[PAH] Gear and Mutations...

Jkeown

Gear

So in last night's Gamma HERO game, the gang loved the idea of scraping together parts to build their own gear, rather than saving up cash to buy it. I introduced the idea of "Spares" bits of equipment, not named parts, just "Electronic Spares" and "Mechanical Spares." These bits were found using Steve's Scavenging rules in PAH. My idea was that a "Spare" was equal to one active point toward building a focus.

After two hours, they wanted to know what bits they were finding. That, I knew, would lead to my having to have deep knowledge of stuff I know nothing about. Still, they insisted we have some way of scraping stuff together to make equipment.

We all love World of Warcraft in these parts (Indianapolis) and using the tradecraft system from that game, I think I've got a method of using the PC's Electronics, Mechanics, Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, various Sciences and Professions in a Tradeskill system. Is there any interest in seeing this system?

Hint: There are rules for Duct Tape.

Mutations

Characters in this new Gamma HERO game can save up experience points in a pool, converting them to Darwins that they can spent as Real Points on Mutations they'd like to have. If exposed to mutagens, they can spend their Darwins, or take their chances with the Mutation tables.

Re: [PAH] Gear and Mutations...

Okay... How's this?

Good Scrounge!

During their exploration of Gamma Terra, our heroes will encounter articles of the Age of the Ancients, to which dramatic "selective entropy" has been applied. That is, in the interest of fun, after 800 years, rubber tires are still good, and steel tubing has just a spot of rust. Settings that take place closer to the "Big Oops" might not need such suspension of decay, but it's part and parcel of the Gamma World mindset.

As they collect these bits, they can apply their skills: Electronics, Mechanics, Armorsmith, Weaponsmith and any science they feel applies to the process of cobbling together completed items to trade or use themselves. At each stage of assembly, they record the "Margin of Success" of each roll. Various factors go into success, such as availability of tools, and whether you are working out in the wild, or in a "Shop" or "Lab."

The Total Margin of Success is compared here:

0 Very Poor Quality

1-5 Poor Quality

6-10 Average

10-20 Good

21+ Excellent

After assembly, an item is ready for trade or use during adventures.

Leafy McPlantsalot, a Mutant Shrub with a martial outlook, is assembling a Submachine Gun using the Good Scrounge system. He has Weaponsmith 12-, Mechanics 13- and a Gunsmith Shop consisting of cobbled gear he's found here and there. The Shop gives him +1 to his rolls when he's working there. Looking at the list of "Schematics" Leafy needs a Metal Tube, a Trigger Assembly, an Autofire Assembly and a Grip.

The Trigger and Autofire Assemblies breakdown further. Trigger Assembly requires 2 springs and 1 scrap metal. The Autofire Assembly requires 1 spring, and 2 scrap metal. Assuming he has all the parts, a roll is required each time he joins 2 or more parts together.

He puts together the Trigger Assembly. Rolling against Weaponsmith (Firearms) 13-, he gets a 9. This is 5 points of success.

He combines parts to make the Autofire Assembly, Again, Weaponsmith comes into play. He rolls a 13. Margin of success is 1, as he rolled right on his skill.

Now, Leafy can assemble the completed weapon. This step assumes that all the bits are going on in a single step. So, the Metal Tube, Trigger, Autofire and Grip all count as one skill roll against Weaponsmith. He gets a 12. Margin of Success is 2.

Total margin of success is 5. He checks the chart. 8 points of success is a "Average Quality" item. It's got an Activation Roll of 11-, no mods to OCV or RMod (PAH, pg 62)

If he'd used Duct Tape during any phase of construction, he would have +1 to any rolls. The stuff is amazing.

I'm working on a list of Parts, Assemblies, and Finished Gear, but it's a huge list, and I'm not sure of the final level of detail. I want to keep the number of rolls to a minimum, so that not everyone is walking around with "Excellent" weapons and flying "Average" airplanes. Margin of Success can build up fast when you have 5 or more rolls to make.

Here's a partial list of Gear...

Assault Rifle

2x Metal Tube, 1x Trigger Assembly, 1x Autofire Assembly, 1x Grip

SMG

1x Metal Tube, 1x Trigger Assembly, 1x Autofire Assembly, 1x Grip

Geiger Counter

1x Receiver, 1x Emitter

Gas Mask

2x Lenses, 1x Filter, 2x Cloth

Chain Gun

3x Metal Tube, 1x Motor, 1x Metal tank, 1x Trigger Assembly, 1x Autofire Assembly, 1x Grip

Grenade

1x Metal Tube, 1x Sulpher, 1x Chemicals

Torch

1x Wood, 1x Cloth

Flashlight

2x batteries, 1x Bulb, 1x Metal Tube

Thoughts?

Perhaps a bit daunting. When I first proposed it, the PCs protested, thinking it might be too huge to pull off.

There is no middle ground, I figure. I'm going to keep the Schematics simple, one for each type of weapon. Frex: the Shotgun Schematic will build a generic boomstick. If they want a specific model... they'll have to find it intact or buy it from a trader.

Either that, or they pry it from somebody's cold, dead hands. I'll set up a document with more complete schematics, in the meanwhile, if anyone has suggestions for some, I'll include them.

Should probably post a parts list first, huh?

Anyway, stuff can be looted from various things and critters in the game world. For example, looting a Robot might yield 3 Electronics and 3 mechanical spares (or you could just fix the Robot after you bust him up).

Loot tables would be broad enough to handle, say, any number of possible results, think of how much tubing and scrap metal you'd get after an assault on an Oil Refinery... But someone's PDA is not going to yield but 1 electronics spare.

