Limited STR: Only for Pushing, Pulling, Lifting, etc

Acroyear II

Hi all,

One of my players would like to have his brick hero have +25 STR that can only be used for Heroic Feats such as Pushing, Pulling, Lifting, etc but that cannot be used for any type of Hand-to-Hand combat. Examples of the use of this added STR would be for holding up a collaspsing building, stopping a runaway train, pushing a huge boulder into a river to dam it, and the like. I own the Ultimate Brick, but can find no such example of a STR power built this way, so I'm wondering if it is even legal to buy STR in this fashion.

Would you allow this in your campaign, and the more important question, how big of a Limitation would this be worth? -1? -1-1/2?

Thanks for your advice in advance!:)

Re: Limited STR: Only for Pushing, Pulling, Lifting, etc

Here is a future XP power (a multipower slot) I built for my namesake character who has a base 40 STR that can be augmented up to 65 with Density Increase.

(60 active total)Contact Telekinesis: +35 STR; Only For Changing An Object's Momentum (from a Resting or Moving state) (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) plus Sticky (Affects Whole Solid Objects As Telekinesis; +1/4) for up to 100 Active Points of STR End = 5

I'm pretty generous, perhaps, but I'd give you No Figured (-1/2) and a -2 further limitation, so 5 STR for 2 points. This would not allow any significant combat use of STR, however - throwing an object lifted with your extra +25 STR would generate damage the same as if you had only your non-limited STR.

The Ultimate Martial Artist has a Does No Damage (-1) limitation for TK. When a similar limitation was brought up for regular STR, it was suggested that the lim be reduced to -½ because regular STR can be used to improve figured characteristics. I would go with that and allow your PC to also use No Figured Characteristics to reduce the cost further, so your player's +25 STR should only cost 12 real points.

Y'know, this sort of thing (in a cast-upon-others form) would be the delight of slave-owners everywhere in a fantasy universe. You get 25 STR worth of work out of someone literally up to the point they keel over and die of starvation, and you don't have to worry about STR 25 slaves deciding to do an armed revolt.

Y'know' date=' this sort of thing (in a cast-upon-others form) would be the delight of slave-owners everywhere in a fantasy universe. You get 25 STR worth of work out of someone literally up to the point they keel over and die of starvation, and you don't have to worry about STR 25 slaves deciding to do an armed revolt.[/quote']

lol

One sfx I envisioned for this type of ability is similar to the rubber science often used on STTNG. Enveloping an asteroid with the ship's Warp Field to reduce it's inertia down to levels where the ship's Tractor Beam could affect it. Since HERO doesn't have a good 'Reduce Mass' power Limited STR is the only alternative.

The Ultimate Martial Artist has a Does No Damage (-1) limitation for TK. When a similar limitation was brought up for regular STR' date=' it was suggested that the lim be reduced to -½ because regular STR can be used to improve figured characteristics. I would go with that and allow your PC to also use No Figured Characteristics to reduce the cost further, so your player's +25 STR should only cost 12 real points.[/quote']

That -1 limitation leaves the TK able to establish and maintain a grapple, albeit a non-damaging one. The STR as described could not.

(60 active total)Contact Telekinesis: +35 STR; Only For Changing An Object's Momentum (from a Resting or Moving state) (-1)' date=' No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) [b']plus[/b] Sticky (Affects Whole Solid Objects As Telekinesis; +1/4) for up to 100 Active Points of STR End = 5

I'm not sure what the Sticky Advantage means here. Sticky usually means that characters (or presumably in this case objects) that touch the affected target are also effected. So if you move one object with this TK, other objects touching the first will come along.

But the way you're descibing it ("whole objects only") makes it sound more like a limitation than an advantage.

I'm not sure what the Sticky Advantage means here. Sticky usually means that characters (or presumably in this case objects) that touch the affected target are also effected. So if you move one object with this TK, other objects touching the first will come along.

But the way you're descibing it ("whole objects only") makes it sound more like a limitation than an advantage.

It's a custom adaption of the Clinging Advantage.

The idea behind it is to allow a character to do something like what the character Gladiator did when he lifted the corner of the Fantastic Four's Baxter Building without causing it to crumble. A brick with this ability can lift a large ship without tearing a hole in the hull with his hands since the load is being spread equally throughout the structure of the ship.

It's a custom adaption of the Clinging Advantage.

The idea behind it is to allow a character to do something like what the character Gladiator did when he lifted the corner of the Fantastic Four's Baxter Building without causing it to crumble. A brick with this ability can lift a large ship without tearing a hole in the hull with his hands since the load is being spread equally throughout the structure of the ship.

So it's the ability to use STR in a four colour Supers fashion (presumably only bought in a non-four colour Supers game).

So it's the ability to use STR in a four colour Supers fashion (presumably only bought in a non-four colour Supers game).

I see it as a little more than that. I'm also unsure what age the FF issue i referenced would be classified under (Iron? Silver??).

A normal brick in a 4-color supers game would still need the Hoist skill to do certain things without something like this advantage. However a Telekinetic character (like Green Lantern) normally wouldn't need to use Hoist since TK affects whole objects by default. It's another major difference between the STR characteristic and TK based STR (besides Range).

Actually, page 65 of TUB has Stronger Than A Locomotive:

+40 STR (40 Active Points); Only To Stop Moving Objects (-2). Total Cost: 13 points.

So maybe (Only To Move Objects) would be -1.5 or -1, assuming No Figured is included.

I would call that a -1. The main purpose of STR in MOST games is going to involve smacking the snot out of someone. Take that away and it's a pretty large Limitation (thus the -1).

I'm on the fence about if that -1 value includes the No Figured or Not. "For Lifting, Pushing, etc STR Feats" already implies, to me, No Figureds.

I would probably, in this instance, also desire to see some kind of RSR: Brick Tricks and possibly even some Increased END.

I would deny the No Figured Characteristics limitation, on the grounds that the STR already does not add to figured characteristics. Why not? Because the figured characteristics are not limited by the limitation. "PD, only for lifting/pushing/etc."?

END would arguably make some sense limited that way, but on the whole, I don't think NFC is appropriate here.

Having said that, I DO think that having extra STR limited in ways like this is a good way to add flavor to a character and model some effects. For instance, in the Legend of Zelda games, Link often gets a bracelet or gloves that let him pick up boulders, but don't do anything else for him: STR, Only For Picking Up and Holding Objects.