Hero Goes to the Movies (or TV Shows)!

Sketchpad

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero Goes to the Movies (or TV Shows)!

Sure' date=' I'm just not sure how to do that. I submitted the Duncan MacLeod to The Great Net Book of Real Heroes years ago.

If you have a Hero Designer file, send me a copy. If not, send me an rtf or doc file of the character sheet. I'll turn it into html and put it up on the website.

Shouldn't Denny Crane have "PS: Fly Fishing" either in addition to or rather than "KS: Fly Fishing"? Remember PS is doing, KS is knowing. And off-hand, while we have seen Denny fly fish, I don't really remember him displaying a "knowledge" of it to any great degree.

Shouldn't Denny Crane have "PS: Fly Fishing" either in addition to or rather than "KS: Fly Fishing"? Remember PS is doing' date=' KS is knowing. And off-hand, while we have seen Denny fly fish, I don't really remember him displaying a "knowledge" of it to any great degree.[/quote']

He had to teach Alan how to fly fish, so he must have knowledge about it, because Alan was immediately better at it that Denny was :)

• 1 month later...

From Planet Terror, the incomporable Cherry Darling.

planet-terror-rose-mcgowan.jpg

CHERRY DARLING

Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes
13	STR	3	12-	Lift 151.6kg; 2 ½d6 [3]
14	DEX	12	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
15	CON	10	12-
10	BODY	0	11-
12	INT	2	11-	PER Roll 11-
13	EGO	6	12-	ECV:  4
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
18	COM	4	13-

6	PD	3		Total:  6 PD (0 rPD)
4	ED	1		Total:  4 ED (0 rED)
3	SPD	6		Phases:  4, 8, 12
6	REC	0
30	END	0
25	STUN	0	Total Characteristic Cost:  52

Movement:	Running:	4"/8"
              Leaping:	      2"/4"
              Swimming:	    2"/4"

Cost	Powers	END
-4	One Good Leg:  -2" Running (-4 Active Points)

10	Self-Launch:  Leaping 16" (Accurate) (21 Active Points); Linked (Grenade Launcher; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -¾), no Noncombat movement (-¼)	2

15	Stupid Grenade Tricks:  Personal Immunity (+¼) for up to 60 Active Points of Grenade Launcher (RKA EX), GM's Discretion (+0) (15 Active Points)	1

60	Leg Rifle:  Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (90 Active Points); all slots OIF (-½)
3u	1)  Assault Rifle:  RKA 2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +½) (45 Active Points); OIF (-½), Beam (-¼)
4u	2)  Grenade Launcher:  RKA 2 ½d6, Explosion (+½) (60 Active Points); OIF (-½)
1u	3)  Bayonet:  HKA 1d6-1 (1d6+1 w/STR) (10 Active Points); OIF (-½)

0	Minigun Option:  
	Notes:  81  Leg Minigun:  RKA 2D6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Autofire (20shots; +1 ½) (122 Active Points); OIF (-½) 

Perks
6	Contact:  El Wray (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact is slavishly loyal to character) 11-

Talents
12	Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Skills
3	Acrobatics 12-
3	Acting 12-
5	Accurate Sprayfire
5	Deadly Sprayfire (or Concentrated Sprayfire)
3	Breakfall 12-
3	Fast Draw (Rifles) 12-
3	Fast Draw (Grenades) 12-
6	Useless Talent #12:  PS: Erotic Dancer (DEX-Based) 15-
3	PS: Stand-Up Comedy (PRE-Based) 12-
5	Rapid Attack (Ranged) 
7	Seduction 14-
3	Stealth 12-
3	Streetwise 12-
3	Useless Talent #32:TF:  Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles
3	WF:  Small Arms, Grenade Launchers
6	+1 with HTH and Ranged Combat
8	Useless Talent #66:  +2 DCV with Ranged Combat
9	+3 with Leg Rifle

Total Powers & Skill Cost:  188
Total Cost:  240

75+	Disadvantages
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima
15	Distinctive Features:  Rifle for a Leg  (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15	Hunted:  Zombies 11- (Mo Pow, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)
5	Physical Limitation:  One Leg (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Loves El Wray (Common, Strong)
	Notes:  OR DNPC: Infant Child 8- (Incompetent)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Fiercely Independent (Common, Strong)
	Notes:  OR Psychological Limitation: Sense of responsibility for other survivors (Common, Strong) 
10	Reputation:  Sad and Distant Dancer, 11-
	Notes:  Can be dropped for leg minigun version
90	Useless Talent Bonus

