The Secret History of America.

lapsedgamer

Re: The Secret History of America.

I'd definitely recommend making Manly Wade Wellman's fiction a priority if you're planning on having a folklore-based occult angle to the hidden history of America. DVDs of the TV series Carnivàle might also be a useful resource, more for mood and style than the actual mythology explored (though there is a Masonic angle to some parts).

I'd definitely recommend making Manly Wade Wellman's fiction a priority if you're planning on having a folklore-based occult angle to the hidden history of America. DVDs of the TV series Carnivàle might also be a useful resource' date=' more for mood and style than the actual mythology explored (though there is a Masonic angle to some parts).[/quote']

I have watched both seasons of Carnivale on DVD. Good call. I liked the show a lot, and not just because I have a thing for Cynthia Ettinger (Rita Sue). The setting of the show is a little late, and a bit smaller in scale, than the one I'm thinking about, but the tone is just about right.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, if you want it realistic. Do keep in mind that very few Southerners actually did own slaves. (I heard some estimate at 14%). The vast majority didnt. Most of the people who fought for the Confederacy would likely have been taking the view that the "Yankees" were invaders.

I do have to mention a little of my background. I live in the South (southern VA), and my ancestors have at least back to the Revolution. A did have a direct ancestor who was the only son to carry on the name because his 3 older brothers died fighting for the South. (1 of which died in a POW camp up North after being captured, from disease.) I do have to admit to getting touchy on occasion with Hollywood portraying every single person who fought for the Confederacy as ignorant, slave-owning rednecks. Especially, given that my ancestors were pretty much dirt poor farmers until the factories/industry took hold in the area in the 1910's. I cant say what their feelings were about the subject, but I suspect they probably were like the majority just something they assumed was a fact of life and largely ignored because it rarely if ever had much of a factor in their life.

Note: Sorry, if I did somehow offend. Just wanted to let you know that depending on the players' ancestries it could get volatile if not careful. It is a cool concept, so that would be a shame.

Well, if you want it realistic. Do keep in mind that very few Southerners actually did own slaves. (I heard some estimate at 14%). The vast majority didnt. Most of the people who fought for the Confederacy would likely have been taking the view that the "Yankees" were invaders.

I do have to mention a little of my background. I live in the South (southern VA), and my ancestors have at least back to the Revolution. A did have a direct ancestor who was the only son to carry on the name because his 3 older brothers died fighting for the South. (1 of which died in a POW camp up North after being captured, from disease.) I do have to admit to getting touchy on occasion with Hollywood portraying every single person who fought for the Confederacy as ignorant, slave-owning rednecks. Especially, given that my ancestors were pretty much dirt poor farmers until the factories/industry took hold in the area in the 1910's. I cant say what their feelings were about the subject, but I suspect they probably were like the majority just something they assumed was a fact of life and largely ignored because it rarely if ever had much of a factor in their life.

Note: Sorry, if I did somehow offend. Just wanted to let you know that depending on the players' ancestries it could get volatile if not careful. It is a cool concept, so that would be a shame.

Nope. You certainly did not offend. Your statements were based on a well thought out mix of fact and personal opinion, and were completely reasonable. I once read a book called Everything You Think You Know is Wrong. It's part of a series of books and videos called Disinformation. There was a blurb about a number of Blacks who actually fought on the side of the Confederacy, and I believe that they used a number very similar to yours for the percentage of actual slave owners fighting for the Confederates.

If you want to include some degree of non-imported weirdness then you could do worse than to read Myths and Legends of Our Own Land by Charles M. Skinner. I have a rather lovely two volume edition from a hundred years ago, but more conveniently you can follow that link to a free e-text on Project Gutenberg.

If you want to include some degree of non-imported weirdness then you could do worse than to read Myths and Legends of Our Own Land by Charles M. Skinner. I have a rather lovely two volume edition from a hundred years ago' date=' but more conveniently you can follow that link to a free e-text on [i']Project Gutenberg.[/i]

Thanks for the link.

• 3 months later...

Nope. You certainly did not offend. Your statements were based on a well thought out mix of fact and personal opinion' date=' and were completely reasonable. I once read a book called Everything You Think You Know is Wrong. It's part of a series of books and videos called Disinformation. There was a blurb about a number of Blacks who actually fought on the side of the Confederacy, and I believe that they used a number very similar to yours for the percentage of actual slave owners fighting for the Confederates.[/quote'] Is that one of Russ Kick's books ? I have one edited by him with the title "Everything You Know Is Wrong".

Is that one of Russ Kick's books ? I have one edited by him with the title "Everything You Know Is Wrong".

That's right. I have a couple of his books that I want to read. Everytime I see one for sale cheap I pounce on it, so they tend to pile up.