[Campaign] The Nebraskans

Gadodel

Re: [Campaign] The Nebraskans

Intermission

of sorts.

1. The players didn't know that the character they were playing was already in combat with the 'antagonist'.

2. Throughout the sessions, I had them roll their dice numerous times. I didn't tell them what it was for and it led to a lot of guessing...and even more wisecracks. Some players just rolled with it-no pun intended.

3. They didn't have any idea of what sort of campaign I was about to start because, in my customary way; things always start off bizarre.

4. The player that played Hayes was late to join the group, so naturally; I gave that player an important role so they felt included and welcomed.

5. Guess what sort of campaign The Nebraskans will actually be?

spoilers...don't tell my group-nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

My style of Pulp Dark Champions-I think you can already tell whom I've been influenced by...I named him earlier... Please keep reading.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part 28:

While the injured Nebraskans recovered, Hayes filed his report and proceeded to track the creature's 'parent'. It slowly carved a path of destruction some 40 miles towards the south and east. Its only need seemed to be water and it found plenty in the Calamus Reservoir. It sat upon its banks and simply drank.

The creature didn't move from its spot. Oddly, the creature seemed to grow. Within a week it was well over 100 feet long and over 25 feet tall. The Nebraskans evacuated the area and started to study the creature from afar. Hayes hoped that his fellow Teammates recovered soon as they would be needed again, once the creature was on the move.

The creature was an amalgam of many other types of lifeforms. It had four arms and four legs, which resembled a Komodo Dragon's. And it walked like that animal. It had a shell like a turtle and it was clear that the tentacles could be extended or retracted from the rim of the shell. The head and tail resembled an alligator's. The creature only consumed water and seemed to shun-but destroy anything else. Finally and most strangely, the creature appeared to be wearing some sort of collar; as if it was someone's pet! If so, the Nebraskans feared that the owner was a larger, looming threat!

While the Team observed the creature, a plane was picked up on radar.

Command: It's a twin engine plane that took off from Grand Island. It's originally from Colorado. It's registered to FX Enterprises...we're looking into that company now.

Team Leader: Everyone sit tight. Stay off of the radios. We're going to see what the pilot and or crew of this plane are up to. Have everything ready to go on a moments notice, though.

The plane was within naked eyesight. Its altitude was about 2,000 feet and it began circling the area. The creature got excited as if it were happy. The plane set down in a field near the reservoir. Three men got out of the plane and approached the creature. The creature got out of the reservoir and greeted them akin a dog greeting its master. It was an unexpected sight. Moments later, the creature stood on hind legs for a moment, then jumped with the agility and speed of a frog.

The three men returned to their plane, took off and followed the creature. The Nebraskans secretly followed as well. The creature was heading east...

Team Leader: I suggest we destroy the creature before it enters any heavily populated area. This part of Nebraska is fairly sparse.

Command: We're bringing a couple of F-16s in from the AFB in Lincoln. We've also sent a crew to the Calamus Reservoir to begin taking samples. We're also tracking the plane.

Team Leader: What have you found out about FX Enterprises?

Command: It's bogus. Nothing, so far.

Team Leader: I suggest we make that plane land so we can take the three men in for questioning.

Command: I'll have an F-16 diverted for that reason.

Team Leader: We'll mark out a spot for the forced landing. We'll take the the three to the Sheriff's Office in Wheeler County.

Minutes later...

Command: The first F-16s have engaged the creature.

Team Leader: We're watching another force the FX plane down. We should have three in custody soon.

Command: Once you have them, head to the site of the creature's corpse and secure that location. We better not get any of the locals involved, not yet.

The Three men gave up surprisingly quick. As if they wanted to be captured.

The Nebraskans set up a command post near the creature's corpse. Numerous investigators, researchers and security personnel were brought to the location.

The Air Force pilots had to use over 8 tons of ordinance to destroy the creature.

An unexpected set of obstacles presented themselves concerning the three men: the three had their eardrums and tongues surgically removed. They were deliberately made deaf and mute. They refused to communicate with interrogators in any way...

