People with Powers

Doctor Agenda

I am starting a game that explores the idea of a lot of people getting powers, kind of like Wild Cards, The 4400, and Heroes.

The demographics are that a LOT of people (about 10%) will get some kind of boost, mostly very small: 1 in 10 get 0-25 base points, 1 in 100 get 26-50, 1 in 1,000 get 51-75, 1 in 10,000 get 76-100, 1 in 100,000 get 101-150, 1 in a million get 151-200, and so on up to 500 + base points at one in a billion. That's not supposed to be exact, and there's a more or less continuous gradation. Someone with zero points has to pay for their abilitiy from shifting their abilities around (eg, Bod to Com) or taking extra disads.

The cause of the empowerment leans toward wish-fulfillment in its effects, and a lot of the low-end 10% affected can be covered by a little Luck, but just in the USA that's a lot (40,000?) of amputees with a shot at buying off their Phys Lim, and maybe 7 million seniors, a lot of whom I would guess would REALLY like to feel 20 years younger. In places like Mali I would expect a lot of people to deveolop immunity to AIDS and/or malaria, get over their eating habit or have some ability to improve their food production.

The PC's will be low to standard level supers, but the scenery will be what happens in a world like this, and on what timetable? It would be profound, but I would rather society not melt down over it.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the subject.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: People with Powers

Well, and I'm not being sarcastic or dismissive here, but you just gave a good reason on why so many people in comics look so good. Even a mere 'five points' put in Comeliness would boost once average people into model level.

As for Time Table, a gradual realization of the gifts might keep things from going into instant chaos. Some people might not even notice it happening to them.

10% of the population starts to manifest abilities that they didn't used to have? Sudden wealth, success, good looks, good health, or even superpowers? Meanwhile, I continue to wage slave and sniffle and wish I had more time, energy, and motivation to get to the damn gym once in a while?

Burn, witch, burn.

I foresee great social upeaval, and yes, witch-hunts, literal in many parts of the world, figurative elsewhere. 10% of the world would be regarded with a disdain currently reserved for Barry Bonds. Cheaters, liars, thieves (stealing success that could go to an ordinary person, a regualr person, a REAL human being.) Think we like to smack our idols down now? Yikes.

10% of the population starts to manifest abilities that they didn't used to have? Sudden wealth, success, good looks, good health, or even superpowers? Meanwhile, I continue to wage slave and sniffle and wish I had more time, energy, and motivation to get to the damn gym once in a while?

Burn, witch, burn.

I foresee great social upeaval, and yes, witch-hunts, literal in many parts of the world, figurative elsewhere. 10% of the world would be regarded with a disdain currently reserved for Barry Bonds. Cheaters, liars, thieves (stealing success that could go to an ordinary person, a regualr person, a REAL human being.) Think we like to smack our idols down now? Yikes.

Yeah, even an unaffected person who got a break at work or beat out a rival in love might be thought to have gotten some unearned 'extra'. There's definitely going to be some of that, maybe a lot in certain places and situations. Not to mention the religous implications.

If most of the regular desires (money, success, fame, popularity, etc.) were handled through some manifestation of the Luck ability and 90% of those affected were on the bottom rung (+0-25 points), how long do you think it would take people to figure out the extent of the event? If say, in the USA, about 27 million are at the lowest level, and 15 million of those get something non-obvious like Luck or +5 Ego or 'doesn't get fat no matter how much she eats', how long before people start wondering?

Yeah' date=' even an unaffected person who got a break at work or beat out a rival in love might be thought to have gotten some unearned 'extra'.[/quote']

How is this any different than the world as we know it?. Some folks win the genetic lottery and grow up to be leading actors and supermodels. Some people are born into a family that guarantees success and wealth. We poor schlubs seeth with jealousy and bemoan our lot. Eventually we find some lame job and marry the plain girl from down the street, so that we can live out our schlubby little lives in obscurity.

I don't see major social upheavals. I see a new type of reality show, and a type of instant celebrity. I see some controversy in professional sports and academia. I see governments and other large organizations trying to find the big guns and put them to work.

