Yet Another Build Question: rubber-morph going splat

DataPacRat

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Yet Another Build Question: rubber-morph going splat

Another possibility is a 30 PD Force Wall (2" length to englobe you), trigger (right before I hit the ground), self only. That should be a similar effect to the Damage Reduction that's been suggested, except that it probably has a better chance of preventing you from taking roughly 7d6 points of falling damage (the remaining 25%). Maybe it could be a variable trigger, for other "huge impact" types of scenarios (incoming truck, meteor, Grond, and so on). I might give it lockout, too, but it seems unnecessary since being in a force wall prevents you from acting outside of it, anyway.

Another possibility is a 30 PD Force Wall (2" length to englobe you), trigger (right before I hit the ground), self only. That should be a similar effect to the Damage Reduction that's been suggested, except that it probably has a better chance of preventing you from taking roughly 7d6 points of falling damage (the remaining 25%). Maybe it could be a variable trigger, for other "huge impact" types of scenarios (incoming truck, meteor, Grond, and so on). I might give it lockout, too, but it seems unnecessary since being in a force wall prevents you from acting outside of it, anyway.

In case anyone's curious - I finally got from the GM the point limits for the game to build Mousie to: 150 base + 100 disadvantage. This required... a somewhat different approach to building her powers than I'd been fiddling with, concentrating more on shaving points than character fulfillment.

Some details of the build I proposed (which has yet to receive approval, disapproval, or commentary):

Characteristics: Total 36

Skills: Total 11

[3] Power: Stretching Tricks

Martial Arts: Total 11

[4] Choke Hold

[3] Martial Grab

[4] Nerve Strike

Perks: Total: 4

Powers: Total 188

Power theme: Made of a sort of living liquid rubber/latex substance

[37] Shape Shift: Touch Group, Any Shape. (base 25) Affects Body Only, Not Worn or Carried Objects (-0). 0 END (+1/2)

[27] Desolidification (40 active points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2). [shapeshift out of the way of an attack, allow an attack to pass right through her, jump off a building and go 'splat' and gather self back together.] END cost: 4 END/Phase

[40] No Internal Organs: Life Support: Self-contained breathing, diminished eating (once/week, rubber), diminished sleep (8 h/wk), no aging, all immunities, Safe Environments (Low Pressure, High Pressure)

[35] Stretching, 2", (base 10), 0 END (+1/2) (15), plus Stretching, 4", normal END (base 20, END cost: up to 2 END/Phase)

[15] "Tar baby": Clinging, normal STR (base 10), Damage Shield (+1/2)

[20] Healing, 1d6, Regeneration (1 BODY/Turn) (10), Can Heal Limbs (+5), Resurrection (base 35); 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (active 70); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -1 3/4), Self Only (-1/2), Limit (Requires a source of rubber-like material to absorb/"eat", -1/4) (real 20)

[4] Double-Jointed

[1] Skill: Lockpicking (DEX roll) (base 3), Only Versus Mechanical Key Locks (-1)

[3] Skill: Acrobatics [for bouncing off walls, stretching an arm around a flagpole, etc]

[3] Skill: Contortionist

[3] Skill: Sleight of Hand

Disads: Total 100

[15] Distinctive Features: Classic "furry girl", with large round ears, small muzzle, fur, and tail, made of rubber. Concealable (with major effort), Major Reaction

[15] Physical Limitation: Infreq, Fully. Subject to certain limitations of being rubber; eg, in cold temperatures, will stiffen up, possibly freezing solid; in the heat, will start dripping and drooping, possibly even melting into a puddle.

This is truly' date=' truly frightening in that I've been trying to stat up a similar character for a while now, off-and-on. The hard part was coming up with the character origin without getting into some weird territory.[/quote']

Like the Flubber remake? ;)

In case anyone's curious - I finally got from the GM the point limits for the game to build Mousie to: 150 base + 100 disadvantage. This required... a somewhat different approach to building her powers than I'd been fiddling with, concentrating more on shaving points than character fulfillment.

