Breaking Personality Stereotypes for the Archetypes

Hermit

WARNING: Longwinded

I was thinking of constructing an NPC super team as possible rivals for some PCs, but I also wanted to make it fun for me. So I thought, what if I went with the classic archetypes, but deliberately broke the personality stereotypes often associated with them?

After about 30 minutes I realized it seemed there was very little under the sun that the writers of comicdom hadn't already at least tried. :) Still, here's what I've come up with so far.

Brick- This was one of the hardest because the 'strong guy' type is so darn common in comic books. You have brutish Bricks, ingenius Bricks, joking bricks, angsty bricks, and so on. I tried to find one personality trait that I didn't see much, and it was hard. However, I was thinking maybe a pacifist Brick? One who prefers not to fight until he must. Some might even confuse him (or her) for Timid.

Energy Projector- Most I've seen tend to match the 'energies' they project. Flame characters are 'hotheads', Ice characters are either chillingly aloof or at least keep their cool ;) Sometimes you get a reversal just for contrast. This one really stumped me.

Gadgetteer- I could be wrong, but I really don't think there are that many combat eager gadgeteers in the comic books. Well, at least not heroes. Sure, they get excited about science, but how many like to kick butt? The idea of a gadgeteer super hero with an attitude of "I can't wait to try out my new boom disk! uhm, on evil, of course." appeals to me.

Martial Artist- Are there many blue collar Martial Artists? Average joes who aren't into zen? I guess Dirty Infighters would be that sort. Maybe I'm missing some options here.

Mentalists- Arrogant Mentalists, reluctant mentalists, pedantic and so on, we see a lot of options in the comics. I'm trying to find a mentalist personality I haven't seen much. I don't recall the "Party Animal" type. I guess that mental discipline works against you for your social life? :)

Metamorphs- I've seen it in villainous metamorphs, but I haven't seen too many ruthlessly efficient no nonsense super hero metamorphs. In the recent "Name the Hero" contest, I found out more than one person entering a stretching sort made their submission deliberately not zany. Mind you, Reed Richards is not a 'fun guy' but he's not exactly ruthlessly pragmatic either.

Mystics- It's all been done. :) Prove me wrong.

Patriot- Has anyone made a Patriot who challenges his or her own government regularly? Participating in rallies and such? I had a concept called "Defiant" that did just that. I think it was fairly original, but I could be wrong. Mind you, given the Avatar part of Patriots, anything COULD be done really.

Powered Armor- Scientific minds, and playboys often seem to be the norm. I've seen soldiers placed in suits. I don't recall many rebels here either though. After all, to get a power suit you normally have to either be part of the establishment (Wealthy member able to dictate agenda) or given suit BY the establishment ("You will be testing the..." ) . This allows for visionaries with their own agendas, or soldiers doing their duty, but the rebel seems often missing. I guess most 'rogue' Powered Armor types become default villains as likely the gear isn't legally theirs.

Speedster- Barry Allen was dedicated, a serious scientists; Wally West has been portrayed as a fun loving youth, later Womanizer, before settling down a bit more seriously. Quicksilver is usually cranky (The man wants his cheeseburger-today!). Are there any mellow laid back speedsters? The sort who take their time? I don't recall many, probably because in the comics we WANT to see a speedster zip around. I maybe missing one though.

Weaponmaster- Honorbound Swordsmen, Rough edged archers, joking heroes who fling theme weapons ("Pick a card, any card"). The only Weaponmaster I don't have spring to mind instantly is "The Reluctant Weaponmaster". Normally, mastery of a weapon is sought. These folks WANT to use their weapon well. So a reluctant one might require some finagling on the background. On second thought, I suppose Travis Morgan, D.C.'s Warlord might have qualified, but its not like I remember he and that hungry blade teaming up with the JLA much.

Any other thoughts guys and gals?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Breaking Personality Stereotypes for the Archetypes

Originally posted by Hermit

Martial Artist- Are there many blue collar Martial Artists? Average joes who aren't into zen? I guess Dirty Infighters would be that sort. Maybe I'm missing some options here.

A boxer? Like the GA Wildcat?

