Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

4 +2 PER with Sight Group

Perks

1 Fringe Benefit: Published author

5 Contact: Baker street Irregulars (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 12-

2 Contact: Scotland Yard Detectives (Contact has access to major institutions) 8-

Notes: Inspector Lestrade, Tobias Gregson, Stanley Hopkins, Alec MacDonald, and Athelney (or Peter) Jones

9 Base: 221 B Baker Street

3 Bases: various Safe Houses

5 Money: Well Off

2 Reputation: Brilliant consulting detective (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

Talents

6 Skill Master (+3 with Disguise)

Notes: Has developed methods for increasing and decreasing height byl inches for prolonged periods of time.

Skills

0 Language: English (basic conversation)

1 Language: Latin (basic conversation)

4 KS: Latin: vocabulary 13-

1 Language: Greek (Classical) (basic conversation)

2 KS: Greek, classical: vocabulary 11-

2 Language: French (fluent conversation)

1 Language: German (basic conversation)

3 Scholar

4 PS: Violinist 13-

3 KS: Instrument: Violin 12-

4 KS: Music 13-

2 PS: Chemist 11-

6 SS: Chemistry 15-

3 KS: Poisons 12-

3 KS: Opiates and other psychoactive drugs 12-

5 KS: Tobacco 14-

3 KS: Classic literature: Bible, Shakespeare 12-

3 KS: Politics: European notables, 19th century 12-

3 Analyze: Interaction Skills 14-

3 Acting 12-

3 Disguise 14-

6 +2 with any three related Skills Analyze / Acting / Disguise

5 PS: Consulting Detective 16-

Notes: INT based skill

5 KS: Trained Observer 16-

Notes: INT based skill

9 Deduction 17-

3 Forensic Medicine 14-

3 Criminology 14-

3 Cryptography 14-

3 +1 : Forensic / Criminology / Cryptography

6 KS: History: Crime, 19th century 15-

3 KS: Law: British, 19th century 12-

4 SS: Geology: Soils 13-

4 SS: Anthropology 13-

4 SS: Psychology 13-

3 SS: Ballistics 12-

5 Shadowing 15-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

3 +1 : Shadow / Streetwise / Stealth

7 AK: City: London, 19th century 16-

5 Tracking 15-

3 Sleight Of Hand 12-

0 WF: Clubs

1 WF: Blades

1 WF: Handguns

15 +3 CSL: HTH Combat

Boxing: oen hand

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Martial Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 6 1/2d6 Strike

4 Counterstrike +2 +2 4 1/2d6 Strike, Must Follow Block

4 Shove +0 +0 28 STR to Shove

1 Weapon Element: Blades

Singlestick / Fencing: weapon

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Weapon Bind +1 +0 Bind, 23 STR

4 Martial Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 23 STR to Disarm roll

4 Killing Strike -2 +0 HKA 2 DC

-12 Scholar Offset

Total Characteristic Cost: 72

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 221

Total Cost: 293

75+ Disadvantages

20 Psychological Limitation: Fascination with the macabre (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Hunts Criminal Enterprise (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protects / Trusts Dr. James H. Watson (Common, Strong)

10 Rivalry: Professional (brother: Mycroft Holmes; Rival is More Powerful; Seek to Outdo; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

5 Physical Limitation: 7% Solution Addiction (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

153 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 65

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Elementary, My Dear Watson

I've never done Holmes and Watson myself, nor do I know of anyone who has, but I do have a couple of thoughts:

1) As you say, Holmes would be the Master Detective, with plenty of PER and plenty of Deduction. At the beginning of his career those would be his main abilities, plus copious Disguise and Mimicry and a few Science Skills, appropriate Contacts, and so forth.

He should also have Martial Arts consisting of at least boxing and some Jujutsu. And if I remember right, maybe he can have a Physical Limitation of "Incredibly Bad Shot"? I seem to recall that for all his pulp hero-esque skill levels, he was a lousy marksman.

He should also have Martial Arts consisting of at least boxing and some Jujutsu. And if I remember right' date=' maybe he can have a Physical Limitation of "Incredibly Bad Shot"? I seem to recall that for all his pulp hero-esque skill levels, he was a lousy marksman.[/quote']

I think he has the boxing maneuvers, and three levels with HTH.

As to the "Incredibly Bad Shot"... There are only three cites to Holmes actually firing a gun in canon, and Watson never really speaks to his abilities with it.

