanish with a Mexican accent. Looks younger and more athletic than the Man in White, comments imply that he is actually older. Seems to have a rivalry with the Man in White for leadership of the group, both claim to be the leader, team will follow orders from either, but somehow their orders never contradict each other.

The Girls. Appear to be in their late teens / early twenties. Both high DEX martial artist/minor speedsters. Both wear vaguely para-military outfits, but very different from each other. The burnette wears black slacks and shirt, with a red cap, jacket and a blaster pistol on a silver belt. The blonde's uniform is cerulean piped with white, with white belt and roller skates, topped with a folding cloth flight cap. Brunette speaks with a Midwestern accent, the blonde a southern one.

The Slacker. Strawberry blond in his mid 20's. Speedster, faster than the two girls put together. Wears very large (size 16?) cross trainers, baggy pants, baggy sweat shirt, and shades. Shades 24/7, indoors and out. Has freckles, disdainful of anyone who mentions them. Accent is a strange combination of East and West coast, like a Jersey Boy who was moved to the OC when he was 13. Wile E Coyote-like ability to absorb damage.

And finally Gidget. Six pound mentalist, often carried by one or the other of The Girls in a purse-like conveyance. Same accent as The Man in Black.

Several of them have already been guessed, but:

Pepsico product mascots/spokesbeings.

Col. Sanders/KFC

The Frito Bandito

The Girls represent Pepsi itself, Britney as mentioned, not sure on the Brunette.

The Slacker is Chester Cheetah, for Cheetos.

Gidget as mentioned is for Taco Bell.

New team:

The Actioneers

Bullet: Flying speedster.

Steel: Brick; strong and tough.

Scout: Enhanced senses, can also fire energy blasts from his eyes.

several of them have already been guessed, but:

pepsico product mascots/spokesbeings.

Col. Sanders/kfc

the frito bandito

the girls represent pepsi itself, britney as mentioned, not sure on the brunette.

The slacker is chester cheetah, for cheetos.

Gidget as mentioned is for taco bell.

yes!

PepsiCo is the key!

The Brunette was an unnamed Pizza Hut delivery driver.

So we have the Colonel, the Driver and Gidget from the Tricon/YUM! three (at the time recently spun off from PepsiCo), the car hop for Pepsi itself, and the other two from Frito-Lay, a subsidiary of PepsiCo. I thought the Frito Bandito was going to be the obscure one, especially as I drew as much from Pancho Villa as the animated character.

Team ended up speedster heavy, but the girls originally represented quick delivery of the products, and Chester is, after all, a cheetah.

The bit about the girls carrying Gidget in a purse came both from Pairs Hilton's Tinkerbell and Bruiser Woods from the movie Legally Blonde. By the way, Bruiser was played by Mooney, a stablemate of Gidget.

New team:

The Actioneers

Bullet: Flying speedster.

Steel: Brick; strong and tough.

Scout: Enhanced senses, can also fire energy blasts from his eyes.

3 different aspects of Superman?

Lord Thunder: Team Leader and Weather Control Wizard

Father Time: Wears 10 rings, each with the ability to manipulate time in a different way. e.g. one allows him to accelerate plant growth

Mother: A healer with the ability to sense disasters anywhere across the world

Cirrus: Air Elemental

Deep Blue: Telekinetic with power over water, also a fast swimmer that can survive in deep oceans. (can "fly" by moving himself in a 'ball' of water

Friction: A speedster who gets hot when running

Siren: A white shrouded beauty with phermone powers and acid spray breath.

Warrior: A brick colored brick

Hah, I don't think I ever saw those ads. I guess PM's existence can be forgiven a little if it led to those.

3 different aspects of Superman?

Indeed. Actioneers for Action Comics, faster than a speeding bullet, man of steel, big blue boy scout, and three of his most iconic power sets.

edit - Great Caesar's Ghost! I must spread it around!

Lord Thunder: Team Leader and Weather Control Wizard

Jupiter

Father Time: Wears 10 rings' date=' each with the ability to manipulate time in a different way. e.g. one allows him to accelerate plant growth[/quote']

Saturn

Mother: A healer with the ability to sense disasters anywhere across the world

Earth

Cirrus: Air Elemental

Uranus

Deep Blue: Telekinetic with power over water, also a fast swimmer that can survive in deep oceans. (can "fly" by moving himself in a 'ball' of water

Neptune

Friction: A speedster who gets hot when running

Mercury

Siren: A white shrouded beauty with phermone powers and acid spray breath.

Venus

Warrior: A brick colored brick

Mars