Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

Chris Goodwin

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

I haven't seen magic knights or uresia yet.

The UResia supplemement is very difficult to find now, which is a darned shame as it was a very interesting setting. Many of the things in the setting are quite funny, such as the Gods of Cookery (chefs so skilled that they can work magic of sorts with food) and the story of King Timberfell (a displaced letch from 20th century Japan who blundered his way onto the throne of one of the most powerful kingdoms in the world).

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

Ok guys, this thread has been teasing me for years. Can somebody please write this book now and get it published. Kickstart it if need be. PDF only, I don't care. Just do it. Pretty please. This thread is awesome.

Well, I'd think the first thing to do would be to gather up the disparate bits of Hero stuff that'd be relevant--the old Robot Warriors book, and maybe the one supplement if anyone has it; the stuff on Mecha in Ultimate Vehicle; any other material covering similar stuff(Star Hero excerpts?)--and then copy/write down/adapt everything relevant. Then you'd have to organize the book. Stuff like Mecha-as-powerarmor, Mecha-as-vehicles, Mecha-as-multiform(Ultraman, Power Rangers).

Mainly, though, I'd probably want a very large "sample writeups" section, covering a wide variety of mecha types--Gundam, Macross, Votoms, Gurren Lagan, Voltron-types, Ogre/Bolo/Hammer's Slammers, utility mecha--and weapon systems--railguns, autocannon, particle beam weapons, lasers, missile systems, etc.

Probably numbering in the dozens.

I think I agree. The more examples, the better. Write-up for mecha from the 10-15 most popular anime titles would be very helpful (serial numbers filed off of course). These can be reverse engineered to create mecha from the more obscure or lesser known titles. This is all relative of course, I'm sure there are many popular mecha designs that I've never heard of.

As for new rules...that's tricky. I wish I could have a sneak peak at next years Vehicle Guide to see what SL is working on. I'm waiting for CyberHero to come out before I spend serious amounts of time on my version of an Eclipse Phase conversion.

Final note: I have both Robot Warriors and it's suppliment (Gurps 3rd Mecha also for ideas). If I can obtain the right permissions, I can send you any sections that you need.

And no knock against the planned release schedule, but I would personally rather see this book released rather than Victorian Hero. Heck I'd rather have an updated Dark Champions or Pulp Hero than VicHero but now I'm just ranting.

Well' date=' I'd think the first thing to do would be to gather up the disparate bits of Hero stuff that'd be relevant--the old Robot Warriors book, and maybe the one supplement if anyone has it; the stuff on Mecha in Ultimate Vehicle; any other material covering similar stuff(Star Hero excerpts?)--and then copy/write down/adapt everything relevant. Then you'd have to organize the book. Stuff like Mecha-as-powerarmor, Mecha-as-vehicles, Mecha-as-multiform(Ultraman, Power Rangers). [/quote']

This is pretty much a given.

Mainly, though, I'd probably want a very large "sample writeups" section, covering a wide variety of mecha types--Gundam, Macross, Votoms, Gurren Lagan, Voltron-types, Ogre/Bolo/Hammer's Slammers, utility mecha--and weapon systems--railguns, autocannon, particle beam weapons, lasers, missile systems, etc.

Probably numbering in the dozens.

Agreed. LOTS of sample writeups should be included. Enough in fact, to get a campaign up and running if need be. In fact, there is nothing preventing us from posting sample writeups in this thread for example. HINT. Post something!

The absolute best (well, it's my favorite. Actually one of my all time favorites of any genre) is The Vision of Escaflowne. This fantasy-mecha anime is excellent from beginning to end. This one is a must have. The battles are spectacular, the story is engaging, the characters interesting (especially the villains) and the mecha gorgeous.

There is also:

Magic Knight Rayearth: Jr. High school girls from the modern world get transported to a magical fantasy realm where they are turned into Fantasy Magical Girls who battle evil with their magically powered "Machina". The hodgepodge of characters that appears in this anime is pretty interesting. Great source of inspiration for crazy (yet cool) NPC's to throw at PC's.

Maze: A girl wakes up in a fantasy realm with much of her memory lost. She meets a plethora of fantasy weirdos (of course) and adventures ensue. The weirdest thing however is at night she turns into a guy. Kinda the opposite of Ranma 1/2 (where Ranma is a guy who turns into a girl). Oh and it also has magically powered mecha called Demi-Armor.

