Tricks for a Triplicator?

Cygnia

Right, let me preface this by stating that due to the fact that we're "new to the group", the GM will be designing the actual character (complete with stats, powers, skills & talents) as opposed to my husband being the one making it. We're figuring the GM wants to know us as players first before we get to make our own characters (even though we've both played Champions before)...

The Beloved Hubby is cool with this as he's an easy-going sort of fellow. He'll be playing a martial artist sort (Dirty Infighting) who can triplicate himself. While he's come up with a couple of combat ideas (two of his selves attempt a double grapple while the third goes for a low blow as an example), what he's looking for are other possible tricks to use (ideally against Bricks, but he's open to suggestions) in combat.

I know things are a bit hamstrung without having an actual character sheet to look at. Hopefully, that will change by this weekend.

Re: Tricks for a Triplicator?

Well, Teamwork and Coordinating Attacks are probably your best bet to Stun a Brick. Don't forget your multiple attacker bonus.

If the Brick is low DCV you may want to try to Sweep and Move Through more frequently to take advantage of the increased accuracy from the Multiple Attacker Bonus.

Similar to what you already stated, having 2 duplicates hold the Brick while a third winds up a Haymaker or does a Move Through will net some extra damage.

If one of the Duplicates has a reliable "crowd control" power, such as a Throw Maneuver (trip/ leg sweep) or a Flash (eye poke/ dirt throw), have them continue to use it while the other two attack unhindered.

Against weapon- and other OAF-wielding foes, you could have triplicate #1 disarm him (with the weapon presumably falling to the ground), #2 picks the weapon/focus up and throws it to #3, who catches it and does a full move to dump it far away from the foe.

Against a brick, #1 grabs him, while #2 winds up for a haymaker and #3 moves close and holds his other half action. If the brick breaks free of #1 before the haymaker lands, #3 then grabs the brick, keeping him restrained so #2's haymaker can land (and also wasting the brick's action, BTW). This assumes the brick can't just break out with casual STR.

Alternately, assuming the triplicators have multiple combat skill levels in martial arts, #1 and #2 go full-offense on the brick (levels on damage), while #3 holds. As soon as the brick goes after 1 or 2, #3 moves in front of the target and does a Block on the brick's attack (all his levels on OCV).

Against blasters, all three hold their actions until the blaster acts. When the blaster attacks, his target Dodges (putting all CSLs on DCV), at which point the other two move in and attack.

Against flyers (but not too high), if the Triplicates have Acrobatics, you could try using that plus Teamwork so #1 does a half-move leap to #2, who catches and throws him up to attack the flyer. (This also presumes they have enough STR to get a reasonable throw.)

Against mentalists, develop a series of code phrases or triplicate-team-speak in case one of the duplicates gets mind controlled, the others will instantly know it as soon as he opens his mouth (or keeps it shut for too long). For instance, they banter in combat, but nobody probably notices that the first letter of each quip is progressing through the alphabet. As in...

#1: Amazing jump there, #2!

#2: But it wasn't as good as #3's kick!

#3: Could have been better, though.

#1: Don't get me started!

#3: Eyes up, #1, we've got company!

#2: For heaven's sake...

You're Nicked, Mate! #1 grabs the foe's arms, #2 grabs the foe's legs, and #3 grabs the foe's head (covering his eyes). Works well if you can get close enough to a mentalist.

Against any foes: Moving as a team, so #1 can see anybody trying to sneak up on #2, and #2 covers #3's back, and #3 has his eyes watching behind #1.

Against any non-flyer foe, on a rooftop: postion them so #1 can do a Throw to #2, who does a throw to #3, who throws the foe off the roof.

I have these cool images of vintage WWF tag team matches running through my head, now...

Can you Martial Throw someone (for distance) to another guy who martial throws the target (to the ground for damage), with the third guy following up with a flying elbow smash? That would be cool... *grin*

A search on Array Fighting techniques would be useful.. Google search, that is. Old M/A movies would be a good source, too..