Part 29:

Hayes: C'mon guys, fight it!!! This isn't real. The moment you put your helmets on, aboard the helicopter; the program started. It's like a video game. C'mon guys we've got to get going to Rose. We've got to get to the weapons before they do!

The Team looked at one another and then at Hayes...

Hayes: Lincoln, c'mon; you're unstoppable. Hastings, check everyone's pulses; they are what you find when they would be asleep! Platte, check the onboard systems; something is draining their effeciency-its like a virus! Chadron, you were right; keep talking. Some of you have family up that way!

The Team began doing what Hayes had urged them to do...

[The players, remembering I'm the biggest trickster in the world; all asked to make a bunch of rolls-something that I had quit doing the previous session. Several players wanted to use things like Danger Sense and Luck etc]

Chadron tore off his helmet and saw everyone else slumped over in their seats. Meanwhile, both Hastings and Platte saw huge defiencies in the areas they were instructed to check, then alerted the others to their findings.

Ainsworth, Niobrara and Omaha-all of whom had Resistance were allowed to yank off their helmets as well. Niobrara took a huge risk in taking the helmets off of the others whom were still passed out. Save-Keya Paha, whom seemed to be in some sort of meditative trance.

Support crew began pulling the Team members out and began rousing them back to consciousness. They suffered from fatigue and stiffness akin to what someone might get from sitting in one spot, playing a video game for the last four hours...

Command: Other units and our auxilliaries have established a perimeter around the crash site. However, if you guys are up to it; I want my best on scene as soon as possible. I want to get there before the Feds do.

Lincoln: I am up for it. Just tell me who's with me?

The entire Team was more than ready to go and began getting aboard a new helicopter.

Hastings: I hope this one isn't cursed too. 'Snakes on a Plane?' How about some funky @$$ weird $#!t on a helicopter!!!

The Team burst out in laughter...

Platte: Can I stay and start picking apart that helicopter? He asked Lincoln.

Scottsbluff: Good idea, seconded.

Ashland, Bellevue & Columbus: (in unison) Thirded!

Niobrara: Oh Dear Lord! I'm rolling with a bunch of geeks!!!

Keya Paha: Hey! We'll see just how many you tally in the coming days!

Chadron: Count me in on that. I want to boom-boom the brainiac that installed that virtual reality program.

Ainsworth: I like the idea of keeping a tally...a little healthy competition won't hurt us at all.

Hastings: What, no fourthed?!?

Lincoln: Everyone's going. Just make sure you're shots are on the mark, I don't want a bunch of civilians killed just because you guys are trying to outgun one another. Take your killing seriously.

The laughing stopped. Something in Lincoln's voice was half a scolding from a parent and was half totally serious instructor in A.I.T.

In flight towards Rose, Nebraska...

Command: Team, you'll be pleased to know that we've caught the saboteur. He was a contractor working on the base. The investigation has only begun, but he's a real talker...an egomaniac for sure. He claims that he has ties to radicals in the M.E.

Lincoln: Good. How far out are the Feds?

Command: They're refueling over Iowa as we speak. They plan to drop in their response via parachute.

Ashland: M.E.?

Hayes: The Middle East. Go figure.

Hastings: I wish our troubles were more original, you know; like weird monsters straight out of some H.P. Lovecraft novel...

The Team laughed.

Keya Paha: You've got to admit, that was an unsual distraction.

Niobrara: Yeah, but who knew that there would be a crash and that we were going to respond too?

Scottsbluff: In that particular helicopter no less?!

Omaha: The antagonists seem to know what they are doing or they are just getting really, really lucky.

Chadron: Probably a little bit of both.

Ainsworth: Don't forget laziness of friendlies either. Someone has a lot of explaining to do.

Platte: I can't wait to pick that other helicopter apart! Atleast my headache is gone.

The Team: (in unison) Mine too!!!

Scottsbluff: We'll be there in three-zero minutes.

Lincoln: Everyone check your gear. Remember, make your shots count-if any unfriendlies show up.

