Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

Susano

Re: Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

Fair enough.

In Norris' autobiography Against all Odds (not a great read, but still interesting) he mentions being measured as kicking at 600 PSI, while most Tae Kwon Do / Karate black-belts tested that day came out at 200-300 PSI. He also claims to have forced 23 blackbelts in a row to submit in a demo. So, I'm thinking at least one extra DC for JJ. :)

I will admit that I was considering some extra dice of STR (or HA), Only With Roundhouse, Takes Full Phase with the SFX of "Internet Memes Can't Be Wrong" or some such. :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit that I was considering some extra dice of STR (or HA)' date=' Only With Roundhouse, Takes Full Phase with the SFX of "Internet Memes Can't Be Wrong" or some such. :D[/quote']

In the Campaign Use Section, I'm putting an optional "Tears Cure Cancer" VPP. :D

In the Campaign Use Section' date=' I'm putting an optional "Tears Cure Cancer" VPP. :D[/quote']

BTW, I intend to send you the scenario sequence outline real soon. I'm trying to keep it simple while also following the same sequence of events as Enter the Dragon (to a degree).

Special Request -- If you'd like to help with this project, I could use character sheets for any of the heroes or villains. 150 base, +100 disads, for a total of around 250 to 275. Please realize I'll probably modify them further, but I could use the help, as I suspect my weekends and such will be eaten up with a NASA HQ hardware refresh, and I'd like to try and run this at GenCon.

I have sample character sheets for Bruce Lee, Jackie, and Sho on my website already if you'd like to work from there.

Thanks!

Ya know, if you drop Sho's VPP, he comes out to 236. Though I'm not sure how you feel about giving him things like smoke pellets and Fukumi-Bari for free.

I can take a whack at tuning him though if ya like.

Ya know, if you drop Sho's VPP, he comes out to 236. Though I'm not sure how you feel about giving him things like smoke pellets and Fukumi-Bari for free.

I can take a whack at tuning him though if ya like.

Go for it!

JJ "Colt" McQuade, comments and feedback welcomed.

COL. JJ MCQUADE, AKA LONE WOLF, AKA WALKER, AKA COLT

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

23 CON 26 14-

20 BODY 20 13-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

14 COM 2 12-

10 PD 7 Total: 10 PD (0 rPD)

10 ED 5 Total: 10 ED (0 rED)

4 SPD 7 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

10 REC 4

46 END 0

40 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 131

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

4 Final Roundhouse Kick: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6 (15 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Only With Roundhouse Kick Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½) 3

Notes: The Final Roundhouse kick is devastating, delivering 12d6 of damage, enough to put down virtually any human foe. However, it is exhausting, and can only be used with the Roundhouse Kick maneuver, with the accompanying penalties to CV. Against a more skilled martial artist, this makes it a risky maneuver.

Tang Soo Do and Judo

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Chop -2 +0 HKA 2d6

3 Joint Lock +0 -1 Grab One Limb; 20 STR for holding on

5 Kick / Roundhouse Kick -2 +1 9d6 Strike

4 Punch / Low Kick +0 +2 7d6 Strike

4 Atemi Strike -1 +1 3d6 NND

5 Breaking Throw -2 -2 Grab One Limb; HKA 1d6 , Disable; Target Falls

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 35 STR to Disarm roll

4 Escape +0 +0 40 STR vs. Grabs

4 Submission Hold +0 +0 9d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Notes: "Once forced 23 blackbelts in a row to submit"

Perks

5 Fringe Benefit: Accredited Instructor, Texas Ranger, Veteran and ex-Officer

Talents

5 OK by the next take: Rapid Healing

Skills

Tang Soo Do and Judo

3 1) Breakfall 14-

12 2) Landed Kicks on the Dragon: +4 with Martial Maneuvers

3 3) I noticed he always started with a low kick followed by a straight punch: Analyze: Style 11-

Air Policeman, Combat Vet, Texas Ranger

3 1) Climbing 14-

2 2) Navigation (Land) 11-

3 3) Stealth 14-

8 4) Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain) 11-

3 5) Tracking 11-

1 6) Combat Driving 8-

3 7) Criminology 11-

3 8) Streetwise 13-

3 9) Tactics 11-

10 10) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Emplaced Weapons, Knives, Small Arms, Flamethrowers, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Shoulder-Fired Weapons

