Query's Art & Stuff Thread

Querysphinx

Why am I starting my own thread? I have a lot of art and, well, stuff, and I figure I might as well put it all in one place.

I'll start off with my namesake character, Query? Strange name for a superhero, right? She's called Query because she only speaks in questions. She has learned the art of rhetorical questions, but it still drives people nuts the first few times they talk to her.

Query is a sphinx. Or rather she is the essence of a sphinx bound up in The Codex of Mysteries, a magic book that purported contains the complete history of the universe in all of it's possible forms. The bound sphinx lends her power to human detective Felicia Booking, who transformed into a winged cat girl and gains powers of omniscience... sort of. She knows everything there is to know, but her mortal brain can't handle the infinite possibilities all at once, so she knows everything... one thing at a time.

Tag line: "What if the answer is not as important as how you phrase the question?"

QueryCP2.jpg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Query's Art & Stuff Thread

NightfallCP.jpg

This is my wife's current PC, Nightfall, from my "Sparks Fly" campaign. She conjures shadowbats which are psychically impregnated with the emotion FEAR.

Both this piece and the Query piece above were done in colored pencil on card stock. It's not my favorite medium, but the only one I really have time for these days.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Hybrid, another one of those characters I'm never going to get to play. It's amazing how much of my artwork ends up stowed in a filing cabinet in my basement.

This one is done in Acrylics, my favorite medium, but one I rarely have time for any more. It's one of the few painting I've done that I remain really happy with even years after the fact.

HybridCEW.JPG

Hmmm... well... very neat! Keep 'em coming! :D

Query, the cat-girl with owl wings is certainly interesting. Actually, I like that one best as it seems to show proportion and such better than the rest in my mind, but then again, I'm not an artist or really understand how that all works, but it looks best. Hybrid is certainly neat, but I still like Query best. =) And, for whatever reason, I've always liked pencil work.

The local radio station played a three pack of "Run Through the Jungle", "Jungle Love", and "Welcome to the Jungle."

By the time they were done I had this idea in my head wanting out.

JUNGLE

Jungle50.jpg

Colored Pencil Sketch. For some reason colored pencils don't scan really well. Even after turning off the sharpening feature and setting the scanner to descreen it still looks grainy.

I like your art. :D

I remember seeing you post something elsewhere where you mentioned that you play a character who only ever speaks in question, and it inspired me to create an entire race of beings who do the same, one of whom I hope I get the chance to play some time....so thanks for being my muse! :)

The local radio station played a three pack of "Run Through the Jungle", "Jungle Love", and "Welcome to the Jungle."

By the time they were done I had this idea in my head wanting out.

JUNGLE

Jungle50.jpg

Colored Pencil Sketch. For some reason colored pencils don't scan really well. Even after turning off the sharpening feature and setting the scanner to descreen it still looks grainy.

Looks great, but I would really like to meet her in the fall.

If you know what I mean. Nice Dress.

QM

Great pictures.

Query is a great concept and the picture captures the idea behind her (she looks like she is waiting for an answer to a question, but knows the answer already, as a teacher might)

Also the Dryad type looks nice. I noticed her because in CoH i recently rolled a scrapper (spines/invul) that has a plant theme and has leaves for hair and he costume looks like grass.

Jerome

PS rep

Here's another painting I did for somebody on a mush about 10 years ago. The character was a mermaid of sorts. Her name was...

Ellie

elliepaint50.jpg

Acryllic on paper, which accounts for the wrinkled texture. I have never ttried to paint on flimsy paper again.

Your Art Style reminds me of Talislanta RPG Art

Talislanta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talislanta

QM

Does it? I'm flattered you think so. I checked out their web site, and they've got some interesting stuff, but my influences were more people like Boris, Frazetta, Giffen, Brom, Masumene Shirow, and Elmore. Not that I'm in their league, but they're the styles I derived mine from.

My brother came to visit for Christmas, so naturally talk turned to Champions. He had just invented a hillbilly were-boar character named Razorback. Weirdly, I had already done a light thumbnail sketch of a very similar concept character also called Razorback, so I whipped out my new colored pencils and turned the thumbnail into a finished character piece.

RAZORBACK

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=270

An NPC from my Sparks Fly campaign. Silkworm is a "smudge", a superhuman who caught the spark but received a detrimental mutation instead of super powers. He is not at happy with being turned into a giant silk-spewing caterpillar.

SILKWORM

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=273

Colored Pencil

So.. out of curiousity.. how'd he react to chrysalis?

He was a relatively ordinary (if somewhat flamboyant) gentleman who got beaten to within an inch of his life by a couple of thugs. He was mostly unconscious when he spun a cocoon around himself and transformed into his current form. He does not know if further changes are in store, and there does not seem to be any way to change back.

His horror at his change has resolved him to a drastic course of action. He intends to lure the same two thugs to kill him and catch it on film.

"I'll get death, and they'll get life."

The PCs are meant to intervene.

Archived