-CraterMaker

The Beloved Hubby is cool with this as he's an easy-going sort of fellow. He'll be playing a martial artist sort (Dirty Infighting) who can triplicate himself. While he's come up with a couple of combat ideas (two of his selves attempt a double grapple while the third goes for a low blow as an example), what he's looking for are other possible tricks to use (ideally against Bricks, but he's open to suggestions) in combat.

I may have missed this if anyone else has mentioned it but....How

about "the old high/low" ? One of the triplicates does a legsweep

from behind at the same time as another does a spinning blow

to the head or neck from the front. Basically it's a flashy take-

down and I'm not certain if you could justify any additional

damage but it would (if successful) place the target on the

ground so the pair could then pop him with a matched pair of

martial strikes as "punctuation".....

-Carl-

Depending on how strong they are...

Duplicate A, throws Duplicate B to Target T, then martial throws T back to Duplicate C, who throws T back to Duplicate A, compounding on the velocity damage.

Duplicate A and B grab Brick Z, while Duplicate C uses the delayed phase, only against restrained targets power of much nastiness (HKA, AP, Penetrating is a popular choice).

Against Bricks I'm a big fan of stacking annoyances, drains of all sorts particularly endurance and movement, stacking entangles... with martial throw, you probably could keep a brick on its back unless, like so many of them, they have flight/teleport with position shift.

Other ideas... how about a hologram projector that projects additional copies of your duplicates so that the brick can't really tell which are actual targets? Probably easier and cheaper to model as a Summon holographic duplicates (though that's stop sign territory).

Limpet mines... large RKA, no range, lim. to restrained targets, extra time, time delay.

I like to add drains to my "dirty" attacks, like

Gut Shot... HtH attack, linked with drain recovery, delayed recovery 1 minute.

Head Butt... H+H attack, linked with drain stun

Solar Plexus Punch... drain end.. etc.

Hamstring.. HKA, drain Running, delayed recovery 1 month.

Just a thought

I may have missed this if anyone else has mentioned it but....How

about "the old high/low" ? One of the triplicates does a legsweep

from behind at the same time as another does a spinning blow

to the head or neck from the front. Basically it's a flashy take-

down and I'm not certain if you could justify any additional

damage but it would (if successful) place the target on the

ground so the pair could then pop him with a matched pair of

martial strikes as "punctuation".....

-Carl-

you do it seperatly, the legsweep (or throw) puts him to the ground at reduced dcv, while the other offensive strikes, or haymakers depending...

I used a triplicator in high school many years ago (Triad) who used his powers to put a self in front and absorbed the one in back to have an increased running (+6") special effect was three images moving like start-stop photography across the playing field. Used same effect to move up walls (flight 10" must touch surface). And had machine gun punches from all sides of a target by running/shifting around a bad guy and each self punching (martial strike with area effect).

Right, let me preface this by stating that due to the fact that we're "new to the group", the GM will be designing the actual character (complete with stats, powers, skills & talents) as opposed to my husband being the one making it. We're figuring the GM wants to know us as players first before we get to make our own characters (even though we've both played Champions before)...

In the opening episode of the LOSH cartoon, Triplicate Lass uses her power to amplify the power of her kick by doing a jump kick and then replicating, with each body gaining added momentum from the movement forward, then recombining as the kick is delivered. I was moderately impressed with the creativity of the guy who thought of that manuever.

Get arrested.

That's right. Get arrested or walk around as a duplicator. Don't need to pay points for that, and boy will the character's enemies be surprised when #3 shows up.

The odd thing is, the guy doesn't triplicate until the original gets knocked out first (24 STUN). Duplicate #1 pops out fully while the original Recovers. If he gets knocked out again, out pops Duplicate #2.

And unfortunately, the GM has permanent custody of the character sheets so I can't post the stats. :thumbdown