Super Names

Dynamo

Super Names

Since Scrum was a character in my campaign, I always imagined him as having duplication powers as well as super-strength. Saw him as a typical low-powered supervillain for hire type.

Here's a few more names for you - taken from my campaigns and from other postings on this message board

Baal Milchamah ("battle master" or "war master") (Hebrew)

Blue Smoke

Britain's Fist

Channel

Cytell

Daedalus

Din (judgement, generally stringent in context) (Hebrew)

El lobo Miedo (Spanish - Dire Wolf)

Elektrycznosc (Polish - Electricity)

Flavius

Freelance

Gold Dragon

Greaseball

Ha'Sayif (The Sword) (Hebrew)

Inviant

Bomba, la

Lambda

Lion Heart

Lost Innocence

Maccabe

Maccabeus

Magen (shield) - star of david throwing stars? An israeli cap? (Hebrew)

Mane Man

Merkava (chariot, but also the israeli tank) (Hebrew)

Mother Lode

Mut (German)

Opor (Polish - Resistance)

Paluma (Australian aboriginal)

Pamiec (Polish - Memory)

Pole Star

Purple Wraith

Rasp

Scarlet Sleuth

Scrapyard

Seismos

Sheid-Adom (Red Devil or Red Demon) (Hebrew)

Shimshon (Sampson - big warrior) (Hebrew)

Silver Crescent, the

Slick

Soundbite

Tamarlane

Tarcza (Polish - Shield)

Tzevakot (host, as in heavenly host, or military horde) (Hebrew)

Uzi

White Wizard

Wildclaw

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Britain's Fist

Hi Death Tribble (great name by the way)

Britain's Fist was one of the names that I took from other postings on this board - probably one on ethnicicty and political correctness.

But a good name and one I would use if I ever GM or even roleplay again (my gaming group have all moved away and got married, had children etc. Sniff)

Siberian Tiger

A few more of mine:

CORPSICLE: After a heart attack, a rich man was cryogenically preserved -- ironically, this activated his metagene, restoring him to a semblance of life. Problem is, he needs the life and warmth of living beings to maintain that existence... Named by a newspaper wag, as he now either won't or can't speak.

FIRE THIS TIME, THE: South American rebel doused with gasoline and set afire by a death squad -- who did not die. Instead, he gained what he calls his "inner fire" (charisma and presence) that allows him to captivate and control people. He's more effective than ever.

MACABRE: A death themed villain whose strange powers seem different each time he's encountered.

MEDUSA MACHINE: A large, roughly spherical robot of uncertain pedigree (at least, no one is admitting to it). It's covered with instrument and weapon tipped tentacles. It does not speak, and was given its name by a hero who saw its shadow first.

PRETTY POISON: Female killer who as a master of chemistry, especially poison chemistry, and forensics, and uses this knowledge to kill and taunt detective characters. She's nuttier than the Planters Factory.

PSILENCE: Mentalist who can, among other things, cause his victim to experience total sensory deprivation for extended periods. This attack usually leaves lingering side effects.

TICKTOCK: Time obsessed villain whose ability to glimpse the immediate future makes him tactically very dangerous.

VICTORIAN, THE: Never speaks, always appears dressed in Victorian period costume (top hat, tails, walking stick, etc.), which he wields effectively in combat. Strangely, he's never lost either stick or hat, and his clothes never seem to be damaged. Strong, fast, tough, and determined. Has fought both heros and villains. Has some (so far) infallible way of escaping at the conclusion of the battle. Another one named by journalists.

I realize you don't need the descriptions -- I provide them to perhaps give you a little help evaluating the name for "worthiness" in the same context it was used.

Re: Rugby

Originally posted by death tribble

As for Scrum you really don't ask an American Footballer on the line how or why they use the name so he could go elsewhere. Plus Italy, France, the rest of the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa play World class Rugby.

All parts of the old British Empire also know what Rugby is.

