Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

Susano

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086756/#comment

'The Master' was a television series that ran 13 episodes in 1984 (whould make the lead character available for a 1983 appearance if desired).

Episode 1 summary (comments in brackets are mine):

Season 1, Episode 1: Max

Original Air Date: 20 January 1984

In the opening episode of this series John Peter McAllister [Lee van Cleef] is introduced as an American who remained in Japan after the War and became a Ninja. [Presumable a ninja master, given the title.] He has just discovered he has a [half-Japanese] daughter after many years and decides to go to America to find her. On his way out he is wounded by a former protégé [sho Kosugi] who vows to track him down to stop him from breaking the Ninja code. Meanwhile in America in the town of Ellerston a drifter and wannabe hero Max Keller runs into a girl who flags him down on the road. Apparently the girl was being attacked or come on to be a corrupt Sheriff. Max saves her and learns that the girl, Holly Trumbull and her father own an airport which is trying to be closed and bought out by a scheming land developer. The Master meanwhile arrives and runs in to trouble with the sheriff at the bar. The Master demonstrates his amazing skill to Max during a fight in the bar with the Sheriff and other hoodlums. Max decides he wants to become a ninja. Arson to the Trumbull's Airport causes even more problems for the heroes as the team up to stop the evil land developer and his cohorts. Max tags along with the Master in hopes of becoming a Ninja and to also help him find his daughter.

The show was fascinating (yes I *am* old enough to remember when it was on the air) in a bizzare way. Lee van Cleef obviously had a blast with the character, delivering ancient master lines and appearing in his black satin ikibana to deliver stuntman-substituted rightous ninja whoop-asss on the bad guys.

If you wanted to use him, an obvious idea would be that his helf-Japanese daughter was shipped off to Han's Island. Being the daughter of a ninja master, it's doubtful that she stayed there long, but being on the run from Han's men (or whoever took his place) gives a perfectly good reason for her being on the move and hiding in America. Having Sho be on the team adds another layer of interesting coincidence to the whole affair.

Re: Return To Doctor Han's Island (advice needed)

If I want a cheesy ninja' date=' I'll take Sonny Chiba.[/quote']

You keep saying Sonny Chiba...

Why do you hate Sho Kosugi so that you block his very name from your mind?!?!?

;)

My dad used to have this thing...out in the midwest we had (have?) these 7-11 knockoffs called The White Hen Pantry. Whenever we'd need some bread, or a thing of milk, Dad would say "Okay, everyone into the car, we're going to the White Chicken!" He insists he'd do it for laughs, but I remember the look of lost incomprehension he'd get just before saying the name. It was not his "for comic effect" face is all I'm sayin'.

Wow, now that was a tangent...

Anyway, I need to drop you a line about something in the Sho write-up, so it shoud be in your mail shortly after this gets posted.