7 11) TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Equines, Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, Rafts, Small Motorized Boats, Small Rowed Boats

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: Air Force History And Customs (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) KS: Criminal Law And Procedure (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) KS: Jujutsu (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: Tang Soo Do (2 Active Points) 11-

1 5) KS: Texas Ranger History And Traditions (2 Active Points) 11-

1 6) KS: The Law Enforcement World (2 Active Points) 11-

1 7) KS: The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Jack of All Trades

1 1) He's one of my students: PS: Sensei/SIfu/Sabumnim (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) PS: Air Policeman (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) PS: Military Officer (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) PS: Police Officer (or the like) (2 Active Points) 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 144

Total Cost: 275

150+ Disadvantages

10 Style DIsadvantage: Tang Soo Do and Judo (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Dependent NPC: Sally McQuade, daughter 8- (Normal)

10 Dependent NPC: Girl of the Week 8- (Normal)

20 Psychological Limitation: Heroic Code (Very Common, Strong)

Notes: Always Improve, Help and Respect Others, Respect Authority, Loyalty to Family, Friends, G_d and Country; see Chun Kuck Do

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Women and Children (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Must Avenge Wrongs to friends, comrades, family and Self (Uncommon, Total)

45 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 275

Background/History: Born in 1940, the son of an alcoholic, abusive father and a loving, devout mother, JJ McQuade's poverty and mixed Irish and Cherokee heritage made him the target of bullying by his peers. JJ grew up idolizing the cowboy heroes of the cinema, and the lawmen on both sides of his family tree. He dreamed of becoming a Texas Ranger, both lawman and cowboy, and took his first steps in that direction when he joined the US Air Force at the age of 18. Initially stationed in Korea, JJ discovered talents for Judo and Tang Soo Do, the martial arts that would shape his life. Re-enlisting, he was transferred to Viet Nam. JJ rose quickly through the ranks, re-upping again and gaining his final promotion to Colonel before his capture by the Viet Kong.

JJ led an escape, but his short imprisonment was emotionally shattering, robbing him briefly of his idealism and faith. Discharged, he found himself back in America suffering from PTSD. He took work as a martial arts instructor and bodyguard. At bottom, he accepted a contract as an enforcer, flying to Rome to deal with what he believed to be a group of Chinese gangsters. There he encountered Lee Tang Lung, a superb Chinese martial artist. Lee defeated JJ after an epic battle in the Coliseum, leaving him unconscious and seriously injured.

After JJs recovery, he returned to America and looked at what his life had become. He realized that he'd become the kind of man he despised, a brute, a bad guy. JJ threw himself back into his training, and renewed his quest to become a Texas Ranger. His road to redemption has only begun.

JJ McQuade married at 18 to his high school sweetheart, Molly, before joining the military. Their relationship has been troubled, not unlike JJ's own parent's relationship. After a brief reconciliation and reunion In 1964, Molly became pregnant, giving birth to JJ's daughter, Sally, in 1965.

Personality/Motivation: JJ McQuade is at this stage motivated by his determination to become the man he'd always hoped to be. While still dealing with the loss and bitter anger of his Vietnam experience, he has started to return to the faith and idealism of his youth. He tries to live the part of the Western Hero, respectful to women, kind to children, honest and plain spoken. He abhors bullying and violence directed against the innocent. His darker, violent side does still show through, especially in combat. He is willing to kill for the right reasons.

JJ attempts to live as a Christian, but this has not prevented him from pursuing extra-marital relationships in the past, a weakness he regrets.

Quote: You wanna join the fun?

Powers/Tactics: JJ McQuade is a skilled practitioner of both Judo and Tang Soo Do, and backs this up with considerable street fighting experience. He is also a reasonable marksman, and will not hesitate to use a gun against armed opponents. He once came close to defeating Lee Tang Lung, something few martial artists can claim. In hand to hand combat, he'll usually stick with fast kicks and punches, grappling only if facing a single opponent. His deadlier maneuvers, including the dreaded roundhouse kick, are usually reserved for the most dangerous of foes; even then, he tends to hold them back until he is certain they'll be needed.