Knowing what rugby is has little relation to being familiar with the frankly dumb-sounding (to an American) terminology used in the game. While reading up on the topic, I ran into at least a score of words that sound like they were made up by a young child with brain damage. :P

I'd stay away from American football comparisons were I you. The attempts at football-themed supers have been some of the worst garbage the comic-reading public has ever attempted to choke down. Just thinking about it makes me want to go through the list again and hack out anything that even smells like a sports reference. :D

Re: Too General/Nebulous or Specific Part 8

Originally posted by death tribble

I think Ardent on its own if US Ardent fails. Both it an the Giant were on the list originally.

Vapours is a mist like villain

Vaudville is for a theme villain dressed in old theatrical costume. This has been done in the comics like DC's The Prankster and members of Clown like Slapstick in Champions.

White Hat like Black Hat was a generic to show good and bad.

White Hunter is like the people of old who went on Safari. However like Kraven in Spiderman or in various film versions they now hunt the most dangerous game. People. Super powered people. And they have the safari costume to show them as people who stand out from the crowd. If you really want to show someone with an ego. Great White Hunter.

White Russian. Apart from being the name of a drink was the name of the faction that supported the Czar in Russia after the Communists try to take over.

Young Turk was the name given to the Turkish army officers who revitalised Turkey around and after the First World War.

I have also built up a new names bank of around 580 odd names. More on this soon.

US Ardent and US Giant both got clobbered by the Dumb Name filter, but I agree that Ardent and Giant belong on the list.

I originally hacked Vapours because we already had a Vapor, but I've changed my minds. The English spelling, plurality, and historical connotations all add up to a sufficiently different concept.

Vaudeville sounds better to me this time around. Sounds like a villain with no powers, a thinker who delights in outwitting the heros and overacting while doing it.

White Hat completely fails to do it for me. Genre inappropriate.

White Hunter gave me pause, but I'm so picky that I have to let at least some borderline names in. If only so I can go on to axe names like...

White Russian. Sounds like a one from Column A one from Column B name, while evoking a negative cultural connotation while you're at it. I think this one is best left as a drink.

Young Turk lacks the genre feel.

Dave,

Thanks. I am working on an expanded list that will hopefully take the list past 6000 and lay the foundations for 7000. Over the weekend I got some more and once these are sorted alphabetically I will set them down in discrete chunks for your consideration. I had around 600. But will check them against the latest version of the luist before posting.

Well the list is over 900. I will check these against the current list and post in discrete batches.

..and a few more

A few more names for the list

Rhapsody - sonic powered teenager

Mob - duplication powers

DevilEye - cursed with having the eyes of a demon - can see evil

Judge Mental

Deliverance

K9

Rogue Trader

Pawn Broker - supplier of thugs and henchmen

Bowman

Goldbug

Ultra Hooligan - Many European soccer sides have hooligan groups named Ultras.

Dave,

Here are the first batch of new names. These will be in alphabetical order and in easy to digest chunks. Hopefully.

Also some reasoning in some cases to show where the name has come from originally. And thus why it may be apt. Or not.

20th Century Boy

21st Century Girl

24/7 (the always active hero/villain)

Abductor

Adonis

Adrenaline

Adrenaline Junkie

Agamemnon

Agent Killer 74 (built as counterpart to Michael 16 AK74 for short)

Agent of Destruction

Aggressor

Aggressor Knight 47 (built as counterpart to Michael 16 AK47 for short)

Aggro

Ahketon

Air-Rider

Airborne Bandit

Alexander the Great

Alexandria

Alamo, The

All Seeing Eye

Alligator

Allosaur

Alps

Ambrosia

Ammo

Amphetamine

Anachronistic Man

Ancient, The

Ancient Mariner

Angel Eyes

Angel Face

Angel Leader

24/7 was names by the press as he doesn't have time for a name. 24/7 is slightly mad. They do not sleep as who will save people while he's sleeping. Eating and drinking must be done as must filling out arrest reports and court appearances. But otherwise the country must be criss-crossed as there is always someone committing a crime. And 24/7 is going to be there to stop them.