Metamorphs- I've seen it in villainous metamorphs, but I haven't seen too many ruthlessly efficient no nonsense super hero metamorphs. In the recent "Name the Hero" contest, I found out more than one person entering a stretching sort made their submission deliberately not zany. Mind you, Reed Richards is not a 'fun guy' but he's not exactly ruthlessly pragmatic either.

The visuals make a stretcher a natural humour character in comics (much less important for rpgs). It's hard to retain much dignity when you've swelled up in the shape of a balloon. I think Stan Lee was doing an 'against type' with Reed Richards, very much aware of Plastic Man and trying to do something duifferent - a serious-minded stretcher.

And a little feline shall lead them

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

A boxer? Like the GA Wildcat?

Doh!

See what I mean, this isn't easy ;)

Thanks.

Anyone have an idea what (if anything) hasn't been done personality wise for a martial artist in the super hero genre?

The Patriot is different from all the rest because that archetype determines an aspect of personality but says nothing about powers or origin. I think you can get a great deal of mileage out of patriots with different power-sets/races.

So you could have patriotic wizards, catgirls or swamp monsters - "U... S... A..."

These are pretty weird concepts but you have to be a little bit weird if you want to be original.

Bricks

I think you're right. Brick is toughest because they've all been done. The best you can hope for might be one that hasn't be done as much.

The happy-go-lucky or wisecracker demeanour is most commonly asociated with agile, bounce-around types so is a bit more interesting for a brick. But a certain jade giantess already has that combo down. Go a bit further and make the personality totally maniac/manic like the Creeper?

What about a mysterious, mystical brick? The Thing's powers but with the Phantom Stranger/Raven's personality.

The Kid. This is a team personality type, represented by Iceman, the Human Torch or Kitty Pryde. I can't think of a brick exemplar. Or go further and have a brick that actually is a child, like 8 years old or something, but on a team of (or at least looked after by) adult superheroes? Now that would be a menace.

What about a brick with a nerdy Woody Allenish persona? He might lose his nerdiness now he can shove people around.

Re: Bricks

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

The happy-go-lucky or wisecracker demeanour is most commonly asociated with agile, bounce-around types so is a bit more interesting for a brick. But a certain jade giantess already has that combo down. Go a bit further and make the personality totally maniac/manic like the Creeper?

If you've ever seen the animated "Tick", think of Mr. Exciting from the episode "The Tick vs. Education."

Here are some of characters from my own campaign that I think break stereotype, hope they provide some inspiration:

Brick - Reef, a Thing-like brick covered in a coral-like hide and having stinging anemone tendrils he wears like dreadlocks. He is a member of my Morlock styled mutant undergound. He is a surfer, a stoner and a total pacifist, who hangs out with the Freex "Because its easier dealing with them then normal people." No mutant angst whatsoever.

EB - Flux, who can manipulate the flow of any ambient energy in his vacinity. He is also bi-polar, meaning he is reckless at his high points and paranoid and delusional at his low.

Gadgeteer - Mr. Fix, Chicago's Blue collar Forge, with an instictive understanding of "how things work". He looks at everything in terms of contracting: "This alien device is just like a garbage disposal that's been clogged up...we need the equivalent of cosmic Drano!"

MA - I have several boxing MA's which are a good alternate to the ninja/kung fu fighter. Or how about a Mexican Wrestler? To quote Homer Simpson: "Ooh, down there its a real sport."

Mentalist - My least favorite of any archetype. The best I can offer is Synapse, a biokinetic and sadist, who uses his abilities to control other peoples nervous systems to put them at a disadvantage so hit can beat on them with meager MA skills.

Mystic - Santeria, both a devout Catholic and practitioner of magic, torn between her faith and her powers.

"The Kid. This is a team personality type, represented by Iceman, the Human Torch or Kitty Pryde. I can't think of a brick exemplar. Or go further and have a brick that actually is a child, like 8 years old or something, but on a team of (or at least looked after by) adult superheroes? Now that would be a menace."

Badrock of Youngblood as a kid type I believe.

For a blue-collar gadgeteer, I think the Freedom Patrol (VOICE of Doom, was it?) from early in the series had one called Hardhat.

How about a sonic EBer who hates noise and people. I can see him or her screaming at the top of their lungs, knocking down buildings, "WILL YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!?!?!?"

Try a themed group. "The Frat Boys." "The French Philosophers." "The Special Olympians." Then, have the press lionize them above your PCs. It'll drive them nuts. ;-)

Mixing and matchiing is probably easiest.