The entire Team was dropped off some four hundred yards away from the B-52 debris field. The Team was excited about the prospect of engaging a challenge or threat. However, none existed. Everyone scanned the area with whatever equipment they had with them, but no one saw anything.

Lincoln: Platte, are you picking up anything?

Platte: Positive for Rads.

Hayes: I was told that 6 bombs were onboard. Let's spread out more and start looking.

Platte: Remember, no one touch anything.

Keya Paha: This is too simple. OUCH!!! Niobrara pinched Keya Paha. What'd'ya do that for?

Niobrara: Just to show that you are not dreaming! HEY!!! Ashland spanked Niobrara. An excellent example of why you should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Niobrara got a punch in the arm for his sarcasm.

Lincoln: Stop flirting and keep your minds on the matter at hand. Lincoln growled.

Hayes: (to Lincoln) Go easy, you were 23 years old once-too!

Hastings: What was the Stone Age like anyways?

The Team laughed a bit until Lincoln gave each 'the eye'.

Chadron: (to Ainsworth) I bet he made his drill sergeant cry!

Ainsworth: (to Chadron) Man, I just hope I don't let him down; I'd rather die peacefully, in my sleep-at some ripe old age!

The Team established a tighter security perimeter and was able to account for all 6 bombs. The Feds, as usual; acted like they PLANNED the whole screw up and it was business as usual.

The Team was eager to return and begin working on the Saboteur's Case...

Part 30:

An interview room, in Eagle, Nebraska...

Hayes: Would you care to speak to us about your act of sabotage?

The Saboteur: I wish I could. (The Saboteur starts looking around.) I said: I wish I could!!! (Lets out a sigh of failure.)

Hayes: Who are you talking to?

The Saboteur: Mr. Babylon. I said, Mr. Babylon!!! (The Saboteur continues to look around.)

Keya Paha: Are you ok or is this some sort of joke? Do you expect us to fall for the whole 'I am crazy' routine?

The Saboteur: (crying) I am not crazy. You wouldn't believe me because I can't make him appear and prove that he exists. And only he can explain everything!!!

Keya Paha: OK...tell us more about 'Mr. Babylon'...

The Saboteur: I can't. All I know about him, is what I just said; I can't remember anything else. I know him, but can't remember anything about him at the moment. He's using his powers on me!

Hayes: Did he help you or make you make the Virtual Reality Technology virus?

The Saboteur: I wished that I could test it out and he fulfilled the wish. That's all I can remember...why did I mess around with scroll? (crying some more.)

Hayes: What scroll?

The Saboteur: It's in my locker...(crying and pointing towards the employee locker room.)

Moments later, Niobrara returned to the interview room with what appeared to be an old scroll. At the urging of everyone within the area, he didn't open it.

The Saboteur passed out with fear. Hastings checked him out and said he would be fine...at least physically.

Hastings: He'll be fine unless this Aladdin's Genie sort of character Mr. Babylon appears to be is actually the Boogey Man or some other terrible fantasy and kills him with fright.

Platte: Well, if Mr. Babylon really is a genie...

Niobrara: Hastings will have some competition if he's anything like Robin Williams.

Ainsworth: Look at Lincoln and tell me that your joking around is helping.

Everyone looked at Lincoln and the smiles disappeared.

Hastings: Even the Saboteur is frightened and he's passed out!!!.

That joke made everyone laugh...just a little.

Hayes: He can't be telling us the truth. C'mon guys, you just went through several hours in an alternate reality-you should be experts on BS by now!

Keya Paha: There's always that 'What if?' factor in everything that happens.

Chadron: Or he's simply delaying us in our effort to find out who might have wanted those nukes.

Dodge: We still don't know if our situation and that one are related.

Platte: The Saboteur didn't know whether or not we had the nukes back. Why would he continue on with the act, if it was one.

Hayes: I think the two situations are completely unrelated except for the fact that they happened at the same time.

Keya Paha: I agree. I say we go at this from a different perspective: someone took the time to hinder our operations. Let's find out who and why.

Everyone agreed. The Saboteur was a problem that still needed to be solved-no matter how crazy the prospect seemed.

