I was expecting someone taller...

BoneDaddy

Frequently, the difference between a heroin ID and a secret ID is more than clothes. Hulk and Captain Marvel (the old DC one, the good one) are the most extreme examples, but there are others, many some variety of lycanthrope, and many who just get a little bigger when the power cosmic (or what have you) courses through them.

There are two ways to model this that I know of, and I find neither of them particularly satisfying.

Shapechange - 13 points, bought up to 26 with 0 End, Persistent, and limited as necessary.

Multiform on the lower point cost form.

Shapechange is the bargain here unless a personality change is what's desired. Multiform is the expensive version of the limitation: Only in Hero ID, only instead of costing less, it costs a pantload more.

Is there a third way? Those of you with heroes who change appearance such that Accidental Change might be an issue, how do you model that change, or do you handwaive it with a wink and a nod from the kindly GM, since it's no major benefit aside from protecting the old Secret ID?

Re: I was expecting someone taller...

Well don't forget sfx, if that is all you are after, a change of appearance. I mean Mr Normal can turn into Captain Normal, and the good Captain has 20/20 armour, bought with the VISIBLE limitation, so it has to have a visible sfx. He picks: my epidermis thickens by several inches and turns blue. It looks hard and unyielding.

His appearance will have changed, probably beyond all recognition.

To me it depends on what you want to do with the change of appearance - if it is just to keep your secret and heroic id's seperate, I'd allow the sfx route. if you want to actually use a 'useful' appearance, I'd require a power.

BTW is a heroin id one that lies on a dirty old matress with a needle sticking out of its arm?

(I shouldn't even be joking about this with my typing :))

You could also support it with a Perk, such as "Instant Disguise" or a talent or something similar, if you really want the player to pay for it. A linked, super-cheap Shape-Shift wouldn't be out of the question; Shape-Shift alone doesn't cost that much; once you've gotten it to: OIHID, Linked, etc., it'll be a nit-pick cost and not have a major impact on the character.

Is there a third way? Those of you with heroes who change appearance such that Accidental Change might be an issue' date=' how do you model that change, or do you handwaive it with a wink and a nod from the kindly GM, since it's no major benefit aside from protecting the old Secret ID?[/quote']

IMHO, if the person still has the same mind and personality, still has a recognizably humanoid form and proportions, and has no particular difficulties in changing from one form to the other, the change is essentially no more beneficial or detrimental than putting on a costume and mask to hide one's identity, which every super in HERO can do for free without any mechanical build to model it. The Crowns of Krim from Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks are notable examples of this. They can switch from human to demonic form instantly and at will, and the change can't be prevented short of extraordinary magical measures, so it's not accounted for on their character sheets.

If a character's change from normal human form to superpowered form requires special measures or can be interfered with by an opponent - must speak a magic word, requires a gadget that can be taken away, takes extra time for the change to be completed - but the character still retains his mind and personality, that's a case of the super abilities being bought with the Only In Hero ID Limitation. Personally I would consider that the minimum for someone to take Accidental Change as a Disadvantage, but in that case there should be some reason why the character would not want to change form, i.e. he has a Secret Identity, or his super form is frightening, or somehow physically limiting such as being much larger or smaller than normal.

Excellent point. Hello' date=' points. I got lost on a nod in the details of transform, and I wound up here. Heroin ID, indeed.[/quote']

I wouldn't sweat it at all..."I take off my glasses" is enough for Big blue, so it should be enough for me too...

I wouldn't sweat it at all..."I take off my glasses" is enough for Big blue' date=' so it should be enough for me too...[/quote']

:)

The "Will I tell Lois or won't I" scene in Superman one, when Chris Reeve takes off the glasses, straitens up, facial demenour changes, and vocal approach all differ "Lois I have somthing to tell you".. then when he chickens out and goes back to clark...

That really impressed on me the difference that Clark and Superman could have.

That scene more than anything in comics, sold me on the idea of secret IDs.

Most definitely. Reeve played Clark and Supes as different on so many levels, the two of them being the same person would have struck anyone familiar with both of them as being improbable at best.

Of course part of that was because Reeve was playing Clark as comical, and so could exaggerate his traits more than in a wholly serious drama.

My favorite trick.

Zero to Hero: +8 COM, +10 PRE, -1/4 Only in Hero Id

That's one of my favorite as well, though often I use just the +PRE, and occasionally also include +EGO as well. Oddly enough though, I use things like this most often for villains rather than heroes. Then again, I most often GM rather than play so I suppose that's to be expected.

The great thing about the system is that it represents the tradition.

The tradition is you get one free form change that nobody can penetrate unless they work really hard at it, or it fits the plot. It's a plot device, after all.

In real life it would probably be next to impossible to maintain a secret identity along the lines of Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent; at least not without a lot of help from people who know the truth and help cover for you. There are too many ways to discern identity even if you can't see the face (ever recognized a friend because of their walk?). With modern forensics, tracking devices, and GPS the era of the secret ID is probably over. It seems to be going away even in the comics.