Pulp/LXG Resources

Aroooo

We've started an LXG game recently, affectionately referred to as Hero by Gas Light. I just wanted to pass on some very cool resources I've found on the 'net. These are mostly some cool map resources, but there are some good money links there too.

London circa 1800's:

London Poverty Map (includes side by side current map, interactive)

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/cgi-bin/do.pl?sub=view_booth_and_barth&args=531000,180400,6,large,5

London Poverty Map (72 detailed map tiles in an image map):

http://www.umich.edu/~risotto/home.html

Very Cool Interactive London Street map (circa 1859):

http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/1859map/map1859.html

Big Map of London (circa 1854):

http://www.victorianlondon.org/1854map/1854map.htm

Other Historical Maps:

Library of Congress Maps (one source of theirs)

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html

Bodleian Library Map Room:

http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/boris/guides/maps/mapcase2.htm

Other Resources:

Current value of old money (great money resource):

http://www.ex.ac.uk/~RDavies/arian/current/howmuch.html

How Much is that Worth? (from the above site):

http://eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp/?pounds=10&year=1880&action=after70

did you know that 10 pounds in 1880 is about 530 pounds today?

Enjoy!

Aroooo

The Clocktower Club

I have just started my own LXG type campaign. I am just in the process of background development.

Characters include:-

Baron von Munchausen

Abraham van Helsing

Captain Ahab

at the moment

The bad guy is Aleister Crowley it is set during 1904.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's pretty much just the 'high concept' from the comic, and a new plot (and several new characters).

The comic has Mina Harker (still human after surviving her encounter with Count Dracula) and Captain Nemo recruit a broken Quatermain and unruly Hyde then pressgang an unwilling Invisible Man, and ultimately prevent two nefarious literary villains from conquering/destroying London.

The sequel has the same team battling invading tripods from Mars.

Just curious: how many people who have seen the movie of LXG, and/ or read the graphic novels, have ever read the novels that these characters are drawn from?

Personally, I've read Haggard's King Solomon's Mines, Wells's The Invisible Man, Stoker's Dracula and Wilde's The Painting of Dorian Grey. I've read Twain's original Tom Sawyer, but not the sequels, and I've never partaken of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

As for other appropriate literary characters of the period to be part of a League, might I suggest Mowgli from Kipling's Jungle Books? The books describe his feral strength and senses, and being able to talk to animals has its uses. ;)

I read many of the source texts as a teenager (not quite during their first editions, but almost...) but re-read them recently when doing research for my own LOEG (sorry, LXG is an abomination!) rip-off... er... homage.

Lord Liaden, do yourself a real favour and read Jekyll & Hyde. It is a masterpiece of construction and one of the most tightly plotted & lean works of fiction ever. The way the narrative dovetails through the points of view of disparate characters is a real example of how to build such a plotline elegantly.

As for other League style characters there was a thread devoted entirely to such speculation on (I think) the Non-Gaming discussion board, entitled LXG TNG and LXG Modern.

I had read all of the books the characters were based on at one time or another except for the Quartermain stories. I bought a collection of king solomans mines, she and allan quartermain and intend to remedy the lack of knowledge.

One character that I thought of that I thought would have been a nice addition was Jim West from Wild, Wild, West, the character is in the period and it seems to me it would have been fitting to have the American character be based on a TV show while all the other were from novels.

Am I correct in assuming the American was supposed to be Tom Sawyer, I had that impression but didn't see any proof of that.

Thanks for the tip on the discussion in the Champions forum, I don't spend much time in there.

Originally posted by Toadmaster

One character that I thought of that I thought would have been a nice addition was Jim West from Wild, Wild, West, the character is in the period and it seems to me it would have been fitting to have the American character be based on a TV show while all the other were from novels.

All of the characters in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel are characters drawn from period pieces. Jim West was an add-on character, created in the 60s.

It's like trying to include the Aeolus character from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys in a Greek myth.

Originally posted by AlHazred

All of the characters in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel are characters drawn from period pieces. Jim West was an add-on character, created in the 60s.

It's like trying to include the Aeolus character from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys in a Greek myth.

I realize the differance in source, it is that differance that I thought would be fitting for an American character (since we are typically portrayed as shallow, ill educated and addicted to TV violence).

Hey...Tom Sawyer would've been the wrong age anyways.

Perhaps Agent Sawyer is simply the alias of one of West's protoges. Jim couldn't come anyways, he and Artie would never leave the States or their beloved train. Besides...wouldn't they be teaching at the academy by then anyways?

I agree though...American weird west figures would've been better choices. Maybe a Buffalo Bill or Mike Fink type in the neighborhood. I wonder what Alan Moore thinks would mesh well from the American literary scene?

Been away just a few things

I have had a brief holiday and whilst I was away I visited a victorian city still with all its victorian things in it.

I have read some of the books that feature the league, invisible man, 20'000 leagues, Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde. didnt read King solomans mines it is on my to do list.

As for Tom Sawyer I havent seen the film yet, but a lot of the characters in the comics were not in the exact same time period. And Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer were just put there for the American audience.

Meanwhile, I have now got a complete list for my Clocktower Club, this is a gentleman's club of adventurers.

Capt. Ahab - Thought killed by Moby Dick, completely insane berserk.

Dr. Doolitle - Also a little crazy thinks he can talk to the animals, he has a high animal empathy.

Abraham van Helsing - After defeating Dracula again, he is the straight shooter by the book kinda guy.

Lord Graystroke - After being so long in the jungle the wild man returns to claim his rightful english heritage

Baron von Munchausen - Alcoholic, Liar, Leader