The Team examined the scroll. No one touched it directly with their hands. No one read it. No one commented on it. Everyone was told to think about something mundane and unrelated. Despite the enormous amount of doubt about the Saboteur's story, the Team treated the Scroll as a dangerous, mysterious item.

After the Team examined the scroll for a while, they left the room to discuss it. Three facts about it immediately sprung into the discussion.

1. The scroll was covered with Arabic writing.

2. The scroll was made of leather and appeared to be very time worn.

3. The scroll was written with ink and it appeared to be quite new.

The Team decided that the best way to learn more was to try to use or activate the scroll themselves...since a few of them knew a bit of Arabic, they felt 'confident'...

The Saboteur was sedated and resting comfortably at an appropriate hospital. There was no evidence of illness, injury, stress or trauma that would make an otherwise healthy 25 year old man act in the ways that he had been over the course of this situation. Psychiatrists and other experts combed through his life and could not find anything to help them answer their many questions. The Saboteur, however was a gifted individual.

The Saboteur finished high school by the age of 13. He earned several college degrees by the age of 18 when he joined the Nebraska Air National Guard. The Saboteur's life was all about gadgets, research, technology and writing. The Saboteur was a millionaire simply due to the consulting work he had done and the subsequent patents that were in his name.

The Saboteur had the intellectual capacity and the drive to make the Virtual Reality Technology himself, but not in the present. Perhaps, in 15 to 20 years most experts agreed. Though, those very same experts were nowhere close to being in the Saboteur's 'league'-they openly admitted. They were, in effect; both baffled and humbled. There was also a hint of admiration, maybe even jealousy in their tone of voice.

The Team pondered the prospect that the Saboteur's story about 'Mr. Babylon' was rooted in some sort of dark, twisted truth...

Part 31:

It was 3 am. Everyone on the Team was drawn back to headquarters. Everyone talked about feeling like they were nudged awake and how each found a note on their bathroom mirror. It was written in Arabic. Those that couldn't interpret it, copied it down. Those that could, were very curious. The note read:

'A computer holds me, scroll to the correct icon and you'll see! The leather scroll is a spell, use it wisely or things will not end well~Mr. Babylon'.

Needless to say, the Team was amused, eager and very, very suspicious.

Lincoln: Anyone think this is the 'real' deal?

Hayes: I'm curious, but skeptical.

'As am I!' Chadron, Hayes, Keya Paha, Niobrara and Platte exclaimed in unison.

Lincoln: Platte, check it out.

Platte: Well, the only icon-that I can see; that seems to be related to the message is the one shaped like a scimitar.

Keya Paha: What about the leather scroll?

Lincoln didn't answer him...

Lincoln: Double-click the scimitar and see what happens.

Platte double clicked the icon and a face appeared on the screen. The face was that of an Arab man...

The Arab: I am Babylon! Your wish is my command! You have three, use them wisely.

The entire Team laughed...and paused to think...

A player made a very rash and independent decision...he read the leather scroll!!!

Keya Paha began examining the leather scroll...

Keya Paha: 'I can be bound-in this leather scroll you have found, my spirit shall be enslaved as you dare-fold, only to be set free by he who is bold, all one must say is-I dare not wish for anything today'

The Team looked at Keya Paha with absolute horror and shock.

Hayes: Dear Lord! I guess we'll see what's what!!!

Mr. Babylon's image as well as the scimitar icon disappeared from the screen of the computer. Meanwhile, the leather scroll folded; then rolled up into a tube shape. Thereafter, something even more strange and unexpected began.

The room began filling up with treasure. Precious metals such as gold and silver. Precious stones such as diamonds and rubies. Art such as pictures and sculptures. Ornate weapons such as spears and swords. Fancy and impressive suits of armor. Jewelry befit of a King or Queen. Tapestries that covered the walls and beyond. The floor was flooded with coins of all sorts and was easily three feet deep within a matter of seconds. It was as if the contents of a museum and treasury simply appeared in the room that the Team was standing in.

Hayes: (laughing) I don't know if magic exists, but if it did; I suppose it'd do something like this.

