Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

Chris Goodwin

Re: Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

I'm playing World of Tanks moderately obsessively lately, and I kinda like the way they "rank" the tanks--there are 5 vehicle categories--SPGs, Tank Destroyers, and light, medium and heavy tanks--and 10 tiers, from lowest to highest/most powerful/capable. You could probably do something like that for mecha, too.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

I think there's a few basic "size classes" in typical mecha anime/fiction. 2m' date='4m, 8m, 16m, 32m, 64m, 128m, 250m, pretty much corresponding to the old Robot Warriors Size Classes. The only ones I can think of in the largest category are Gunbuster and maybe the Evangelion suits. Maybe that's "super kaiju" scale. 32m might be "junior kaiju" scale. I think most of the major mecha anime feature mechs in the 8m and 16m classes.[/quote']

Other mecha in the "kaiju" scale are the individual mechas that had their own anime series back in the

late '70s and early '80s, of which three were chosen by Marvel Comics for the Shogun Warriors comic

(Combatra-V and Raideen are the only ones of the three whose names I can remember), not to mention

the Giant Robot from the live-action series Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot that ran over in Japan

even earlier than that.

There's at least one other "kaiju"-scale mecha that I can think of, but I've got to do some research to

make sure that it's the one I'm thinking of before I mention it here.

As for the 16m size class goes, the closest mecha that I can think of that's near that size are the various

Gundams that have appeared over the last 30 to 40 years (yes, it's at least that old; the various incarn-

ations of the show are essentially the anime equivalent of Star Trek). They're actually in the 18m range,

with some of them being larger or smaller depending on the paricular series and where it's set (I think

that the smallest Gundams are the ones that were featured in the robot vs. robot version of the show,

and which had names like Dragon Gundam and Nobel Gundam -- the latter of which looked like it belonged

in Sailor Moon).

Major Tom 2009 :dyn

Minus 26 and counting...

Other mecha in the "kaiju" scale are the individual mechas that had their own anime series back in the

late '70s and early '80s, of which three were chosen by Marvel Comics for the Shogun Warriors comic

(Combatra-V and Raideen are the only ones of the three whose names I can remember), not to mention

the Giant Robot from the live-action series Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot that ran over in Japan

This is exactly the sort of mecha show Martian Successor Nadesico satirized in the ongoing show-within-a-show Gekiganger III. The "bad guy" side had built their entire view of the Universe around the series, which they saw as a sort of holy writ.

Thanks, Greywind.

The other mecha show that I was trying to think of last night was Hades Project Zeorymer (which I

suspect was the mecha equivalent of "five-team" anime shows like Saint Seiya or Yoroiden Samurai

Troopers [that last is Ronin Warriors for those of us who've seen the westernized version of it], in

that the characters all have attack powers that are stronger than they actually need to be).

The robot-versus-robot version of Gundam that I'd mentioned in that same post was called Mobile

Fighter G-Gundam.

Major Tom 2009 :dyn

Minus 25 and counting...

If such a book could even explain how to handle Gurren Lagann, it would be an instant buy for me.

Granted the main hurdle there involves massive power increases at pivotal plot points. HERO, for all its strengths, its not particularly well-suited to sudden character redesigns like that. Not RAW anyway, or at least IME.

Thanks, Greywind.

The other mecha show that I was trying to think of last night was Hades Project Zeorymer (which I

suspect was the mecha equivalent of "five-team" anime shows like Saint Seiya or Yoroiden Samurai

Troopers [that last is Ronin Warriors for those of us who've seen the westernized version of it], in

that the characters all have attack powers that are stronger than they actually need to be).

Hades Project: Zeorymer is nothing like Saint Seiya (watching Omega via Crunchyroll), Samurai Troopers or other Sentai shows. The mecha do have special attacks and whatnot, but Zeorymer is a lot more dark and serious than those aforementioned shows. It's actually quite different from other mecha shows of its time and does the whole depressing, angsty, dark, hoplessness thing long before Evangelion made it popular. I own a copy on VHS, though I would love to own it on DVD. Haven't seen it in years. I would like to revisit it.

]

http://www.gearsonline.net/series/fivestarstories/mh/internalmh/mortarheadstructure.html

The above link will take you to an article on a website that specializes in mecha discussion. The article in question is the Internal Structure of Mortar Headd article originally printed in Smoke Walls, an art book for the manga Five Star Stories. It goes in to great detail about the inner workings of Mortar Headds (what mecha are called in FSS) and is a very interesting read for those interested in the construction of mecha. I highly suggest taking a look at it.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

I'd like to see an in-depth hit location and result chart that is specific to the body parts of a mech and its pilot.

I liked the old battletech so I guess I'd prefer mech creation and combat rules that, while based on HERO, are a bit more... crunchy.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

I'd like to see an in-depth hit location and result chart that is specific to the body parts of a mech and its pilot.

I liked the old battletech so I guess I'd prefer mech creation and combat rules that, while based on HERO, are a bit more... crunchy.

I hated Battletech.

Back when Battletech was popular, I was a HUGE anime/mecha nut (still am, but was RAGING back then). I wanted to simulate mecha anime, and Battletech just didn't do it for me. Battlemechs were slow, clunky and extremely limited in what they could do and how long they could do it (that whole heat debacle) and they absolutely did not perform like Veritechs, or Gundams or Mortar Headds or any other Japanese mecha. Imagine my pleasure when I discovered Robot Warriors, which had mecha that did perform like the one's on the shows I watched. Mekton, which I discovered almost at the same time I found Robot Warriors also did a great job, but nothing I have played capture the feel moreso than Robot Warriors did...

• 2 weeks later...

I hated Battletech.

Back when Battletech was popular, I was a HUGE anime/mecha nut (still am, but was RAGING back then). I wanted to simulate mecha anime, and Battletech just didn't do it for me. Battlemechs were slow, clunky and extremely limited in what they could do and how long they could do it (that whole heat debacle) and they absolutely did not perform like Veritechs, or Gundams or Mortar Headds or any other Japanese mecha. Imagine my pleasure when I discovered Robot Warriors, which had mecha that did perform like the one's on the shows I watched. Mekton, which I discovered almost at the same time I found Robot Warriors also did a great job, but nothing I have played capture the feel moreso than Robot Warriors did...

BattleTech is still popular.

Re: Bibliography

Seriously, it's 15 bucks for a full size 300 page PDF. I've done it with a number of PDF only games I have.

So yea, seriously. Get over yourself.

Print or PDF is irrelevant. Mr. Long has no interest in mecha genre, so unless he has a change of heart, it will never receive official Hero Games backing. And as far as a third party company doing a kickstarter or something, there isn't enough interest in mecha gaming anymore to produce the funds. (And those who still do mecha gaming already have their go-to system)

Certainly this could be a fan-made project, where concerned gamers come together to develop their own .pdf, but I don't see this happening anytime soon. I'd have done long ago if it wasn't for Real Life getting in the way (those darned things called a career. What pains they are)

Get over myself you say. Bah humbug I say back!

It is?

Aside from occasional updates to the PC games, I haven't heard/seen anyone talking about the game in years. Since the 90's I think.

Every year at DunDraCon, there's a few groups of grognards over in the corner playing BattleTech.