Yet Another Build Question: rubber-morph going splat

DataPacRat

Re: Yet Another Build Question: rubber-morph going splat

For example' date=' Odo from DS9 is what I'd call a Goo-Guy. Same with the T100 from Terminator 2. Though I can't think of any Rubber-Guys that do not tread on Goo-Guy territory.[/quote']

LSH Bouncing Boy comes to mind, maybe New Warriors' Speedball.

The original post states the character, "gathers her wits and pulls herself back together, none the worse for wear, and resumes the chase." The builds I've seen make the character resistant, if not immune, to the fall damage, and then she just rushes off. Any ideas on how to add time to the "gathers her wits and pulls herself back together," part?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LSH Bouncing Boy comes to mind' date=' maybe New Warriors' Speedball.[/quote']

Bouncing Boy usually only 'bounces' if he is not knocked out; if he hits something so hard that it knocks him out he reverts back to his non-inflated form.

Speedball is different in that he is virtually indestructible but is not always in control of the direction of his 'bounces'.

Killer Shrike has a very good writeup of the character on his site:

Speedball

The original post states the character, "gathers her wits and pulls herself back together, none the worse for wear, and resumes the chase." The builds I've seen make the character resistant, if not immune, to the fall damage, and then she just rushes off. Any ideas on how to add time to the "gathers her wits and pulls herself back together," part?

I don't understand your question. The builds presented so far are HERO ways to accomplish the stated effect. "Gathers her wits and..." sounds exactly like getting stunned but not knocked out (a very HERO concept).

I've never seen Knockback Resistance used in such a way -- IMO because falling is not knockback.

True.

Depending on how the character defines both.

With this fellow, let's say, falling and knockback are the same... he takes damage from hitting things on his way from point A (rooftop or impact) to point B (wall, ground, car, ect ect). Falling is nothing more than vertical KB, after all.

Lets say that the KB resistance does not prevent the KB from moving him, it only mitigates the damage he takes by striking obstacles. Pretty much the same as if he jumped from a building and went splat.

The Inches of KB resistance become Dice of damage reduction, but no 'only to resist KB/Falling damage' limiter since it's already specific to that damage type. Since KB resist is only 2 points per inch I would actually think making this use of it as a damage reduction mechanic an adder at +1/2 to make its cost equitable to rD.

One of the earliest games I played with this system the party blaster had this... He was, litterally, a featherweight. He took double KB from every attack, but also had KB resistance to reduce the damage he took by hitting things, not to prevent how far he flew. The schtic was his way of getting away from the primary combat zone by letting his enemies push him away.

He still ended up stunned by KB quite often because of the Double KB disad, though.

True.

With this fellow, let's say, falling and knockback are the same... he takes damage from hitting things on his way from point A (rooftop or impact) to point B (wall, ground, car, ect ect). Falling is nothing more than vertical KB, after all.

That's a game-world mechanics decision, which like all game-world mechanics decisions, rests squarely in the hands of the GM, not an individual player.

But for the sake of the discussion, I'll follow along. :)

Lets say that the KB resistance does not prevent the KB from moving him' date=' it only mitigates the damage he takes by striking obstacles.[/quote']

How is this any different that PD/PD Armor/Damage Reduction with "Only Vs Knockback Damage"? Would your use of KB Resistance also mitigate the damage done to an object or person he was knocked back/fell into/onto?

Pretty much the same as if he jumped from a building and went splat.

The Inches of KB resistance become Dice of damage reduction, but no 'only to resist KB/Falling damage' limiter since it's already specific to that damage type. Since KB resist is only 2 points per inch I would actually think making this use of it as a damage reduction mechanic an adder at +1/2 to make its cost equitable to rD.

Then why not just buy rPD? It's good that you are including a cost comparison in considering this power, but I know of no adder/advantage "just to make it's cost more 'balanced'".

Knockback Resistance reduced both the inches traveled and the amount of damage done by Knockback. Knockback Resistance is listed as a Special Power/Defensive Power, so it's possible that the damage reduction is a seperate function of the power and not just a result of the reduced distance.

Since it can be advantageous to receive the inches of knockback without the damage, IMO any Limitation that removes the reduction on knockback distance would be a -0 Limitation. Note that even if the character has enough Knockback Resistance of this kind to not take any damage from knockback, he still winds up prone.

He fell on a bullet... honest, doc, I swear that's how it happened!

No ammount of missile deflection will affect the planet... because you are the missile. The planet deflects you' date=' not the other way around. :)[/quote']

A-ha! So you can defeat Missle Deflection by throwing the target into the bullets!

Re: He fell on a bullet... honest, doc, I swear that's how it happened!

A-ha! So you can defeat Missle Deflection by throwing the target into the bullets!

:slap:

On a related note ...

How much shapeshift would one need to do the 'topological shift' that an elastic character can do? Not really shapeshift ... more like molding.

True.

Lets say that the KB resistance does not prevent the KB from moving him, it only mitigates the damage he takes by striking obstacles. Pretty much the same as if he jumped from a building and went splat.

One of the earliest games I played with this system the party blaster had this... He was, litterally, a featherweight. He took double KB from every attack, but also had KB resistance to reduce the damage he took by hitting things, not to prevent how far he flew. The schtic was his way of getting away from the primary combat zone by letting his enemies push him away.

He still ended up stunned by KB quite often because of the Double KB disad, though.

Actually, I'd never thought of KB resistance that way.... I'd allow it as a GM. Knockback Resistance (Character still goes flying: -0). Results in the character going flying and ending up prone, but only takes damage from knockback beyond his resistance. I wouldn't allow this to prevent damage from falling, but it's an interesting idea for a rubbery character, or a character who is invulnerable, but also petite.

Re: He fell on a bullet... honest, doc, I swear that's how it happened!

:slap:

On a related note ...

How much shapeshift would one need to do the 'topological shift' that an elastic character can do? Not really shapeshift ... more like molding.

Depends upon how different the topology being molded is. At the basis, it'd be Shape Shift Touch Group, Any Shape. If needed for more "extreme" shapes, one could add Stretching, Growth, Shrinking, and/or Desolidification.

BTWE it's two words -- Shape Shift -- not one. :)