Adonis was so good looking that the gods brought him up to Mount Olympus. So a good looking villain could call himself this.

Agamemnon was the Greek general in overall charge at the siege of Troy.

Aggro is short for Aggravation and is a common term in Britain for trouble. Usually violent trouble.

The Alamo comes from Texas. Naturally.

Alexandria was one of many cities named after Alexander the Great. The main one was in Egypt and was home of one of the woprld's greatest libraries. Ideal therefore for an intelligence based character or one with ancient Greek or Egyptian knowledge/skills.

Allosaurus was a carnivore dinosaur in the same line as a T-Rex. Allosaur for short.

Alps after the mountain range in Europe.

Ambrosia was the food of the gods.

Anachronistic Man uses history and re-enactments to commit crimes. His goons may be dressed as Roman soldiers and then pull guns or be dressed as American Civil War soldiers and then pull out swords and shields from Roman Legions.

Ancient Mariner is named for the famous poem.

Dave,

And another batch

This completes the all the current ones with A.

Angel of Death

Angel of Destruction

Angel of Mercy

Angel of Vengeance

Antaeous

Anti-American

Anti-Grav

Anti-Hero

Antidelivulian

Antioch

Anxiety

Apocalypse

Apostate

APC (Armour Piercing Commando)

Argo

Argon

Argos

Aria

Armourer

Armoury

Aryan

Astaroth

Atlanticus

Atlantica

Augustus

Auntie American (partner of Uncle Sam)

Auvernge

Avalon

Aviatrix

Ax

Antaeous was one of the Titans of myth, like Atlas.

Anti- All these are fairly obvious. With Anti-American, I wanted something akin to Flag Smasher from Captain America.

Apostate. The anti-apostle if you like and a name that is not often used. But should be.

APC. I wanted an idea to work with the acronym APC. If you do not like the one listed, can you think of a better one ?

Argo was Jason and the Argonaut's ship.

Argon is the noble gas.

Argos is one of the Greek city states.

Aria is a song in Opera so Aria is a singing villain/villainess.

Armourer makes the nice weapons and battle suits that heroes end up fighting.

Armoury can either be a battle suit with multiple weapons or a commando like character with lots of weapons

Aryan. Fairly obvious and useful for the racist bad guy.

Astaroth was one of the fallen angels.

Augustus after the first emporer of Rome.

Having put down Anti-American as an idea, it occurred to me that you could have it down as well as Auntie American and make her Uncle Sam's partner.

Auvernge is a region of France where there are extinct volcanoes. And you get bottled water. I wanted a French hero (and please no more Jerry Lewis etc jokes/comments) different to the norm and what is usually said. The area gives them a possible good focus for an origin either through the earth contaminated by volcanic activity or via the volcanoes themselves. And the name is different to anything to do with the Musketeers etc

Avalon is one of the mystical places of the world and is where supposedly King Arthur was taken.

Dave,

With over 500 to suggest, how many do you want in batches before you put up the lists ?

I have scoured the site as well for interesting names that have not been included previously. Or perhaps even suggested.

Baba Yaga

Bacchus

Balance, La

Ball N' Chain

Baltimore

Baltimore Area Ranger (BAR)

Barbican

Baron Frankenstein

Baron Net

Baron Opal

Baron Samedi

Bat, The

Battle Lion

Battle Master

Bayonet

Bedrock

Beekeeper

Belial

Bengal Tiger

Besieger

Beta

Big Ben

Biker

Bionica

Bionicus

Bison

Black Bear

Black Cobra

Black Death

Black Devil

Baba Yaga is the great Russian horror story villain

Bacchus is the Roman god of wine among other things.

Balance, La. French villainess who does a Count Vertigo trick with people's inner ears.

Ball N'Chain. A villain who uses the call on the end of the chain. Like the Absorbing Man but without the Absorbing powers.

Barbican is part of fortification

Baron Frankenstein. Because Dracula gets done all the time.

Baron Samedi is a well known figure in Voodoo folklore. He turns up in the Vampire game and from what I now understand the new Mutants and Masterminds product.

