People with Powers

Doctor Agenda

Re: People with Powers

Yes they do. And it will definitely be disruptive, although 10% of the guards will get something too, I'm thinking most of them will want the usual and a lot of the prisoners will want to get out or get tougher. You know a few are going to be able to turn Invisible or Desolid, and plenty (as in 10% being a lot under the circumstances) are getting another 10 or 15 points in Characteristics, Escape Skills, knife-proofing, fast-healing, and the like. Instant super-villains with easy access to minions (you may as well take some with you on the way out). The good news is that most of them won't require super-tech to keep locked up once the Warden twigs to what's going on, just extra safeguards. The bigger the prison the worse it will be because the chance of getting a higher-powered inmate goes up. A prison with 2,000 inmates would have a couple of people with +50-75 points on average.

Something else for my crew with an average Int of 23 to anticipate.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it weren't for the Great Bank Collapse of 2030.

Hence the necessity of Inherant (+1/4) on the wealth. No Recession for me! :)

though admitadly, I don't have it on more than 1 point of wealth. That being said, I can probably justify buying a naked advantage "Inherant, wealth, up to 10 points" for 2 points instead. I earn enough money by myself as it is; with this variation, I can't actually LOOSE any due to economic misfortune.

Yes they do. And it will definitely be disruptive, although 10% of the guards will get something too, I'm thinking most of them will want the usual and a lot of the prisoners will want to get out or get tougher. You know a few are going to be able to turn Invisible or Desolid, and plenty (as in 10% being a lot under the circumstances) are getting another 10 or 15 points in Characteristics, Escape Skills, knife-proofing, fast-healing, and the like. Instant super-villains with easy access to minions (you may as well take some with you on the way out). The good news is that most of them won't require super-tech to keep locked up once the Warden twigs to what's going on, just extra safeguards. The bigger the prison the worse it will be because the chance of getting a higher-powered inmate goes up. A prison with 2,000 inmates would have a couple of people with +50-75 points on average.

Something else for my crew with an average Int of 23 to anticipate.

The problem is that, inasmuch as being a prison guard kinda sucks, possibly half of those enhanced guards will take the first opportunity to give notice, and move on to do something more fulfilling/lucrative with those new abilities.

You'd have breakouts and riots all over the country. Most likely the prison population would have declined by 10 percent or more after the first week. And they'd have a hard time getting new guards...

Too right. Remember that a lot of these guys are in for non-violent crimes, so there will be some mitigating circumstances...maybe even a few inmates who will try to keep a lid on things. The good thing is that most of the Low-powered Supers (1 in 100,000) and Standard Supers (1 in a million) will be reasonably decent folk. Most of them might not want to fight crime, but a few will (and a few will go bad), most won't try to make things worse, and some will try to help out if it's a REAL emergency.

I think a fair number of people wish they could be a hero. Some of them are going to get new psych lims that will help them be heroic if they don't have the right psychological twists already.

I'm arbitrarily designating that out of 300 Standard Supers (in the USA), 30 will be willing to do the whole Super Hero thing without much prompting and 30 more will pitch in on something like mass prison breaks and riots, realizing their powers will protect them and Something Has To Be Done. I believe many people feel more responsible for intervening when they know they can bring something few others can--like a doctor at an accident scene. With the same kind of ratio on the LPs--cut in half due to fewer feeling obliged to pitch in because of their low power level or unsuitable powers--that's another 300 or so willing to do something to stem the tide of disincarceration. They would be spread thin, but they would definitely outnumber the inmates at their power level. A problem would be that almost none of them would have the right training to handle the situation most productively, but rounding up baddies and putting them back where they belong goes a long way.

A big spontaneous effort like that might do a lot for public perception of empowered people. And open up new opportunities in the exciting world of penal enforcement.

Another problem with such an immediate and large crisis drawing in Talents is that probably a goodly number of under-powered folks may show up. Being able to fly at over 30 mph is nifty, but when it's all you've got, a pistol lifted off a guard can put a quick end to your soaring career. People on the bottom end of the point spread can be very handy to have around if they have some grasp of their limitations, if not they become bystanders, hostages, and cannon fodder. Our Empath should be useful for quelling a riot and getting scrubs to work with our team instead of against it, so we should be fairly successful dealing with OUR maximum security prison break. Some of those prison riots will also be fiascos.

