Horror Playtest

Darren Watts

Re: Horror Playtest

I'm glad this is finally on the radar even if not on the schedule yet.

I have to ask though, does horror really rate so low that Lucha Hero really beats it to print or was that a fluke right time and place kind of thing. I guess I'm still stunned that Lucha Hero isn't a joke. That so sounds like an April 1st release. :confused:

Shadowsoul, you should write for Palladium. (That's a compliment BTW.) ;)

Toadmaster, the delay for Horror HERO was due to Steve Long (who of course does the vast majority of the writing for Hero Games these days) not feeling experienced enough with the genre to write it himself. Allen Thomas was originally slated to write HH before he left the company. HG has been looking for some time for a principle author with sufficient genre and HERO System experience. According to Darren Watts, he and Jason Walters finally revised their own schedules so that they could work on it jointly. They're trying to line up another party or parties to contribute to the non-system part of the book, in a manner similar to S. John Ross's contribution to Pulp HERO.

Please tell me that "party or parties" is Ken Hite. That would turn Horror HERO from a "may or may not buy" to a "definitely buy" for me. :D

It really needs to be Ken Hite. He would also draw in a lot of non-hero people to buy the book.

My other wishlist items for the book:

1. Cthulu mythos

2. World of Darkness style bits (you are the monster chapter)

3. Crossover stuff - Ravenloft for example, is just fantasy/horror crossover

I know these three are probably all automatic. But thats what I want from the book.

I have to ask though' date=' does horror really rate so low that Lucha Hero really beats it to print or was that a fluke right time and place kind of thing.[/quote']From all accounts, the latter: Steve & Co. were just hunting around for the right author, and one came up. (That's the vague short form, which just about anyone else could expand upon to make clearer -- I'm actually just a tad surprised nobody has jumped in on this question already.)

No more vampire like. Its a remake of a remake, which was based on a book. Last Man on Earth with Vincint Price, and later the Omega Man with Charlston Heston. I'm looking forward to the movie as the two earlier movies are classic PA flicks and unless they screw it up I am Legend should be as well.

I know Horror has languished since Steve's not a fan and no authors with the proper potential have come forth, I'm used to that. It's the Lucha Hero thing that gets me. It makes me feel like a guy in the emergency room who cut his hand off and has it sitting in a bag of ice on his lap. When the guy having a heart attack gets in before him, ok, that is pretty serious stuff, when the guy with the gunshot wound is brought in ahead of him, yep, he looks like is going to die, understandable that he gets in first. But Lucha Hero is the nurse bringing the guy with the sniffles in straight away while you've been sitting there for hours, you just want to say "hey my arms off". It just makes Horror Hero the Rodney Dangerfield of gaming. :rolleyes:

But hey, at least its on the radar if not the schedule, and Rodney Dangerfiled was a pretty funny guy. ;)

I know Horror has languished since Steve's not a fan and no authors with the proper potential have come forth' date=' I'm used to that. It's the Lucha Hero thing that gets me. It makes me feel like a guy in the emergency room who cut his hand off and has it sitting in a bag of ice on his lap. When the guy having a heart attack gets in before him, ok, that is pretty serious stuff, when the guy with the gunshot wound is brought in ahead of him, yep, he looks like is going to die, understandable that he gets in first. But Lucha Hero is the nurse bringing the guy with the sniffles in straight away while you've been sitting there for hours, you just want to say "hey my arms off". It just makes Horror Hero the Rodney Dangerfield of gaming. :rolleyes: [/quote']

It's more like the guy with a severed hand waiting in the emergency room while the guy with the sniffles heads straight into the walk-in clinic. Since all the sniffles guy needs is a tissue and a prescription, they can get him in and out while they're still paging the trauma surgeon.