[Twisted Game Concept] VG Supers

AdamLeisemann

NOTE: This is not a game I intend to run. This is merely an idea that crossed my mind randomly and I am curious to see what you might think of this idea, how you would do it, and what characters you would make.

This is a fairly standard champions game with the following twist:

Through some unknown proccess garbled in technobabble from another dimension in the distand future of the distant past, video game characters manage to appear in the real world, looking just like real people but with all the personality (a la backstory), powers, and adjusted appearance of the game characters.

For example: if Mario were brought over into the real world, he would not be an 8-bit character but instead look more realistic. Let the screams of terror commence.

So...

What do you think?

How would you do this?

What character would you play? (Stats would be nice.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: [Twisted Game Concept] VG Supers

I think there's some fun to be had in that - kind of a reverse "self-insertion", whereby instead of a writer creating a story about a real person going to a fictional world, it's a story about a fictional character coming to the real world.

I got dibs on Black vs. White.

Kevin "I drop my divine cow on you!" Schultz

A team based on Paper Mario has been done for the new circle thread. Chad Reilly has done a lot of fighting game characters/final fantasy characters.

I guess you just have to write down what abilities the characters have and build to suit.

I like the Nintendo Characters like Link and Mario so I would probably build one of them for such a game.

CES

My brother, when I told him about that possibility, figured he'd like to play as Kay (Legend of Kay), Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper and the thevious Raccoonus, Sly 2: Band of Theives, Sly 3: Honor among Theives) Or the ultimate gadgeteer, Ratchet (Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Ratchet Deadlocked, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters)

and how the hell would you write up the debris-ball rolling power in Katamari Damacy?

Personally: Telekinesis, No Range, OIF, Only to hold things to Focus.

And a massively Increased Maximum Aid to TK, linked to use of TK.

But the actual build would be an ugly, ugly, ugly thing....

As an aside - Adam's right. Depending on mood, either Kay, Sly, or Ratchet. Kay's probably got the most in terms of apparent superpowers of the three, followed by Sly (or exceeded by Sly, if you go by the first game), and Ratchet's one of the most spectacular gadgeteer/gun bunnies to ever pick up a weapon.

Personally: Telekinesis, No Range, OIF, Only to hold things to Focus.

And a massively Increased Maximum Aid to TK, linked to use of TK.

But the actual build would be an ugly, ugly, ugly thing....

True... but the PCs reaction the first time they see a huge ball of screaming pedestrians, horn-blaring vehicles, shop-frontage-smashing light-poles, etc, rolling down the street towards them would be worth it.

• 5 months later...

True... but the PCs reaction the first time they see a huge ball of screaming pedestrians' date=' horn-blaring vehicles, shop-frontage-smashing light-poles, etc, rolling down the street towards them would be worth it.[/quote']

I can imagine the Prince of the Cosmos as a villain of that sort, like Silver Surfer in the second Fantastic Four movie (from what I've heard) but with a more noble ambition.

Through some unknown proccess garbled in technobabble from another dimension in the distand future of the distant past' date=' video game characters manage to appear in the real world, looking just like real people but with all the personality (a la backstory), powers, and adjusted appearance of the game characters.[/quote']

So how much is the phsyical limitation: Can only fight in two dimensions?

I would play (and I don't have time to write them up, but...) Depending on mood:

John 117 (ya think?)

Samas Aran (with full blown MP weapon arm, morph ball, etc.)

Ryu (Street Fighter)

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

Bionic Commando

JC Denton from Deus Ex (if I'm feeling terribly Cyberpunkish)

Dante (Devil May Cry)

Those are a few that I could easily get into.