No, the Vibe involves Quantum Nanotech, it's 'inscribed' ON the DNA, not coded into the DNA, so it can be inherited but not detected by gene-sequencing. It will be years before technology to detect it will be developed, unless some Viber super-inventor figures it out. A few people will have powers that will let them detect other Vibers...one of the PCs can do that. Barring the unforeseen, I'm expecting to start the game on Friday (Oct 5), and I will incorporate the idea that governments will make testing for the Vibe a top priority and will aggressively recruit anyone who can ID Vibers.

First session went well, the PCs, starting to feel their powers, respond to an urge to head for the dam, where they find a teetering SUV (containing a child who can Summon help) and a freshly unsunken B25 smashed against the dam on the resevoir side, freed by seismic consequences of the Vibe (we don't have the most stable geology). The next few days were spent exploring our powers, with some developing more quickly than others. We twigged to the danger posed by our local maximum security prison and are taking turns staking it out. Good thing, too.

Meanwhile, our empath's player couldn't make it so she is starting on her quest to convince influential people to put a positive spin on events.

Thanks for the ideas!

• 3 months later...

This game has taken an interesting turn. I mentioned that most schools were not allowing Alt (the word for paranormals that has taken root) students who had been disruptive to return to school after winter break. They just aren't equipped to deal with students who can punch through cinderblock walls or melt things with their minds.

It was intended as an example of the dislocation the Vibe has led to, but the players have taken it upon themselves to establish a Middle-High School private academy for the 250 most unmanageable Alt children in the state of SC. I should have seen it coming, one of the players is a civil engineer specializing in school inspection, another is a school counselor, and another has a degree in education. I've got Teen Champions and am prepared to take this where it goes, but has anyone else had a game where the PCs are the FACULTY at a super school?

VERY true and why I'm particularly trying to get a feel for what most people would really want' date=' expressed in points, and why I think the hundreds of millions of people hovering around 10 extra points will have more of an effect than the relative handful of real supers. [/quote']

Someone already mentioned Maslow's Hierarchy and I think that's a good place to start. If you're not familiar with it, you should be. At the bottom are physiological needs--air, food, water, sleep, sex, etc. Once those are satisfied, people start worrying about safety--physical safety, secure employment/resources, secure property, etc. Next you worry about love and belonging--friendship, family, love, etc. After that's taken care of, the next item on the checklist is esteem, and then self-actualization.

People at the bottom of the pyramid are going to "spend" their points dealing with the basics. Either lots of Life Support powers (no NEED for food, air, sleep, etc.) or powers that will enable them to acquire same, whether that's powers which enable them to create the things they need, or enable them to beg, borrow, buy or steal them. Strength (to rob people), speed (to snatch and run), Charisma (to beg or negotiate for them), whatever.

I think that there's a thread on the forums here--somewhere--in which folks were challenged to come up with the most powerful powers they could cobble together on a very limited point budget. Five or ten points, I think. You might see if you can find it. It's a gold mine of ideas for low-point characters in this game.

Someone already mentioned Maslow's Hierarchy and I think that's a good place to start. If you're not familiar with it, you should be. At the bottom are physiological needs--air, food, water, sleep, sex, etc. Once those are satisfied, people start worrying about safety--physical safety, secure employment/resources, secure property, etc. Next you worry about love and belonging--friendship, family, love, etc. After that's taken care of, the next item on the checklist is esteem, and then self-actualization.

People at the bottom of the pyramid are going to "spend" their points dealing with the basics. Either lots of Life Support powers (no NEED for food, air, sleep, etc.) or powers that will enable them to acquire same, whether that's powers which enable them to create the things they need, or enable them to beg, borrow, buy or steal them. Strength (to rob people), speed (to snatch and run), Charisma (to beg or negotiate for them), whatever.