I do see one possibility for major social change If you have some people in the cosmic power level, you might create a new level of governance outside of traditional nation states, narco governments and multinational corporations. If one man can put up a good showing against a conventional army, even if they have superpowered backup , he/she can theoretically cut out a piece of ground and rule it. I would.

I'm thinking the foremost desires of certain groups will be predictable. Maslow's hierarchy would apply, where someone is at on the 'need pyramid' would color how they were affected. People in a crisis situation will get something that helps them through that crisis. Someone suffering will be relieved. Someone lonely will be more popular.

Competitive careers which require a great deal of dedication and personal investment, where people always have a need to do better (athletes, musicians, actors, physicians, etc) would tend to result in people getting better at what they do (as opposed to merely more successful, which could be covered by Luck). If you're practicing for the Olympics, one more inch of Running could mean breaking a record. If you've always been at the edge of stardom, +1 with a performance skill might put you over the edge.

If someone starts running at 40 mph, you know to not let them in the Olympics because they have an unfair advantage, but what about someone who is only 1 mph faster than they used to be?

And how unfair is it? Most people who are successful had some breaks: well-to-do family, good lucks, sharp business sense, talent, taught self-discipline, etc. You don't earn your genetic endowment or family situation. Is this event unfair or is it giving everyone, rich or poor, white or black, man or woman, young or old, the same chance for something better?

How is this any different than the world as we know it?. Some folks win the genetic lottery and grow up to be leading actors and supermodels. Some people are born into a family that guarantees success and wealth. We poor schlubs seeth with jealousy and bemoan our lot. Eventually we find some lame job and marry the plain girl from down the street, so that we can live out our schlubby little lives in obscurity.

I don't see major social upheavals. I see a new type of reality show, and a type of instant celebrity. I see some controversy in professional sports and academia. I see governments and other large organizations trying to find the big guns and put them to work.

I do see one possibility for major social change If you have some people in the cosmic power level, you might create a new level of governance outside of traditional nation states, narco governments and multinational corporations. If one man can put up a good showing against a conventional army, even if they have superpowered backup , he/she can theoretically cut out a piece of ground and rule it. I would.

And, you're repped, and not just cuz I was just thinking some of the same things. :)

That's how it would probably play out in the First World: 24-hour news cycle, a whole new level on 'Who Wants to be a Superhero?', people wanting to get a piece of someone with a kewl ability. But also probably a deniable CIA spin-off to capture and study the people who have changed and old rich guys trying to extract youth or powers from kidnapped extranormals (gotta get a better name for them than that).

The cliches would probably dominate in the rest of the world, totalitarian states recruiting super soldiers, treated like gods in India, etc.

Well, and I'm not being sarcastic or dismissive here, but you just gave a good reason on why so many people in comics look so good. Even a mere 'five points' put in Comeliness would boost once average people into model level.

As for Time Table, a gradual realization of the gifts might keep things from going into instant chaos. Some people might not even notice it happening to them.

That's a very good point and probably a VERY common desire. Upheavel in modeling world to follow...not to mention most of the 10% of models affected probably want to look even better.

It would probably take awhile to notice you're a bit luckier and a lot of people would take reaching a new plateau in something as being the result of their hard work.

Maybe a random time period for manifestation, from instant to weeks or months, would spread out the shock and obscure the triggering event. I'm thinking the event might be accompanied by vibrations, like mild tremors, that could be a serious problem in geologically unstable areas--a few earthquakes and volcanoes would distract the media and give people who just got super powers (like PCs) a motivation to use them heroically.

I suppose some people would try costumes and code names because they've learned it's 'the thing to do' from comics and movies...it would probably be a good idea to do SOMETHING to conceal your identity.

Re: Luck - here's a question: what's the definition of a 'scene' in the average person's life?I'd argue that, in this case, everyone has at least 1 scene daily: their normal routine. Things beyond that (an interesting phone conversation, a dramatic confrontation with a loved one, getting mugged, whatever) counts as an additional 'scene'.