Example: The Rough Mechanicals

Brick: Zebediah "Boozer" Davis, 170 year old alchoholic ex-gold miner on a bender. Got drunk in 1852 and hasn't sobered up yet. Theme powers include "too drunk to feel pain" and "drunken rage."

Mentalist/Mystic: Ricky the Thinking Brain Dog (credit to Pratchett). Zebediah's 150 year old dog, happy, stupid for a human (IQ of 80), awesome mental powers. Mental Paralysis effect: Go Lick Yourself.

Martial Artist / Gadgeteer / Weapon's Master: Floyd "Barman" Hooker. Skinny potbellied 182 year old bartender alchamist, can turn anything found in a bar into a deadly weapon. Brewed the Eternal Red Eye that created the Rough Mechanicals. Shouldn't have mixed in those funny mushrooms from the meteor crater in the Indian burial grounds.

Patriot / Speedster: Vladislav "Red Ink" Kopernik. Came to America in 1864 as an accountant for a mining company and was drinking in the bar on Eternal Red Eye Day. Small, skinny, gloomy. Surfs on red ink that sprays from under his fingers, may also entangle or blind foes using same ink. Insanely law abiding, loves his country, fights evil because it's disorderly.

Power Armor / Metamorph: Frieda "Still Married" Dueseldorfer Hooker. 180 year old fat shrewish wife of Floyd, wears shape-changing power-armor made of "Drunken Metal" remains of Floyd's brewing equipment and things Floyd has added from various bars over the years. Some shape changing and regeneration powers of her own, all offense (other than personality based) comes from suit.

Background:

Ever since ERE Day, the Rough Mechanicals have worked together for Truth, Justice, and the American Way of Life. Well, technically, only Red Ink and maybe Ricky have cared about those things, but the others have tagged along. Low on offensive power, the absurd regenerative powers bestowed by the Eternal Red Eye together with over a century and a half of experience have made the group surprisingly formidable, and the accumulated wealth generated by Floyd's pattents (he invented the pub quiz) and Vladislav's investing accumen have made them rich. Floyd has yet to duplicate the ERE, but he swears that it's only a matter of time. Meanwhile, wherever evil rears it's ugly head, wherever good men suffer, wherever the taps break on game night, there you will hear the battle cries of the Rough Mechanicals!

Boozer: You think yer better than me!

Ricky: Woof! Woof!

Barman: Have one on the house!

Red Ink: Time to ballance your accounts lawbreaker!

Still Married: What would you mama think of what you doing!

Originally posted by assault

Ah yes, the "Jean-Paul Sartre Brigade", aka "Descarte's Demons", aka "The Black Berets".

It's been done, but not in Champions, that I know of.

Alan

Sooner or later, so long as you're willing to stretch a bit, everything has been done. The trick is to pick good source material and re-do it well.

"Once you've filed off the serial numbers it belongs to you." -Heinlein

;-)

Brick- This was one of the hardest because the 'strong guy' type is so darn common in comic books. You have brutish Bricks, ingenius Bricks, joking bricks, angsty bricks, and so on. I tried to find one personality trait that I didn't see much, and it was hard. However, I was thinking maybe a pacifist Brick? One who prefers not to fight until he must. Some might even confuse him (or her) for Timid.[/b]

Always seemed to me that Beast was the ultimate anti-type brick, intelectual and prefers reason over violence.

How about an openly-Gay gym rat? Moderate DEX, 20 COM, rest into STR and defenses. Will hit on the group's male brick in two different ways. "Take that! And call me!"

Energy Projector- Most I've seen tend to match the 'energies' they project. Flame characters are 'hotheads', Ice characters are either chillingly aloof or at least keep their cool ;) Sometimes you get a reversal just for contrast. This one really stumped me. [/b]

Fictional Energy Projectors tend to stand out. At least one class of RL ones do not. An EP sniper, tacturn, using stealth to keep out of sight, patiently waiting for their shot.

Gadgetteer- I could be wrong, but I really don't think there are that many combat eager gadgeteers in the comic books. Well, at least not heroes. Sure, they get excited about science, but how many like to kick butt? The idea of a gadgeteer super hero with an attitude of "I can't wait to try out my new boom disk! uhm, on evil, of course." appeals to me.[/b]

How about massive luck/unluck. He builds the gadget, it misfires or otherwise malfunctions, then a Rube Goldberg series of "coincidences" bring about the desired result.

