Super Names

Dynamo

This got started over on the old boards as Project 3000, referring to the statistic in Champions Universe that there are ~3000 costumed supers on Champions Earth. Alistair posted a challenge to collect 3000 halfway decent names, positing that it was perhaps not possible.

Boy, was he in for a shock. We shot past 3000 names before stalling a bit somewhere around 4000, with occassional contributions getting us to about 5000.

Then the boards went down. It came back on these boards as Bring back Project 3000 (maybe 6000), but I thought such a useful thread should be more intuitively titled. So here it is.

Contributions are encouraged. Having emerged as the maintainer of the list, I'll do periodic roundups to keep it orderly.

Some contribution guidelines:

• Try to stick to original names. That said, I'm willing to credit most claims that either you came up with a name before Marvel/DC/Whoever did or you just hadn't seen the name used and came up with it independently.
  • Try to stay in genre. Common given names, like Jonathan or Steve, make lousy superhero/villain names, and nonsense names, like Alistorinus, are more at home in swords & sorcery than in comicbook superheroes.
  • Foreign names should identify the language and provide a translation to keep them from being lumped with nonsense names above.
  • Try to avoid outright stupid names. Humor is cool, but the Chicago Hopping Slasher, Fart Boy, and Kitchen Woman are likely to be "missed" in the next roundup.

Let's go! I can smell 6000 already.

EDIT 3/27/06: FAQ

The #1 Most Frequently Asked Question

Q. Where is this list?

A. As the master list grows and is reposted, it gets further back in the thread pages. Start with the last page and work forward looking for 2 very long list posts and a few shorter ones. There will also be a post with the whole list as an attachment.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good guys

Champion -- flying brick

Micheal -- as in the arch-angel of biblical reknown

Thermal -- heat / cold powers

Thaingar -- brick from alternate universe

Barrak -- speedster from another alternate universe

Bat-man -- bat-wielding skilled normal

Dark-man -- pistol-wielding skilled normal (partner to Bat-man)

Max Gunne -- blaster-wielding legendary normal

Cheetah -- speedster

Freak -- ugly brick

Bounty Hunter -- archer

Maxima -- flying female brick with various "brick trick" powers

Tech Knight -- power-armored hero (leader of the Ultra-Knights consisting also of The Bronze Dragon, Ace, and Dimension)

The Bronze Dragon -- guy that changes into a BIG dragon-man

Ace -- lucky superhuman martial artist

Dimension -- energy projector / teleporter whose powers come from the alien dimension his body has "merged" with

Rock-Steady -- density increase hero

Vulcan -- Collossus (of X-man fame) type hero

Beowulf -- Wolverine-type hero

Pele -- after the fire-goddess of Hawaii, not the soccer player

Venus -- love/lust-based mind control powers

Superion -- a cross between Superman and Silver Surfer

Magistar -- fighter/mage with magic sword

Justice -- knight with magic sword and armor and a pegasus named Victory

Liberty Belle -- daughter of a WWII super-agent with minor superhuman physical ability and "super agent" skills and gadgets

Synapse -- TK / mentalist, his most notable ability is the power to create a mind link and "direct" a battle (sharing combat levels with those he is linked to)

Villains

The Ravager -- the poor-man's Dr. Destroyer

Missile Man -- the destitute man's Ravager

Dr. Demolition -- skilled normal with skills / gadgets relating to explosives (leads the Demolition Crew which includes Bulldozer, Blowtorch, Buzzsaw, Piledriver, and Tower)

Black Tarantula -- evil spiderman with poisonous claws and no webs

Widow -- seduction-based mind-control and a deadly poisonous bite

Daddy Long Legs -- Dr. Octopus type gadgeteer

Nibor -- demon lord and ruler of a small island nation ... much of his power comes from a magical trident he wields

Hellfire -- biker-type granted fire-based powers by a demon including a fiery motorcycle and an animated chain

Ragdoll -- a dwarf with an unnaturally soft and flexible body (making him highly resistant to normal physical damage ... smokes cigars and carries a tommy-gun, leads the Toy Box Bunch which also includes Yo-Yo, Tin Soldier, Paper Doll, and Teddy Bear)

Yo-Yo -- mutant with enhanced phsyique and a fettish for yo-yos ... wields two mechanically-enhanced yo-yos (made of advanced metals with built-in motors and spent-uranium weights) with great martial skill

Tin Soldier -- wears a power-suit that looks like an old tin soldier and carries a powerful energy rifle that looks like an old tin-soldier's rifle

Paper Doll -- female with the ability to transform herself into a two-dimensional state and create duplicates of herself while in this state (the edge of her body is a nasty NND killing attack that does body because of it's 2D state)

Teddy Bear -- a large bear-like mutant with superhuman strength, regeneration, and tracking abilities as well as nasty claws

Here are some names from a Kindom Come/Astro City type game I never ran. The Ambassador (already listed) was a Superman/Samaritan type, and his pantheon included:

Red Mantis, The spirit of justice. A corruption of Rhadmanthus, Greek judge of the Underworld.

Bigfoot, A Neanderthal analogue of the Ambassador

Galatea, an artificial woman whose love for the Ambassador freed her from her Pygmalion.

Polymer Man, a malleable hero.

Sophont, The Trancendant One

Re: Super Names

Originally posted by Dynamo

Try to avoid outright stupid names. Humor is cool, but the Chicago Hopping Slasher, Fart Boy, and Kitchen Woman are likely to be "missed" in the next roundup.

Let's go! I can smell 6000 already.

posting the list next - stand by

What in the world is wrong with Kichen Woman? I don't mean in any PC way, either, I just mean it's easy for me to envision a superheroine possessing these powers.

Re: Kitchen Woman

Originally posted by zornwil

What in the world is wrong with Kichen Woman? I don't mean in any PC way, either, I just mean it's easy for me to envision a superheroine possessing these powers.

If the first publication that comes to mind when I read a name is Too Much Coffee Man, said name is unlikely to make it to the next roundup.

Names

Well having to reregister was more of a pain than I thought.

And the new format of the names is not transferring to well either.

Now that is not Dave's fault but having to import into Excel and then into Word is not my idea of a good time.

I will have to review what is now in the list and then ask for ones to be added or readded from the original list.

Dave,

What are you using to be track of all the names ?

Re: Names

Originally posted by death tribble

Now that is not Dave's fault but having to import into Excel and then into Word is not my idea of a good time.

Not as bad as you think:

copy, paste special > unformatted text, sort, scrub for duplicates (quick because new entries have no number), renumber, reformat numbers to 4 digits, save as tab-separated-values text file (I keep as much of my data archive as possible in ascii-compatible file formats), open text file in Editpad, find/replace the quotation marks out (why does Excel put those in?).

When it's time to post a roundup, I find/replace all the tabs with " - " and copy/paste into a posting dialog. All done.

death tribble

I will have to review what is now in the list and then ask for ones to be added or readded from the original list..

Everything that was in the last roundup on the old boards is in the first list posted in this thread.

death tribble

What are you using to be track of all the names ?

I use MS Excel, following the procedure I outlined above.