Heroic vs Superheroic

Locnar

I've been following discussions about LXG. I've been writing up my own pulp flavored game for a while now. The question I have is: When does pulp go from being a heroic game to superheroic? Or does it ever? I can see advantages for going superheroic once you reach a certain level of power (and suspension of disbelief).

Let's take Quartermain for and example. I can think of three ways to write up incredible shooting.

1. Heroic game. Lots of range levels, OCV levels, levels with rapid fire, ect.

2. Heroic game. Use naked advantages useable on any gun. things like AP, no range modifier, autofire, ect.

3. Superheroic game. "Rifle mastery" multipower. Slots with long range shot (no range modifier), vitals shot (AP), rapid shooting (autofire). The advantage of this is that you can make Quartermain do whatever damage the GM thinks he can do with a gun for excellent shooting.

I can see advantages for all three options. Each gives a different feel and type of game.

Questions/Advice/Comments? (Jeers/Taunts/Shouts?)

--Locnar ;)

I've been having the same thoughts myself when doing a high-powered psionics game that fell in between the two types. The thing that decided it for me was that one player wanted to make a robot character, and of course that would be hideously expensive. So, I raised the point level beyond anything that could be considered heroic.

I don't know about the movie, but I thought the LXG comic book seemed heroic level or at most low-powered super. Other than Hyde, nobody was very tough at all. They each only had about one power. They spent most of their time sneaking around and fighting ordinary people. It was all pretty low key, at least in the first couple issues.

Well the movie was definately at a higher power level than the comic.

A couple of issues arise when you use Superheroic to simulate a lot of equipment.

First, some players might seek every oppotunity to pick up extra weapons along the way. The GM might have to be heavy handed.

Second, Some players may balk at buying normal equipment with points. If the equipment is a basic part of their abilities (Like Quartermain) then there's probably no problem. But, If someone is playing a character with mental powers, he might feel annoyed having to pay points to carry just a normal knife.

When I hear the terms heroic and superheroic the first thing I think is you can pick up "normal" equipment in game (don't have to pay points) or you must pay for everything with points. I realize that there are also connotations of point value ut this is secondary to me. In my opinion only costumed superheros really belong in the superheroic game, the restriction against keeping equipment you find is part of the genre, the Hulk may pick up Thor's hammer to bash him but he would never stick it in his belt for next weeks comic. In a Heroic game Hulk would think, "hammer smash good, Hulk take".

So based on my perception of the terms pulp with extrememly powerful heroes (Doc Savage etc) would generally fall into the very high point value heroic, but something like the Shadow would probably fit better into superheroic.

Originally posted by Locnar

Well the movie was definately at a higher power level than the comic.

A couple of issues arise when you use Superheroic to simulate a lot of equipment.

First, some players might seek every oppotunity to pick up extra weapons along the way. The GM might have to be heavy handed.

Second, Some players may balk at buying normal equipment with points. If the equipment is a basic part of their abilities (Like Quartermain) then there's probably no problem. But, If someone is playing a character with mental powers, he might feel annoyed having to pay points to carry just a normal knife.

I see no problem with running in a hybrid Heroic/Superheroic mode. Conventional equipment could be purchased with money, but Powers and gadgets (extraordinary weapons and equipment) would also cost points. Gadgetry would remain rare items and they would carry a heavy load of Limitations and Disadvantages to keep down the cost, since players could usually get more "bang for the buck" by investing the points in Skills and Perks.

Well, one benifit I can see by making everyone pay points for everything: It limits the amount of firepower the PC's carry around with them. Sure, if they wanna pick up a fallen Nazi's machine gun and use it until the clip runs out, that's Ok. Indiana Jones runs around with a pistal and a whip. If he was a PC, why not have a tommy gun? Indy picks up a rocket launcher in one of the movies, but it's not part of his normal gear. The gear you pay points for is your normal "adventuring" gear.

Originally posted by Locnar

Well, one benifit I can see by making everyone pay points for everything: It limits the amount of firepower the PC's carry around with them. Sure, if they wanna pick up a fallen Nazi's machine gun and use it until the clip runs out, that's Ok. Indiana Jones runs around with a pistal and a whip. If he was a PC, why not have a tommy gun? Indy picks up a rocket launcher in one of the movies, but it's not part of his normal gear. The gear you pay points for is your normal "adventuring" gear.

This sort of "balance" is one of the reasons given for requiring all players to pay points for everything in a Superheroic game. Otherwise the character who invests 5 or 10 points in wealth and buys weapons and vehicles has a huge edge over characters who paid points for powers. This is also why characters in Superheroic games are built on a lot more points: when points are the only real "currency", you need more.

One way I've always defined Heroic vs. Superhero level games is with this question:

Can a bullet kill you?

Okay, maybe a bit oversimplified, but the general idea is, can you die from getting shot once or twice from a normal gun (1 to 2d6ka)? If yes, then its heroic. Sure, there are things like body armor and such, but if you had just your PD/ED to resist with...

Aroooo