That's a good analysis. The special effects can vary widely. A lot of Vibed people in 3rd World countries might have part or all of their poverty bought off. It could be reflected different ways for different people. One person might find their crops grow better while another might have an idea that lets her get better prices for her goods, while another just has a run of good fortune. Technically they have some sort of power, it is just subtle, unconscious, and represented by buying off a disad instead of putting points in crop-growing powers or something. I agree Life Support powers would be pretty common, especially in disaster areas and cultures that live in extreme environments like deserts. And just being good enough at something to stand out can secure some prosperity for most people, so heightened characteristics and skills are right up there. About half the world's population is in enough poverty that with Maslow's hierarchy I feel safe in assuming that the majority of Vibed will get something to alleviate their poverty in some way. That makes them easy to shop for AND makes me think you could expect a disproportionate uptick in productivity in those areas. One of the things keeping the Vibe from causing this world to spiral into a PA Hero game is the good a lot of Alts can do for their families and friends. I may introduce an alternate earth where the Vibe did that, maybe because the majority of less powerful Alts weren't created so there was no buffer between normals and supers.

And let's see, people in a warzone would want powers to keep themselves safe and protect their loved ones, and the power to retaliate. Attack powers, combat abilities, armor, force fields, force walls, mind control to stop violence, danger sense, enhanced movement to get away, that kind of thing.

Oh, the PCs did such a good job keeping a lid on our local maximum security prison through the power of empathy and persuasion that certain agents of the government decided to stage a riot under controlled circumstances. The newly formed Power X paranormal representation agency (all the PCs and many other local vibed types are incorporated and trademarked now) was able to quell it quickly. It turns out that rather than trying to contain unmanageable paranormal prisoners the government is offering to commute their sentences to the rest of their time in government service with fat paychecks. It looks like most of our rioters are headed for the Middle East, where a lot of confusion is already being caused by use of Alt powers on all sides. It's not very progressive, but it has certainly been effective in quelling the prison violence in the short term. Is it just a rumor that the convicts were threatened with assassination if they didn't 'volunteer'? What's going to happen when these guys come back to the states, now combat veterans with military training?

I had a similar story setting idea only in mine everyone got at least base level powers.

ET Quantum Nanites (i.e. Pseudoscience pixy dust) is spread uniformly all over the world. I call it the Seed. The basic purpose of the seed is to prepare the planet to fight off or survive through a really nasty alien invasion.

There are 10 classes of seed (S1…S10). S1 is the minimum base. At that level everyone gets Regeneration, +5 resistant defenses, LS: No Need to Eat or Drink, Immune to disease and toxins, Limited resistance to radiation, cold, and heat. S9 is all that plus some basic improvements on stats or some small powers. Each number on the scale is approximately 10 times more powerful than the next lower. The Greek classifications are broad categories more commonly used to denote general power level. Alpha and Beta levels are very, very powerful - easily Superman/Silver Surfer or better.

07JUL10 - Superseed Explodes

Total World Population - 6.84 Billion

Population under age 14 - 1.83 Billion

Alpha - 1

Beta(S10,S9) - 86

Gamma (S8,S7,S6) - 81,300

Delta (S5,S4,S3) - 81.3 Million

Epsilon (S2) - 732 Million

Zeta (S1) - 5.73B Zt + 0.3B Zx = 6.03 Billion apparent Zetas (Za)

All children (Zx) under puberty appear to be zetas, though that may change on maturation

Omega (S0, No Seed) - None after S-Day, used as a baseline or historical comparison.

US Population - 309 Million

Population under age 14 - 62 Million

Alpha - 1

Beta(S10,S9) - 9

Gamma (S8,S7,S6) - 4,000

Delta (S5,S4,S3) - 4 Million

Epsilon (S2) - 36.1 Million

Zeta (S1) - 269 Million Za

Population Frequency

Epsion 1:10

Delta 1:100

Gamma 1:100K

Beta 1:100M

My question is how would the world change if everyone woke up one morning bulletproof and with no need for food or shelter.

Man, late to this party, totally!

I came up with a similar idea as far as the numbers go... though I didn't have the wish fulfillment idea (very cool!) and mine started with a "standard" supers world. If you want to read about it, you can find more info here.

So, what would I do with 15 points? Quite possibly the long life and health or even immortality route. Another idea would be Shapeshift (yeah, I wouldn't mind trying out the other side once in a while, and I don't mind admitting it!) or, if I could squeeze it down enough, an Extradimensional Movement with Leaves Body Behind, to any dimension.

I had one character who was pretty cosmic powered, who had all of those elements now I think about it. Shapeshift was the basis, and in a huge VPP he frequently had full on EDM, LS vs. Aging, Regeneration... when I remade him for 4th edition the GM insisted I go with a Multipower of his common abilities instead. Still made him pretty buff.

I had a similar story setting idea only in mine everyone got at least base level powers.

