The Dirty Pair

Edsel

I have worked up a version of the Dirty Pair from the classic anime. Kei is presented below and Yuri will follow in another post shortly. I have also used some information from the original Novels by Haruka Takachiho. These chracters are intended to be NPCs in a Star Hero campaign I am working on. Any constructive criticism would be welcome.

Kei

Player: NPC 3WA Agent

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
20 DEX 30
15 CON 10
10 BODY 0
15 INT 5
18 EGO 16
15 PRE 5
21 COM 6
12/18 PD 3
12/18 ED 3
4 SPD 10
6 REC 0
30 END 0
28 STUN 3
7" RUN22" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 96

Cost Power END
20 Luck of the Dirty Pair: Luck 5d6 (25 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Combat or Investigative Uses (-1/4) [Notes: The Luck of the Dirty Pair only seems to kick-in whenever it is needed to save the Dirty Pair from harm (often due to their curse) or to allow them to crack their case.]
11 Clairvoyance: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x16 Range, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Extra Time 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), Limited Power Must Be In Skin To Skin Contact With Yuri (-1), Retrocognition Only (-1), Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Blackout (-1/2), Normal Sight Only (-1/4), Limited Power Must Be Angry (-1/4) [Notes: Range = 4000", however visions are usually clearer the closer to the point of interest they are.] 3
Powers Cost: 31

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
3WA Advanced Combat Training
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +1d6 +v/5, Target Falls
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike
5 Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +5d6 Strike
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +20 STR vs. Grabs
4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 28

Cost Skill
Autofire Skills
5 1) Accurate Sprayfire
5 2) Concentrated Sprayfire
5 3) Rapid Autofire
5 4) Skipover Sprayfire
5 Acrobatics 14-
3 Breakfall 13-
1 Bugging 8-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Combat Driving 13-
5 Combat Piloting 14-
1 Computer Programming 8-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Conversation 12-
3 Criminology 12-
5 Defense Maneuver: I-II
3 Demolitions 12-
3 Disguise 12-
1 Electronics 8-
3 Fast Draw 13-
1 Forensic Medicine 8-
2 Forgery 12-
2 Gambling 13-
1 High Society 8-
3 Interrogation 12-
3 Language: Japanese (completely fluent)
2 Language: German (fluent conversation)
1 Mechanics 8-
3 Paramedics 12-
3 Persuasion 12-
3 Security Systems 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 12-
3 Systems Operation 12-
1 Tactics 8-
10 Teamwork (13 Active Points); Partially Limited: Only Base Level [13-] When Used With Those Other Than Yuri (-1/4) 18-
18 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Combat Aircraft, Jetskis, Mecha, Parachuting, Basic, SCUBA, Science Fiction & Space Vehicles, Skiing (snow), Skiing (water), Small Military Ships, Small Motorized Boats, Small Planes, Snowboarding, Snowmobiles, Surfing, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles
14 WF: Beam Weapons, Energy Blades, Energy Weapons, Flamethrowers, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Off Hand, Shoulder-Fired Weapons, Small Arms, The Bloody Card, Vehicle Weapons
2 Weaponsmith (Energy Weapons) 12-
8 +1 with All Combat
8 +1 Overall (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only When Working With Yuri (-1/4)
5 +1 with Ranged Combat
3 +1 RMod with all attacks
Skills Cost: 170

Cost Perk
5 Fringe Benefits: 3WA Trouble Consultant [Notes: This grants access to all sorts of high-tech weaponry, vehicles and equipment, Govenment Security Clearance, a free pass through customs at any port of call, etc.]
8 Perk (Interstellar Police Powers)
4 Reputation: 3WA Trocon (A large group; 11-; Custom Adder) +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 17

Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
6 Ambidexterity (Reduce Off Hand Penalty to -1)
Talents Cost: 18

