Yet Another Build Question: rubber-morph going splat

DataPacRat

Besides "Mike the Demoness", I'm also working on another character proposal: "Rubber Mousie", a Mr. Fantastic/Plastic-Man sort of being made out of a sort of sentient living latex/rubber material. I've just bought and downloaded Ultimate Metamorph, which gave a lot of handy suggestions, but there's one power-effect I couldn't find:

Mousie is on top of a building, and wants to get to the bottom post-haste to catch up with somebody down there. Mousie jumps off building. Mousie falls at full speed. Mousie goes 'splat' on the ground, resembling post-fall Humpty Dumpty. Mousie shortly gathers her wits and pulls herself back together, none the worse for wear, and resumes the chase.

So, Breakfall? Not that great, with the -1 per 2". Gliding? Certainly possible as a general power trick, but in this case it would seem to be slower than falling speed. 60" Leaping (30" Vertical), with a limit Only To Counter Falling Damage? Use 75% Damage Reduction and simply suck up 25% of the 30d6 falling damage? Go back to the Desolidification debate? Something else?

(The other power I haven't figured out how to build yet: Flight, requiring a Focus of a helium tank to inflate herself with.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Yet Another Build Question: rubber-morph going splat

75 % Damage Reduction Physical [only versus falling damage] plus about 30+ PD [only versus falling damage]

Figuring that 30d6 will result in about 30 Body & 105 Stun average roll

you take about 0 BODY, and about 19 STUN. Does that work for you?:D

Besides "Mike the Demoness", I'm also working on another character proposal: "Rubber Mousie", a Mr. Fantastic/Plastic-Man sort of being made out of a sort of sentient living latex/rubber material. I've just bought and downloaded Ultimate Metamorph, which gave a lot of handy suggestions, but there's one power-effect I couldn't find:

Mousie is on top of a building, and wants to get to the bottom post-haste to catch up with somebody down there. Mousie jumps off building. Mousie falls at full speed. Mousie goes 'splat' on the ground, resembling post-fall Humpty Dumpty. Mousie shortly gathers her wits and pulls herself back together, none the worse for wear, and resumes the chase.

So, Breakfall? Not that great, with the -1 per 2". Gliding? Certainly possible as a general power trick, but in this case it would seem to be slower than falling speed. 60" Leaping (30" Vertical), with a limit Only To Counter Falling Damage? Use 75% Damage Reduction and simply suck up 25% of the 30d6 falling damage? Go back to the Desolidification debate? Something else?

(The other power I haven't figured out how to build yet: Flight, requiring a Focus of a helium tank to inflate herself with.)

I'd definitely go with 3/4 DR (physical) as I daresay it is not just falling damage that Rubber Mousie is good at resisting. Coupled with a decent recovery and maybe a smidge of regeneration, it should be exactly what you are after.

I'd recommend the leaping. Under the old rules, you only needed half as much leaping for landing as your velocity, but velocity is 30" per segment, so assuming a 4 SPD Mousie, that'd be 45" to counter 90"; 22" since there's x2 Noncombat for free, or 11" with 5 pts Noncombat, total cost of 16 pts, and the 1d6 left over damage will likely be ignored.

I'd recommend the leaping. Under the old rules' date=' you only needed half as much leaping for landing as your velocity, but velocity is 30" per segment, so assuming a 4 SPD Mousie, that'd be 45" to counter 90"; 22" since there's x2 Noncombat for free, or 11" with 5 pts Noncombat, total cost of 16 pts, and the 1d6 left over damage will likely be ignored.[/quote']

Here's a question I don't believe I'm asking. Can you buy leaping (20") Only for Landing (-1)?

Don't laugh, I'm totally serious. Additionally, you may just buy a ton of leaping to simulate 'bouncing' and be done with it, since that'd also solve the problem, non?

Here's a question I don't believe I'm asking. Can you buy leaping (20") Only for Landing (-1)?

Don't laugh, I'm totally serious. Additionally, you may just buy a ton of leaping to simulate 'bouncing' and be done with it, since that'd also solve the problem, non?