Martial Artist- Are there many blue collar Martial Artists? Average joes who aren't into zen? I guess Dirty Infighters would be that sort. Maybe I'm missing some options here.[/b]

How about a low Dex martial artist? Damage shield equal to opponents attack, missile reflection, and about 10 levels with reflection and block? Plus a really annoying personality, will taunt characters until they hit him. Repetedly. Or would that be a brick?

OR, martial artist usually have some discipline in their training, how about a total stoner with a wild talent? One of his teammates will have to choose his target, but he will dodge ranged attacks and throw those closing for HTH, apparently with out being aware of them. Identifying quote: "Dude! Chill! What's everyone so upset about? Can't we all just get along? Are you going to finish that?"

Mentalists- Arrogant Mentalists, reluctant mentalists, pedantic and so on, we see a lot of options in the comics. I'm trying to find a mentalist personality I haven't seen much. I don't recall the "Party Animal" type. I guess that mental discipline works against you for your social life? :)[/b]

Too simular to the stoner MA, I had an NPC who was a severly retarted brick/mentalist. (Whole family was telepaths, he was a telepath who could communicate only three coherent thoughts.) Usually used his TK to reenforced his body (TK Sx for extra STR and 0 END FF). Also had an Ego attack, normal TK, and the personality of a two year old.

Metamorphs- I've seen it in villainous metamorphs, but I haven't seen too many ruthlessly efficient no nonsense super hero metamorphs. In the recent "Name the Hero" contest, I found out more than one person entering a stretching sort made their submission deliberately not zany. Mind you, Reed Richards is not a 'fun guy' but he's not exactly ruthlessly pragmatic either.[/b]

I never met a morph I didn't like. Uh, how about no personality? Think Ben Stein or Bob Newhart with super powers. Maybe even tries wisecracking, but each one is delivered with such deadpan delivery that it falls flat. This is the guy who blows the punch line on every joke.

Mystics- It's all been done. :) Prove me wrong.[/b]

Total fanboy gamer. Can Summon creatures from the Magic card game, or D&D monsters, or Pokemon, then pontificate on their abilities, strenghts, and weaknesses as they are fighting.

Patriot- Has anyone made a Patriot who challenges his or her own government regularly? Participating in rallies and such? I had a concept called "Defiant" that did just that. I think it was fairly original, but I could be wrong. Mind you, given the Avatar part of Patriots, anything COULD be done really.[/b]

Under Englehart, Cap did severly question America after Watergate, going so far as to become Nomad, the Man Without a Country.

Maybe Anti-Patriot, the spirit of Civil Disobedence. Very bitter about the so-called Patriot Acts, gives long speaches on Waco, Ruby Ridge, and juror nulification that qualify as NND attacks (Defense: Flash Protection Hearing or registered Libertarian). Strangely, he looks a lot like me. :) Identifying quote: "I love my country, but I fear my government!"

Powered Armor- Scientific minds, and playboys often seem to be the norm. I've seen soldiers placed in suits. I don't recall many rebels here either though. After all, to get a power suit you normally have to either be part of the establishment (Wealthy member able to dictate agenda) or given suit BY the establishment ("You will be testing the..." ) . This allows for visionaries with their own agendas, or soldiers doing their duty, but the rebel seems often missing. I guess most 'rogue' Powered Armor types become default villains as likely the gear isn't legally theirs.[/b]

Only thing coming to mind here is the hotdogger, Fonzie or Tom Cruse in Top Gun. Very impressed with the suit, constantly shows off what it can do, never uses casual STR when he can Push.

Speedster- Barry Allen was dedicated, a serious scientists; Wally West has been portrayed as a fun loving youth, later Womanizer, before settling down a bit more seriously. Quicksilver is usually cranky (The man wants his cheeseburger-today!). Are there any mellow laid back speedsters? The sort who take their time? I don't recall many, probably because in the comics we WANT to see a speedster zip around. I maybe missing one though.[/b]

Barry seemed fairly laid back to me, Iris sometimes called him "the slowest man alive."