ET Quantum Nanites (i.e. Pseudoscience pixy dust) is spread uniformly all over the world. I call it the Seed. The basic purpose of the seed is to prepare the planet to fight off or survive through a really nasty alien invasion.

There are 10 classes of seed (S1…S10). S1 is the minimum base. At that level everyone gets Regeneration, +5 resistant defenses, LS: No Need to Eat or Drink, Immune to disease and toxins, Limited resistance to radiation, cold, and heat. S9 is all that plus some basic improvements on stats or some small powers. Each number on the scale is approximately 10 times more powerful than the next lower. The Greek classifications are broad categories more commonly used to denote general power level. Alpha and Beta levels are very, very powerful - easily Superman/Silver Surfer or better.

Alpha - 1

Beta(S10,S9) - 86

All children (Zx) under puberty appear to be zetas, though that may change on maturation

Omega (S0, No Seed) - None after S-Day, used as a baseline or historical comparison.

Alpha - 1

Beta(S10,S9) - 9

Gamma (S8,S7,S6) - 4,000

Population Frequency

My question is how would the world change if everyone woke up one morning bulletproof and with no need for food or shelter.

Cool concept! I used the quantum nanite idea too, could we be related? I'm using a Greek classification system, too, only with Alphas at the low end and Zetas on the high, plus Zed, Theta, and Omega for the really powerful ones (six or seven Omegas in the world, running over 800 points).

Man, late to this party, totally!

I came up with a similar idea as far as the numbers go... though I didn't have the wish fulfillment idea (very cool!) and mine started with a "standard" supers world. If you want to read about it, you can find more info here.

So, what would I do with 15 points? Quite possibly the long life and health or even immortality route. Another idea would be Shapeshift (yeah, I wouldn't mind trying out the other side once in a while, and I don't mind admitting it!) or, if I could squeeze it down enough, an Extradimensional Movement with Leaves Body Behind, to any dimension.

I had one character who was pretty cosmic powered, who had all of those elements now I think about it. Shapeshift was the basis, and in a huge VPP he frequently had full on EDM, LS vs. Aging, Regeneration... when I remade him for 4th edition the GM insisted I go with a Multipower of his common abilities instead. Still made him pretty buff.

I like the world writeup, including the SUPER acronyms. It's given me some ideas for features that can figure in my setting, like crime by normals gradually going down because the odds of running into someone who can pawn you with their superpowers is too high.

Alpha - 1

Beta(S10,S9) - 86

Alpha - 1

Beta(S10,S9) - 9

Gamma (S8,S7,S6) - 4,000

Population Frequency

well, if you don't need to eat or drink, do you really need to work?

Sadly, I think one of the first things governments would work on is more powerful firearms, in order to maintain public order. OTOH, fatalities due to drive-by shootings would go waaaay down. But there'd be more than a few gangs being led by Deltas(which I'm assuming is pretty close to a 175-250 point super level).

Would there be something of a gestalt/Maslovian tilt to the superpowers? If a beautiful actress got superpowers would she tend to become more beautiful and maybe develop some kind of megacharisma? If a boxer got superpowers would they "brick out?"

I can't speak for McManus, but there is an element of that in the Vibe. At the lowest level effects tend to be straight-forward need/wish fulfillment: you get health, wealth, beauty, flight, and so forth. When you get to the higher power levels though there's an element of self-expression and a tight theme that can be expressed in a few words like gravity powers, mind over body, matter control, flying brick, etc. I'm pretty much using Titan and Soulkeeper straight up, although Gestalts tend to be a little high-powered for this game. I certainly use gestalt packages for ideas.

An assumption is that if you're already something pretty definite, you'll tend to become MORE that thing, especially if it is something demanding. So super boxers, super lawyers, super soldiers, super singers, super actors, all that. It's Joe Blow whose never dedicated himself to anything in particular who will pop out as a Wild Card more ofter, although anyone can surprise you.

well' date=' if you don't need to eat or drink, do you really need to work? [/quote']

I was looking at much large levels of societal disruption. Think of Sudan, Chad, Iraq, Afghanistan, etcetera. What would happen when people couldn’t starve and machetes and AKs could not hurt them? How many unpopular governments would fall in a matter of weeks? Especially if the looming alien threat did not become known for several weeks after the event.

