Need Perjoratives!

Vondy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Need Perjoratives!

I know this will be taken the wrong way..

"LARPer"

Btw, since Randi only denies the existence of things that don't actually exist and the world is full of nutjobs running around denying the existence of things that actually do exist or have happened, seems to miss the nail and hit the thumb a bit as an insult.

Though I like the concept of having 'denier' insults, most of them are too obscure and just aren't important enough as people to merit the immortality lent by eponymy.

The other problem with this particular word choice would be the much more famous Randy's and Randi's out there who would confuse the received meaning. I haven't heard a peep about James Randi in a decade, before this thread, but there's the character from the tv series Earl who's certainly more well-known these days.

Also, it's already an insult with an entirely different meaning. If I call you randy, I'm saying you've got an overactive libido. Which is a level of confusion I do not want to have when I'm insulting someone. I might want to give them a backhanded compliment or hit them with a way-homer, but there's not a lot of times I want them to receive the totally wrong sense of infamy. It would seem non sequitur, a bit like calling Professor Muerte a spandex-clad twinkletoes, or Dr. Destroyer a prettyboy cheerleader. (Hrm. Wonder if I can buy a transformation attack to turn people into the next insult someone else flings at them?)

Oh, and here's one of many, many links to a popular school of insulting thought: http://www.william-shakespeare.org.uk/a1-shakespearean-insults-generator.htm

Re: Need Perjoratives!

I know this will be taken the wrong way..

"LARPer"

Btw, since Randi only denies the existence of things that don't actually exist and the world is full of nutjobs running around denying the existence of things that actually do exist or have happened, seems to miss the nail and hit the thumb a bit as an insult.

Though I like the concept of having 'denier' insults, most of them are too obscure and just aren't important enough as people to merit the immortality lent by eponymy.

The other problem with this particular word choice would be the much more famous Randy's and Randi's out there who would confuse the received meaning. I haven't heard a peep about James Randi in a decade, before this thread, but there's the character from the tv series Earl who's certainly more well-known these days.

Also, it's already an insult with an entirely different meaning. If I call you randy, I'm saying you've got an overactive libido. Which is a level of confusion I do not want to have when I'm insulting someone. I might want to give them a backhanded compliment or hit them with a way-homer, but there's not a lot of times I want them to receive the totally wrong sense of infamy. It would seem non sequitur, a bit like calling Professor Muerte a spandex-clad twinkletoes, or Dr. Destroyer a prettyboy cheerleader. (Hrm. Wonder if I can buy a transformation attack to turn people into the next insult someone else flings at them?)

Oh, and here's one of many, many links to a popular school of insulting thought: http://www.william-shakespeare.org.uk/a1-shakespearean-insults-generator.htm

Time to switch to decaf, Comic. :D