What rule don't people know?

CorPse

Re: What rule don't people know?

As a tanget how about some interesting interpretations of the rules:

I've seen someone, because that is the way his GM ran it, that though an overall level added +1 to everything all at the same time.

I had a GM who thought that the post 12 recovery was also for recovering from being stunned - so if you were stunned after your action in 12, you didn't get a recovery, you recovered from being stunned in post 12.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Haymakers' date=' [i']even if I do quote myself,[/i] I end up having the "You Can Haymaker, THAT?" conversation with someone about every three months.

I Haymaker'ed an Ego Attack last Friday evening because I remembered that rule. For the first time. We'll have Black Diamond down for the count real quick (we broke up the session, near midnight, in mid-fight).

Speaking of Haymakers' date=' [i']even if I do quote myself,[/i] I end up having the "You Can Haymaker, THAT?" conversation with someone about every three months.

That is one I tend to forget about too, but for other reasons.

Aside from Meeb, every one of my characters has a martial arts package, and all of them have a +4d6 maneuver, so I just never think of haymakering.

I'll have to have Meeb Haymaker someone now. Woo - STR + HA + Stretching damage + Haymaker. Ugly. :)

That actually used to be the way it worked...

Must have been in 1st and/or second. I know third pretty well (that was the edition I started with) and there it was a recovery, nothing about stun.

I just read my first and second edition rules under recovery and stunning and didn't see anything about it. The only reference is that a character still gets his post 12 recovery if he is stunned. Where might those rules be? Not saying you are wrong, just curios; they could very easily be hidden somewhere I have not seen them.

My friend Chris still occasionally likes to insist that your normal PD/ED doesn't reduce the STUN you take from a Killing Attack' date=' because of the 4th Ed rule that, in fact, it didn't. Now, if you have ANY resistant DEF, your natural PD & ED will apply to reduce the STUN you take.[/quote']

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.....

It does?????

(I started with a 4th edition GM) I originally learned that that you needed resistant defenses for that, but that it would subtract STUN and BODY damage. I was surprised (but glad) to learn that normal PD does NOT stack with rPD when subtracting Killing Damage.

But normal PD/ED does subtract from Killing Damage, even without resistant defense?

I need to check my book.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.....

It does?????

(I started with a 4th edition GM) I originally learned that that you needed resistant defenses for that, but that it would subtract STUN and BODY damage. I was surprised (but glad) to learn that normal PD does NOT stack with rPD when subtracting Killing Damage.

But normal PD/ED does subtract from Killing Damage, even without resistant defense?

I need to check my book.

It works like this (the same in both 4th ed. and 5th ed.):

You are hit with a Killing Attack.

Do you have any of the appropriate Resistant Defense?

If yes, then...

1. Subtract your Resistant Defense from the BODY of the Killing Attack.
  2. Subtract your total Defense from the STUN of the Killing Attack.

If no, then you take all the BODY and STUN from the Killing Attack.

If yes, then...

Yes, the Rhinobunny has it.

If yes, then...

Ok. I think I follow. Can someone expand upon this, going into Normal Stun and Killing Stun?

Must have been in 1st and/or second. I know third pretty well (that was the edition I started with) and there it was a recovery, nothing about stun.

I just read my first and second edition rules under recovery and stunning and didn't see anything about it. The only reference is that a character still gets his post 12 recovery if he is stunned. Where might those rules be? Not saying you are wrong, just curios; they could very easily be hidden somewhere I have not seen them.

I could be misremembering, or I could be remembering a house rule. That's the problem with getting old...

Ok. I think I follow. Can someone expand upon this' date=' going into Normal Stun and Killing Stun?[/quote']

Not sure what you are looking for. Derek already covered Killing Stun. Vs. Normal Stun you get your full defense.

An example:

HeroGuy has 20PD and 20ED. He also has 5PD/5ED Armor, which is a Resistant Defense. While wearing his armor he is shot by BadGuy, who does 7 Body and 35 Stun with his 2D6 RKA Gun. Since HeroGuy gets the 5 Resistant PD from the Armor vs the Body of the attack, which means that 2 get through. But since he has some Resistant PD, he not only gets the Resistant PD from the Armour vs the Stun, he also gets his normal PD, for a total of 25. So he only takes 10 Stun. If he hadn't been wearing his Armor, he would've take the full 7 Body and 35 Stun of the attack, as he would've had no Resistant PD at all.

Against a normal damage attack he would get the total of his PD, resistant or not, vs. both the Body and Stun of the attack. So if BadGuy had shot him with a 10d6 EB for 10 Body and 35 Stun he wouldn't have taken any Body even if he wasn't wearing his Armor, and would take 10 Stun with the armor, and 15 without.

I could be misremembering' date=' or I could be remembering a house rule. That's the problem with getting old...[/quote']

Don't worry there's a cure for Transeditional Dementia...

Just read one page of the FREd every day...

And then, about a year and half later...

Start over...

Repeat as often as necessary.

That you can be both stunned and knocked out with the same blow - and have to recover from being stunned first.

Hmm... Are you sure about this one? I seem to remember somebody asking Steve this in a post, and he replied that when you're knocked out that trumps being stunned... you just recover normally after that based on how unconscious you are.

Anybody else?

Hmm... Are you sure about this one? I seem to remember somebody asking Steve this in a post, and he replied that when you're knocked out that trumps being stunned... you just recover normally after that based on how unconscious you are.

Anybody else?

You are correct -being knocked out wipes that pesky stunned effect away.

Just do what I do!

Always work it so you get knocked out just before Post 12 Phase Recovery.

Got it!...OK, so I need to buy REC=Stun=End.....soooo, REC 40, Stun 40 and End 40.....so....Con 20, STR 60, and 48 points to buy up REC,....Hmmmmmm....scribble, scrible

My friend Chris still occasionally likes to insist that your normal PD/ED doesn't reduce the STUN you take from a Killing Attack' date=' because of the 4th Ed rule that, in fact, it didn't. Now, if you have ANY resistant DEF, your natural PD & ED will apply to reduce the STUN you take.[/quote']

This was the rule in third and prior. As far as I know it was the rule in 4th as well. If I had my 4th edition book handy I'd quote a page number.