"Not in the face, I'm a pretty man!"

Cygnia

So, I'm trying to design a COM drain that takes a while to recover from. Basically, it's for a potential villain who HATES "pretty people" and the drain will basically be linked to a punch to the face (and still does damage with the punch on top of the drain).

What would be a plausible way to design it, especially if hit locations aren't used?

Re: "Not in the face, I'm a pretty man!"

You'd be better off linking the COM drain to the HA at the -1/2 level, which would allow to use the HA without the COM drain, for punching ugly people :)

1d6 COM drain (3 points standard, 6 COM) 10 points

0 END +1/2

Delayed fade rate (5 points per hour +1)

25 points

Linked HA -1/2

17 points

If you are willing to just do a 1 pip COM drain, 2 COM per punch (not a bad idea, actually), the cost goes down to 7 Active, 5 real.

Bargain :)

You could even make it NND (defence would be taking no damage from the attack) or add a couple of levels of penetrating, as power defence is rarely if ever going to prevent the ugly happening as it is a consequence of the physical damage.

Even with NND or 2xPen, the cost (for 1 pip) is only 10 AP/7RP

So, I'm trying to design a COM drain that takes a while to recover from. Basically, it's for a potential villain who HATES "pretty people" and the drain will basically be linked to a punch to the face (and still does damage with the punch on top of the drain).

What would be a plausible way to design it, especially if hit locations aren't used?

What's the special effect? Is it just a black eye, bruise, or broken nose, or is it some kind of scarring or mystical effect?

For simple stuff like the former, a Hand-To-Hand Attack with a linked COM Drain (with a bit of reduced recovery) would work.

For the latter, particularly if they get so ugly that it would qualify them for Distinctive Features, link a Transform to it instead.

I know, I'm being pedantic again.

What's the special effect? Is it just a black eye, bruise, or broken nose, or is it some kind of scarring or mystical effect?

For simple stuff like the former, a Hand-To-Hand Attack with a linked COM Drain (with a bit of reduced recovery) would work.

For the latter, particularly if they get so ugly that it would qualify them for Distinctive Features, link a Transform to it instead.

I know, I'm being pedantic again.

Standard punch to the face, really. Black eye, broken nose, bloody lip, swollen cheek...that sort of thing. Not looking for a (permanent) transform, just something that will take time to heal the aesthetics back up.

As the saying goes "That's gonna leave a mark..." :eg:

People will hate me...but...link a Transform :Cosmetic: Heals back normally...or just plain MPA...but if not linked he can use it on it's own.....

Once more Hero demonstrates that there's more than one way to peel a guava.

I think it is probably easiest to determine what effect you want, as precisely as possible, and then see which mechanical system fits best, never forgetting the excellent suggestion from OddHat that facial damage could just be the sfx of a punch.

Following the punch pun, I understand that Rick is volunteering for the test of whatever builds you come up with.

Once more Hero demonstrates that there's more than one way to peel a guava.

I think it is probably easiest to determine what effect you want, as precisely as possible, and then see which mechanical system fits best, never forgetting the excellent suggestion from OddHat that facial damage could just be the sfx of a punch.

Following the punch pun, I understand that Rick is volunteering for the test of whatever builds you come up with.

HAHAHAH!!!!