Battle Lion. I plead insanity. It is close to Battalion.

Belial is another fallen angel.

Big Ben is the name of the clock tower buy the Houses of Parliament in London.

Bison. Another name for Buffalo.

Black Cobra is the someone's login name on the site and I thought it should be included.

Dave,

More Bs

Black Druid

Black Fox

Black King

Black Lion

Black Mail

Black Rat

Black Rhino

Black Sheep

Black Swan

Blood Brother

Blood Countess, The

Blood Feud

Blood Sister

Blood Wing

Blood Worm

Blue Death

Boa Constrictor

Boeing, The Corporate Hero

Bonechiller

Boneshaker

Borgia

Boston Bruin

Bowie

Boxer

Braindeath

Bright Sky

Brother Android

Brother Beast

Brother Death

Brown Bear

Brown Bomber

Brown Owl

Black Rhino and Swan. These are distinct to their species.

If you don't like the Blood Countess, how about Countess Blood ?

We have Boa already so Boa Constrictor is your call. And Constrictor on its own is something I am also submitting.

Boeing. I just liked the idea. And with so much air terrorism, why wouldn't the corporation try and do something about it ?

Borgia after the infamous Italian family. We have the Medici also listed.

Bowie as in the knife named after Jim Bowie. Try as I might I could not think of anything appropriate for Davy Crocket.

Brown Bomber was a nickname for a sportsman but I do not know who. Besides Black is listed like it is going out of fashion.

Dave,

This completes the Bs and starts the Cs. Would you like around 300 to consider so that the list could pass 6000 before you update the list ?

Bruin

Bruise Brother

Brutus

Buffalo

Bullseye

Burning Spear

Bushman

Bushwacker

Buzz

Buzzard

Buzzbomb

Buzzcut

C4

Caeser

Caesium

Cagliostro

Calibre King

Canker

Captain Chainsaw

Captain USSR

Capture

Carbon Copy

Cardinal St Louis

Cardinal Virtue

Carthage

Cataclysm

Catapult

Cavalry

Censure

Centrifuge

Bruin is a bear

Buzzbomb was a nickname for the V1 rocket

C4 is the explosive

Caeser. You already have Kaiser and Czar. This is the original spelling, but if you feel that we have enough of this already then kindly disregard.

Cagliostro was a sorceror from olden times in Europe.

Canker is an old word for cancer

Captain USSR. If you can have Captain America, why not ? Cap USSR was cryo frozen and is now only now revived. He is horrified to see what has happened to his beloved countryn but what to do, what to do....

Carbon Copy creates duplicates of his opponents who are loyal to him and attack the original.

Cardinal St Louis. This again I plead forgiveness for.

Carthage was a major power and opponent of Rome.

Caliogstro was an alchemist if memory serves.

CABALIST, THE: A sorcerer whose magic is based on symbology. He has some limitations, such as "target must see the symbols to be affected", and so forth. Presumably, he has a "real name", but even when captured, authorities have never been able to learn what it is. One theory holds that they do learn it, but as a name is usually a written thing, he is able to somehow "unwrite" that knowledge somehow once he manages to get free.

EYE OF HELL: Quasi demonic "punisher of evil"; he's basically an original Ghost Rider clone. His name comes from what I always thought was GR's best power: the ability to make an evildoer see the weight of his crimes (the so-called "penance stare"). I originally tried variations on HELLSEYE for this one, but was never satisfied with the way that rolled off my tongue. I'm not a huge fan of EYE OF HELL, either, but others may be.

GEISTHOUND: Inspired by a Sherlock Holmes story (in part), Geisthound has the ability to transform himself in a spectral dog -- he has some ghost powers and some dog powers. Geist, as you may know, is German for ghost. One might as easily use Ghosthound, but that was just a little too prosaic.

HEPHAESTUS: Greek god of fire and metalworking. I use this as the name of an underworld armorer a la Marvel's "The Tinkerer".

