Hero All-Stars 2008

Darren Watts

Hey all! Time to give your advice on this year's all-star game, which I'll be running at cons all year long. I've already decided to dip back to the misty origins of the All-Stars and run another Victorian adventure in 1885, since it predates DOJ and most people didn't see that one. (Those who were stumping for Los Angeles 1955, do not fret- that will probably be next year's.)

So the PCs will definitely include Sherlock Holmes, the Lone Ranger and Tonto (played by two players, since Tonto himself is both pretty dang useful and a hoot to roleplay), and Alice of Wonderland fame. I haven't decided yet on the last two; some possibilities include Kwai Chang Caine, the Rifleman, Jim West, Phileas Fogg, the extant Phantom and Dr. Doolittle. Anybody else come to mind?

Also, need more suggestions for general filler concepts and secondary villains. (For example, Angelus, Drusilla, Darla and Spike are currently wandering the world together committing various heinous acts- they're always fun to toss into a story.) So help me out- what needs to be in the game? dw

Re: Hero All-Stars 2008

I've always thought that Mowgli of The Jungle Books fame would be a very useful addition to any Victorian hero team. If you're only familiar with the Disney cartoon version, you should know that Mowgli as an adult is like Tarzan before Tarzan - ferally strong and quick, animal-keen senses, a superb hunter and tracker, and can talk to beasts.

It sounds like you have your primary villain for the piece already established, but Robur the Conqueror is IMHO an often overlooked villain from the fiction of the era. Who wouldn't have a use for a megalomaniacal genius inventor?

For a minor villain, since you have Holmes I highly recommend working in Irene Adler. Also, is the version of Jim West in your game the television or movie version? If the former, whether or not you use Miguelito Loveless you might find a place for Dr. Loveless's giant henchman, Voltaire, played by a young Richard Kiel.

What about Brisco County Jr, Zorro, Alan Quartermain, Jonah Hex, Bat-Lash, Any of the Marvel cowpoke, El Diablo, The Man with No Name, Wild Bill Hickock/Cody, Frank Hopkins, Calamity Jane, Alexander Hartdegen, Johnathan Harker, Mina Harker, Professor Abraham Van Helsing, and, of course, Batman by Gaslight ;)

I was going to mention some of those by Sketchpad but he covered everyone I could think of at first, but you know with Angelus and Spike, you leave space for Frankenstein's monster, any breed of werewolf, Lord Baltimore, maybe Time Cop, Morgan or any of the wizards from the Dresden files as well as earlier knights of the cross.

Geez that's a mix right there.

CES

Frankenstein's Monster could easily be alive - it was last seen in the Arctic some 70 years earlier, but there's no reason it would be dead - or it might be discovered frozen somewhere(dead? Who could tell for sure?). Again, the book version is far more interesting than the movie version.

An ageing Captain Nemo might still be about, for a nautical leg of the adventure.

Teddy Roosevelt was ranching in North Dakota (according to wikipedia) in 1885.

And then there's John Henry, the steel-drivin man, who would have been active around this period.

The Man with No Name

He's Civil War era (as seen in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly), but if you go with the idea that William 'Bill' Munny is the same guy (or is "close enough") you could have an aging gunfighter trying to redeem himself.

Don't know if you have setting/adventure ideas yet, but it occured to me that the French were trying to build the Panama Canal, with all the disease, discomfort, and jungle adventure possibilities one might want.

And, I just (re)discovered, GIlbert & Sullivan's The Mikado premiered in London. A must-see for good Victorians! "A wand'ring minstrel I..." :)

I still say you need to do one where the PCs are all Bond girls who have to team up to rescue James from something. ;)

I think it would be more fun if the PCs are all Bond himself! Turns out, "James Bond" is sort of an ageny code name for their top spy. Over the years, several agents have held this role. There's the gruff Scotsman, the smug Brit, the street-smart American, etc.

I think it would be more fun if the PCs are all Bond himself! Turns out' date=' "James Bond" is sort of an ageny code name for their top spy. Over the years, several agents have held this role. There's the gruff Scotsman, the smug Brit, the street-smart American, etc.[/quote']

And one of them is Woody Allen.

Wong Fei Hung is definately usable at that time period.

A very young Henry Jones (Indiana Jones's father)

as for villians?

Mr. Hyde

Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China (he's been around for well over 2 millenia!)

Jack the Ripper (his crimes were committed in 1888 and his identity was never discovered)

All of these are probably a little late, but will fit the era pretty well. You might want a science adventurer or gadgeteer. You could use Johnny Brainerd and his Steam Man of the Prairies. Hmmm... Another one from the same thread is Loveday Brooke, probably one of the better female detectives.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this as a PC yet....

ZORRO! :rockon:

In the various prose stories and films, the California that Don Diego de la Vega protects is obviously pre-United States governance. Spanish control of the region ended in 1821, and Mexican in 1846. 1885 would be much too late for the original Zorro, or even his successor as depicted in the most recent Hollywood films, unless one postulates a continuing succession a la the Phantom.

(Oh, and Sketchpad already mentioned him.) :P

In the various prose stories and films, the California that Don Diego de la Vega protects is obviously pre-United States governance. Spanish control of the region ended in 1821, and Mexican in 1846. 1885 would be much too late for the original Zorro, or even his successor as depicted in the most recent Hollywood films, unless one postulates a continuing succession a la the Phantom.

(Oh, and Sketchpad already mentioned him.) :P

Indeed, I was thinking of the Antonio Banderas version...or perhaps his successor.

And I missed his mention in the deluge of names Sketchpat assaulted us with!