::snip::

[27] Desolidification (40 active points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2). [shapeshift out of the way of an attack, allow an attack to pass right through her, jump off a building and go 'splat' and gather self back together.] END cost: 4 END/Phase

Hate to break it to you, but the rules say that a Desolid character who hits the ground and either choses to exercise the "force of will" to stop, or has no choice because of a limitation like "Cannot Pass Though Solid Objects", takes falling damage normally.

Link.

Hate to break it to you, but the rules say that a Desolid character who hits the ground and either choses to exercise the "force of will" to stop, or has no choice because of a limitation like "Cannot Pass Though Solid Objects", takes falling damage normally.

Link.

Well, just in case the GM this character was proposed to does use that interpretation of the rules... that's why I added 'resurrection' to her Healing. :)

Oh, and feel free to suggest any alternate methods to build this powerset within the 150+100 campaign starting point limit...

Might need to multiple-harden that PD Force Wall' date=' unless you want the character to take full damage from falling on something that is sharp and pointy enough to count as Penetrating (and Armor Piercing).[/quote']

Not necessarily. A rubber ball that lands on a sharp, pointy thing could easily stick instead of bouncing.

Like the Flubber remake? ;)

That was one of the thoughts, yes. Not the most disturbing, though, but I can't get into it on a family-friendly board.

Actually, since it's a quasi-related matter ... for a character visibly made out of an insulative (is that a word?) material, would you permit the Visible limitation on Damage Reduction, only vs. Electricity, simply because it's blindingly obvious that you can't electrocute someone like that? Just opinion-trolling. :)

That was one of the thoughts' date=' yes. Not the most disturbing, though, but I can't get into it on a family-friendly board.[/quote']

PM me. :eg:

Actually' date=' since it's a quasi-related matter ... for a character visibly made out of an insulative (is that a word?) material, would you permit the Visible limitation on Damage Reduction, only vs. Electricity, simply because it's blindingly obvious that you can't electrocute someone like that? Just opinion-trolling. :)[/quote']

That's a very good idea! I think it is entirely allowable, just like Armor - Visible (made of Organic Steel) is fine. Insulative.

Mousie is on top of a building' date=' and wants to get to the bottom post-haste to catch up with somebody down there. Mousie jumps off building. Mousie falls at full speed. Mousie goes 'splat' on the ground, resembling post-fall Humpty Dumpty. Mousie shortly gathers her wits and pulls herself back together, none the worse for wear, and resumes the chase.[/quote']

Last time I ran a shapeshifter' date=' I used Damage Reduction for the effect described here: the special effect is that his amorphous body got pushed out of shape instead of taking damage.[/quote']

Another possibility is a 30 PD Force Wall (2" length to englobe you)' date=' trigger (right before I hit the ground), self only. That should be a similar effect to the Damage Reduction that's been suggested, except that it probably has a better chance of preventing you from taking roughly 7d6 points of falling damage (the remaining 25%). Maybe it could be a variable trigger, for other "huge impact" types of scenarios (incoming truck, meteor, Grond, and so on). I might give it lockout, too, but it seems unnecessary since being in a force wall prevents you from acting outside of it, anyway.[/quote']

::snip::

[37] Shape Shift: Touch Group, Any Shape. (base 25) Affects Body Only, Not Worn or Carried Objects (-0). 0 END (+1/2)

Not necessarily. A rubber ball that lands on a sharp' date=' pointy thing could easily stick instead of bouncing.[/quote']

Which I can see easily happening. And by "stick", I presume that equals "takes damage". But IMO this delves into the distinction between the "rubber-guy" and "goo-guy" Special Effects. Rubber is resilient, and can be pushed out of shape -- to an extent. But past that extent, rubber tends to tear and doesn't return to it's original shape. A "goo-guy" is able to litterally splat into a wafer-thin puddle and reform himself.

For example, Odo from DS9 is what I'd call a Goo-Guy. Same with the T100 from Terminator 2. Though I can't think of any Rubber-Guys that do not tread on Goo-Guy territory.

To me, a goo guy can fully claim the F/X of "flowing out of the way of an attack" or "go splat and pull myself back together". A rubber guy cannot deform to the same extent, expecially for things that cut/stap, and has less ability to reform undamaged afterwards.