While not the fastest martial artist, JJ can take a significant beating and still keep fighting, and his blows do considerable damage when they land.

JJ is a well trained former Air Policeman and Military Officer. He is well acquainted with small arms and demolitions, stealth, strategy, tactics, and various survival techniques. He also possesses basic investigative skills, and the skill set of a martial arts instructor.

Campaign Use: Lawman, adversary or ally.

This build draws on Chuck Norris' autobiography "Against All Odds", as well as the characters JJ McQuade from "Lone Wolf McQuade", Colt from "Way of the Dragon", Walker from "Walker, Texas Ranger", and James Braddock from Missing in Action, including Norris' own comments on each of these characters. The aspects of the build I expect to be most controversial are the Dex and SPD; these were chosen as campaign appropriate rather than out of any special stab at "realism". While not the fastest or most acrobatic martial artist, JJ should be able to seriously challenge faster opponents. The high CON, BOD and PD come from the severe beatings that JJ takes, and his ability to both stay conscious through them and recover afterwards. In particular, Bruce Lee wanted Norris' Colt character to appear bigger, stronger, and slightly less skilled than his own, and asked Norris to put on 20 pounds for the role.

To decrease the character's power, reduce his CON, BOD and PD, and reduce his Dex and SPD to just under your campaign's top martial artists (remembering that Norris was able to win six world championships). You might also reduce his skill levels and DCs. To increase his power, cinematic super skills including Cinematic Toughness, Combat Luck, etc might be appropriate. Also consider adding a "Tears Cure Cancer" Internet Meme VPP.

His Heroic Code is lifted from the ideals of Norris' self-founded martial art, Chun Kuk Do.

Appearance: A handsome Caucasian of slightly above average height with an athletic build. Light brown hair, blue eyes, considerable body hair, often sports a beard. Dresses in American Western fashions.

Chuck Norris by Chuck Norris, JJ Colt Walker Braddock McQuade by Robert Dorf and Mike Surbrook inspired by Chuck Norris, Character Sheet by Robert Dorf

Thanks Oddhat' date=' this will make it a lost easier to build some of the others. I'll use your character sheet as central point.[/quote']

Glad to contribute. :)

He was built with heavy reference to the write ups of Bruce Lee, Sho Kosugi, and Jet Li on your site. Special weight was given to Noriss' own comments on his role in Way of the Dragon, and Lee's desire to show "Colt" as physically tougher but overcome by superior skill.

Doing the write up of "Michelle Yip", played by Michelle Yeoh, now.

Chose Sanshou as her martial art. Her characters are mainly cops, and Sanshou is popular among the Chinese police and military. I expect there's probably an HK specific training style, but I can't find it.

Main movie sources are Magnificent Warriors, Royal Warriors, Supercop, and Supercop 2.

Michelle Yeoh's own bio will also be used.

Officer Michelle Yip

OFFICER "MICHELLE" YIP JING-JING

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6

26 DEX 48 14- OCV: 9/DCV: 9

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 ½d6

18 COM 4 13-

4+6 PD 2 Total: 4/10 PD (0/6 rPD)

4+6 ED 1 Total: 4/10 ED (0/6 rED)

5 SPD 14 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

5 REC 0

26 END 0

22 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 97

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

12 Still Beautiful: Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Notes: Despite the extremely violent situations she tends to be caught up in, Michelle never really ends up bruised or broken even when she takes direct hits. Not that she's invincible; she just never seems to take any damage that would mar her looks.

5 You were born in Hong Kong in 1954, educated in...: Eidetic Memory

Notes: Michelle's trained memory often comes in handy

5 I read your file last night: Cramming

Sanshou / Sanda

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Block +1 +3 Block, Abort

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 20 STR to Disarm roll

4 Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Escape +0 +0 25 STR vs. Grabs

3 Joint Lock/Grab -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 20 STR for holding on

5 Kick -2 +1 6d6 Strike

4 Knife Hand -2 +0 HKA 1d6 +1

4 Punch +0 +2 4d6 Strike

3 Throw +0 +1 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 Tien-hsueh Strike -1 +1 2d6 NND

1 Weapon Element: Blades

1 Weapon Element: Clubs

1 Weapon Element: Polearms

1 Weapon Element: Staffs

1 Weapon Element: Chain Weapons

Perks

Respected Police Officer

Notes: In 1983, Officer Yip's career had yet to take off. Still, she's only a few years away from her rapid rise.