Assuming the GM is using the optional rule that allows leaping to negate falling damage, you'd probably be allowed to do that (So +58" Leaping (Only to reduce falling damage: 29 points, less if your Str is higher than 10)

If all that Rubber Mousie can do is soak falling damage then these constructions are doozy, but why not buy a defence that would logically apurtain in other situations too. Loads of breakfall or leaping is fine to reduce or stop falling damage if you are free to move, but would not be useable if you were, for instance restrained or entangled. It doesn't make sense that a rubber body that is tied up would take more damage than one that is not.

If all that Rubber Mousie can do is soak falling damage then these constructions are doozy' date=' but why not buy a defence that would logically apurtain in other situations too. Loads of breakfall or leaping is fine to reduce or stop falling damage if you are free to move, but would not be useable if you were, for instance restrained or entangled. It doesn't make sense that a rubber body that is tied up would take more damage than one that is not.[/quote']

It could, if the resistance to damage derives from being able to actually "splat" all over the place. Being Entangled or restrained would prevent you from distributing your mass, and hence the damage, and you'd take full damage (or more less, if Damage Reduction is bought, which it might, given the SFX).

It could' date=' if the resistance to damage derives from being able to actually "splat" all over the place. Being Entangled or restrained would prevent you from distributing your mass, and hence the damage, and you'd take full damage (or more less, if Damage Reduction is bought, which it might, given the SFX).[/quote']

Agreed, but what if someone falls onto you? You could 'splat' but leaping or breakfall would not help you at all.

Agreed' date=' but what if someone falls onto you? You could 'splat' but leaping or breakfall would not help you at all.[/quote']

I'd say the DR takes care of that. Which is why I think DR is appropriate for this build. =)

Breakfall, with lots of PSLs, is still appropriate, IMO, to reflect "bracing" or "preparing" when falling. Whether IRL it's the same or not, in an RPG, especially in a Superhero game, falling takes a much longer time, and hence should allow you to prepare for the fall, than being hit or having someone fall on you (i.e. being hit with someone).

Or (or And?) buy Missle Deflection (defined as attacks bouncing off you), and let THAT take care of bouncing/splatting whatever (or whoever!) falls on you?

I'd say the DR takes care of that. Which is why I think DR is appropriate for this build. =)

Breakfall, with lots of PSLs, is still appropriate, IMO, to reflect "bracing" or "preparing" when falling. Whether IRL it's the same or not, in an RPG, especially in a Superhero game, falling takes a much longer time, and hence should allow you to prepare for the fall, than being hit or having someone fall on you (i.e. being hit with someone).

Or (or And?) buy Missle Deflection (defined as attacks bouncing off you), and let THAT take care of bouncing/splatting whatever (or whoever!) falls on you?

Is there an adder for large missiles? I know that general missile deflection doesn't cover, say, boulders. What if Rubber Mousie wants to be able to handle 'massive' objects, such as cars, busses, tanks, and other heroes? Does Missile Deflection cover that? Can it?

Is there an adder for large missiles? I know that general missile deflection doesn't cover' date=' say, boulders. What if Rubber Mousie wants to be able to handle 'massive' objects, such as cars, busses, tanks, and other heroes? Does Missile Deflection cover that? Can it?[/quote']

Well, apparently it's not an issue of mass, but of size. You can't deflect AE attacks (or more specifically, attacks that target a hex). OTOH, it does say the GM may expand or waive those rules (the ones covering what you can and can't deflect) in light of SFX. It goes on to mention an AOE or Entangle carried in a bullet or grenade, and how the GM should let the character deflect it, and how the attack should take the Can Be Missle Deflected Limitation.

I'd say "Rubbery Body" would be an SFX that would allow you to deflect a small AOE attack (one that covers, at most, a hex), or one that's carried in a smaller missle (which, really, should take the Limitation mentioned above). Conversely, it probably shouldn't be allowed to deflect extremely "pointy" or "sharp" missles (say, anything with Penetrating or Armor Piercing?). I think that's balanced. You could even disallow all KAs, which should probably be a Limitation.

I think Mousie should be able to Deflect another hero, a boulder, maaaybe a motorcyle (a small one?), probably not a car, and certainly not a bus or tank.