Hastings: I prefer a blond holding a six pack of beer and asking me if I wanted to have some fun...but, yeah; ok.

Everyone began laughing as they began digging and sliding their hands through the layers of coins.

Keya Paha: Um, sorry guys. I simply couldn't resist. My curiosity got the best of me...and well, I am speechless.

Ainsworth: Hell, even Lincoln is speechless.

Lincoln: (holding a sword) Yep, it's real and I like it. Everyone began grabbing something and checking it over. Everything in the room appeared to be real.

At this point the players began looking at me and began to wonder what exactly was going on. I didn't give them any clues...I told them to discuss it for awhile....

A couple of comments from the players can help summarize things up to this point:

Player 1: 'I think all of this has been about granting a genie asylum and he brought all of his belongings with him'.

Player 2: 'Someone wanted those nukes and I think the stories are related, if I know how Pete's very strange mind works'.

Player 3: 'I think the answer lies with The Saboteur. Where did he get the leather scroll?'

Player 4: 'We were distracted for awhile, but not stopped. I think our characters have been tested by Mr. Babylon-he/it wanted to know if he could trust us, for some reason. The Saboteur couldn't protect all of the treasure by himself, Mr. Babylon had to find someone who could: our characters.'

Player 5: 'Perhaps we should find out -who- had Mr. Babylon before the Saboteur?'

The players agreed to begin renewed questioning of The Saboteur and find out what the connection between Mr. Babylon and the Nukes really was...etcetera...

Part 32:

On the highway between the Calamus Reservoir and Rose, Nebraska. A group of old friends followed an object.....

Galen: Finally, after 25 years; we're finally going to be an audience to an awesome story.

Lance: I don't know, I've heard some pretty good tall-tales everytime we've met.

Anthony: This PI is filming it, I suggest you do the same.

Peter: I'm just making sure that I don't put the car in the ditch gawking!

Daniel: I can't pick up a single radio station. There's no phone service at all. I can't even get anything on my lap top.

Jeffrey: We're in the middle of nowhere, what did you expect. Just in case. (Began handing out loaded handguns.)

The six followed the object for 12 miles. The object arrived at a location just outside of Rose and landed. The SUV's engine died. The six discussed it and decided to set out on foot towards the object that just landed.

Upon reaching the top of a hill, they saw something quite bizarre and unexpected......

The object that landed was a smaller version of something larger already there. An unusual, spherical object floated out of the smaller object and joined three others just like it. The four were doing something to 9 unconscious men dressed in paramilitary outfits. The 9 men appeared to have arrived in a helicopter and a humvee. The side of the larger object was being used like a screen, akin to those used in old outdoor theatres. On that screen was a amalgam of odd-almost insane images. The images appeared to be coming directly from the 9 men. The four spherical objects appeared to be causing or creating those images in some way.

The six friends were busy recording what was going on. Not a word was being said between them as the situation at hand had their entire attention. Four loud bangs snapped them out of their trance like state. The bangs were most definitely the reports of firearms. Judging by the damage, the firearms were a very high caliber. The four spherical objects fell to the ground. They were behaving in a very unexpected way: they appeared to be bleeding and screaming. A green fluid was gushing out of their wounds. A high pitched wail was emitting from a large opening. The six were startled and quickly layed as low to the ground as possible. They witnessed numerous people, also dressed in paramilitary attire; swarm the area.....

The six friends crawled away from the scene, stood up and began running as far away as possible. They had to stop to talk...

Anthony: I go it all...all on film! And...what's this?

Jeffrey: It's as if you were recording what was on the side of that object.

Anthony: I've got four hours of film on here that I didn't have before.

Peter: Let's get back to the SUV and get the hell out of here. This place might be swarming with all sorts of secret agent type men any moment.

Galen: US Government vs Aliens! That was cool!

Daniel: Do we put our video on youtube?

Lance: Ohhh! Good idea! We might be asked to...

Peter: Crap! Get down!!! Someone is digging through our vehicle...

The six friends watched as a group of those paramilitary types searched, then towed their SUV. The six friends discussed it and opted to hike back towards their campsite at the Calamus River Reservoir. They assumed they would make it.....they hoped.