Even then, fail your Scavenging Roll and you get nothing... Number of spares would be dictated by how big the object is, what kind by what type of item, and some are just lying around. One man's trash, etc....

Item----------------------Requires

Autofire Assembly---------1x Spring, 2 x Scrap Metal

Ball Joint------------------Scrap Metal

Battery-------------------Chemicals

Bio-Gel-------------------1x Chemicals, 2x Bacteria

Bolts---------------------1x Scrap Metal

Bronze Sheet-------------1x Copper, 1x Tin

Bronze Tube--------------Sheet Metal

Carbon-------------------1xwood

Ceramics-----------------1x Ore, 1x Glass

Chemicals----------------Ore

Circulating Pump----------2x Scrap Metal, 1x Motor

Clockwork----------------2x Springs, 1 x Sheet Metal or 1x Scrap Metal

Cloth Rags----------------N/A

Cloth Strips---------------2x Cloth Rags

Coolant Assembly---------2x Tubing, 1x Chemicals, 1x Circulating Pump

Coolant Fan---------------1 x Sheet Metal/1 x Scrap Metal

Copper Sheet--------------Ore

Copper Tube---------------1x Copper Sheet

Copper Wiring--------------1x Copper Sheet

Display Device-------------1x Copper Wiring, 1x Glass Sheet, 1x Emitter

Dry Cell--------------------1x Copper Wire, 1x Chemicals

Duct Tape-----------------1x Cloth, 1x Chemicals

Duralloy Sheet-------------1x Ore, 2x Chemicals

Emitter--------------------1x Copper Wire, 1x Chemicals

Fiber Optic Cable-----------1x Pastics

Fuel Cell-------------------1x Chemicals

Gas Bottle-----------------2x Glass

Gears Large----------------2x Scrap Metal

Gears, Small----------------1x Scrap Metal

Hard Disk-------------------1x Copper Wire, 1x IO Board

Heat Sink -------------------1x Scrap Metal

Incendium-------------------3x Chemicals, Sulpher

Interface Device-------------1x Copper Wire, 1x Mechanical Widget

Internal Combustion Engine----4x Iron Bar, 3x Copper Wire, 1x Rubber Tubing

IO Board----------------------2x Circuit Board, 1x Copper Wire

IR Optics---------------------2x Diodes, 1x Lens

Iron -------------------------Ore

Iron Sights-------------------1x Scrap Metal

Keyboard---------------------1x Copper Wire, 2x Plastics

Leather Straps----------------1x Hide

Limestone---------------------Ore

Media Player------------------1x Emitter, 1x Memory Device

Memory Board-----------------2x Circuit board, 1x IO Board

Memory Device----------------1x Memory Board

Metal Tank--------------------2x Scrap Metal

Mutagen X---------------------2x Chemicals, 4x Bacteria

Nuclear Cell--------------------1x Radiactive Goo, 1x Glass Jar, 1x Scrap Metal

Nuts---------------------------1x Scrap Metal

Optics-------------------------1x Lens, 1x Diode

Plastic tank--------------------2x Plastic

Radioactive Goo-----------------1x Chemicals, 1x Radiation Source

Receiver-----------------------1x Copper Wire, 1x IO Board

Rifle Stock---------------------1x Wood

Rubber Tire---------------------1x Plastics

Rubber Tubing------------------1x Plastics

Scrap Metal---------------------n/a

Screws-------------------------1x Scrap Metal

Servo--------------------------1x Motor, 1x Rubber Tubing

Sheet Metal--------------------1x Ore

Solid Tire-----------------------3x Plastics

Springs-------------------------1 Scrap Metal

Steel Tube----------------------2x Steel

Sulpher-------------------------Ore

Tire----------------------------2x Plastics

Toxin 9-------------------------3x Chemicals

Transmitter---------------------1x Copper Wire, 1x Circuit Board

Trigger Assembly----------------1x Clockwork, 1x Scrap Metal

Universal Joint------------------1x Scrap Metal

UV Optics-----------------------2x Diodes, 1x Lens

Washers------------------------1x Scrap Metal

Wheel--------------------------1x Scrap Metal

Sweet system going here.

So...a musket might be a Trigger Assembley, a Rife Stock, A metal Tube and an Ore (flint, ya know)

hmmm...powder. I see Carbon (1xwood) and Sulpher (Ore), but no Saltpeter

Which requires 1x Poo

(More seriously nightsoil & other high nitrate sources like guano are prolly gonna be a resource)

This kind of thing would have been great to have in the PAH book IMO. OTOH what you have could be expanded into a really wonderful DH article. :thumbup:

(Pardon all the abbreviations BTW.) ;)

I've begun work on expanding it to a full DH article. I'm going to provide a mix of items, from simply useful, to rather Wahoo. My games tend toward the bizzare.

Great addition, I plan on introducing this in my Gamma HERO game.

I put the list above on a xls spreadsheet which I have attached

Rep'd

EDIT: My only addition to this would be a column for applicable skill

I started mine in Excel, with columns for Assemblies, Needed Components, Skill, and Shop Type (Forge, Gunsmithy, Chemlab, etc)

It's coming along nicely, one item is a spare brain that remembers stuff, so you don't have to.

• 1 year later...

*cough* Bump. *cough, cough*

I checked the contents list for Digital Hero and didn't find an article about this system. So I was wondering if you posted a full version of it anywhere, Jkeown.

Not yet. My upcoming game 238 to Yuma will definately use this system. I might be able to overhaul it and post it before then.