{campeign construction}: Flash gordon Like

JmOz

So I am going to be starting a flash Gordon like campeign, I would like some imput

A few things I know I am going to be using

Majority of PC's will be from earth transported to "the empire"

The empire is going to be HUGE, many races, each ran by a "prince" who answers to a big bad. Some princepalities will be in almost armed revolt when the heroes get there while others will be fully behind the big bad (I need to name him or her).

Intersteller travel (needed to go from one principality to another) will be almost directly copied from Babylon 5, uses becons, big ships can generate portals, small ships use stationary

Characters are to be for the most part normals, Psi powers will be allowed, but extremly limited for PC's (RSR, concentration, accidental activation, 15 active point max)

1 PC can be an alien, one PC can be a Psi

Points will be 50+75, with 25 points being GM controled

so lets start fleshing this skeleton

Re: {campeign construction}: Flash gordon Like

So I am going to be starting a flash Gordon like campeign, I would like some imput

Which Flash Gorden are you planning to use as the model?

Comic Strip, B&W TV Serial, Pulp Novels, the Movie or the new upcoming series (if so, please feel free to pass only any insider info you have :D) ?

Intersteller travel (needed to go from one principality to another) will be almost directly copied from Babylon 5, uses becons, big ships can generate portals, small ships use stationary

From a RPG stand point, I have found that limiting all interstellar travel to fixed transit points, or "jumpgates" in this instance, makes things much much easier for me.

Also if there are ships that can make their own, I would limit them as a secret of the "evil emperor's own ships only". It could be one of the things that allows him (her) to maintain power. While everyone else's travel is limited to the gates acting as choke points, the Emperors forces can appear anywhere anytime.

Which Flash Gorden are you planning to use as the model?

Comic Strip, B&W TV Serial, Pulp Novels, the Movie or the new upcoming series (if so, please feel free to pass only any insider info you have :D) ?

From a RPG stand point, I have found that limiting all interstellar travel to fixed transit points, or "jumpgates" in this instance, makes things much much easier for me.

Also if there are ships that can make their own, I would limit them as a secret of the "evil emperor's own ships only". It could be one of the things that allows him (her) to maintain power. While everyone else's travel is limited to the gates acting as choke points, the Emperors forces can appear anywhere anytime.

To answer what Flash, a little bit of all, it's a starting point more than a destination, something for the right feel

OK, as for Part 2. A good idea overall, I think the rebellion should have a couple of them, but they should be extremly valued. I am thinking about letting a couple ships that are smaller than most of the other portal openers have them, the first would be some kind of tug ship, slow, strong, lightly armed heavily armored able to open it's own portal, and a small, almost fighter sized vehicle that would be lightly armed and armored but fast (a messanger ship). Still finalising it

Any more ideas? Weapons, gadgets, planets, etc...

To answer what Flash' date=' a little bit of all, it's a starting point more than a destination, something for the right feel [/quote']

Fair enough

OK, as for Part 2. A good idea overall, I think the rebellion should have a couple of them, but they should be extremly valued. I am thinking about letting a couple ships that are smaller than most of the other portal openers have them, the first would be some kind of tug ship, slow, strong, lightly armed heavily armored able to open it's own portal, and a small, almost fighter sized vehicle that would be lightly armed and armored but fast (a messanger ship). Still finalising it

If the ability to generate jumpgates is super top secret, to me it follows that utility ships wouldn't be given the tech. Only Imperial ships. I would put forward that the "rebels" had captured two ships, they had three but trying to access the "gate generator" tripped the failsafe destroying the ship. Now they use the ships without understanding or being able to duplicate the technology. One ship is an Imperial Courier (the messenger you mentioned) and the other is one of the super stealthed ships of the dreaded Imperial Security (ImpSec), extremely small but great legs and really high "sneak factor".

Any more ideas? Weapons, gadgets, planets, etc...

I would go with a scifi pulpy feel. One book I read had a really great idea for weapons. They did not have gunpowder, instead they used "blasters" that relied on "crystals". The catch the crystal, which had to slowly recharge. Small crystals used in hand weapons were only big enough for one shot followed by 1-2 minutes for recharge. Bigger crystals can deliver more shots, say several lesser powered or one high powered one. Starships mount extremely large ones as do "fighters" or "tanks". But in order to be small enough for a man to carry you only get the one shot. So most fighting is with swords and so on.

If you take it a bit further, starship battles can consist of a few volleys (or broadsides) followed by boarding actions.