The campaign now has two groups of players, in cased you didn't notice. :cool:

Part 33:

Galen: OK, now I am sure of it. We're being followed, but I can't see anyone.

Lance: I thought I was just being paranoid, but yeah; I've felt the same way for the past hour.

Anthony: (puts on a pair of night vision goggles.) I am seeing a lone figure about 100 yards back and LOOK OUT!!!

A flash of light, akin to a camera flash; dashed in between and past the friends. They quickly trailed it with their heads. The flash of light suddenly became a human-like being. Out of habit, everyone drew their weapons; though no one knew if they would have any effect. The figure spoke...

The Figure: (chuckling and smiling) What is this 'youtube' you've spoke of?

Peter: You've been eavesdropping...who are you?

The Figure: You may call me...hmmm...I don't who I want to be today...lemme think abou it...OK? The Figure took off just as it arrived. However, they shot towards the night sky. It could have been mistaken for lightning.

Anthony: Excellent! I caught that on tape as well.

Jeffrey: Does it look believable? Or, well; like it was made in the fifties?

Anthony: Even CGI couldn't do this...not even close!

Galen: I think he...she...it is coming back...

The six started running. At first their flight was motivated by fear and panic. As they ran further, they began laughing. The kind of laughter where disbelief had started to set in.

Galen: Why are we running? That was pretty darn cool.

Lance: Yeah, wasn't that a good example of why we're out here?

Peter: OK, let's stop...look around...drink some water and hope that we've merely set foot on some episode of Punked...

Anthony: (pointing to the south...they way they were headed) Our friend has returned, it would seem and...he's not alone.

Jeffrey: 1, 2, 3,....7, 8, 9,....13, 14, 15...ok...we're outnumbered.

Daniel: Well, so far; we're still alive. Right?

The group of friends were surrounded by the group of strange figures. As the figures approached, they shifted in form from something ghost-like; to something more like a human being. As if they were trying to approach the friends in a more acceptable, less flamboyant style-unlike their last approach...it still unnerved the friends...

Daniel: We're still trying to get to our campsite right?

Peter: Yep. When I say 'run', everyone follow me and try to keep up. I'll try to remember that some of you can't run the mile in under 10 minutes anymore.

Everyone laughed. When they did, all of the strange figures laughed along. The former's laugh was, well; human. Whereas the latter's, was-well; more melodic, but haunting nonetheless.

The six started to run again....

Peter: We're not on an episode of Punked...it's more like were on the set of The Dark Crystal or Labrynth...

Galen: It's like we're running through a book illustrated by Brian Fround...this is soooo cool!!!

Anthony: I am going to try to film it, but I am shaking too dang much from running...

Daniel: I say we start walking...and just go with the flow.

Lance: Seconded. I think we should try to talk to one.

Jeffrey: Thirded...and I agree. Why not?

The friends stopped running. They paused by a creek. They found an area that would have made an excellent campsite. It had logs around an obvious firepit.

I asked each player-in just a word, what they were thinking. Two wrote 'campsite', two wrote 'conversation' and two wrote 'faeries!'....

In a blink of an eye, the six had their belongings right at their feet. In addition, a roaring fire was working in the firepit. Lastly, the strange figures became what the six had thought they were.

Peter: everyone introduce yourself...

Everyone did and were quite surprised by the response...

Part 34:

The Faeries spoke to the six...

The Gold Faerie: There's the good, there's the bad and there's the ugly.

The Silver Faerie: The good are curious and seek answers for their own sake.

The Purple Faerie: The bad are curious and seek answers to own.

The Blue Faerie: The ugly are curious and seek answers to do harm.

Peter: We're good guys. I'm pretty sure about that.

Galen: Putting the tape on Youtube might make them think otherwise.

Lance: Unless we want trouble, like those paramilitary types; we'd better hand over the footage...I'm guessing.

All of the six's recording devices were removed from their person and cast into the fire.

Anthony: I take it we're not going to talk about this? People are going to want proof.

