Hidden Swords

yamamura

A friend of my and I got into a discussion on hidden swords and different ways of hiding them from plain view. While we both agree the best way to handle Katana Space ala BESM or Highlander was to buy Concealment (with GM permission of course) with the limitation Blades Only (-¼ to -½ depending on whether it was all blades or only a particular kind), we were having a problem on how to best to deal with blades summoned or even pulled out from one own body. I know of 2 examples in anime; Anthy and Arashi where swords are pulled out the body (though I am not sure if Arashi counts as I do believe the sword remains apart of her and thus not worth any Foci limitation. Also I do believe you have to win the duel for the sword of the Rose to be yours but it can be knocked out of Utena’s hand during combat). So what is the best way to have an inter-dimensional sheath?

G

There are dozens of ways

My personal take is instant change with a limit weapon only (-1/2), with perhaps some other limits about some form of concealment.

The weapon should be bought as an inde weapon, or focus, or just bought as per normal.

There is always the transform option, allowing you to create a sword (or transform it away)

Summoning is a personal favorite as well.

• 2 weeks later...

No focus might be the way to go. That way the attack is always there when you need it.

You could put a Misellaneous Limitation that restricts when the sword or other weapon is available. Only When enraged is a nasty one,or (in the case of Highlander) Only When facing Another Immortal in Mortal Combat (in neitherthe movie or the TV series did the hero use his sword against normals).

On the other hand, the various macLeaods were always wearing coats long enough to hide those whopping great swords is they were slungbehind the back and drawn under the shoulder. This would be Concelament coupled with Distinctive features (always wears trenchoat-length coats no matter what the weather).