Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

Susano

Re: Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

Wow. Nobody has mentioned Sonny Chiba.:nonp:

I thought about Sonny Chiba, but his series of Streetfighter movies was from the 70s, while Sho Kosugi was hitting his stride in the early 1980s. And if I had to pick, I'll take the ninja over the "brawler". Chuck Norris sort of takes the Sonny Chiba role anyway, and fits better (IMO). Now, if was going to go with an early 70s cast, yeah, I'd use Sonny, and Bruce Lee (among others).

I have the complete cast, actually, uhm... just not with me, or I'd post it.

Stay tuned.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the list of possible PCs to pick from:

• Jackie (played by Jackie Chan) -- an up-and-coming Hong Kong police officer whose exploits will eventually be fictionalized in the Police Story series of movies.
  • Michelle Yip (played by Michelle Yeoh) -- Jackie's partner. She's far more professional and business-like than Jackie.
  • Cho Osaki (played by Sho Kosugi) -- after faking his death in 1981, Cho is now seeking out those forced him to commit crimes and stain his honor.
  • JJ McQuade (played by Chuck Norris) -- ex Vietnam vet, JJ is now a Texas Ranger. Rumor has it he returned to Vietnam in the late 70s as part of a covert operation to recover American MIAs. Much like Jackie, his life will be turned into a series of movies (where his name will be changed to James Braddock) and a TV series (where his name will be changed to "Walker").
  • Sammo Law (played by Sammo Hung) -- A fellow student who trained and sparred with Mr. Lee, Sammo is now a Shanghai police officer. Later, he will move to Los Angeles, gain the nickname of "Martial Law" and once again team-up McQuade the Texas Ranger.
  • Frank Dux (played by Jean Claude van Damme) -- a former Belgian full-contact kickboxer, Frank then joined the US Army. He's now in Hong Kong looking to gain entry to the famous underground kumite said to be held here. In a few years he will enter, and win, the kumite, his adventures turned into the film Bloodsport.
  • Nico Toscani (played by Steven Seagal) -- another Vietnam vet, Nico was involved in CIA operations while there. Afterwards he traveled to Tokyo to continue his training in the art of aikido (which he was first exposed to in his hometown of Chicago). After being awarded his 7th dan in aikdo, he'll return to Chicago and join the Chicago Police Department. Supposedly, the film Above the Law is an account of his life.

Any thoughts? I selected what I hoped were well-known martial arts "icons." I also picked the characters based in how I could link their back stories (only Sho is really out in the cold here, but hey, I he's a ninja!). The villain has been selected as well, and I've even been able to develop some nice 'fluff' as to what he's up to in Hong Kong.

I know it's a little late to pitch names, but what about Brigitte Lin? In 1983 she did the movie Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain. She tended to play tomboy/transgender roles in later movies, which sets her off a bit from Michelle Yeoh's style.

Yes' date=' but she always played period swordswomen and the like. I don't if she ever did a modern day character.[/quote']

She's done two that I can find: (1986) Peking Opera Blues (set in 1913, where she played a patriotic rebel dressed as a man) and the original Police Story movie (1985) with Jackie Chan.

Shame Jackie Chan couldn't be his Drunken Master character. Your PC list seems a little cop heavy' date=' or at least people destined to become cops.[/quote']

The cop part is intentional. Sort of a built-in "this is why you're the heroes" rational.

Shame Jackie Chan couldn't be his Drunken Master character. Your PC list seems a little cop heavy' date=' or at least people destined to become cops.[/quote']

The cop part is intentional. Sort of a built-in "this is why you're the heroes" rational.

• 2 weeks later...

one slightly off the wall suggestion

BA Barracus from the A Team would be an excellent brick style bruiser.He and the rest of the team could be undercover at the contest to rescue someone perhaps(could be someone they knew in Vietnam.) The show started in 1983 so its perfect timing and the team have operated international. oh plus he can be really mad because someone knocked him out and stuck him on a plane again.

Special Request -- If you'd like to help with this project, I could use character sheets for any of the heroes or villains. 150 base, +100 disads, for a total of around 250 to 275. Please realize I'll probably modify them further, but I could use the help, as I suspect my weekends and such will be eaten up with a NASA HQ hardware refresh, and I'd like to try and run this at GenCon.

I have sample character sheets for Bruce Lee, Jackie, and Sho on my website already if you'd like to work from there.

Thanks!

Special Request -- If you'd like to help with this project, I could use character sheets for any of the heroes or villains. 150 base, +100 disads, for a total of around 250 to 275. Please realize I'll probably modify them further, but I could use the help, as I suspect my weekends and such will be eaten up with a NASA HQ hardware refresh, and I'd like to try and run this at GenCon.

I have sample character sheets for Bruce Lee, Jackie, and Sho on my website already if you'd like to work from there.

Thanks!

Dibs on Michelle Yip and JJ McQuade. :)

Dibs on Michelle Yip and JJ McQuade. :)

Thanks. I certainly can scale down Sho and Jackie for the game and can probably work up Sammo as a slightly slower version of Jackie with many of the same schticks but more fast-talk and unluck.

Thanks. I certainly can scale down Sho and Jackie for the game and can probably work up Sammo as a slightly slower version of Jackie with many of the same schticks but more fast-talk and unluck.

IMO Sammo should have higher strength or one more extra HtH DC than Jackie. In Jackie's autobiography ("I am Jackie Chan") he describes Sammo as the strongest martial artist of their school several times. Also, in the Lucky Stars films and Dragons Forever, Sammo generally comes out even with Jackie in their fights (though his character isn't as tough as Jackie's in Wheels on Meals); if you make him slower, he'll need something to balance it.

IMO Sammo should have higher strength or one more extra HtH DC than Jackie. In Jackie's autobiography ("I am Jackie Chan") he describes Sammo as the strongest martial artist of their school several times. Also' date=' in the Lucky Stars films and Dragons Forever, Sammo generally comes out even with Jackie in their fights (though his character isn't as tough as Jackie's in Wheels on Meals); if you make him slower, he'll need something to balance it.[/quote']

Sounds good.

Oh, and JJ McQuade needs extra dice with his Roundhouse Kick, 'cause, well, y'know. :D

Sounds good.

Oh, and JJ McQuade needs extra dice with his Roundhouse Kick, 'cause, well, y'know. :D

Fair enough.

In Norris' autobiography Against all Odds (not a great read, but still interesting) he mentions being measured as kicking at 600 PSI, while most Tae Kwon Do / Karate black-belts tested that day performing the same kick (type of kick was not specified) came out at 200-300 PSI. He also claims to have forced 23 blackbelts in a row to submit in a demo. So, I'm thinking at least one extra DC for JJ. :)