Lots of opportunities for Flash to get out the daring-do :D

I'm kind of partial to the pulp sci-fi standard that space is cold, but not vacuum (it's filled with luminiferous ether). So those boarding parties Spence mentioned could jump from ship to ship with an oxygen source (bubble helmet) and a warm jumpsuit. Grappling lines or rocketpacks would be a good idea, though, because if somehow you jump and don't hit the enemy ship, you'll be floating for a long, long time.

I'm kind of partial to the pulp sci-fi standard that space is cold' date=' but not vacuum (it's filled with luminiferous ether). So those boarding parties Spence mentioned could jump from ship to ship with an oxygen source (bubble helmet) and a warm jumpsuit. Grappling lines or rocketpacks would be a good idea, though, because if somehow you jump and don't hit the enemy ship, you'll be floating for a long, long time.[/quote']

And there you have it :thumbup:

Great points!

The more I think about it, the more I like the FTL tech being Top Secret, going to keep the tugs, but they are part of the imperial navy

The Princes will be allowed each a single Dreadnaught and 2messanger crafts, plus most with have a Solar System Navy but the secrets of designing them is carefully held. The systems have a self destruct built into it to prevent tampering

Each Messanger craft will have DF, basicaly it's energy signiture (even when the system is not in use) is way out of proportion with it's size, the ships can be used for small cargo (Maybe one hex of space?) and computer data.

The rebellion has got a hold of 3 of the capital ships (but one has been destroyed) and I don't know maybe 6 of the messanger ships

I'd suggest not letting the rebellion having any of the capital ships. If it was Flash Gordon after all' date=' Flash would be the one to steal the first ship.[/quote']

I'd tend to agree. Space rebellions always tend to have the rebels on a shoestring you might say. The Earthman (the hero!) is the guy that does all the heroic stuff like grabbing the first big ship, or mega weapon.

Decided on:

The rebels will not have any ships able to create jump points, but they will have one Prince who is sympethetic to them who will help out a small amount (including at times punching holes into hyperspace for them, but not willing to stretch his neck out to much)

Decided on:

The rebels will not have any ships able to create jump points, but they will have one Prince who is sympethetic to them who will help out a small amount (including at times punching holes into hyperspace for them, but not willing to stretch his neck out to much)

And maybe ask for a few "small favors" in return :sneaky:

"The Emperor"

Plenty of rumors about who/what he/she/it is:

A powerful warlord like Ming?

A living corpse like the 40K Emperor?

A sentient computer/network?

(an oligarchy of Ubergeeks who control all communication? :D )

An intelligent virus (either kind)

A Q like entity that is either bored and playing the Q equivalent of Civilization, or is trying to set some particular course of history?

The last living Forerunner?

Going with another thread, a sentient light saber that confers power and immortality on the holder: IE, it isn't "Ming" who is the Emperor, but Ming's sword. Also has the tendency to have the Swordholder mutter "gollum" after a few centuries...:rolleyes:

Just stray thoughts at 1 in the morning,

Midas

"The Emperor"

Plenty of rumors about who/what he/she/it is:

A powerful warlord like Ming?

A living corpse like the 40K Emperor?

A sentient computer/network?

(an oligarchy of Ubergeeks who control all communication? :D )

An intelligent virus (either kind)

A Q like entity that is either bored and playing the Q equivalent of Civilization, or is trying to set some particular course of history?

The last living Forerunner?

Going with another thread, a sentient light saber that confers power and immortality on the holder: IE, it isn't "Ming" who is the Emperor, but Ming's sword. Also has the tendency to have the Swordholder mutter "gollum" after a few centuries...:rolleyes:

Just stray thoughts at 1 in the morning,

Midas

I was thinking the Ming type of character weather male or female I had not decided

changing directions:

How many points do you think I should start them off with? I am leaning towards either 100 or 150, if I go 100 after the first adventure I will be giving them +50 (Including a +25 point disad)

changing directions:

How many points do you think I should start them off with? I am leaning towards either 100 or 150, if I go 100 after the first adventure I will be giving them +50 (Including a +25 point disad)

What are your character build requirements? Things like: do you set a cap on "special abilities" or do you require X pts be spent on non-combat related skills, etc.

What are your character build requirements? Things like: do you set a cap on "special abilities" or do you require X pts be spent on non-combat related skills' date=' etc.[/quote']

The last game in Hero I ran was a Champions so I had no limits of the kind, I also tend to be kind of soft on requirements, but I do give guidelines

I'm thinking that I will be doing the following for this one (these are recomendations)

Char 10-20

CV: 6-8

Speed 2-4

DC: 6-8

Def: ~8

Required:

25 point Hunted

Recomended:

1-2d6 in luck

Restricted:

I only want one alien and one Psi, otherwise I want the majority to be normal humans from the 20th century

The last game in Hero I ran was a Champions so I had no limits of the kind, I also tend to be kind of soft on requirements, but I do give guidelines

I'm thinking that I will be doing the following for this one (these are recomendations)

Char 10-20

CV: 6-8

Speed 2-4

DC: 6-8

Def: ~8

Required:

25 point Hunted

Recomended:

1-2d6 in luck

I'm like you on Supers games.