Well, apparently it's not an issue of mass, but of size. You can't deflect AE attacks (or more specifically, attacks that target a hex). OTOH, it does say the GM may expand or waive those rules (the ones covering what you can and can't deflect) in light of SFX. It goes on to mention an AOE or Entangle carried in a bullet or grenade, and how the GM should let the character deflect it, and how the attack should take the Can Be Missle Deflected Limitation.

I'd say "Rubbery Body" would be an SFX that would allow you to deflect a small AOE attack (one that covers, at most, a hex), or one that's carried in a smaller missle (which, really, should take the Limitation mentioned above). Conversely, it probably shouldn't be allowed to deflect extremely "pointy" or "sharp" missles (say, anything with Penetrating or Armor Piercing?). I think that's balanced. You could even disallow all KAs, which should probably be a Limitation.

I think Mousie should be able to Deflect another hero, a boulder, maaaybe a motorcyle (a small one?), probably not a car, and certainly not a bus or tank.

Or, buy her Missile Deflection as an AOE.

If you just want to absorb impacts (and I still think DR is the best approach), try this, for 21 active points:

Teleportation 1", No Relative Velocity, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Being about to hit something (or something about to hit you) while travelling fast enough to do yourself some damage; +1), Usable As Attack (+1) (42 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1)

I don't see why not. I've used it myself.

Everyone else also has good ideas. In light of the teleportation one, here's something your GM will punch you for:

Gliding 1", To reduce falling damage only, does not slow real velocity(-1), 1 active pts, 1 real cost, 0 END

I don't see why not. I've used it myself.

Everyone else also has good ideas. In light of the teleportation one, here's something your GM will punch you for:

Gliding 1", To reduce falling damage only, does not slow real velocity(-1), 1 active pts, 1 real cost, 0 END

I like that a lot, although I wouldn't allow the limitation (I'd make it -0): falling fast can easily be as much of an advantage as a limitation - if it does not hurt when you hit!

I like that a lot' date=' although I wouldn't allow the limitation (I'd make it -0): falling fast can easily be as much of an advantage as a limitation - if it does not hurt when you hit![/quote']

So... taking no damage from falls of any distance should cost one point, instead of being rounded up to one point?

Besides "Mike the Demoness"' date=' [/quote']

Mike is female?

I don't see why not. I'd say it's probably the best solution. I'd allow it to reduce the effective falling distance for purposes of damage. IOW, if she's got 10" Leaping-only-to-Land, and she falls 13", she takes damage for a fall of only 3". Whoops! That's not quite right! 10" Leaping is *horizontal* distance. You only get half of that for vertical. So, she'd subtract 5" worth of falling damage from whatever distance she fell.

I have always allowed characters to absorb the impact from falling based on their vertical leaping ability. If you're legs are strong enough to propel you to the top of a building, then they must also be strong enough to take the impact from leaping off that building.

This assumes certain conditions are met:

1) The character has to be conscious and aware of the fall.

2) The character has to be falling in an upright position (it doesn't work if he's falling head-first!), or at least he has to be able to get into an upright position before he hits.

3) He has to be able to see the ground and be able to bend his knees when he hits.

4) In certain circumstances, such as strong winds, or distractions (like being shot at repeatedly on the way down), or encumbrances (carrying old Mrs. McCleary and her two cats down from the burning building), a DEX roll may be required (possibly at a penalty).

In some cases, some of these conditions might apply to Rubber-Bouncy-Falling as well.

Mike is female?

Usually, most of the time, in the recent past. As the saying goes, "It's complicated," and involves a Secret ID or two. The demoness's original mind has gone elsewhere; the mind currently inhabiting the body used to be male; the body has the ability to assume any number of mortal shapes (male or female), but Mike's inexperience means that it tends to revert to the 'default' goat-legged/horned/uddered/hooved/tailed bat-winged female shape whenever his emotions rise.

Lot's of good suggestions have been made by everyone else.

Here's a character that embodies much of what you describe (except the helium tank flight :D)

Stretch Armstrong

HM

Is there an adder for large missiles? I know that general missile deflection doesn't cover' date=' say, boulders. What if Rubber Mousie wants to be able to handle 'massive' objects, such as cars, busses, tanks, and other heroes? Does Missile Deflection cover that? Can it?[/quote']

Dare we say... Planets?

"I'm not falling, the ground is a missle rushing towards me!" :D