Need Perjoratives!

Vondy

I need some potential perjoratives (or slang references) for metahumans that don't include the word "meta" (i.e., metacrazies). In my game the terms "genie" (fairly neutral) and "poppers" (somewhat derogatory) has been used (don't ask the provenance of that one - I don't know where they got it from. Theories abound.).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Need Perjoratives!

Supers (generic/ neutral)

Wierdos (negative, Serpent already took Freaks)

Smashers/ Bashers/ Trashers (if known for alot of collateral damage)

Glowers/ Shiners (if they share a common sfx such as glowing eyes)

Doves/ Bats (if all can fly)

Do your metas all share a common origin?

Juicers (super drug origin)

Muts (genetic mutant origin)

Sickos/ Sickies (viral/ infectious based origin)

Brainers (mental power origin)

Choppers (martial arts based origin)

Afterschool Specials: Superheroes with an open agenda, or cause beyond merely crime fighting that they openly advocate with speeches, rallies, etc. Given for the lecturing tones they often are assumed to have.

Blackhats: The bad guys, not considered too offensive even by the bad guys. Obviously a cowboy reference.

Civicninja: Refers to superheroes who try never to be seen (with some inference to out of their head paranoia) save by the people they stop. Will not hang around, will not give interviews. etc.

Civicpirate: The opposite of the Civicninja, these superheroes are flamboyant and buckle swashes openly and loudly. They give interviews, and draw attention.

Retrodeath: Term coined for supervillains who insist on using fluttering cloaks, grandiose speeches, and other aspects that might be considered corny or cliche, and yet are incredibly bad ass and powerful. The idea being you can mock their outdated ways, but you won't last long if you do.

Superspread-Derogatory term for any superheroine (or villainess) who is scantily clad and under-dressed. The idea being she looks like she is ready for a playboy type photospread.

Triple Fs: (stands for Flukes, Freaks, and (really really) Foreign)

Whitehats: the goodguys, see Blackhats above.

Flashers: both for the tight outfits and the careless speed they use to evade problems so that it falls splat! right on the Little Guy.

Hyperactive: all energy, no direction, knocking the plaster off the walls.

Spastics: similar to Hyperactive but more derogative, rhyming slang with elastic, fantastic.

Trousers: derived from "All mouth and trousers" folksy British slang meaning blowhard, also a call to stop prancing around with no clothes on.

Little Leaguers: belittling, works best if The Big Team is "League of something, something."

Pigeon: both for clay pigeon and the much despised rat with wings.

Hazards: could be a critique and also taken back as cool by the powered folk.

Crutch: As supers often resolve real problems with ease.

Faded Glories: Supers who once stood for an ideal or nation that is no longer valid or has veered from their former selves.

Fallout: If there was a global creation event. This also implies they should have died with the event.

Gestapo: Referring to Supers who uphold the law or their laws with or without sanctioned police powers.

Larks: Like a Bird, they are there to look good and fly away whenever they fell like it.

Pot Luck Powerhouse: Referring to supers with a mix of powers that seem unrelated.

Rejects: For Supers with less than amazing powers.

Wow, there are some great ideas here.

Myself, I can't suggest anything beyond the expected "boy scout" and maybe (borrowing an idea from Kingdom of Champions) calling a hero with a reputation for roughness "Mister". As in Cockney rhyming slang: "Mister (Arm) Twister..." Maybe it came across the pond and American adopted it?

I find the anti-super tenor of this thread offensive and disturbing. How would you feel if you had superpowers and people called you names like this?

I don't know it depends on what the super powers were and how easily I can justify "pacifying" a riot, are their cameras around and/or do my powers allow me to edit electronic recording devices?

/Not a villain

//Really

///The Comedian Lives

I find the anti-super tenor of this thread offensive and disturbing. How would you feel if you had superpowers and people called you names like this?

Depends on which superpowers I got

X Ray vision: "I'm sorry you find me a freak... by the way, your wife has a really close shave."

Super Strength: "Golly... just how did your car GET up there anyway?"

Mind Control: "Thanks for volunteering... there's something I've been told is an anatomical impossibility. You're about to test that out..."

Stretching: Walk off smugly confident in my sexual prowess.

Flight: *Spit* "Got him!"

and so on ;)

I remember the Black Skull (Psychotic Crime Overlord in Gotham City) calling costumed superheroes like Batman "Drag Queens with Toys" all the time. I also had a decidedly low-key supervillain refer to a particularly flamboyantly costumed heroine as a "Heavy Metal Flasher" since the costume included a latex bikini, leather duster and polished metal armor plates. (Oh, did that mouthy villain get it that night...)

In a campaign city that was particularly unfriendly to superheroes, the cops refered to them as F-S-M's (Future Straitjacket Models), P-J's (for Punch & Judy as well as pajamas) and U-R-C's (Urban Renewal Catalysts).

Matt "Hope-that-helps" Frisbee

How about "broken ladders" or "warped ladders", refering to their DNA? As with "muties" it's great because for some supers it's not even accurate.

Or "Pedigrees (Dogs)", because they're very special, mentally unstable and probably the result of too much inbreeding?

"Vistors from alternate realities"?

Any of these good?

Flags - Colorful, symbolic, dangerous, and frequently at the front of any battle. More often sources for conflict rather than solutions. Refers primarily to costumed heroes rather than paranormals generally.

Randis - a reference to James Randi, who would doubtless deny the existence of a super even as superman was flinging him into orbit. This pejorative has a "whistling in the dark" aspect to it.

Ham's kids, Esau's kids, or (most likely) Cain's kids. Such a monicker has been used to justify any number of atrocities in the past, and can easily be dusted off for re-use.

Dips - Due to their serenDIPitous mutations.