Underworld Enemies

Checkmate

HOLY COW! This book is absolutely fan-freakin'-tastic.

As I've mentioned before I recently moved and in the unpacking I found a few Champions books I hadn't seen in quite sometime. On of the books I found was Hudson City Blues. I picked up somewhere for like 3 bucks but I never really read it. Well I was out of reading material so I picked up and started reading it. I was pretty intrigued and thought it was an interesting adventure. It makes reference to characters in the Underworld Enemies, so I figured I'd see if I could find a copy of that and Justice Not Law (haven't been through the latter yet). I got them both from Amazon.com for under $15. After going through the characters in that book wow. That's all I can say is just wow.

It is easily the best Hero book I've ever read. The characters in the book run the gamut of all different types of Dark Champions characters. There are things for Street Level, DC:TAS, Mystic bent champions, psionic bent. It's all tied together beautifully. I mean there's something if you just want to run a "Silence of the Lambs" type game where the characters are normal people in a normal world, or even a game like the T.V. show Supernatural. The character's backgrounds are fabulous. I never even paid attention to the character write ups I was so engrossed in the background that I knew how I would write the characters up regardless of how they were in the book. This means that even though it's a 4th ed book, I could easily convert this to 5th ed.

I'm having a hard time picking my favorite character from the book it's between Idiot King, Freak, and Purge.

The only negative I have about the book is with the character Crusade. I read his "origin" story and had one picture of how he should be, and then you read the personality and, to me, it didn't fit the origin story. I don't want to say too much more and give anything away, but that was my one minor complaint.

Man this book rocked, I can't recommend it enough. I will warn though this is most assuredly NOT for a younger reader. It deals with very mature themes.

Re: Underworld Enemies

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chris Avellone (who went on to write little things like the computer games Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, and KOTOR2).

If you liked Underworld Enemies, go to the online store *NOW* and order the PDFs of New Bedlam Asylum and Widows and Otphans.

And, you're welcome. :-)

I think UE is far and away the best "specialized" enemies book produced for 4E. Although it's a bit hampered by hurried and harried editing, in general it just shines.

I could almost wish Chris hadn't become so darn successful in computer RPGs so I could get him to write a FELL'S POINT sourcebook that would update many of the UE characters to 5E Dark Champions. Heck, I'd pay him out of my own pocket to do it if I had to.

I think UE is far and away the best "specialized" enemies book produced for 4E. Although it's a bit hampered by hurried and harried editing, in general it just shines.

I could almost wish Chris hadn't become so darn successful in computer RPGs so I could get him to write a FELL'S POINT sourcebook that would update many of the UE characters to 5E Dark Champions. Heck, I'd pay him out of my own pocket to do it if I had to.

Well if you want to start up a collection let me know I'm in :D

I agree with the praises for Underworld Enemies, and his other titles. New Bedlam Asylum is a favorite of mine, but I've never had the opportunity to incorporate it into a campaign.

I'd love to see a Fells Point supplement. Maybe we can start a petition to Chris?

Of course, after his computer game successes, maybe he's too much of a gaming rock star now to write a Hero book. :P

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As a player and GM who liked Batman/Moon Knight/Daredevil type genres the Dark Champions line of 4th edition was the best. Even some of the problems (some editing) it made it easy to build a world of events to give my players months of play. Have not found any other materials that gave me as much to build on. When I start another game group, I will reuse/renew it all and do Earth2.