Total Disadvantage Points:  240

Background/History: Cherry Darling is the lead female character in Robert Rodriguez's film, Planet Terror. When the film begins she is working as a Go-Go dancer in a nameless Texas town. She has the ability to maintain the rapt attention of any red-blooded man in the audience, but she often ends her performances in tears. She decides to leave that life behind, and is tying to make her way out of town when things go horribly wrong. Without giving away the plot of the film, let's just say that flesh-eating zombies are set loose on the unsuspecting citizenry and chaos ensues. During the course of the film, Cherry looses one of her legs to the zombies and it is replaced by a fully functional M16 with an attached M203 40mm grenade launcher. She then proceeds to kick ass throughout the remainder of the movie.

All we really know about her character's past is that she once wanted to be a doctor, and apparently had the smarts to do so, but was sidetracked by life. She has also had a past romantic relationship with El Wray, a mysterious martial artist/gunfighter/tow truck operator. Once they meet again, it becomes very clear that they both still have strong feelings for each other. She had a lot of life experience, and as a result she has accumulated a variety of what she calls useless talents. A running gag in the films is that many of these talents actually come in handy when the fighting hordes of zombies, saving her life on a couple of occasions. However, the backstory is not the main point of this character. Think about it. She's a stripper with an M203 for a leg.

Personality/Motivation: Cherry is one tough chick. She is street smart, hard-edged, and she does not take crap from anyone. She has a softer side as well, which comes out when she thinks about the way her life could have gone, but she isn't prone to excessive navel-gazing when action is required. Though she loses a leg and has the world's least attractive prosthetic installed in its place, she wastes very little time feeling sorry for herself. Once she commits to combat, she is fearless.

However, she also has a very subtle, wry sense of humor. She enjoys telling jokes, and at one point planned to become a stand-up comic.

Quote: "It's Go-Go, not cry-cry."

Powers/Tactics: Cherry is an athletic woman with a dancer's body. She is also a walking, talking weapons platform. Because this is a movie, we will not dwell upon the innate awkwardness of the mount and the more boring details of the dubious practicality of her unlikely limb (see below). It just looks cool when she uses it. She will often open up with a launched grenade and then move into a position where her autofire skills can come into play. She is very agile, and will often use unconventional tactics cribbed from her erotic dance routine to evade ranged attacks. There is also a bayonet mounted on the side of the rifle. Though it was not used in the film, it is visible in her photo.

I chose to build her leg rifle as part of her character, not a piece of equipment. I made it an obvious focus, but not an accessible one. I figure that she would have to be incapacitated for it to be removed, as it is sturdily attached to her body. The dramatic needs of the story would have to determine if and when it would be returned or replaced. In fact, by the end of the film she gets a sweet upgrade. I used the basic model of the M16 and a 40mm fragmentation grenade from Dark Champions to build it. Because of the wildly cinematic way it works on screen, I took some liberties. I did not use the principle of grenade launchers having STR to determine range of the 40mm rounds. She is never shown having to reload either weapon, so I left off the real weapon limitation and built everything as 0 END powers. Cherry has the ability to launch herself into the air by firing a grenade into the ground. She is also shown using them at almost point blank range and not suffering from shrapnel herself. To this end, I gave her a personal Immunity based super skill to represent these stunts. If you are running a game where everyone can do this type of thing, you could easily leave this off.

NOTE: If you don't have a copy of The Ultimate Skill, substitute Concentrated Sprayfire for Deadly Sprayfire.

OPTION: As noted above, Cherry replaces the M203 with a minigun at the very end of the film. After eliminating the multipower, Self-Launch and Stupid Grenade Tricks to reflect the change and buying the minigun, there are 12 points left over. First, I would buy off the 10 point Reputation disadvantage. Then I would turn the three 3-point levels with Leg Rifle and the remaining two points into five 2-point levels with minigun. You would probably need those levels with 20 shots flying around. Make a few more changes to her disadvantages as noted and sell back her contact, and I think you have a decent approximation of the character at the end of the film. There's even a few points left over after buying familiarity with machine guns and horses. Call it a "radiation accident."