Daniel: I guess they are going to have look for it and find it on their own.

Jeffrey: Unless the Faeries have an idea, they seem to be manipulating us in a particular direction.

The Green Faerie: This perfect boulder will surely inspire some curiosity. (At that moment, a large boulder-perhaps 20 feet high; appeared near the campsite.)

The Red Faerie: And for the troubles that you might find ahead...

At the feet of each of the six, appeared a sword.

After, the Faeries disappeared.

Peter: That was cool! The others agreed.

Peter: As is that! He exclaimed as he pointed. The others looked and there was their SUV.

The six picked up their swords, got into the SUV and drove off...

Acting on a hunch, Peter called Lincoln. The former knew that the latter had to be aware of what was going on outside of Rose, Nebraska. The pair agreed to meet. Peter, Daniel, Jeffrey, Galen, Lance and Anthony met with Lincoln and his Team several days later. All were acquainted, if not friends; since their days at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Everyone shared their story, what they knew or could remember; over drinks and fine food. The strange tales were nothing new, except; now they were not only able to talk about their secrets-but also were willing to believe that the stories may be somewhere near the truth. However, what was more clear than anything else was that the former was not harmed like the latter. Peter's group knew exactly why...The Faeries had already revealed that!

Three things emerged that made their common bond and story even more provocative:

~A boulder was left at the locations near Rose where the two encounters occurred.

~Each person involved received a sword.

~Each person had a bond with their sword that made the situation even more strange and even harder to understand*.

*At this point, I took each player aside and revealed the extraordinary quality of their sword: it had a personality of its own! It had the ability to communicate-via telepathy. It had intelligence. It had various characteristics, perks, talents, powers, skills etc. The swords also had a purpose. The characters they were playing had to make EGO checks in order to accept, understand and use their swords. Some characters had a difficult time whereas others simply couldn't do it....Those characters that succeeded in the checks 'bonded' with their sword and were given the character sheet of their sword. They were then asked to come up with questions about their sword. Those questions and the answers were emailed back-n-forth between sessions.

Peter: The Magi are the 'good guys' and the Low Void are the 'bad guys', is that what you've concluded too?

Lincoln: Yeah. Though, what the Faeries said sounds like a contradiction.

Galen: Not really. Whether it's high-tech or magic, they're synonymous. Humanity has the highest potential of advancing it. The Magi want to be our ally, the Low Void want to dominate us.

Keya Paha: It does have an Arthur C. Clarke theme to it. There's that word again-'Arthur'.

Peter: Lincoln, I believe that the Faeries were a manifestation of pure imagination. Imagination has its good, bad and ugly.

Lincoln: That part I understand. It's the swords I am still trying to accept. Sure, mine and I can communicate; but really-why choose a tool of violence to represent something ostensibly peaceful?

Galen: The Low Void, unfortunately; must be dealt with on terms they understand. Quietly, without the thirst for attention or glory. The sword has always been a symbol of defiance to the Low Void.

Keya Paha: The swords we've received not only give us something in common-a bond, but also mark us as clear rivals to the Low Void.

Peter: Humanity isn't the only sentient species-it'd be absolute arrogance to think otherwise. However, we're not inferior or superior in any way-except in our ability to imagine and create. We've got to do defend that in all times!!!

Hastings: Based on the tests we've run, our assailants were quite interested in our bodies...no, not like that; but rather much like we as humans are interested in plants.

Anthony: Food? Entertainment? Medicine?

Niobrara: Probably all three or more. Since they've abducted many, many people up to this point-they're probably interested in us for all sorts of things.

Daniel: I think we need to do something about it, no doubt about it.

Platte: Agreed, but they hooked us and read our thoughts; they're clearly trying to determine out threat potential.

Lance: However, after pooling our knowledge; we know a lot more about what is going on than they ever anticipated.

Lincoln: I am more than prepared to take the fight to them after what they did to us, but we have to be careful to not get caught up in this Eternal Struggle thing going on between the Magi and the Low Void.

Peter: Agreed. We must make sure that Nebraska doesn't become the new battleground, nor do we suffer any foolish losses.