"Even as we looked he [the islander] plucked out from under his covering a short, round piece of wood, like a school-ruler, and clapped it to his lips. Our pistols rang out together. He whirled round, threw up his arms, and with a kind of choking cough fell sideways into the stream." (Sign of Four)

"Then Holmes and I both fired together, and the creature gave a hideous howl, which showed that one at least had hit him… But the next instant Holmes had emptied five barrels of his revolver into the creature's flank. With a last howl of agony and a vicious snap in the air, it rolled upon its back, four feet pawing furiously, and then fell limp upon its side. I stooped, panting, and pressed my pistol to the dreadful, shimmering head, but it was useless to press the trigger. The giant hound was dead." (Hound of the Baskervilles)

"I have always held, too, that pistol practice should be distinctly an open-air pastime; and when Holmes, in one of his queer humors, would sit in an arm-chair with his hair-trigger and a hundred Boxer cartridges, and proceed to adorn the opposite wall with a patriotic V. R. done in bullet-pocks, I felt strongly that neither the atmosphere nor the appearance of our room was improved by it." (Musgrave Ritual)

Monster - I have seen "Giants", but it's been years.

Mary Ann, who tonight is being subjected to "The Purple Monster Strikes", which, admittedly, is extremely Pulp. :rolleyes:

The hero just answered a ringing phone in an apartment he was searching, which triggered a spiked gate to drop and the wall to start closing in on him, forcing him into the spikes. I should not let Rob watch these....

He should also have Martial Arts consisting of at least boxing and some Jujutsu. And if I remember right' date=' maybe he can have a Physical Limitation of "Incredibly Bad Shot"? I seem to recall that for all his pulp hero-esque skill levels, he was a lousy marksman.[/quote']

Nope. Just preferred to let Watson do it.

As much as I like Nigel Bruce's portrayal of Watson it isn't very like the Watson that I remember from the Conan Doyle stories. Remember that Watson had at least one adventure of his own ("The Adventure Of The Engineer's Thumb") or at least in which he sems to have played the major part' date=' and in which he displays some resourcefullness in getting himself out of trouble.[/quote']

Actually, in "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb" Watson's part is merely that of treating Mr. Victor Hatherley, and then taking him to Holmes (Watson being married at the time is why he's not living with Holmes), where Hatherley tells his story. Holmes gathers up Hatherley, Watson, Inspector Bradstreet of Scotland Yard, and an un-named "plain-clothes man" (also of Scotland Yard). All take the rainroad to Eyford, Berkshire, where Hatherley's odd "adventure" occured, etc. etc.

The resourcefulness should be credited to Mr. Victor Hatherley, not to Dr. Watson. ;)

Bat Logic is also fun.

The player is allowed to ask any single plot related question, once per game session, with a short, specific answer.

He then makes his deduction roll.

If he has a deduction of 18- or better, and he makes it by 10, the GM gives the player the short, specific answer to the question. But, for the Character to be able to use that answer, the Player must explain, in character, how the clues available led him to that conclusion.

Player: "OK, where is Birdface hiding? I'm using Bat Logic."

(Rolls his deduction skill: 12 on a 23-)

GM: "He's hiding in the abandoned lighthouse near Northpoint bay. Now, how did your character figure it out?"

Player (to the other players): "Birdface is obsessed with birds, and has been since his tragic plastic surgery accident! Birds like high places, places that let them see as much of the surrounding area as possible! See is a homonym of Sea, and birds fly North in the summer! It's July now! Northpoint bay has a tall old abandoned lighthouse, where you can see the city from the sea! That's where Birdface must be hiding!"

Other Player: "I need more beer."

I always liked Bat Logic! Good way to make a rule out of it and included in the game! :thumbup:

I think a good portion of this has been covered, so please forgive me if parts of the following are somewhat redundant.

"The late Irene Adler" — Watson quite often would not actually publish a story until some (if not all) of the people mentioned in it had died. That way, they could no longer be harmed by the story being made public.

"Well Off" — Holmes & Watson both start the series with small incomes (as mentioned by others, that's why they "go halves" to get the rooms on Baker Street). As the stories progress, though, certain cases paid quite handsomely. (A Study in Scarlet, for example, brought in £1,000.)

My collection of the stories is—at the moment—incomplete. If someone would be so kind as to double-check me on this one?

In the BBC version of The Priory School (Season 3 Episode 6 w/Brett & Hardwicke) the Duke of Holderness paid Holmes £12,000. (I know that at least it was £5,000 for the solution of the problem with an additional £1,000 for "seeing justice done," I am unsure if the Duke's doubling the amount at the end of the story is in the original, though.)

"Skills & Knowledges" — Short form: "Holmes knows a lot!" ;)

Sherlock Holmes — his limits (by Dr. John H. Watson, A Study in Scarlet):

1 — Knowledge of Literature — Nil

2 — Knowledge of Philosophy — Nil

3 — Knowledge of Astronomy — Nil

4 — Knowledge of Politics — Feeble

5 — Knowledge of Botany — Variable; well up in belladonna, opium, and poisons generally. Knows nothing of practical gardening.

