Horror Playtest

Darren Watts

So I've also started the horror playtest, run on occasional Saturdays at Complete Strategist on 33rd St, with Karmakaze and Tomd1969 as two of my players (I think Roland is also on the boards here occasionally, but I'm not sure of his screen name). We have a good mix of investigative PCs so far, with almost no combat abilities (which is good for horror, but not intentional): a psychic with limited control who hates crowds, a hacker conspiracy-theorist, a Kolchakian reporter with a nose for trouble, and a resurrected Civil War-era soldier who killed the necromancer who brought him back to unlife and is now searching to become a Real Boy. We're starting off with a very Unknown Armies-style "Postmodern Magic" horror setup, and two sessions in we've already dug up our first grave, so I consider it a success so far. I'll post here occasionally to let people know how it's going... dw

Re: Horror Playtest

Well Steve,

First clone yourself and then get hopping in writing HH for v5revised...now!!!

Penn:D

In case Darren's answer wasn't enough' date=' let me make clear that I haven't even written so much as a single word of an outline for the author. HH isn't on any schedule at this point. Darren just loves the subject and is getting a jump on things, which is all to the good. :hex:[/quote']

Hello everyone,

Ok for me I enjoy the Horror / Occult side very much and like to use it within

the scope of my games if I can.

Now in my Traveller Hero campaign I am using a "plague" that was like

'Dawn of the Dead' or 'T-Virus from Resident Evil' movies. I am stating that

durring the great Vampire AI attack that infected computer systesm and

basically caused much of the destruction within the 3rd Imperium, that a

extremely leathal Bio Plague was released and spread by the AIs which

created on many worlds a Zombie PAH Hell that spread across space

within the Verge subsector region of the old 3rd Imperium.

So I was wondering if anyone has actually read any of these following

books and could they comment on how much resource material is actually

within them and how useful will they be for ideas and etc to use when

I recreate it using the Hero System in PAH, Traveller Hero, and Fantasy

Hero all combined?

Here are some books I am thinking about using, but I have never actually

sceen the system or read the books. I am looking at getting the core rules

to better understand the whole system, and then get books that add onto

the abilities of players and zombies and settings. Also both source books

for Zombies in Pure fantasy setting, and SciFi setting as well to better get

the flavor of those settings too. Please have a look at the links and advise:

All Flesh Must Be Eaten: Atlas of the Walking Dead

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5049

All Flesh Must Be Eaten: One of the Living - Player's Handbook

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5047

All Flesh Must Be Eaten: Dungeons + Zombies

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13980

All Flesh Must Be Eaten: All Tomorrow's Zombies

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=27976

All Flesh Must be Eaten: Core Rule Book (Revised)

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=41770

I am thinking about getting all above (5) books to get more details on

the Zombie Flesh eating source too. I also intend to go see the

new movie "I am Legend" this friday for more resorce ideas as well too!

Penn

I'm not writing it. I don't know the genre well enough' date=' and have neither the time nor interest to learn it well enough to write HH. We have another potential author lined up.[/quote']

During Darren's chat last week he indicated that the writing would be mostly done by himself and Jason Walters, with perhaps some contributions by other party or parties such as what S. John Ross contributed to Pulp HERO. Is this still the plan, or are you trying to lock down another writer to be the principle author?

Lovecraft would be nice ... but I'd also like some classics, as well as Urban Legends ;) I'd love to see the book carry various campaign models inspired from Lovecraft, Supernatural, Buffy/Angel, Ghosthunters, Ghostbusters, Zombie Goodness (which could expand the PAH setting) and X-Files ... just to name a few ;)

Lovecraft would be nice ... but I'd also like some classics' date=' as well as Urban Legends ;) I'd love to see the book carry various campaign models inspired from Lovecraft, Supernatural, Buffy/Angel, Ghosthunters, Ghostbusters, Zombie Goodness (which could expand the PAH setting) and X-Files ... just to name a few ;)[/quote']

Yeah, those would be good, along with some of the classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, werewolves, and all that).

I just want to make sure there's a Lovecraft section, that's all.

I'm not writing it. I don't know the genre well enough' date=' and have neither the time nor interest to learn it well enough to write HH. We have another potential author lined up.[/quote']

This is why I support stem-cell research and human cloning. Because you, more than most people (except perhaps Yours Truly) need a small army of those little 3 foot clones that are shown on the "multitaskers" commercial.

I don't want a "mini Steve" because, as the Austin Powers movies tell us, the little monster would be mute and irredeemably evil. I prefer the Steve evil not to be concentrated in a two-foot misshapen clone.

This is why I support stem-cell research and human cloning. Because you, more than most people (except perhaps Yours Truly) need a small army of those little 3 foot clones that are shown on the "multitaskers" commercial.

I don't want a "mini Steve" because, as the Austin Powers movies tell us, the little monster would be mute and irredeemably evil. I prefer the Steve evil not to be concentrated in a two-foot misshapen clone.

Keith, you are a deeply weird individual...

I knew I liked you for some reason. :D

I've been wishing for the multitaskers for about a year now. Cause I graduate as of Friday! (YAAAAAAAY!) That little bit of information might actually be on topic because these last three months have been scaring the bejezzus out of me!

But now I have PS: (Animator) at 12- and the Psych Lim (Fear of Success) VC/Strong.