2 1) Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers

1 2) Fringe Benefit: Law Enforcement Rank

Skills

Sanshou / Wu Shu training

3 1) Acrobatics 14-

3 2) Breakfall 14-

3 3) Contortionist 14-

2 4) KS: Kung Fu 11-

2 5) WF: Common Melee Weapons

2 6) WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons

Notes: Michelle is very fond of chain and rope weapons early in her career

12 7) Extraordinary Grace: +4 with Martial Maneuvers

10 8) Defense Maneuver I-IV

Notes: In Magnificent Warriors, Michelle takes on gangs of attackers with no loss in her ability to avoid harm

Police Training

3 1) Jumps a Motorcycle onto a Moving Train: Combat Driving 14-

3 2) Criminology 13-

2 3) KS: Criminal Law And Procedure 11-

2 4) KS: The Law Enforcement World 11-

3 5) PS: Police Officer 13-

3 6) Streetwise 13-

2 7) WF: Small Arms

4 8) TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Agricultural & Construction Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles

Administration and Undercover Work

3 1) Brother! It's good to see you!: Acting 13-

3 2) I am a police officer, and that man is my suspect: Bureaucratics 13-

3 3) I killed him! You must take me with you!: Persuasion 13-

3 4) I followed you: Shadowing 13-

3 Could have been Miss World: Seduction 13-

2 PS: Dancer 11-

0 Language: Malay (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

4 Language: Cantonese (idiomatic)

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 153

Total Cost: 250

150+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: department she works for 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Distinctive Features: Style Disadvantage: Sanda (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Social Limitation: Subject To Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

5 Social Limitation: Female Officer, sometimes has to fight for respect (Occasionally, Minor)

5 Dependent NPC: Unworthy Boyfriend 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)

Notes: When Michelle does end up with a boyfriend, he ends up either an adversary or doomed

20 Psychological Limitation: Dedicated and Incorruptible Police Officer, Duty Above All (Common, Total)

Notes: Gives up even love for duty

20 Psychological Limitation: Protects the Innocent, especially children (Common, Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Puts on a hard exterior, hides her soft side (Common, Moderate)

Total Disadvantage Points: 250

Background/History: An ethnic Chinese born in Malaysia in 1962, Michelle's mother died in child birth. Her father ("Steven" Yip Siulung), a police officer, raised her as best he could. An athletic child, Michelle trained formally in dance and gymnastics, and dreamed of a career in the ballet, until tragedy struck. When she was 16, her father died in the line of duty. Michelle enrolled in the HK police academy the following year.

Now at the beginning of her career, Michelle has shown great promise, and is considered likely to receive rapid promotion. Her flair for acting, extraordinary memory and good looks have led to her being groomed for undercover work. She is determined to do well.

Personality/Motivation: Driven and determined to live up to both the memory of her father and her own ideal of what it means to be a police officer, Michelle puts duty above all, including her own happiness. Her personal relationships tend to suffer from this. Worse, she has already shown a tendency to become entangled with men whose surface strength masks significant inner flaws. She does have a soft side, but conceals it, especially around strangers and professional colleagues. She will not tolerate disrespect.

Michelle is a natural actress, and enjoys her time under cover. She also takes pride in her athletic prowess, and enjoys driving (especially motorcycles).

Quote: I read your file.

Powers/Tactics: Michelle is an exceptional natural athlete and actress, as well as highly disciplined and observant. She does her research and makes her preparations carefully, and can be counted on to have memorized all available information relevant to a case. When under cover, she is adept at staying in character and winning the confidence of even hardened, career criminals. She is also unafraid of using her persuasive skills and looks to lower a suspect's guard.