6 — Knowledge of Geology — Practical, but limited. Tells at a glance different soils from each other; after walks he has shown me splashes on his trousers, and told me by their color and consistency in what part of London he had received them.

7 — Knowledge of Chemistry — Profound

8 — Knowledge of Anatomy — Accurate, but unsystematic.

9 — Knowledge of Sensational Literature — Immense. He appears to know every detail of every horror perpetrated in the century.

10 — Plays the violin well.

11 — Is an expert single-stick player, boxer, and swordsman.

12 — Has a good practical knowledge of British law.

When I had got so far in my list I threw it into the fire in despair.

Alas for us that Watson never finished the list, but (as has been mentioned by others) it makes for a good starting point.

Holmes has published a magazine article on the art of observation and analysis, monographs on several subjects, invented a new type of handcuff, and so on.

There is, of course, a huge amount of ground to cover, and much about Holmes & Watson is open to debate — which is what makes projects like this so much fun. :)

If I may permitted to dip into another game system for a moment, here are a few items from the write-up for Holmes in The Yorkshire Horrors adventure included in the boxed set Cthulhu by Gaslight (Chaosium, 1986):

Anthropology, Archeology, Botany, Camouflage, Chemistry, Criminal Literature, Conversation, Fam: Medicine, Disguise, TF: Carriages & Carts, Persuasion, Paramedics, Geology, Stealth, Climbing, Law, Library Research, Linguistics, Lockpicking, Cartography, Inventor, Oratory, Pharmacology, Sleight of Hand, Psychology, TF: Horse, Swimming, Tracking, Toxicology, Violinist, Zoology, Lang: Cornish. French, German, Latin, Greek, Phoenician/Chaldean, WF: Pistols, and Baritsu (Japanese wrestling).

All of the items on that list can be derived from the texts (I've had to rename a couple of them in Hero System terms). This same volume contains write-ups for Watson, Mycroft, Lestrade, Gregson, Hopkins, Prof. Moriarty, and Col. Moran.

The adventure also has a nice summary of Holmes's abilities, attitudes, and foibles:

It is difficult to list all skills and items of knowledge possessed by Holmes, since the writings of Dr. Watson are all that exist as a record, and these have been in error on occasion. Holmes is an encyclopedia of that knowledge he deems of use in his career as a consulting detective. For instance, he can recognize the type and brand of tobacco ash by close examination.

On occasions harsh and arrogant, on others courteous and kind, Holmes is clearly an eccentric. However, he is an extremely capable eccentric! Once on the scent of a crime, he relentlessly pursues it in spite of all obstacles. He considers himself the last court of appeal for many clients, and once declared he'd rather bend the laws of England than fail to see justice prevail. His sense of honor is high. Though he is a misogynist, Holmes is a perfect Victorian gentleman with the ladies, even if the fair sex holds little interest for him. He claims to abhor emotion, preferring to see things in the light of reason and pure rationality. Nonetheless, he is a loyal friend and companion to those he respects, particularly Dr. Watson. Holmes is, at times, quite insufferable! He has little respect or patience for incompetence, which he often finds rife in the official police. Periods of intense nervous energy are followed with those of ennui — a condition he deplores — indicating mild manic-depressive tendencies. Holmes always judges himself more harshly than he does others. On one occasion, upon overlooking a minor clue, he woke Watson up in the middle of the night in the double-bedded room in which both were staying:

"I say, Watson," he whispered, "would you be afraid to sleep in the same room as a lunatic, a man with softening of the brain, an idiot whose mind has lost its grip?"

"Not in the least," I answered with astonishment.

"Ah, that's lucky," he said, and not another word would he utter that night.

Holmes's personal characteristics are quite high. He once displayed incredible strength by unbending an iron poker bent by the infamous Dr. Grimsby Roylette. He can follow the trail of a case for days on end, shunning food and rest, indicating an iron constitution. While cadaverously tall and thin, Holmes's 6' 4" height enable him physically to tower over most of his contemporaries. His abilities of observation and deduction reveal one of the greatest minds of the century. While his education was unconventional, it included studies at Oxford or Cambridge (possibly both), medical classes at St. Bartholomew's in London, and independent research at the British Museum. Holmes is not a handsome man — his countenance is hawklike and cadaverous. His will power and charisma, however, are striking. [...]

Holmes is far from an expert revolver shot. However, this proves little handicap for him, for his standard practice in the use of the revolver is to sneak up next to his foe, then surprise him by clapping the gun next to his victim's head, accompanied by a demand for surrender.

Note: The material quoted above is from pages 45 & 46 of The Yorkshire Horrors written by William A. Barton and published by Chaosium in 1986 as part of the boxed set Cthulhu by Gaslight.