Cost Equipment END
19 Kei's Blaster Pistol: (Total: 65 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Blaster Pistol: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Required Hands One-Handed (+0), 60 Charges (+1/2) (60 Active Points); STR Minimum 10 (-1/2), STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage (-1/2), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 17) plus +1 with Ranged Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 2) [Notes: This is a Big Pistol (Hand Cannon) as befits Kei's personality. In the classic Anime she never changes clips and shoots a lot, however occationally ammo has become a concern.]
3 Armlet / Swingline: Swinging 6" (6 Active Points); IAF (-1/2), No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) [Notes: This appears as a simple armlet until revealed for use.] 1
7 Earring Radio: Radio Perception/Transmission (Concealed (-3 to PER Roll)) (13 Active Points); IAF (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense (Hearing & Radio) (-1/4) [Notes: Really a marvel of sci-fi tech, the earring has the range to communicate with an orbiting spacecraft. It is somewhat secure as well, never in the anime do we see their transmissions intercepted.]
12 Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Real Armor (-1/4), IIF (-1/4) [Notes: Taken from the Novels. The armor is a sheathing of reinforced polymer which covers the girls from their necks down. It is transparent and ultra-thin Kei states that it is nearly inpossible to cut and even provides "some protection against heat and bullets."]
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.

Total Character Cost: 360

Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Beautiful & Memorable (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) [Notes: Wearing the "Combat Bikini" doesn't help much either.]
15 Enraged: If Partner or Close Friends are Seriously Injured (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
15 Hunted: Lucifer, An Intragalatic Crime Syndicate 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Physical Limitation: Curse of the Dirty Pair (Frequently; Slightly Impairing; Disaster Magnet) [Notes: Its usually only Slight Impairing, to Kei & Yuri, but not everybody else.]
10 Psychological Limitation: Gung Ho Attitude, Impatient (Common; Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Hates Being Called Dirty Pair (Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Loyality to Partner (Common; Strong)
10 Watched: Worlds Welfare Work Association (3WA) 11- (Mo Pow; Watching)
5 Reputation: The Dirty Pair, Harbingers of Death & Destruction 8-
10 Rivalry: Professional and Romantic (Generally a Freindly Rivalry, Both She and Yuri Are Always Trying to Outdo Each Other), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
10 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders of the 3WA (Frequently; Minor)
5 Social Limitation: Sometimes Not Taken Seriously Due to Her Age and Appearance (Occasionally; Minor)
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 125

Experience Required: 110

Total Experience Available: 110

Experience Unspent: 0

The Classic Dirty Pair

Unlike the Darkhorse Comics / Adam Warren version of the Dirty Pair, this version is completely natural. Meaning there is no genetic engineering or cybernetic enhancements. The classic anime version of the Dirty Pair was, of course, more light hearted humor though as in most anime people actually died. The original novels, while still humorus, were much darker (the descriptions of "crimson fountains of blood" wrought by the bloody card come to mind).

I own all of the Dirty Pair anime: All 26 episodes of the original japanese TV show (fansubed in english on DVD), the 10 OVA, the 3 movies. The only novel translated to english, and all the Adam Warren stuff. I also have DVDs of all the Dirty Pair Flash stuff.

I have always liked the Original Anime version the best, but I like it all.

I am now playing around with the idea of designing Mughi. If I do I'll probably be more tempted to do the Novel version which will gleefully rend people limb from limb when provoked.

OOPS! Somehow I got Kei's characteristics into Yuri's file. Below is a fixed version.

Yuri

Player: NPC 3WA Agent

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
20 DEX 30
15 CON 10
10 BODY 0
18 INT 8
17 EGO 14
15 PRE 5
23 COM 8
11/17 PD 3
12/18 ED 3
4 SPD 10
5 REC 0
30 END 0
26 STUN 3
7" RUN22" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 96

Cost Power END
20 Luck of the Dirty Pair: Luck 5d6 (25 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Combat or Investigative Uses (-1/4) [Notes: The Luck of the Dirty Pair only seems to kick-in whenever it is needed to save the Dirty Pair from harm (often due to their curse) or to allow them to crack their case.]
11 Clairvoyance: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x16 Range, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Extra Time 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), Limited Power Must Be In Skin To Skin Contact With Yuri (-1), Retrocognition Only (-1), Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Blackout (-1/2), Normal Sight Only (-1/4), Limited Power Must Be Angry (-1/4) [Notes: Range = 4000", however visions are usually clearer the closer to the point of interest they are.] 3
Powers Cost: 31

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
3WA Advanced Combat Training
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +1d6 +v/5, Target Falls
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike
5 Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +5d6 Strike
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +20 STR vs. Grabs
4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 28