For Heroic games I usually include a everyman package of common skills plus the requirement that they spend X points on skills related to their "profession" and X points for "non-combat" related skills. The exact # of points depends on the number of base points.

Another way I have done it is to create a number of "Professional Package Deals" of equal points and require each player to pick one, and then spend the rest as they see fit, with appropriate caps, like Chars and CV's. An example would be an old Pulp game. I had a Aviator Package, a Archeologist Package and so on. All tweeked from the book and equal in cost. Each package had some "period flavor" to help set the tone.

Restricted:

I only want one alien and one Psi, otherwise I want the majority to be normal humans from the 20th century

A little on "normal from the 20th century". What will be the origin point for the earth PC's? 1990 Seattle, 1935 New York, etc. That will heavily color tone and back ground for the PC's.

I misspoke I fear, I should have said early 21st century, specificaly 2007, region is unimportant to some extent, but I do want an "everyman" quality to the characters, being in the army is fine, being part of the special forces not so much

For everyman skills

Acting 8-

Climbing 8-

conceament 8-

conversation 8-

deduction 8-

AK: Home country 8-

2x KS, PS, or SS 11-

KS, PS, or SS 8-

Native language (4 points, includes lit)

Paramedic 8-

persuasion 8-

Shadowing 8-

Stealth 8-

Combat Driving 8-

Teamwork 8-

I'm thinking of upping the base points by 20 and then saying you have to buy your everyman skillsm give the above list as a recomendation

I'm thinking of upping the base points by 20 and then saying you have to buy your everyman skillsm give the above list as a recomendation

That actually works well. But I would give the players the extra points as a bonus rather than just upping the base. There are people out their who are rabid anti-control freaks. They will have a cardiac arrest and strom out if you say you have to buy X skills, even if you up the base. That same people will be OK if you say you must buy X skills, and then when they whine add "OK take X pts to cover it". Same thing in the end. But they will feel vindicated at victory. And you will have less gray hair ;)

That actually works well. But I would give the players the extra points as a bonus rather than just upping the base. There are people out their who are rabid anti-control freaks. They will have a cardiac arrest and strom out if you say you have to buy X skills' date=' even if you up the base. That same people will be OK if you say you must buy X skills, and then when they whine add "OK take X pts to cover it". Same thing in the end. But they will feel vindicated at victory. And you will have less gray hair ;)[/quote']

Point taken

some weapons for the game

Laser swords

Laser whips

Sonic Maces

Stun Sticks

Laser Pistols

Laser Rifles

Armor

I have this weird idea for a device (Bracelet maybe, or neck piece)

Gives a small amount of armor (Defined as an invisible FF) that would also give some LS for vacuum, weather, maybe even a min of breathing, a way to mimic the flying with only a bubble on your head type thing

Ships

On the small scale I see Space sleds & Space cycles

(Unable to manuver in hyperspace at all)

Fighters/scout ships

The middle I need help defining, but see 2-5 mid class ships

Then Dreadnaughts, each prince will have one of these as there command ship, plus the imperial navy will have a few dozen more (I figure about 50 total)

Imperial Keeps, huge city scale ships, only 2 in existance, belonging to the Emperor's children

And finaly the Imperial Palace, not really the real Palace but a huge ship, dwarfing even the Keeps, it is a home away from home for the emporer, and could take on a dozen Dreadnaughts by itself. There is one of them

Armor

I have this weird idea for a device (Bracelet maybe, or neck piece)

Gives a small amount of armor (Defined as an invisible FF) that would also give some LS for vacuum, weather, maybe even a min of breathing, a way to mimic the flying with only a bubble on your head type thing

From the FASATrek rules:

Life Support/EVA Belt

5 Environmental Protection: Life Support (Safe Environments:

Intense Cold, Intense Heat, High Pressure, Low Pressure/

Vacuum) (7 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

7 Breathing Gases: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10

Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Limited Duration: 12 hours of Air

(-0)

12 Protection: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

7 Autoseal: 1d6 Healing (Regeneration); Reduced END (0 END;

+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn;

-1 1/4), Suit Only (-1/2)

Total Cost: 31 points

Make the OIF the fishbowl helmet rather than a belt and.......:D

-Carl-

Just FYI, there is a new version of Flash Gordon airing on the SciFi

cable network here in the US. Friday nights.....might be worth

watching to potenntially mine it for an idea or three.

-Carl-