I hope that I've managed to include something useful in all of the above. Writing up characters like Holmes is a considerable task that appears to be going rather well so far.

:king:

I don't have enough of the material to attempt Holmes myself, though I do have all of the Fu-Manchu novels... hmmm... (That's another character who's seriously heavy on the skills.)

Marking this thread for later. :)

Writing up Holmes & Watson properly would require taking a week or two to read through the old Strand stories, but a quick version could be done with Pulp Hero package deals.

I wouldn't bother with Super Skills; 23 INT, 18- in Deduction and Criminology, Analyze: Body Language 14-, the rest of the detective type skills at 14-, a good selection of KS and SS at 14-, and 3 Overall Levels, plus the Extraordinary Skill Rules should do it.

I'd add Conversation, Oratory, Persuasion and Seduction to the mix.

"Well Off" — Holmes & Watson both start the series with small incomes (as mentioned by others, that's why they "go halves" to get the rooms on Baker Street). As the stories progress, though, certain cases paid quite handsomely. (A Study in Scarlet, for example, brought in £1,000.)

My collection of the stories is—at the moment—incomplete. If someone would be so kind as to double-check me on this one?

In the BBC version of The Priory School (Season 3 Episode 6 w/Brett & Hardwicke) the Duke of Holderness paid Holmes £12,000. (I know that at least it was £5,000 for the solution of the problem with an additional £1,000 for "seeing justice done," I am unsure if the Duke's doubling the amount at the end of the story is in the original, though.)

Yes, the Duke does pay double. At the end, Holmes refers to the horseshoes done up to make cow-tracks as the second-most interesting object he'd seen. When asked

"And the first?"

Holmes folded up his check and placed it carefully in his notebook. "I am a poor man," said he, as he patted it affectionately, and thrust it into the depths of his inner pocket.

Doesn't sound like that well off a fellow, does it? ;)

Yes, the Duke does pay double. At the end, Holmes refers to the horseshoes done up to make cow-tracks as the second-most interesting object he'd seen. When asked

Doesn't sound like that well off a fellow, does it? ;)

Ah, thank you. That does help. If we go with the idea of a build as Holmes late in his career, then the Perk: Money (Well-Off) could be justified. In The Man with the Twisted Lip it was noted that £700 a year qualified as "a gentleman's income." So by that—if the Perk is adjusted for the momentary values of the times—would have earned Holmes just a touch over 17-year's worth...not too shabby, that.

Let's see... very roughly, in the period covered by the years 1880 to 1890, £1 was worth about $4.40. So...the £12,000 paid by the Duke of Holderness comes out to about $52,800.

By the standard for the Money Perk in Pulp Hero, that would make it the 5-point Perk. (By the modern-day version of the perk, he'd not fare so well, no.)

Reference: Measuring Worth website.

Not sure about "seduction". Did Holmes ever seduce anyone ? I thought that he was generally disdainful of women.

Charles Augustus Milverton's maid.

"You would not call me a marrying man, Watson?"

"No, indeed!"

"You'll be interested to hear that I am engaged."

"My dear fellow! I congrat ----"

"To Milverton's housemaid."

"Good heavens, Holmes!"

"I wanted information, Watson."

"Surely you have gone too far?"

"It was a most necessary step. I am a plumber with a rising business, Escott by name. I have walked out with her each evening, and I have talked with her. Good heavens, those talks! However, I have got all I wanted. I know Milverton's house as I know the palm of my hand."

"But the girl, Holmes?"

He shrugged his shoulders.

"You can't help it, my dear Watson. You must play your cards as best you can when such a stake is on the table. However, I rejoice to say that I have a hated rival who will certainly cut me out the instant that my back is turned. What a splendid night it is!"

Sounds like seduction to me.

Mary Ann

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for echoing what I have said within my circle of friends for a number of years.

Too many times, we have seen the Nigel Bruce interpretation of Watson portrayed. I for one would love to see a confident, intelligent, competent assistant to the great Consulting Detective....:thumbup:

See David Burke and then Edward Hardwicke (my favourite) as Dr Watson against Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes in the British ITV adaptation of the stories. Some say Jeremy Brett's interpretation of Holmes is the best yet. Certainly Burke and Hardwicke fulfill your wish to see an intelligent, competent Watson.

Also see Ian Hart ("The Hound of the Baskervilles", with Richard Roxburgh), Kenneth Walsh (who did three Holmes films with Matt Frewer) or Andre Morrell in the Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee Hammer version of "Hound".

I think Burke is my favorite Watson (he plays him with an incredible sense of humor, which I think you'd have to have to live with Holmes), with Hardwicke a close second.