I'm thinking a total goth. Identifying quote: "This is so boring!

Weaponmaster- Honorbound Swordsmen, Rough edged archers, joking heroes who fling theme weapons ("Pick a card, any card"). The only Weaponmaster I don't have spring to mind instantly is "The Reluctant Weaponmaster". Normally, mastery of a weapon is sought. These folks WANT to use their weapon well. So a reluctant one might require some finagling on the background. On second thought, I suppose Travis Morgan, D.C.'s Warlord might have qualified, but its not like I remember he and that hungry blade teaming up with the JLA much.[/b]

There's also the Wild Talent with Unusual Weapon, like Mystery Men's the Shovler.

Drawing a total blank here, sorry.

Guest Champsguy

Gadgeteer: Two-fisted adventurer type. Think Indiana Jones or Doc Savage. Just emphasize the "gadgeteer" part a little more.

Speedster: I had the lazy speedster. :) Yes, he was impatient, but what he really enjoyed doing was watching TV and reading comic books. He's the guy who lets the phone keep ringing, despite the fact that it's within reach. When another character made fun of him for reading "those dorky comics", he told him "Hey man, when you've got superspeed, you've got to find something to do." Why doesn't he ever clean his room incredibly quickly, or all those other things speedsters do with their time? Well, for one, he's got a girlfriend (cleaning is her job), and for two "just because it looks like I clean my room in the blink of an eye to you doesn't mean that it doesn't feel like an hour and a half to me".

Martial Artist: Kid Fist didn't really train or anything. He got his fantastic martial prowess from his sheer desire to hit people. The joy of combat gave him his power.

Metamorph: How about a suave ladies man? I mean, really... if anyone could pick up chicks it would be the dude with stretching powers...

Brick- This was one of the hardest because the 'strong guy' type is so darn common in comic books.

How about a TK-brick that can only use his powers to create simple machines? "With a long enough lever and a place to stand, I could move the Earth" - Archimedes

Energy Projector- This one really stumped me.

Amp : a generic blaster with Variable SFX on each slot of his multi = he can manipulate the most prominent/powerful source of energy in his local environment. Streetlights emit laser blasts, an open freezer issues forth a blizzard, boomboxes create sonic booms. This guy is a thinker who enjoys the challenge of trying to think of new ways to use his environment.

Gadgetteer-

Kitbash/Kludge : An inventor who can't make things better than the stuff already out there, but he can make somethin almost as good from stuff just laying around. Can turn a washing machine into an APC, a cell-phone into a stun gun, etc. Can't put the old devices back together when he's finished ;)

Martial Artist- Maybe I'm missing some options here.

Pacifist : The martial artist that doesn't fight. Master of an art that redirects opponents energy - but not back at the opponent themself (too violent!). Dodge, Entangle (binds opponent with their own clothing), Missile reflection (aims shots back at te foci that fired them).

Mentalists- I don't recall the "Party Animal" type. I guess that mental discipline works against you for your social life? :)

Hmmm... how about an empath that can share any sensation he's experienced over the last 40 years of a hard-drinking partying lifestyle. Call him Hangover ;)

Metamorphs- I've seen it in villainous metamorphs, but I haven't seen too many ruthlessly efficient no nonsense super hero metamorphs.

I had a concept for a plant-based metamorph the had started out as a kid-sidekick in the Golden Age (the Green Boy), went on to a career as a adult hero (the Green Knight), and now is a mystical/"wild spirit" type (the Green Man). He started out his career with a Pinocchio complex, but as he's matured he's begun to embrace his alien-ness. Of course, also has a penchant for the legends of England :)

Mystics- It's all been done. :) Prove me wrong.

How about a mystical gadgetteer, one with no spellcasting powers of his own, who has a trunk full of different talismans, wands, and magical doodads that he uses? Loves to research and track down these things more than using them - I see him more as an appraiser from Antiques Roadshow than Sorcerer Supreme. Maybe he's out to keep them out of the wrong hands, or he's just an incurable collector. Give him unluck and a VPP of foci with charges and activations.

Patriot.- Has anyone made a Patriot who challenges his or her own government regularly?

How about a government-conspiracy nut who's appointed himself the Patriot of the "Real American government." Or a militant, Rage Against the Machine-type patriot - make her a female draped in a tattered american flag, who claims to be "the product of the rape of Lady Liberty by Big Business."