In combat, Michelle favors a defensive version of Sanda (a combat version of Wu Shu taught in the Chinese military and police forces). Strong for her size, Michelle does what she can to avoid being hit, attempting to nickel and dime larger, stronger foes into unconsciousness. Considering her speed, this approach is very effective.* She is skilled enough to handle large groups of attackers. Michelle will gladly use weapons if they are available, and while she favors chain and rope weapons, she is a reasonable shot with a gun.

Michelle is very much at home on a motorcycle.

*From a Special Effects point of view, when an opponent misses due to the DCV bonus granted by her maneuvers and skill levels, she can be considered to have effectively blocked his attack while launching her own; this is just color, but better reflects the frequent block-strike combos she launches on film.

Campaign Use: Michelle was tricky to do. The real Michelle Yeoh was 21 in 1983, and had just won the Miss Malaysia pageant. She was a dancer (until back problems put an end to that career path) and amateur athlete, but she had no martial arts background. Her acting career didn't take off until 1985 or so, when she started to appear regularly with Jackie and Sammo. This write up is based heavily on her early roles in Royal Warriors and Yes, Madam, as well as her later roles in Supercop and Project S. I chose Sanda as her martial art based on its "official" status in the Chinese military. The Boyfriend related disads come from her character's dating history in Project S / Supercop 2, The Heroic Trio, and Silver Hawk.

Her Dex and SPD are debatable; they were placed here with an eye to the campaign in which she is to appear. She should generally be a bit faster and harder to hit than larger, stronger fighters. The Combat Luck is there to reflect her own brand of surprising toughness on screen.

To make her more powerful, I'd suggest a few extra DCs and maybe a super skill or two to reflect her speed in combat. To make her less powerful, drop the combat luck.

Appearance: A short, slender, and heartbreakingly beautiful Chinese woman, Favors short hair or a pony tail. Prefers her uniform when not undercover, wears appropriate but conservative clothing when undercover.

Michelle Yeoh by Michelle Yeoh, Michelle Yip by Ka-Cheung Tsang, Character by Robert Dorf and Michael Surbrook, Character Sheet by Robert Dorf, 2008

Oddhat' date=' you're way ahead of me. But then, my work schedule is a bit packed right now.[/quote']

Hope you can use them. :)

The numbers are always pretty easy, especially with Hero Designer. The time consuming part is coming up with the back story.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A character suggestion so we can work the legendary Sonny Chiba in? Hattori Hanzo, of whom there apparently always is one.

Edit: or if the intent is to get the real world actor/personality involved, Sonny's first Hanzo role was in 1980 I believe.

I was trying to figure if I could fit Chiba in and never came up with a solution. He did the Street Fighter stuff way back in '74 so I know he was around. I just couldn't think of any way to plug him in.

• 1 month later...

another martial arts character is g-6 special agent jonathon cross codenamed the jaguar[the jaguar lives,portrayed by joe lewis] by the time of thr game he could have been done with the killing of the kings drug conspiracy and either be assigned to investigate the hans island tournament or joind the tournament after quitting or being fired from g-6

the movie the jaguar lives starring joe lewis

it told of jonathon cross special agent of an antidrug agency called g-6

after recovering from a gunshot wound in the line of duty cross codenamed the jaguar is recruited to investigate a drug cartel called the killing of the kings he does only to learn the cartel is led by his supposedly murdered partner

How about Richard Norton' date=' who was in The Octogon with Chuck Norris in 1980 and who co-starred with Cynthia Rocthrock in a bunch of her films (esp China O'Brian) and has been in "Walker: Texas Ranger".[/quote']

I was thinking about Norton myself. He fights both Sammo and Jackie in one of the Lucky Stars films, defeating Jackie in one scene and later being knocked out by Sammo. His tag line was "It hurts?" Sammo's reply was "No. I'm numb."

Not a bad choice as one of the villains.

the movie the jaguar lives starring joe lewis

it told of jonathon cross special agent of an antidrug agency called g-6

after recovering from a gunshot wound in the line of duty cross codenamed the jaguar is recruited to investigate a drug cartel called the killing of the kings he does only to learn the cartel is led by his supposedly murdered partner

Sorry, never heard of it.