Cost Skill
Autofire Skills
5 1) Accurate Sprayfire
5 2) Concentrated Sprayfire
5 3) Rapid Autofire
5 4) Skipover Sprayfire
5 Acrobatics 14-
3 Breakfall 13-
1 Bugging 8-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Combat Driving 13-
5 Combat Piloting 14-
1 Computer Programming 8-
3 Concealment 13-
3 Conversation 12-
3 Criminology 13-
5 Defense Maneuver: I-II
3 Demolitions 13-
3 Disguise 13-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Fast Draw 13-
1 Forensic Medicine 8-
2 Forgery 13-
2 Gambling 14-
1 High Society 8-
3 Interrogation 12-
3 Language: Japanese (completely fluent)
2 Language: French (fluent conversation)
1 Mechanics 8-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 Persuasion 12-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Seduction 12-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 12-
3 Systems Operation 13-
1 Tactics 8-
10 Teamwork (13 Active Points); Partially Limited: Only Base Level (13-) When Used With Those Other Than Kei (-1/4) 18-
18 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Combat Aircraft, Jetskis, Mecha, Parachuting, Basic, SCUBA, Science Fiction & Space Vehicles, Skiing (snow), Skiing (water), Small Military Ships, Small Motorized Boats, Small Planes, Snowboarding, Snowmobiles, Surfing, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles
14 WF: Beam Weapons, Energy Blades, Energy Weapons, Flamethrowers, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Off Hand, Shoulder-Fired Weapons, Small Arms, The Bloody Card, Vehicle Weapons
8 +1 with All Combat
8 +1 Overall (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only When Working With Kei (-1/4)
5 +1 with Ranged Combat
Skills Cost: 170

Cost Perk
5 Fringe Benefits: 3WA Trouble Consultant [Notes: Grants access to all sorts of high-tech weaponry, vehicles and equipment, Govenment Security Clearance, a free pass through customs at any port of call, etc.]
8 Perk (Interstellar Police Powers)
4 Reputation: 3WA Trouble Consultant (A large group; 11-; Custom Adder) +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 17

Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
6 Ambidexterity (Reduce Off Hand Penalty to -1)
Talents Cost: 18

Cost Equipment END
20 Yuri's Laser Pistol: (Total: 55 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 -1 (vs. ED), Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2), 60 Charges (+1/2) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 18) plus +1 with Ranged Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 2) [Notes: This is a small, compact pistol in keeping with Yuri's more subtile personality. In the classic anime she never changes clips and shoots a lot, however ammon has occationally become a concern.]
45 The Bloody Card: (Total: 190 Active Cost, 45 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. PD), Requires A Systems Operation Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll +0), Indirect Any origin, always fired away from attacker (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Attack Versus Limited Defense: Force Fields (+1 1/2), Area Of Effect (27" Any Area; +1 1/4), Selective Target (+1/4) (180 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), -1 STUN Multiplier (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Extra Time Delayed Phase (-1/4) (Real Cost: 40) plus +2 with Ranged Combat (10 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 5) [Notes: Probably the most deadly weapon used by the Dirty Pair. According to the novels the card is "a card no bigger than the ones you use to play cards. It's made of Tegnoid sheet metal, and all its edges are razor sharp. When you throw it, it can easily stay airborne for two hours on ion drive, and can be freely controlled by a handheld transmitter. Above all it is a great cutter. It can slice through 2 millimeters of KZ alloy like butter."

I have thought about making this a vehicle instead of an attack power.]

3 Swinging 6" (6 Active Points); IAF (-1/2), No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) [Notes: This appears as a simple armlet until revealed for use.] 1
7 Earring Radio: Radio Perception/Transmission (Concealed (-3 to PER Roll)) (13 Active Points); IAF (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense (Hearing & Radio) (-1/4) [Notes: Really a marvel of sci-fi tech, the earring has the range to communicate with an orbiting spacecraft. It is somewhat secure as well, never in the anime do we see their transmissions being intercepted.]
3 Parafoil: Gliding 5", Usable Simultaneously (x1 Number of Targets +1/2) (7 Active Points); IAF Fragile (-3/4), Restrainable (-1/2), No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) [Notes: Used at least once in the classic anime, Yuri produced this parachute from a pouch in her belt. It has a handle for gripping and on the occation of its use Kei was clinging onto her legs.]
12 Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Real Armor (-1/4), IIF (-1/4) [Notes: Taken from the Novels. The armor is a sheathing of reinforced polymer which covers the girls from their necks down. It is transparent and ultra-thin, Kei states that it is nearly impossible to cut and even provides "some protection against heat and bullets."]
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.