WONDERBRINGER: Loosely inspired by Twain's "The Corruption of Hadleyville", and King's "Needful Things". Wonderbringer sounds innocuous when he first appears. His goal is to magnify little hatreds until people are opening attacking and killing each other. Then he moves on and starts it up again.

Dave,

More Cs

Century

Cerebal

CEO (Cerebally Enhanced Organism)

Chain Reaction

Chalice

Char

Charlatan

Charon

Charybdis

Chat, Le (French: The Cat)

Cheap Thrill

Chicane

Chicanery

Chimbrazo

Chloroform

Chlorophyl King

Cholera

Chromatic

Chromosome Avenger

Chromosome King

CIA (Critical Injury Ace)

Cleon

Clown King

Clown Prince

Clytemnestra (Agamemnon's wife and his killer)

Cohort

Coil or Coils

Collector of Skulls, The

Colorado Beetle, The

Colossus

Commanche

Conquest

Char as in burn.

Charon was the boatman who carried the dead over the river Styx.

Charybdis. One of two monsters who Odysseus/Ulysses tried to avoid. This was the more dangerous of the two as it involved creating a gigantic whirlpool which would have destroyed his ship.

Chicane. This is found on some race tracks. Ideal for a speedster, maybe ? I know that a rock group have it.

Chicanery. Cheating.

Chimbrazo is another old volcano. South America I believe.

Cholera. We have Anthrax on the list. And no I will not be putting up flu or diahorrea for consideration.

Chromosone. On its own does not sound good. But as it had not been used I put it up for consideration.

CIA. If you can think of a better use of the acronym, please do so. I am working on a villain who is using villains with this sort of name to get back at America for wrongs perpetrated against their family. So that's why I am using it.

Cleon was a dictator in Athens in Ancient Greece.

Clown Prince is a term that has been used to describe the Joker on occasion.

Commanche is another Amerind nation.

The Colorado Beetle is the pest that destroys potatoes.

Dave,

Last of the Cs

Constrictor

Controversy

Copernicus

Corruptor

Cotapaxi

Count Karnak

Count Out

Count Rugen

Count S

Counterfeit

Counterfeit Hero

Counterfeiter

Crazy Ivan

Credo

Cremator

Crimson Arrow

Crimson Cavalier

Crimson Death

Crimson Knight

Crimson Ninja

Crimson Queen

Crosshair

Cryogenesis

Cryosphere

Cudgel

Cumulus

Curse

Cyber Cop

Cyberiad

Cyborg

Cyborg Assassin

Copernicus. After the monk I believe who stated that the Earth went round the Sun.

Cotapaxi. Another South American volcano.

Count Karnak and Rugen. If you don't like proper names please dispose. The former was a Vampire, the latter a nobleman.

Count Out. Rather obvious I admit.

Count S. I apologise for this. No really I do.

Crazy Ivan is a term the US Navy use to describe a manoeuvre that Russian submarines use. Cf Hunt for Red October

Credo is belief

Crosshair is what you see through a scope or sniper sight for example.

Cumulus is a form of Cloud.

D Part 1

Dave,

With no update over the weekend please find the start of the Ds.

Dandy (partner to Fine)

Dark Guard

Dark Malice

Dark Sentinal

Dark Shepherd

Dark Tribunal

Darkling Force

Darkness

Dashing Dilettante, The

Daughter of Darkness

Dawn

Dawnfire

Dawnkiller

Dead O'Night

Deadzone

Death Jester

Death Knell

Death Master

Death Queen

Death Spiral

Death's Disciple

Deathkite

Deathly Silence

Debacle

Debilitator

Debutante (partner to the Dashing Dilettante)

Decimator

Delamere

Delirium

Delta Wing

I am not aware of any copywright issues with these except maybe Dark Malice ?

Daughter of Darkness comes from a 60s Tom Jones song. That's where I got the idea.

Debilitator as in debilitating illness. There is no end what a mad scientist or cunning supervillain migfht use for a power.

Decimator. Several Roman legions had one in ten of theri people killed as punishment for failure. This is where Decimation comes from.

Delamere is a lake in Britain