Campaign Use: A great NPC for an over the top Dark Champs game.

Appearance: A beautiful woman with an assault rifle for a leg. You really don't see that too often. Rose McGowan plays the role with all the hotness of a thousand exploding suns. I dare you not to watch the dance she does over the opening credits just once. If you say you were able to, I say you're a liar.

Any glaring problems before I post Cherry's HD file? Any assistance is appreciated as always.

Looks very good; repped. :)

I have some quibbles, but then another GM always will.

1) Real Weapon in no way belongs on her sheet, anywhere. Her weapon system is as cinematic as they come. OIF covers what might go wrong with it well enough, imo and all that.

2) El Wray is dead by the end of the movie; GMs using her might want to decide if they still want him on the sheet, as contact or psych limit. Maybe swap out Elray for "Male PC".

3) She doesn't really seem to be hunted by Zombies any more than anyone else in that world. I wouldn't list it in her disads, or if I did, I might make it 8- at most.

4) Her reputation seems out of place. Before the film, only those who knew her, knew her. After the film, she has a reputation as "Resistance Leader with Gun Leg". Also, a Psych Limit: Protects the Innocent, and a DNPC: Daughter, are probably appropriate at that point. Maybe a note in the comments section on how to do the pre- and post- Zombie War versions of her character?

I'd also consider making her weapon(s) 0 END. She never reloaded or even ran out of rounds. Oh, and there's a knife on the gun, you forgot that. :D

Option -- include the minigun leg for the end of the movie.

Looks very good; repped. :)

I have some quibbles, but then another GM always will.

1) Real Weapon in no way belongs on her sheet, anywhere. Her weapon system is as cinematic as they come. OIF covers what might go wrong with it well enough, imo and all that.

Yep. I have bounced back and forth on that so many times that I will actually change it. Thanks. The more I think of it, the 0 END powers approach is truer to the film. I just thought it wouldn't fit in a Dark Champions setting, so I've decided against it.

2) El Wray is dead by the end of the movie; GMs using her might want to decide if they still want him on the sheet, as contact or psych limit. Maybe swap out Elray for "Male PC".

Six of this half a dozen of the other, IMO. I was actually going to do up El Wray, but he was not nearly as interesting so...

3) She doesn't really seem to be hunted by Zombies any more than anyone else in that world. I wouldn't list it in her disads, or if I did, I might make it 8- at most.

Yeah, maybe I'll split the difference at 11-

EDIT: Sorry, it was 11-. I think I'll leave that.

4) Her reputation seems out of place. Before the film, only those who knew her, knew her. After the film, she has a reputation as "Resistance Leader with Gun Leg". Also, a Psych Limit: Protects the Innocent, and a DNPC: Daughter, are probably appropriate at that point. Maybe a note in the comments section on how to do the pre- and post- Zombie War versions of her character?

That's a good point. Again, I was kind of thinking of doing El Wray, so that they could be used together, but in the end she is just more fun. That would have required me to ignore the end of the film. Let me think about it. The post Zombie War version has a totally different weapon as well.

It's good to this kind of feedback.

I'd also consider making her weapon(s) 0 END. She never reloaded or even ran out of rounds. Oh, and there's a knife on the gun, you forgot that. :D

Option -- include the minigun leg for the end of the movie.

You are right. I only just saw the knife on the photo. I never saw it used, so I initially missed it. Thanks.

EDIT: OK. I'm happy with it. Thanks, Susano and Oddhat. You guys rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Susano's excellent site. A version of Remo Williams is posted there. Here is the link:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/remo.html

What he said. :D

Yup. That's one of mine. :)

A note on that write up and the 1.000 + point version: Remo grew a lot over thirty + years. The posted version covers everything from about books 1-6 or so, when Sapier was still part of the writing team and the comedy / wuxia aspects of the stories were being kept more or less in check. As the years go on, Remo gets to the point of out-racing cars, running on water, ripping tanks apart, etc. To simulate that stage, the most point efficient approach is probably a VPP for Martial Arts and Super Skills, and a high Find Weakness. A lot of Combat Luck is also a good bet.

Finally, the later Remo (book 80+) has a triggered Multiform to Shiva the Destroyer, who is himself a 1000+ point character.