Aura Battler Dunbine: The original Fantasy Mecha Anime, this one came out in the wake of the GUNDAM craze and it follows that formula pretty closely. Which means lots of melodrama and political intrigue amidst the backdrop of a war. Magical powered mecha called Aura Battlers rule the day. These mecha are bio-mechanical and resemble insects in their design aesthetics. Of course, the pilots with the best "Aura" to power the Battlers are humans from Earth.....

The Five Star Stories: This is more of a Science/Fantasy story than a pure Fantasy tale. Technology abounds, but the political scene is very feudalistic in nature and the very atmosphere is that of a high tech medieval culture. The mecha they pilot called Mortar Headds require special pilots called Headdliners which are the descendants of genetically altered supersoldiers, are so powerful that they have become the premier weapon of war on the battlefield. The anime only goes into a small portion of what the manga has covered, which is brilliant. My username belongs to a character from this tale.

The Rayearth opening brought back memories. GREAT memories.

Rayearth was CLAMP's breakthrough series, the one that first got them the feature spot in the most popular of shoujo magazines, Nakayosi (they shared the honor with Nakeo Takeuchi's Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon). Mecha were an important part of the series once the end of the first storyarc approached and featured prominently in the second (where a space-faring nation attempted to invade what remained of Chephiro with a fleet of mecha).

The Machin were largely self-directing -- once they were awakened the girls required very little training if any to use them effectively in combat. The machin determined what they wanted within reason and carried it out. (Another side benefit was that the machin corrected the eyesight of one of the girls who wore glasses outside the mech).

In Hero terms this would mean that, unlike many mecha designs, a Combat Piloting skill roll is not required for maneuvers. And combat advantages such s skill levels that the characters posess also apply to the mecha. It also helped that the mecha did not have ranged attacks in this case, mainly going after each other with mech-sized melee weapons. (That's another similarity with the Escaflowne mecha, although those mechs DO require substantial piloting skill to use at all, much less gain advantage from).

That acualy seems semi-common in mecha anime. Some explnation why the rather new hero dosen't requier years of study to pilot the mecha. In Rayearth, it is that the mecha are semi-intelagent. In Gundum, it's a psychic mutation ("Newtype"). In Eva, it is that the soul of the bio-mechanical beast are the mothers of the pilots (except for the first and fourth child, but that would be telling secrets out of school).

That should be adressed in Mecha Hero.

That acualy seems semi-common in mecha anime. Some explnation why the rather new hero dosen't requier years of study to pilot the mecha. In Rayearth, it is that the mecha are semi-intelagent. In Gundum, it's a psychic mutation ("Newtype"). In Eva, it is that the soul of the bio-mechanical beast are the mothers of the pilots (except for the first and fourth child, but that would be telling secrets out of school).

That should be addressed in Mecha Hero.

Frequently it is also the case that the most heroic pilots happen to have a gift for that sort of thing (whether they wanted one or not) and can learn to pilot mecha very quickly. And a lot of anime mecha have neural interfaces of one variety or another that speed the process of converting the pilot's thoughts into action. But only certain people have the ability to latch onto those interfaces -- maybe it's a natural talent, although sometimes pilots get minor surgery or nanotechnology treatments to set up the interface.

I think there's a few basic "size classes" in typical mecha anime/fiction. 2m,4m, 8m, 16m, 32m, 64m, 128m, 250m, pretty much corresponding to the old Robot Warriors Size Classes. The only ones I can think of in the largest category are Gunbuster and maybe the Evangelion suits. Maybe that's "super kaiju" scale. 32m might be "junior kaiju" scale. I think most of the major mecha anime feature mechs in the 8m and 16m classes.

Talking about cross-genra nightmairs' date=' can anyone think of a mecha show with horor elements to it? (Well, it IS october)[/quote']

Blue Gender, among others. Maybe Evangelion in some ways--the "Angels" are pretty horrific.

Talking about cross-genra nightmairs' date=' can anyone think of a mecha show with horor elements to it? (Well, it IS october)[/quote']

I too would go with Evangelion. Any show in which the end of the world can only be described as a blessed relief qualifies as horror.

Fight! Iczer-1 and Adventure! Iczer-3. (though Iczer-3 much less than Iczer-1. Iczer-1 is the prototypical Mecha/horror crossover)

Blue Gender (as mentioned above)

M.D. Geist 1 and 2

Blassreiter.

Straight Jacket

Gantz (they have form fitting muscle suits. Not sure if this counts for mecha)

Gantz (they have form fitting muscle suits. Not sure if this counts for mecha)

Well, it does, but on the tecnicalitie of anything mechanical is 'mecha'. If we go with the 'giant robot', then it does not qualifie.

Would that mean Kurass would also be out of the running?

• 7 months later...