Total Character Cost: 360

Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Beautiful & Memorable (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) [Notes: Wearing the "Combat Bikini" doesn't help much either.]
10 Enraged: If Partner or Close Friends are Seriously Injured (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 11-
15 Hunted: Lucifer, An Intragalatic Crime Syndicate 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Physical Limitation: Curse of the Dirty Pair (Frequently; Slightly Impairing; Disaster Magnet) [Notes: Its usually only Slight Impairing, to Kei & Yuri, but not everybody else.]
10 Psychological Limitation: Vain (Common; Moderate) [Notes: Yuri spends lots of time with her skin creams, doing her hair, etc.]
10 Psychological Limitation: Hates Being Called Dirty Pair (Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Loyality to Partner (Common; Strong)
10 Watched: Worlds Welfare Work Association (3WA) 11- (Mo Pow; Watching)
5 Reputation: The Dirty Pair, Harbingers of Death & Destruction 8-
10 Rivalry: Professional and Romantic (Generally a Freindly Rivalry, Both She and Yuri Are Always Trying to Outdo Each Other), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
10 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders of the 3WA (Frequently; Minor)
5 Social Limitation: Sometimes Not Taken Seriously Due to Her Age and Appearance (Occasionally; Minor)
5 Not Quite As Violent As Kei Bonus
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 125

Experience Required: 110

Total Experience Available: 110

Experience Unspent: 0

And here is the revised Hero Designer File

Originally posted by yamamura

Nice work there. Can I ask one favor if it possible what is the isbn number on the books. Been trying to see if I can find a used copy.

G

Below is a link with the ISBN numbers for all the novels. AFAIK Only one novel has ever been translated to english. Near the bottom of the page linked below you can download the english translation for free. Its the original novella "The Great Adventures of Dirty Pair".

Dirty Pair Novels

Clairvoyance

I think Adam Warren's version of Kei and Yuri's "psychic abilities" was more amusing - they read up on some cons and scams using mindreading and precog, and wore low-necked outfits for the interview with the science boffins at the 3WA.

Then again, the AW Dirty Pair are much more over-the-top than the original - though, sadly, not enough Yuughi for my taste.

Re: Clairvoyance

Originally posted by Black Rose

Then again, the AW Dirty Pair are much more over-the-top than the original - though, sadly, not enough Yuughi for my taste.

That is because Adam Warner can't draw Muughi (Yuughi) to save his life. And he freely admites it also.

Originally posted by Old Man

Good work, but I really think the DP cause more havoc than could possibly be explained with a mere 5d6 of luck. There should be a cosmic VPP. A big cosmic VPP.

Originally I had them with 9d6 of Luck each and then changed that to a sort of VPP. But my friends around here thought that was a little too cumbersome. In the end we decided that since they are NPCs it would be best if the carnage that they caused was a GM's fiat.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have the Hero Designer file for Yuri that I could either download or have e-mailed to me?

I love collecting characters (I convinced Derek to send me all the characters from his Challenge of the Superfirends game from DunDraCon) and wish there was more exchanging of hero Designer files.

The character sheets look very good. I too am looking forward to Mughi.

I'd really like to see a Hero Designer file of Mink (from Dragon Half) someday. She must bem what, 600 points?

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

I'd really like to see a Hero Designer file of Mink (from Dragon Half) someday. She must bem what, 600 points?

600? Someone sent me a character sheet for Mink (it's up on my webpage) and she totals in a 281.

OTOH, I just finshed Arucard (Hellsing) and he's 1376.

Originally posted by Old Man

Good work, but I really think the DP cause more havoc than could possibly be explained with a mere 5d6 of luck. There should be a cosmic VPP. A big cosmic VPP.

I agree. When I use them they'll be NPCs so the GM fiat is probably the way to go.

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

Do you have the Hero Designer file for Yuri that I could either download or have e-mailed to me?

I love collecting characters (I convinced Derek to send me all the characters from his Challenge of the Superfirends game from DunDraCon) and wish there was more exchanging of hero Designer files.

The character sheets look very good. I too am looking forward to Mughi.

Yuri's Hero Designer File is posted with her revised character sheet (about 10 post or so above this).

I haven't gotten around to working on Mughi yet. Our game has been delayed and I don't yet know which version I would prefer to build. The cuddly over-grown cat of the classic anime or the more serious giant displacer-beast-looking-thing from the novels.

• 2 weeks later...