Yay for higher education!

HH is so up my alley it isn't funny. I'm not only the only person I know who owns the d20 3.5ed Ravenloft material, I also own all the 3.0ed books, and I have a bound printout of Van Richten's Guide to the Mists which was never actually printed. :D So I'm a bit of a nut.

And dude. Lay off the Lovecraft already. He's good, but there's SO much more out there than that crackpot. ;)

HH is so up my alley it isn't funny. I'm not only the only person I know who owns the d20 3.5ed Ravenloft material' date=' I also own all the 3.0ed books, and I have a bound printout of [i']Van Richten's Guide to the Mists[/i] which was never actually printed. :D So I'm a bit of a nut.

And dude. Lay off the Lovecraft already. He's good, but there's SO much more out there than that crackpot. ;)

Ah ... but not in Hero ;)

But then, I'm not a big Ravenloft setting fan either :) Tomato ... tomato-e ;)

There was a WoD game at my RPGing society a while back and although I wasn't in it various stories filtered out.

The party was mostly vampires and at one point they were battling an evil zombie invasion caused by some cursed artefact or other that could turn anything into nasty and intelligent undead, (I particularly liked the zombie chipmunks that attacked the party by crawling underneath their van and gnawing on the fuel line).

Anyway, it got me wondering. If you allow a supernatural explanation for the zombie hordes, as Romero does apparently, then it seems likely that there are other supernatural creatures wandering around trying to survive in a world gone zombie.

It could make for an interesting twist on a zombie attack or PA game. All sorts of plot seeds.

In this part of the world the army are actually fighting the zombies intelligently and ruthlessly e.g. using napalm, luring them into certain areas and rolling tanks over them etc. They appear to be winning but then the shambling hordes manage to turn a pack of werewolves, the dual curses spawn a terrifying new race of fast, strong and clawed creatures, (hopefully they don't regenerate because they are too dead to do so), who tear through the ranks of the living with horrible ease. Can these monster be held of long enough for chemical engineers to create some kind of silver based weapon to destroy them with?

Although the shambling dead ignore them unless provoked a band of vampires has arisen to protect their food source and the society which creates those luxuries that make immortality so fun. But when they are trapped in a besieged tower block with a group of human survivors tensions rise as the vampire's start getting hungry and the line between allies and field rations wears thin ...

A mad doctor finds a way to re-build or gengineer the dead so that they do his bidding and sets out to conquer a dying world.

Sensing apocalypse various demons have made a move to snag as many souls as possible before the final curtain call. Dark cults are formed and infernal spirits possess the soulless dead at will, mocking the living or offering them a false salvation. The surviving humans must decide whether to try and save the world or simply safeguard their souls and wait for the end.

In a PA world a powerful vampire has created a modest fiefdom to see to his needs. Dark creatures patrol its edges to keep the hordes of lesser dead out and their master's human slaves in. All the while the most beautiful and captivating mortals are taken to the lord's crumbling manse to dance attention upon him until he grows bored and drains them of life. Do his wretched subjects dare to try and destroy their master and risk allowing the rotting creatures outside to break in and feast upon them?

The zombie plague has left many lost souls behind it. Do these ghosts wraiths and spectres pity the living and use their meager powers to warn or aid them against those who would devour them? Or do they resent the living and try to chase them out of sanctuaries and guide zombies towards them.

Similar to the first vampire scenario above. A handful of desperate survivors has taken refuge in a system of underground tunnels, perhaps maintenance corridors or a train system. They have sealed up the entrances for now but in staving off the enemy without they have trapped themselves with the enemy within. Horribly mutilated bodies begin to appear, some have been torn apart, others eaten. Can the survivors locate and destroy the werewolf in their midst? As an interesting twist the werewolf curse might render one immune to the deadly bite of a zombie and so someone who had apparently 'died' from a zombie bite actually survived and is now stalking the people who abandoned them. Or in classic werewolf style the killer could be quite unaware of their true nature. Now there's a nasty trick to pull on a player, though perhaps ok in a one off game.

Zombies attack a high security prison and somehow get in. (Presumably due to quite incredible incompetence on the part of the guards). Some of the living inmates escape and if you thought the dead were bad ...

Of course there are more esoteric beasties to unleash on a dead-world.

Nasty snake-people live deep in the earth and since humanity is being brought to the brink of extinction by something so trivial as a zombie plague they clearly do not deserve to own the surface world. And so the scaly shall inherit the earth, or perish in the attempt.

Well done team, you've managed to escape the flesh eating corpses of your former comrades for the moment. Time to hide out in a deserted backwater while you wait to see if civilisation will survive and re-assert itself. Hmm, what does that town sign say? Silent Hill. That sounds like a nice safe place to rest in for a while.

Horrified by the wholescale destruction of his people at the rotting hands of the dead a shaman summons spirits of destruction to avenge them. Unfortunately for the next humans to wander into these zombie infested woods the shaman was quite beyond including target recognition in his castings.

An unkillable serial killer wanders cheerfully through the zombie filled world, most people run towards rather than away from him these days, it makes things much easier.

Not to mention the hilarity that would ensue if the pod people or puppet masters tried to conquer earth while it was being gripped by a zombie plague. Man would they bite off more than they could chew, (and yes I can see and awful zombie-chewing related pun waiting to happen there, please don't do it).