Powered Armor- Scientific minds, and playboys often seem to be the norm.

Maybe a an inventor who's designed a suit for a purpose that 90% thinks is bizarre/pointless? He soldiers on, using his own money, because he's convinced that the scientific discoveries he'll make with the suit will make him rich. I'm think of that guy who's developing the Bear Encounter Suit as inspiration here.

Speedster- Are there any mellow laid back speedsters? The sort who take their time? I don't recall many, probably because in the comics we WANT to see a speedster zip around. I maybe missing one though.

A speedster that is lazy and procrastinates because he literally saves up his energy for when he really needs it. Maybe he's even super-slow in everyday life - his voice is an octave lower, lower body temp, ages at a reduced rate. But then he makes up for it with bursts of incredible speed. I'm imagining an Eyore-type personality. Believes in taking it slow and doing it right - When he eventually gets fed up with people rushing around him and making mistakes, he shifts to hyperspeed and gets things done quickly and efficiently. "Now, was that so hard?"

Weaponmaster- Honorbound Swordsmen, Rough edged archers, joking heroes who fling theme weapons ("Pick a card, any card").

How about a pool (billiards) shark? There was a relatively goofy Marvel villain named 8-ball who used his expertise designing missile propulsion systems to create a pool cue that aplified the force applied to it by 1,000x. You could take that idea and make the character a little more "cool," kind of a hustler/Gambit-clone. Doesn't really break any sterotypes, but the concept has always had a certain charm for me :)

Another good child brick was Gully from Battle Chasers, a cute little blong 8-year-old in pigtails with magic gloves that gave her hulk-like strength. Brilliant visuals.

You could always go the Japanese route of having powerful bricks and mystics be clumsy schoolgirls who keep apologizing for the property damage.:D

Brick -

In our Game the Brick's name is Thrash, and while not totaly off the beaten path for bricks, hes BIG tough, and has all those nifty 'Brick tricks, he's a bit on the dif side of the big dumb guy. 1) he's a computer wiz, second only to the teams Gadgeteer. he's a GLORY HOUND big time, anything to get attention, and a total Gen X-er... Extreem sports, haning with Stars, Endorcments, you name it... if he can get seen doing somethign kool he's there. Thrash has to be reigned in from Time to time, but he never looses that "Child like" quality to his aproach to being a superhero. The fact that he's a brick is secondary to his personalty

EB -

Pheobus, a NPC in the game is an EB wit hSolar powers, whoe prety short lved at night... his main dif to his personality it he's Blue color... a construction worker... a guy who if he could have chosen his Power would have been a Brick... he has a rivalry with Bricks, has great Ranged combat abilities, but likes to close in... the total brick in an EB's body... works out, looks big and muscled, but next to real paranormals he's just a norm. Make for interesting play.

Speedster -

As others have said.. .Laid back... In our game Speedster (yeah the Player was at a loss for a name so that;s all it was, but it fit the char) was a total California surfer dude... he needed the THC in pot, so he smoked to slow down his brain, or he's burn out. He always had the "Mad Munchies" and always was laid back... even when doing things at high speed. And he could always be counted on to get distracted by a cute girl, or some "Tasty Waves"

All I can think of at this time, but I'll agree that most everything HAS been done. It's just re-doign them in a fresh way

WC

Dunno how much what I have to say here will help, as these are mostly campaign examples, and they don't break personality stereotypes as much as others....

First off are Black Cat and Gibralter.

BC is a martial artist. She was the classic zen type, but absolutely no stealth skills, nothing other than some KS's PS's and combat skills. The sneaking MA was way to overdone at the time I built her.

Gibralter is a classic brick. However in her secret ID before she got her powers she was a private eye. So the brick in the group was the detective and the sneaky one.

The third is Ballistic.

Ex cop (dropped from the force for excessive violence) hired by the brilliant scientist for head of security and wore the supersuit. Classic cinematic streetcop attitude in powered armor.

After a couple of years I got a little tired of the character and did a rewrite. He had a mysic accident and had to learn magic to keep from "blowing up" from the mystic energies within him. So we have a supermage with a supersuit (now farily downpowered and without most of its offence besides strength) with a somewhat nast attitude.

I think he may be a fairly unique mystic.