Even 2 levels of luck, if used in every scene that a character is in, will show up fairly quickly IMO. Note this would also be a way to see some of the underlying metaphicics of the world, as people would realize that their luck seems to work more often in dynamic situations, even if they're not DANGEROUS situations.

Luck would be useful frequently, maybe not every day, but it should help keep you safe and help you get what you really want. Once a week, minimum, plus dynamic situations, especially if there is a big risk. The risk doesn't have to be physical, trying to pick up a date 'out of your league' or moving half your 401K into emerging markets would certainly count.

Good point about people noticing they get more good luck when they engage in risky/dynamic behavior. It's especially interesting when you keep in mind you can never really count on Luck.

Yes, most of the PCs top out around 10 DCs, although one has high layered defenses as his 'schtick'. NPCs with armor-piercing, sticky, uncontrollable Luck are certainly an option. :)

Luck variations are more likely to be limited versions of Luck, though, like only with gambling or only to get away with infidelities.

Ooh - other question on Luck - is the character aware of their power? All players are aware of their character's Luck, and they spend it to their percieved advantage; to use the previous example, PC's are aware of their abilty to spend luck to pick up someone "outside their league". However, it seems implied that the average citizen in this circumstance isn't aware of their power, like they would be aware of the ability to shoot laser beams from their eyes. As a consequence, it sound like they have the "No Concious Control (-2) limitation on it.

Otherwise, I would see the standard use of luck to be more along the lines of the character focusing their will, and having something beneficial happen; kind of like coincidental magic from Mage: the Ascension, actually.

Do you think, particularly in the USA and the rest of the First World, that ill-will and envy will outweigh wonder and curiosity? Barring overreaction from society, an empowering event could be a very good thing. Most peoples fundamental desires are fairly innocuous and sometimes beneficial to others as well as themselves. The next best thing to getting rich yourself is having rich friends and relatives. If your formerly nerdy bud is suddenly a chick magnet it may be humbling, but his cast-offs might be an improvement over your usual. If your best girlfriend's IQ goes up 30 points, she might have a helpful idea or two for you.

I'm not saying that small-mindedness and jealousy won't be pretty common, I guess they must be, but won't it be a mix? And what will dominate?

Speaking of dominate, I know there will be a nasty cohort with nasty abilities who will use them for nastiness. I think they would be a minority, like criminals. I think most of the ethically-impaired would realize there are legal ways to profit from their gifts, and while they might mess it up by being shady out of greed or impatience, few true super villains at first.

The most powerful of all, the Guy Behind It All, will be a dangerous lunatic capable of almost anything, including a campaign to reclaim all the power that was supposed to make him truly omnipotent.

Ooh - other question on Luck - is the character aware of their power? All players are aware of their character's Luck, and they spend it to their percieved advantage; to use the previous example, PC's are aware of their abilty to spend luck to pick up someone "outside their league". However, it seems implied that the average citizen in this circumstance isn't aware of their power, like they would be aware of the ability to shoot laser beams from their eyes. As a consequence, it sound like they have the "No Concious Control (-2) limitation on it.

Otherwise, I would see the standard use of luck to be more along the lines of the character focusing their will, and having something beneficial happen; kind of like coincidental magic from Mage: the Ascension, actually.

I think the default Luck would be something you could have without being aware of it at first, the rules are a little vague on this point, but my impression is the player reminds the GM (or vice versa) to use Luck when appropriate. Maybe it would be an advantage to use Luck at will, since usually you only get to use it once per scene?

A 'coincidental magic' based on Luck would be a tres' cool power for someone to have.

An entertaining (to me, at least) diversion playing with this concept is to roll 10% to see if a famous person is affected. I did it with the presidential candidates, none of the Democrats were affected but two of the Republicans were: Tancredo and Huckabee. Huckabee was further fortunate enough to be one of the 1 in 100 to be at the next higher power level. I don't plan to change the election results from how they play out in the real world, but I may use it to add some color. I presume I know what both men really want. ;) I'm thinking along the lines of +5 Int, +5 Ego, +10 Pre, 2d6 Luck, and +5 to Oratory for Huckabee and lesser similar abilities for Tancredo, maybe +2 Int, +2 Ego, +5 Pre, and +2 to Oratory. I'm not personally for either of these guys, but it's kind of fun to think about how it will affect the race in the world of the Vibe...will they be outed, will a shadow organization form to keep altered people out of politics, or will one of them win the election and turn out to be more competent than expected?