Sadly' date=' I think one of the first things governments would work on is more powerful firearms, in order to maintain public order. OTOH, fatalities due to drive-by shootings would go waaaay down. But there'd be more than a few gangs being led by Deltas(which I'm assuming is pretty close to a 175-250 point super level). [/quote']

Actually the gangs would be in lots of trouble as drugs become useless (no more effect and no more addiction) and as people cannot be harmed by their weapons. And while the gangs might get their share of Deltas and Gammas (haven’t worked out exact Hero point level equivalents) so would the cops, neighborhood watches, shopkeepers, and the little old ladies from Pasadena.

Would there be something of a gestalt/Maslovian tilt to the superpowers? If a beautiful actress got superpowers would she tend to become more beautiful and maybe develop some kind of megacharisma? If a boxer got superpowers would they "brick out?"

I have not quite decided. I can see it going both ways The boxer becomes a better fighter or he gets the ability to transform any matter to silk. The juxtaposition could be funny.

One of the reasons I did not pursue the storyline is that I could not wrap my head around all the changes to human society if (most of) the first level or two of Maslov was done away with.

Eventually the large common threat would transform society as well. But what would the first month after the event be like?

Fortunately I've got 90% of humanity not directly affected, although in most games a superhuman population over 5% would be considered ultra-high. In effect, everyone's swords got a few inches longer, so the balance of power is roughly preserved in many cases. In a place like Darfur, though, OUTSIDE paranormals may be likely to step in due to the infamy of the government's and militia's actions. The US will ship as many combat-worthy Alts as it can to try to finally secure victory in Iraq.

Hostile governmental relations will take on a rock/paper/scissors quality of countering each others paranormal operatives, like you defending your secret installation from their invisible saboteurs with your psychic guards.

Fortunately I've got 90% of humanity not directly affected, although in most games a superhuman population over 5% would be considered ultra-high. In effect, everyone's swords got a few inches longer, so the balance of power is roughly preserved in many cases. In a place like Darfur, though, OUTSIDE paranormals may be likely to step in due to the infamy of the government's and militia's actions. The US will ship as many combat-worthy Alts as it can to try to finally secure victory in Iraq.

Err.... no. The number of combat-worthy alts is way above what the US government can politically recruit. Remember it doesn't take any money or advanced research to become an alt or realise you are one. Well maybe it helps to have researchers to find alts but not that much. The insurgents (note, not generally terrorists) can recruit from a population of 2.5M Epsilons, 250,000 Deltas, and 250 Gammas. That's a big boost to their power. Of course many of the alts will not like the insurgents, but practically none of them like the US occupation. When people start walking out of houses the US troops blew up and complaining about their dead innocent families they're going the US has real problems. The only thing worse than a village with no survivors is a village with one talkative survivor.

Hostile governmental relations will take on a rock/paper/scissors quality of countering each others paranormal operatives, like you defending your secret installation from their invisible saboteurs with your psychic guards.

Yep, but again, the governments don't get the boost to power than ordinary people get. That guy who your military police kicked around for years? Well he was afraid to do anything about it until one day a truck hit him and it took hours to repair the truck. Military/police forces that had a habit of abusing the population (or some part of it) will have a real tough time for quite a while.

Maybe if systematic monitoring of people's powers were possible they'd regain the upper hand. Unfortunately for most of the worst kleptocrats the people who most need to do this are the least well organised for it. This sort of program demands lots of technical skill innovation and money that your subordinates won't be blow on Benzes, beer and bimbos. My advice to the average tinpot dictator, get out before the local self-appointed hero comes through the door. And I do mean through.

The problem is that, inasmuch as being a prison guard kinda sucks, possibly half of those enhanced guards will take the first opportunity to give notice, and move on to do something more fulfilling/lucrative with those new abilities.

You'd have breakouts and riots all over the country. Most likely the prison population would have declined by 10 percent or more after the first week.

And not just from escapes. "I can grow foot long razor sharp claws and I don't bleed anymore. Who's the bitch now?" There will be a period of readjustment of "political" power to the realities of "military" power inside the prisons. I'd estimate a 25%-75% fatality rate amoung current gang leaders. In many cases this is not such a bad thing.

Hell you might even get people breaking IN to settle scores with inmates. Ayrian Nation for instance has pissed off a LOT of people.

And they'd have a hard time getting new guards...