So IMO Rubber-Guy falling onto a bed of sharp nails will likely stick and take some damage from them (less than a normal body would, of course) -- but a true Goo-Guy would, when falling onto the same bed, just flow around the sharp bits, impacting the blunt ground between them and going splat (which is no big deal for him).

Which I can see easily happening. And by "stick", I presume that equals "takes damage". But IMO this delves into the distinction between the "rubber-guy" and "goo-guy" Special Effects. Rubber is resilient, and can be pushed out of shape -- to an extent. But past that extent, rubber tends to tear and doesn't return to it's original shape. A "goo-guy" is able to litterally splat into a wafer-thin puddle and reform himself.

etc.

Right, but there's a continuous spectrum between "rubber guy" and "goo guy". Ranging from:

water

Karo syrup

"Slime"

Jell-O

gel (shoe insoles and wrist pads and stretchy toys)

soft rubber (balloons, condoms)

medium rubber (shoe soles, basketballs)

hard rubber (tires)

Some of those will take damage from landing on nails and some won't, and some will take all the damage, and some will be partially immune and take a lesser amount of damage. Some will bounce high, some will bounce low, some won't bounce at all.

Right, but there's a continuous spectrum between "rubber guy" and "goo guy". Ranging from:

water

Karo syrup

"Slime"

Jell-O

gel (shoe insoles and wrist pads and stretchy toys)

soft rubber (balloons, condoms)

medium rubber (shoe soles, basketballs)

hard rubber (tires)

Some of those will take damage from landing on nails and some won't, and some will take all the damage, and some will be partially immune and take a lesser amount of damage. Some will bounce high, some will bounce low, some won't bounce at all.

Reading that last bit gave me Cat-in-the-Hat flashbacks for some reason...

Anyway, if one presumes that the entire body of the character (excluding surface stuff like hair) is uniformly one substance, the dividing line is this:

If it were just a pile/tub of that substance, can you remove some of that substance, and then when placed back where it came from, does it reform into a single mass again?

Using that guideline (you don't have to -- it's just where I happen to draw the division), I get:

Category   F/X
Goo        water
Goo        Karo syrup
Goo        "Slime"
Goo        Jell-O
Goo(?*)    gel (shoe insoles and wrist pads and stretchy toys)
Rubber     soft rubber (balloons, condoms)
Rubber     medium rubber (shoe soles, basketballs)
Rubber     hard rubber (tires)

* The gel stuff inside these things I'm not sure of, as I've never cut one open. If one cuts open the container and the gel oozes/squirts out, it's a Goo. If it's essentially a very mushy but solid piece, it's Rubber.

But by this point in the discussion I'm probably striking a living-challenged equine by making these distinctions. :)

My point was, I don't think there's a clear dividing line between "goo" and "rubber". It's a continuous scale. At some point, you take no damage, at some other point, you take partial damage, at some other point, you take full damage (perhaps different levels of Damage Reduction). And at a hard enough "rubber" point, you start to be protected from the damage due to the hardness of the substance (resistant PD).

My point was' date=' I don't think there's a clear dividing line between "goo" and "rubber". It's a continuous scale. At some point, you take no damage, at some other point, you take partial damage, at some other point, you take full damage (perhaps different levels of Damage Reduction). And at a hard enough "rubber" point, you start to be protected from the damage due to the hardness of the substance (resistant PD).[/quote']

This has to be the most entertaining surreal discussion I've ever seen on this, or indeed any, forum. By all means, continue. :)

Re: if you have ranged on your missle reflection, you can play ping-pong with yoursel

I think you need missle reflection for that.

No ammount of missile deflection will affect the planet... because you are the missile. The planet deflects you, not the other way around. :)

I've used various methods to get around going splatter when falling, generally as a defensive mechanism Only While Unconscious with zero-accelleration & turn factor midifiers (under 4e rules), or Zero Relative Velocity under 5e.

Alternatively you can purchase several inches of KB resistance with the Only to counter falling damage limiter... or not. I can see your latex char having a generalized degree of KB resistance without falling limiters because he just deforms when struck.