[Project] Death Note

OctoberRaven

I've been working on making builds for characters in the anime Death Note and a couple major things were stumping me...

How does one create the two major supernatural items, the Death Note, and the Shinigami Eyes?

Now, obviously to create the Note's ability to kill anyone in the world, one has to create a special advantage, Does Not Require Line of Sight(+1).

So how many points does a book that can kill anyone in the world in almost any way you can think of? I came up with this:

The Death Note: Killing Attack - Ranged 10d6, Time Delay (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), No Normal Defense ([Defense is not having your true name written in the Death Note]; +1), Does BODY (+1), Does not require Line of Sight (+1) (1125 Active Points); Extra Time (40 Seconds, Only to Activate, -3/4), IAF (The Death Note or a piece of paper from it.; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 409

The Shinigami Eyes have had a similar problem with range, so I added an advantage as well: Can Target Someone Via Image, also a +1.

Shinigami Eyes: Telepathy 10d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), No Normal Defense ([Defense is lack of a soul]; +1), Can target someone via an image (+1) (162 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to find the subject's true name; -1), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [sight] (-1/2) Real Cost: 65

So, assuming your GM will let you spend 474 XP, you can kill just about anyone you can get a picture of. I'm using Equipment rules for the builds (granted, abusive, but it makes sense) so it's not like Real Cost is a big deal.

Thoughts?

Re: [Project] Death Note

I've been working on making builds for characters in the anime Death Note and a couple major things were stumping me...

How does one create the two major supernatural items, the Death Note, and the Shinigami Eyes?

Now, obviously to create the Note's ability to kill anyone in the world, one has to create a special advantage, Does Not Require Line of Sight(+1).

So how many points does a book that can kill anyone in the world in almost any way you can think of? I came up with this:

The Death Note: Killing Attack - Ranged 10d6, Time Delay (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), No Normal Defense ([Defense is not having your true name written in the Death Note]; +1), Does BODY (+1), Does not require Line of Sight (+1) (1125 Active Points); Extra Time (40 Seconds, Only to Activate, -3/4), IAF (The Death Note or a piece of paper from it.; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 409

The Shinigami Eyes have had a similar problem with range, so I added an advantage as well: Can Target Someone Via Image, also a +1.

Shinigami Eyes: Telepathy 10d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), No Normal Defense ([Defense is lack of a soul]; +1), Can target someone via an image (+1) (162 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to find the subject's true name; -1), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [sight] (-1/2) Real Cost: 65

So, assuming your GM will let you spend 474 XP, you can kill just about anyone you can get a picture of. I'm using Equipment rules for the builds (granted, abusive, but it makes sense) so it's not like Real Cost is a big deal.

Thoughts?

No GM in his right mind would allow anything like that in his game. How do you defend against it? We had a long discussion about this when the Death Note manga first came out; in HERO, there needs to be a conceivable defense against every attack, or the attack is far too unbalancing.

Yes, you could build an attack that would obliterate the Universe in HERO, but why should your GM let you?

Granted, the Death Note is in of itself insanely unbalanced, especially with the Eyes. This was more of a 'how would Light/Misa/L/Ryuk/the others translate to HERO' project, not intended for actual campaign use.

Here's a decidedly less powerful but also much more balanced version of the Death Note, still powerful, but not impossible to defeat.

The Death Note: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Invisible to Sight Group, Source Only (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Power Defense; +3/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (+1), Does BODY (+1) (315 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), IAF (The Death Note or a piece of paper from it.; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Conditional Power Power does not work if you write the target's name down incorrectly (-1/4) Real Cost: 97

And a more balanced version of the Shinigami Eyes:

Shinigami Eyes: Telepathy 10d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to find the subject's true name; -1), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3/4), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [sight] (-1/2) Real Cost: 19, END = 2

Well, I only saw this once, but ...

The Death Note:

Mind Scan 12d6 (Human and Alien classes of minds), +10 ECV, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible to Mental Group (+1/2) (180 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures Throughout Startup Time (Complex; -1), Concentration, Must Concentrate Throughout Startup Time (0 DCV; -1), IAF (-1/2), Extra Time (Extra Phase, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Limited Power (Fails to Work if True Name of Target Improperly Written; -1/4): Real Cost 40.

Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED), Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Indirect ( Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Does BODY (+1) (315 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Phase, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1), Concentration, Must Concentrate Throughout Extra Startup Time (0 DCV; -1), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Complex; -1), IAF (-1/2), Can Only Be Used Through Mind Scan (-1/2), Linked (Mind Scan; -1/4): Real Cost 60.

If you buy it BOECV, you can strike through the Mind Scan -- and this thing works against anyone, anywhere in the world. I figured 12d6 (average roll: 42) with +10 ECV would do the job to target and lock on ...

Yeah, I saw the first episode the other night and my first thought would how it would translate into HERO. :D

Anyhow, the Death Note wouldnt be making it into any game, EVER.

I dont know much about the Eyes except for what I have read. I could see this somehow finding its way into a game by itself as some kind of way to discover someone's identity. But, even then it might be best for an NPC (who only makes occasional appearances and is neutral) to have. Might be misinterpreting it though, have to wait till I see the episodes further in.

I did think of a possible defense. To be Undead. :D

Could you imagine what Takofanes would do with that thing. :eek:

Note: Actually, the death note could be inserted as a plot device that way. Get the thing back to the shinigami who lost it before Takofanes gets a hold of it.

I dont know much about the Eyes except for what I have read. I could see this somehow finding its way into a game by itself as some kind of way to discover someone's identity. But, even then it might be best for an NPC (who only makes occasional appearances and is neutral) to have. Might be misinterpreting it though, have to wait till I see the episodes further in.

Well another thing about the Shinigami Eyes is that you also see their lifespan, but this is mostly incomprehensible to most people. HOWEVER! If they don't have any lifespan, they're actually have used the Death Note (or is using it now).