I'm thinking along the lines of +5 Int' date=' +5 Ego, +10 Pre, 2d6 Luck, and +5 to Oratory for Huckabee and lesser similar abilities for Tancredo, maybe +2 Int, +2 Ego, +5 Pre, and +2 to Oratory. I'm not personally for either of these guys, but it's kind of fun to think about how it will affect the race in the world of the Vibe...[/quote']

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for showing up for this press conference on such short notice. In reviewing my campaign platform tonight, it became obvious that a lot of the ideas on it were either bad, corrupt, stupid, logically flawed, or just plain not what any sensible president would ever dream of doing. In keeping with my promise to do my utmost to be the best possible presidential candidate and president that I can be, here is my revised platform, effective immediately..."

Can anyone point me to a thread about a similar concept to this setting?

I don't know about a thread here but have you ever read the Wild Cards series of books? Give them a shot if you have time for the reading, the books are compilations of short stories from various writers using the same world.

Part of the premise is that a global event triggers genetic mutation is people everywhere. Most infected die, those that remain are divided into three basic groups. Jokers who have horribly altered and are often hideous and rarely have any super powers (There are exceptions.) Aces, those that basically won the lotto when it comes to superpowers and Deuces, those with no deformity like Jokers but only trivial powers at best.

Another major factor in the books was personality and flavor, getting away from standard comic book conventions. The first one really sets up the world and you can watch a kind of alternate timeline evolve as the stories progress.

I hope that helps.

- - -

On a side note are all the powers based on the targets desires like some unconscious control? If I were a public figure, forget everything else I'll take a bump to PREsence, it's like mind control light. :eg:

"Ladies and Gentlemen' date=' thank you for showing up for this press conference on such short notice. In reviewing my campaign platform tonight, it became obvious that a lot of the ideas on it were either bad, corrupt, stupid, logically flawed, or just plain not what any sensible president would ever dream of doing. In keeping with my promise to do my utmost to be the best possible presidential candidate and president that I can be, here is my revised platform, effective immediately..."[/quote']

That's just crazy enough to work! That +5 Ego is doing it's job if a candidate is actually willing to re-examine his position. Of course a drastic change in approach will tip off Hillary that SOMETHING IS GOING ON...especially with Stay the Course for Honor Huckabee.

I don't know about a thread here but have you ever read the Wild Cards series of books? Give them a shot if you have time for the reading, the books are compilations of short stories from various writers using the same world.

Part of the premise is that a global event triggers genetic mutation is people everywhere. Most infected die, those that remain are divided into three basic groups. Jokers who have horribly altered and are often hideous and rarely have any super powers (There are exceptions.) Aces, those that basically won the lotto when it comes to superpowers and Deuces, those with no deformity like Jokers but only trivial powers at best.

Another major factor in the books was personality and flavor, getting away from standard comic book conventions. The first one really sets up the world and you can watch a kind of alternate timeline evolve as the stories progress.

I hope that helps.

- - -

On a side note are all the powers based on the targets desires like some unconscious control? If I were a public figure, forget everything else I'll take a bump to PREsence, it's like mind control light. :eg:

That's VERY helpful, I had read most of the series when it came out, but the reminder could not have been more timely.

I guess my world is similar, with the 'virus' (mine is subatomic nanotech, but same difference) resulting in 90% Deuces in 10% of the population(but a small power point-wise can be very useful), gradually going up in power until you reach Ace-level. Jokers would mostly come from subcultures: gamers who really want to be Elves, Goths who really want to look like Vampires (but don't have the points to REALLY screw themselves over), Furries that want to be half Arctic Fox or something, that sort of thing. I'm not sure what kind of percentage that would be.

I heartily agree on the Pre, and it works on TV, too!